View Single Post
fade_to_grey
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-22-2011, 09:59 PM

Ok... so I'm an atheist. Whenever someone at school finds out, I'm immediately labeled by them as being 'impure' or 'possessed' or even 'evil'. This kind of behavior comes from those who believe in a god, whether they be Christian or another religion. A merciful God who accepts everyone for who they are... unless the happen to be a gay or lesbian or if they refuse to accept Jesus as their savior, etc. All of those people are cast into hell, sent to have their soul tortured for all eternity. Some merciful God. The majority of these people tend to be Christian girls, not to stereotype, but they are. A few days ago in English class, we were studying works of literature from the Puritan era. I found much of what we read insulting to anyone who is in fact not a Christian. Christians are put on a pedestal, almost like they are gods themselves. As if believing in God makes them better than everyone else. I mean, i don't believe any of it, but it still hurts to think that people actually believe this. They believe that people like me are 'misguided' or 'lost' or whatever. They think i need 'help'. Does anyone else find this strange? Please share any of your experiences. here is one of mine:

So like i said, in English, we are studying the Puritan era. We got into a mild religious discussion. So i posed a question to no one in particular: What makes Christianity any better or more pure than any other religion? I got SO MANY sneers, giggles, and glares from the majority of the class. As if staring at me like that was going to make me take back what i said or make me disappear or something.

So anyway... all Christians are welcome to refute anything I've said here. Maybe someone can explain this to me. Anyone else is welcome to state their opinion regarding what i have said. Well, have at it. I will check this thread daily and reply to any posts.

Other beliefs are welcome.