View Single Post
Akrasiat

Old 02-13-2012, 12:08 PM

My favorite home-cooked dish would probably be stir-fried Chinese eggplant with pork. The part that makes it really delicious is the sauce, and I think the kind that my dad makes is perfect, and he makes it so that it's not too greasy but not dry at all, either. He mixes his own all-purpose spice blend and makes the sauce from scratch, but I don't think even he knows what he puts in there.

He's not cagey about it, but his answers are so vague ... "Salt, pepper, hot sauce, soy sauce... I think some vinegar and sugar... wine? Yeah, definitely put some rice wine in. Um. Ginger? Anise? Garlic? Christ, I don't fucking know. Just put shit in it until it tastes good, and if you put too much of something in, add some water or just make sure you serve it with more rice. It's not that fucking hard."

My favorite thing that I make is my apple butter and balsamic vinegar roasted pork loin. I combined these two recipes:
Apple Butter Pork Loin Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Roast Pork Loin Recipe - Balsamic Roast Pork Loin Recipe
and the secret is marinating the pork loin in the sauce for at least forty-eight hours beforehand.