View Single Post
IadulDraculai
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 01-27-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
4) 100%? I'm not really sure what you mean. Beauty is based on social conditioning, self-esteem is based on social conditioning, social interaction is based on social conditioning, so I'm not sure what else this could possibly be.
According to sociologist Prof. Elizabeth Schweigert, girls are conditioned, more so than men, to politely try to downplay a compliment. It's a socialized issue, becuase it's something self-consciously taught since childhood by peers and parents.

As for #5
I think in some ways, everyone is beautiful in their own way, but I do admit, (and you have my permission to call me shallow if you like, but I refuse to lie to anyone even in forum) that there are some people, male and female, that are truly horrible in appearance.
I also believe that any 'ugliness' can be overridden by being a beautiful person in spirit.

But in this thread, more so than inner beauty, I wanted to focus on outer beauty and the social implications. Arguably, it's harder for girls to achieve the contemporary perception of beauty, and the psychology behind it can cause them to truly believe they are unattractive. In my opinion.