View Single Post
Admonish Misconstruction
\ (•◡•) /

Old 07-15-2012, 03:52 AM

I don't need music, movies, and software to live. I'm not Robin Hood or some political activist. Maybe I'm a little lazy and maybe I want to choose where my money goes (I donated $100 to the Blue Scholars for their album, for example). There's no real moral justification for it. You can argue that it's ethical but I think the counter arguments would be just as if not better. You can argue that pirating does not hugely negatively effect the music/game/movie/etc industry (decline in sales due to other factors that aren't pirating for example) but these arguments aren't arguing against whether it's right or wrong but whether or not it's really hurting anyone that much.

So maybe I pirate. I don't have a great ethical comeback against people say it's wrong. I can argue it into the ground from the ethical side and somewhat from the legal side. In the end though, I think somewhere along the line it can be argued as unethical or just selfish.

---

On the related subject of government current attempts to combat piracy (I'm looking at you, America) is unconstitutional, dangerous, and I would argue immoral. Looking back through history these sort of plans don't generally go well for anyone involved.

Last edited by Admonish Misconstruction; 09-17-2012 at 04:09 AM..