Muggles Running Amok
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to Muggles Running Amok Send a message via MSN to Muggles Running Amok

Old 05-25-2007, 12:24 AM

Okay, I was told by my history teacher in a report that she took points off because some of my sentences were passive, not the tone of the sentences, but just...the sentences. My tone was actually spot-on opinionated. It was a paper about point of view. But, anyway, she told me my compound sentences were passive. And then she told me that everything else about it was great, but that I'm not going to learn anything new if that's all I hear. Sure, I agree with that, but she could have at least explained it a bit.

I asked my English teacher how compound sentences could be passive. She gave me this look and said, "Actually, your writing style with your sentence structure is passive. A lot of kids think it sounds better, but it's not." And she's always telling me how great I write. And a lot of people think I write really well! So I'm just like, sad that I don't get something about writing. It's my strongpoint. So I'm just kind of like, "D:..." confused. And I asked her what makes a sentence passive. She said that a passive sentence has a verb acting on the noun, and that better sentences have the nouns actually doing something [or something like that]. I think I got it for about two seconds, but then I lost it. The bell rang, telling me I should sit down, so I just sat down and pondered to myself what the crap she just said.

So, can somebody in the literature/writer's forum please tell me how I can make my writing sound better than it already is?

Temmon
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 05-25-2007, 01:26 AM

It's the way the sentence is constructed. :3

Like... "The girl built the house" is active voice, while "The house was built by the girl" is passive voice. People, especially teachers, usually think that passive voice sounds weaker than active voice, so they tend to take points off when they find it. An easy way of telling if a sentence is passive instead of active is if the sentence has a form of the verb "be" and another verb, it's probably passive voice. :3

Muggles Running Amok
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to Muggles Running Amok Send a message via MSN to Muggles Running Amok

Old 05-25-2007, 02:13 AM

Okay... Kind of makes a little more sense now.

Thanks.

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned
Send a message via MSN to Trinitydoll

Old 09-29-2007, 01:25 AM

yeah Im a teacher of literature and I agree xD hehehe if you need help just ask me ok?