View Single Post
Philomel
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 01-28-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IadulDraculai View Post
According to sociologist Prof. Elizabeth Schweigert, girls are conditioned, more so than men, to politely try to downplay a compliment. It's a socialized issue, becuase it's something self-consciously taught since childhood by peers and parents.
I know, that was my question. I'm not sure how it could be anything other than conditioning that results in self-deprecating behaviour.

Quote:
As for #5
I think in some ways, everyone is beautiful in their own way, but I do admit, (and you have my permission to call me shallow if you like, but I refuse to lie to anyone even in forum) that there are some people, male and female, that are truly horrible in appearance.
I won't call you shallow; everyone has their preferences, and the body is just as important as the spirit. However, I do not believe that anyone should feel they have a right to influence the way someone else views themselves, in the sense that, just because I may not find someone attractive, that doesn't mean that they should find themselves less attractive. And since beauty is subjective, if they believe they're beautiful, they're right. My feelings on the matter don't really come into play.