View Single Post
IadulDraculai
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 01-29-2011, 08:38 PM

@Lorika
Quote:
In that case, why in the world do some of your proposed discussion topics merit responses such as this? *EXTRAVAGANT DOWNWARDS GESTURE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IadulDraculai
Quote:
As for #5
I think in some ways, everyone is beautiful in their own way, but I do admit, (and you have my permission to call me shallow if you like, but I refuse to lie to anyone even in forum) that there are some people, male and female, that are truly horrible in appearance.
This fall into the previews of my own concept of 'beauty'. While someone may call someone like Snookie or Paris Hilton beautiful, I personally, find them repulsive. Obviously, they believe they are 'beautiful'.

People are so concerned about beauty over humility, and frankly, I've met some girls who are what many people would call
'plain', whom I found to be possible some of the most beautiful women on the face of the planet.

@Feral phantom:
Quote:
So do you believe you should not tell someone who says they are ugly that they are not ugly?
This actually raises an interesting question in my head.

On one hand, people need to keep in mind that beauty is solely in the eyes of the beholder, but on the other hand, lying isn't good, either, even if they're white lies.

It's a very 'gray' issue when people tend to paint things black and white.

This is where it gets confusing; people shelter other people to the 'truth' (if it can be called that), but then in the next breath they rip them down.

It is, in many ways, a cultural and social circle-jerk.
One minute one is told they are beautiful and attractive, and the next they are told they were ugly.

@Night Watcher
Quote:
People should be allowed to feel good about themselves and make a decision about how they look, and not be constantly criticised or judged by anyone.
While I agree with you here, our society puts a ridiculous amount of importance on physical appearance, so it's impossible to ignore the concept of 'pretty' and 'ugly', and that, unfortunately, make it an issue we can't dismiss easily.

Our world is very 'black and white' about these sorts of things and from an early age, we''re taught to determine our worth based on our appearance. Are we Cinderella, or are we the Ugly Step Sister?