View Single Post
realAniram
Teh Forever Newb
Send a message via MSN to realAniram

Old 10-11-2011, 11:13 PM

I've always been a bit closed off about my religion (I'm Wiccan, btw), unless someone directly asks me 'What religion are you?' and refuses any cop out I might have, I'll just redirect the conversation or not comment on it. I'm so brave and heroic.

Anyway, my brother is an atheist and way more open and cool about it than I could ever be. If ever I hear someone bashing atheists, I always want to protect them (because nobody's an atheist where I live) but of course my self preservation tendencies block me.

What I'm getting at, though, is that I'm of the mind that everyone's right to an extent, because they believe they are. So bashing doesn't make sense to me. Of course, I've come into contact with a lot of closed mindedness, because I live in an area where the majority is almost exclusively people of one religion (or people raised in that religion who aren't active anymore).

I think the main reason people act like how you and I have experienced is because they're too afraid of a world where everything just happens, no reason. They want to feel like after they die there's something more than just nothingness, that they can exist in some way afterwords. If you think about it, not existing is pretty damned terrifying (at least to most people).