lydia1020
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-29-2011, 07:54 PM

These groups have alot in common, and you'd think they'd get along really well, so why is it that my gay male friends are constantly bashing on lesbians, and same with lesbian woman?

Sizzla
Gangsta Biatch
Send a message via AIM to Sizzla

Old 07-29-2011, 07:58 PM

I went ahead and moved your thread for you lydia1020. :D

lydia1020
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-29-2011, 07:59 PM

Thanks.

Nekochan5345
I ate Jesus, he tasted like stai...

Old 07-29-2011, 09:02 PM

Me and my friends typically don't make fun of gay men, and if we do its not hostile and always in good fun. I mean, I'm just as queer as gay guys are (just, you know, not with men XD), why should i have a problem with them just because were on different sides of the same team? The only person we make fun of is my one friends cousin, but that's because its hes family and the "sassy little brother" figure of the group. It has nothing to do with his sexuality, and besides, he pokes fun right back at us :D
That's just my group of friends though.
As to why, well i think it has a lot to do with different genders, and how comfortable they are with each other. Even within groups there's a lot of comfort in "sticking with your own crowd." I'm sure there's more to it than that, like stereotypes and all that, but i think it has a lot to do with clashing personalities, and sticking to the group your comfortable with.

lydia1020
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-29-2011, 09:24 PM

yeah. you're probably right (the friend I'm referring to will sometimes come over to hang out and if there's not a lot of people, or most of the people are girls, he'll say something like "we need to get more boys over here" or something)

voenne
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-29-2011, 09:31 PM

To be honest, this is the first I've heard of this... I've never experienced any bashing between gay/lesbian friends of mine. I had a roommate once, who was a lesbian, and her best friend was a gay male (with a good age gap between the two). I'm used to that between the two groups. Obviously, this isn't always the case, but anger tends to come from fear/intimidation. But the reason for that, I'm not sure. It would be nice to get some insight from others.

lydia1020
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-29-2011, 09:34 PM

wow, this is starting to sound like an isolated event then. I saw this happening with some of my gay friends and some of my lesbian friends and thought it might happen other places as well. but then again, I live in kind of an odd city (las vegas, nv)

voenne
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-29-2011, 09:39 PM

What it always comes down to is the individual. I'm from California, so I'm used to being around people who are completely open, and I choose my friends wisely. But then again, I don't know everyone in the state, so I know it must exist here as well as everywhere else.

Nekochan5345

Old 07-29-2011, 09:45 PM

I'm sure its not an entirely isolated thing. People make fun of people outside of their little groups, its everywhere really. Its an in group bias sort of thing. Because your apart of Group A you feel that your superior to Group B. Maybe superior isn't the word, but because your in a different group, its easier and more acceptable to be critical of other groups than your own. That's why i think cliques and bullies in high school are so vicious.
So, I'm positive it's not just your friends, but i think, or at least hope, most lgbt people at least realize that were all pretty much in the same boat and we shouldn't be giving each other crap while we still have so much crap to deal with from other people. We shouldn't be giving anyone crap because their different for that matter. XD

lydia1020
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-29-2011, 09:57 PM

see, the thing that really makes me wonder about this, is that my gay friend is cool with everyone EXCEPT lesbians. He doesn't hate them, but it seems to me that he has some sort of bias against them, and I was wondering if this is normal. (and my lesbian friends are more of the masculine lesbians) Well, that's been answered already that it doesn't exactly seem to be normal.

Nekochan5345

Old 07-29-2011, 10:15 PM

Maybe he just doesn't like very masculine people? I really don't know. I don't know this person. For all i know this MAY be fairly common, but from my experience its really not. Then again, I'm pretty much the only queer girl I know, all my friends are bi or trans...so i dont exactly have a lot of experience with this in the first place :/
If he doesn't like them because of their personality or just that they are so masculine, then that's ok. He just doesn't get along with them. Not everyone is comparable with everyone else. If he doesn't like them BECAUSE their lesbians, then that's a something you might want to talk to him about. Because that sort of prejudice is WAY to ironic and must be dealt with post haste!! XD

lydia1020
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-29-2011, 10:24 PM

well, I'm not certain whether its a prejudice or because they're very masculine. He himself is a pretty feminine guy and from what I understand, he prefers to be the submissive.

Ebil
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 07-30-2011, 01:34 PM

I've never come across gay vs. lesbian bashing in my time. I'm a gay male and I've got friends who are lesbians, we get along fine, same as I get along fine with some straight women.
Then I guess maybe it's because I couldn't care less about someone's sexuality, unless I'm in to them (which wouldn't happen with a woman) what they like in their bed is none of my business, so rather than seeing women as lesbian or straight, I just see them as ...people o_o
If they're a decent sort of person, I'm not going to bash them. If they're a lesbian and a complete bitch to everyone, then sure, I'll join in the bashing, same as I would with a non-lesbian who wasn't a very nice person. The bashing would have nothing to do with their sexuality and everything to do with their humanity.
If someone's a decent human being, I'm going to be decent towards them... as much as I can be anyway.

Now what I have come across which was quite odd was the huge amount of bashing going on between gays (both men and women) and bisexuals. I have no idea why, but some of it gets quite heated. Went to a Pride march years ago (never again, was not my cup of tea), and the verbal fights and general cattyness between the gays section and the bisexual section of people was scary. I really thought it would get physical a few times.
Then there were the drag queens and they were a whole class of their own, they really looked down on everyone else like we were something they'd stepped in. I guess we didn't have enough sequins for them. They got less bashing though, I think mainly because they looked like they would take things to physical bashing and they also looked like they were more than capable of winning.
Seemed so strange that a Pride march would be such a hostile place. Supposed to be all about everyone being accepted, but the hostility amongst the groups made it quite clear that the majority of participants couldn't even accept each other.

Nekochan5345

Old 07-30-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebil View Post
Now what I have come across which was quite odd was the huge amount of bashing going on between gays (both men and women) and bisexuals. I have no idea why, but some of it gets quite heated. Went to a Pride march years ago (never again, was not my cup of tea), and the verbal fights and general cattyness between the gays section and the bisexual section of people was scary. I really thought it would get physical a few times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebil View Post
Seemed so strange that a Pride march would be such a hostile place. Supposed to be all about everyone being accepted, but the hostility amongst the groups made it quite clear that the majority of participants couldn't even accept each other.
Now THAT makes me mad. Because I HAVE seen this. The bisexual part at least, i don't know any drag queens XD.
My friends have had to deal with this and, from what they've told me, they get a lot of flack from all sides. Straight people call them sluts and gays want them to choose one gender of the other, or think there just afraid of admitting that their really gay or something like that.
Its sad that that kind of stuff happens even at a pride event. :C
How can we preach acceptance if we can't even accept each other?

Mystic
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 07-30-2011, 02:25 PM

It's because there's a lot of people that claim to be "bisexual" who never even been in a homosexual relationship in their lives and act like they have. That's why gays and lesbians get annoyed with them as a group. I will not date any "bisexual" women for that reason. If someone is truly bisexual then I have no problem with them. There's a lot of girls who claim to be lesbian too who aren't. It gets annoying quick.

I get if you're not sure and want to date a girl to see if it's your thing but to flat out say you're gay when you know you're not is something that annoys me. Around here there isn't much hate between gays and lesbians but Ii do know a few people who are gay/lesbian that won't date bisexuals either . It's not a hate thing with me, I honestly have no problem with people as long as they're cool with me. I dated two girls who claimed they were "bisexual". One cheated on me with a guy and the other didn't like the idea of kissing girls. Needless to say I dumped her pretty quick.

I noticed that in the community there is hate between gay/lesbians and transsexuals or gender queer people.

Last edited by Mystic; 07-30-2011 at 02:31 PM..

WinglessFairy
Teh Awesome
Send a message via AIM to WinglessFairy Send a message via Yahoo to WinglessFairy

Old 07-31-2011, 10:13 PM

I haven't seen this to be the case either; My gay friends haven't had any animosity towards lesbians, and neither have the few lesbians I've known.

it could be they have something against the opposite gender just in general

lydia1020
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-01-2011, 11:40 AM

I think you're right, WinglessFairy, I think it may just be that they tend to steer clear of the other gender in general (I have honestly only seen my gay friend hang out with guys).

On the bisexual/gay or lesbian/transgender and crossdressers, I've seen examples of all three of these. For example, one of my (bi) friends makes fun of one of my other (supposedly bi) friend because he's only ever had sex with a guy. And my crossdresser friend had a problem with most of the people from GSA (gay straight alliance) at school because they were talking behind his back, and accusing him of things he would never think of doing things (hitting on the teacher, mainly) that he didn't do. (he's straight, but likes crossdressing. The teacher was a guy) Then they went online and sent him a message over facebook, telling him that they wanted him to quit. And they got pissed off at him for telling jokes (not gay jokes either, just random jokes).

Nekochan5345

Old 08-01-2011, 03:13 PM

Your GSA did that?! Oh heeeellz no! Smack those idiots! SMACK THEM HARD! GSA's are supposed to be the safe place for LGBT kids and their allies to go to get AWAY from bulling, not subjected to it. Rrrr my inner raging teacher wants to go to this school and scold the living daylights out of them!

WinglessFairy
Teh Awesome
Send a message via AIM to WinglessFairy Send a message via Yahoo to WinglessFairy

Old 08-01-2011, 07:09 PM

I agree with Neko!

ugh, people...but that's highschool for ya.

My gay friends at my first highschool said they couldn't come out there because they would have been beaten up and stuff. I believe them. When we all went to the second highschool though, they came out and everyone was cool about it ^.^

hehe, my boyfriend's a straight crossdresser, he's has no problems with anyone on account of their gender, but like me he has a very lose sense on gender identity.

Dest1218
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-01-2011, 10:27 PM

Maybe it's just your friends - not all lesbians hate gay guys and vice versa. At the same time, why would they all get along? Not all homosexuals get along just like any other group of people - I don't see why anyone would expect them to.

Bashing each other seems sort of silly though - they both probably get enough abuse from others without abusing each other.

lydia1020
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-02-2011, 03:33 AM

yeah. we actually were going to form a group and all go to the school cross-dressed to make a point (the point being that we're the only ones who can mess with him, and then we only do it in jest). It pissed a bunch of people off.

Koako
.::Playing - She Aint You - C. B...

Old 08-08-2011, 01:51 PM

I agree with you mystic. It irks my nerves when male or female "claims" to be bisexual. I have a son and unfortunately had 3 failed relationships with females because they were indecisive about where they wanted to go.

But to touch base on the topic. Its def not an isolated issue. I see it sll the time and its worse between flamboyant gay males and hardcore lesbian studs where i see this the most occurring. I personslly love all until YOU rub my the wrong way. I dont care if youre gay, lesbian, black, white, green, or blue.:)

Glitter Golgotha
lonesome and loathsome

Old 08-09-2011, 06:08 AM

I've never heard of or seen this happening...
Anyway, treat people like individuals--not groups. Just because two or more people happen to be homosexuals doesn't mean they have to like anything about each other. Whatever it is that's causing the people you've encountered to have such negative opinions of other groups of people, it's their own personal issues. A person's sexuality doesn't make that person like or dislike certain types of people.