IadulDraculai
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 01-27-2011, 07:55 AM

I saw someone post something that briefly mentioned this in a thread in the Life Issues forum, and I thought it needed some debate.

They mentioned that pretty girls only say they're ugly to gain attention and to hear 'No, no, you are pretty!'.

I, personally, tend to disagree in some cases.

They key words being 'in some cases'.

So here's a couple of questions I'd like debaters to think about;

1) Do some 'pretty' girls not necessarily 'realize' they're actually pretty (i.e. someone who has spent their entire life being told otherwise, etc)?

2)Do girls actually say they're unattractive to gain attention? Does it work?

3) Are they being 'modest' when they say they're unattractive.

4) How much of that reaction is socially conditioned (they act that way because they're told to in a social situation, whether it be parental or peer influence)?

5) Finally, what about 'ugly' girls who think/say they're pretty?

Lorika
I am poop now

Old 01-27-2011, 08:30 AM

I think it depends on the person. I feel sorry for anyone who feels like they have to put themselves down just so that other people can pick them back up.

Quote:
Who's to say that they aren't? "Ugly" and "pretty" are subjective, just like "good," "evil," "virtue" and all of those other lovely things.

Aspinou
Blurgh

Old 01-27-2011, 12:26 PM

To say that "pretty girls" only say they're ugly to hear the oposite is of course a terrible generalization. But I also think that it can be a way some use to get attention or to feel better about themselves.

I'd also like to mention that there is a compulsive disorder called BDD (body dysmorphic disorder), people who in other eyes look normal but they still think that they are incredibly ugly or defected in ways. I think I read somewhere that it is almost as common among men as women though.

I would write more on this but I don't have much time right now, I'll come back later :P

monstahh`
faerie graveyard

Old 01-27-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
1) Do some 'pretty' girls not necessarily 'realize' they're actually pretty (i.e. someone who has spent their entire life being told otherwise, etc)?

2)Do girls actually say they're unattractive to gain attention? Does it work?

3) Are they being 'modest' when they say they're unattractive.

4) How much of that reaction is socially conditioned (they act that way because they're told to in a social situation, whether it be parental or peer influence)?

1) Yes.

2) Yes, girls do, not ALL girls, but some. I've done it before and I know female friends of mine have done it. But not all of my friends have done it. (At least not in front of me.)
I've also seen men do it, but in a different fashion, mostly when they're older and in an exclusive relationship, and then they're all, "is my dick too small?" :sweat:

3) HA! Modest? Most girls I know don't know the meaning of the word. I think in most cases, they're not just being modest. There are a lot easier less put-downy ways to be modest about your looks.

4) I think a lot of girls learn to "fish" like that from their peers. I saw other girls elicit a positive response, so I tried it and got a positive response. Viola, new habit for socially awkward insecure teen to have a nice flood of compliments once in a while.

5) Beauty is subjective. Maybe they think they're beautiful. Nothing wrong with that, more power to 'em.

<I'm just saying this all from personal observation, I could not be speaking for the masses, simply the men/women I knew in school.>

Philomel
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 01-27-2011, 04:16 PM

I should preface this by saying that beauty is entirely subjective. Personally, I think everyone's pretty beautiful, it's their attitudes that are ugly. So it's difficult for me to really talk about "pretty" girls.

1) Yes. When you create an idea of "perfection" that is, in all truth, impossible, those who hold themselves up to such a standard will become more and more convinced of how far they are from it the closer they get.

2) I think some do, though it's hardly limited to one sex. Self-deprecation as a means of attention-seeking or endearment is not limited to physical beauty, either.

3) Not modest so much as desperately trying to not be immodest. People, particularly women, are taught that to acknowledge their greatness is somehow an offense against other people, and that you can't possibly admit your beauty, intelligence, or power without alienating everyone else.

4) 100%? I'm not really sure what you mean. Beauty is based on social conditioning, self-esteem is based on social conditioning, social interaction is based on social conditioning, so I'm not sure what else this could possibly be.

5) They're absolutely correct, and I'm glad they realize it.

IadulDraculai
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 01-27-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
4) 100%? I'm not really sure what you mean. Beauty is based on social conditioning, self-esteem is based on social conditioning, social interaction is based on social conditioning, so I'm not sure what else this could possibly be.
According to sociologist Prof. Elizabeth Schweigert, girls are conditioned, more so than men, to politely try to downplay a compliment. It's a socialized issue, becuase it's something self-consciously taught since childhood by peers and parents.

As for #5
I think in some ways, everyone is beautiful in their own way, but I do admit, (and you have my permission to call me shallow if you like, but I refuse to lie to anyone even in forum) that there are some people, male and female, that are truly horrible in appearance.
I also believe that any 'ugliness' can be overridden by being a beautiful person in spirit.

But in this thread, more so than inner beauty, I wanted to focus on outer beauty and the social implications. Arguably, it's harder for girls to achieve the contemporary perception of beauty, and the psychology behind it can cause them to truly believe they are unattractive. In my opinion.

x_cannibalisticcows
Just call me Hachiko...

Old 01-27-2011, 10:05 PM

Someone who spends their whole life being criticized or bullied isn't likely to turn around and forget about it. I myself was often called 'ugly' and 'fat' when I was younger, and when I hit puberty and started growing my looks obviously changed - but I still have a hard time believing people don't see me as 'fat'. [As I grew up being told I was on almost a daily basis]
I do believe how you view yourself really depends on the environment you're in. There are days when I love how I look, and others when I just want to crawl into bed and hide from the world.

I find that people who claim they are unattractive publicly on a regular basis are the ones who tend to fish for compliments. If someone is doing this and is genuinely /not/ looking for compliments... Well, perhaps they need something else to occupy their time other than fussing over their apperance.
Girls who do this though, tend to annoy me. Facebook is a good example. They will post pictures, say that they are ugly, and than deny every compliment that is sent their way. [Don't post the picture in the first place if you think it's 'ugly' kthxbye]

Modesty is very easy to pick out. Someone who is modest wont viciously deny every comment you send their way, they'll simply thank you, or try to down play the comment.
It is a very fine line.

I would say all of it is conditioned. They of course have their own views on beauty. But they gain these views from the world around them. [Points back up to first paragraph : ) ]

I don't mind if someone says they're attractive. But if someone who I don't think is attractive is parading around saying "I'm so hot, look at me." I would just ignore them. And I don't think people are lining up to agree with them. [Unlike people who fish for compliments - they tend to get them]

As for appearance in general. I believe people can be ugly[this is objective of course]. A person can be the nicest person in the world....but if I can't stand to look at their face I wont want to associate with them. xD

Glitter Golgotha
lonesome and loathsome

Old 01-27-2011, 10:13 PM

"Ugly" and "pretty" are subjective. If they think they don't look good, then that's it. There's no reason to assume that they're expecting compliments--though it is fairly common for people to do so. However, there's usually some basis behind the initial complaint; they just want to feel better about it. This is not always the case, of course, and no one is in any place to judge whether it is.

YumikoYoshihana
⊙ω⊙

Old 01-28-2011, 03:31 AM

This, should go a long way into giving some of the deep entrenched cultural explanations to your question. But its a bit long to read so I'll quote some of the juicier bits here in the midst of my rant/explanation.

Ever hear of fat talk? Its an interesting phenomenon, especially among (but not limited to!) middle and high school aged girls.

Quote:
Or: the Fat Talk. You know about the Fat Talk, right? Lots of people have written about the Fat Talk already. For years, I thought this was some grody stereotype that you only found in male stand-up comedians’ routines about how women are awful. But then I met women who actually did it: the thing where, before ordering dinner at a restaurant, you all talk about how you should order this and you absolutely cannot order that, because you are so disgusting and you cannot stick to your diet and eating a cheeseburger will literally send you right straight to hell, and if you are the girl who straight-up says she wants some nachos so covered in cheese and guacamole and various meats that they might as well not even have any chips involved – just a big mess of meats and milk fat and squished-up avocados, that is the experience for which you are aiming, and also it would help if the entire thing had sour cream all over it – well, you just might have earned yourself a Complinsult about how brave you are with your dietary habits, young lady.
Can I tell you how many times I have done this? This, right here, what has just been described. The putting oneself down is a very important part of girl culture. Sure, there's the element of fishing for complements, but it goes beyond that. Its escaping judgment, it's testing the social waters (if you go one about how fat/ugly/gross/ect you are, and you don't get compliments back from some or all listeners? That's how you know people really DO think those things of you, and then you have a problem.

Another thing. If you don't go along with this? Well:

Quote:
for a long time, I thought I was just demonstrating my good body image by ordering a cheeseburger and not participating in the Fat Talk, and then I sort of figured out that I was straight-up declaring that I was so hot I got to do whatever I wanted and was too insensitive to appease the body insecurities of my friends, who were (my actions declared) less hot than myself.
Read the whole thing though. It really is very good.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-28-2011, 07:09 AM

Ha, YumikoYoshihana, I don't think I want to read it, just reading those two quoted bits made me want to punch the wall. What has the world come to when what you eat when out with friends sends all kinds of messages that you're unaware of to said friends?

Gee thanks modern life, for making people so damn shallow and obsessed about their appearance!

Can I just focus on the "fishing for compliments" people? Would I be wrong in saying that the majority of these people are insecure teens? I know there are some people, women especially, who never grow out of the habit, but isn't it mainly what younger people do?

YumikoYoshihana
⊙ω⊙

Old 01-28-2011, 07:21 AM

I think that's a gross oversimplification of what's happening here. I mean sure, you can go along and say that only shallow teens do things like that, and only shallow people are insecure in their opinions, and only young people act out the social dynamics that were drilled into them from the word go.

You can focus on the fishing compliments people, and Ignore the very real social pressures that are put on women, and that women put on themselves. You can pretend the harsh lessons we all learn in high school don't follow us into our adult lives, and you can ignore the fucked up parts of society and be blind to how it effects you directly, and not those other silly, shallow, insecure teenage girls who don't really matter anyway. You can blame those things on modern life, and pretend things like this are a new phenomenon.

I wouldn't personally recommend it though....

Philomel
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 01-28-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IadulDraculai View Post
According to sociologist Prof. Elizabeth Schweigert, girls are conditioned, more so than men, to politely try to downplay a compliment. It's a socialized issue, becuase it's something self-consciously taught since childhood by peers and parents.
I know, that was my question. I'm not sure how it could be anything other than conditioning that results in self-deprecating behaviour.

Quote:
As for #5
I think in some ways, everyone is beautiful in their own way, but I do admit, (and you have my permission to call me shallow if you like, but I refuse to lie to anyone even in forum) that there are some people, male and female, that are truly horrible in appearance.
I won't call you shallow; everyone has their preferences, and the body is just as important as the spirit. However, I do not believe that anyone should feel they have a right to influence the way someone else views themselves, in the sense that, just because I may not find someone attractive, that doesn't mean that they should find themselves less attractive. And since beauty is subjective, if they believe they're beautiful, they're right. My feelings on the matter don't really come into play.

Feral Fantom
Ink Warrior
Send a message via AIM to Feral Fantom Send a message via MSN to Feral Fantom

Old 01-28-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philomel View Post
. However, I do not believe that anyone should feel they have a right to influence the way someone else views themselves, in the sense that, just because I may not find someone attractive, that doesn't mean that they should find themselves less attractive. And since beauty is subjective, if they believe they're beautiful, they're right. My feelings on the matter don't really come into play.
So do you believe you should not tell someone who says they are ugly that they are not ugly?

The Teal
⊙ω⊙

Old 01-29-2011, 12:23 AM

Iv'e been called both ugly and pretty. It is too contradicting. Personally, I think I am pretty darn cute. I have off days of course.
It's all I can do really since I get called both evenly.

Lorika
I am poop now

Old 01-29-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
As for #5
"OH MY GOD, NIGHT TROLL!!!"

Sorry, I couldn't resist. (Points to anyone who knows where that quote comes from.)

I understand that it may be deemed a natural reaction, but I still find it totally unfair to judge a person based on cosmetics. It instills a sense of unfounded superiority in the eye of the beholder.

ETHICS TIME: Let's applizzle some Kant up in this hizzle.

Alright, let's say YOU have the right to judge whether or not a person is beautiful. Cool. Now, let's universalise it.

Now, everyone else also has the right to judge whether or not everyone else is beautiful - including you.

What does that mean, exactly? Well, sir, I shall tell you. "Let's face it, some people are hideous," is a statement based on the assumption, whether conscious or unconscious, that you, sir, are not hideous yourself. Now, sir, I have the right to disagree with you. I think you are hideous. What are you going to do about it?

Nothing. You might get upset, but you're not going to do anything, precisely for the reason that you have given me the right to belittle you, even just inside my own mind, through your own observations. That's the awfully wonderful thing about universalisability. The second you start trying to apply intolerant or cruel actions everywhere, to everyone, society becomes intolerable.

It's not difficult to not be a judgemental douchebag. You just have to treat other people the way you'd wanted to be treated yourself.

Quote:
I also believe that any 'ugliness' can be overridden by being a beautiful person in spirit.
"Well, you kind of look awful, at least you have a great personality."

Nobody, no matter what colour their skin, how big their breasts, how high their forehead, how prominent their ears, how heavy or how slender, should ever be forced to hear from another human being that they don't have the right to feel beautiful. Because that's what you're doing. By telling someone that their otherwise glaring flaws can be overcome by other attributes, you're consciously or unconsciously stripping them of their right to feel good about the things you detest.

I quote the immortal jellysundae.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellysundae
Gee thanks modern life, for making people so damn shallow and obsessed about their appearance!
Contributing to another person's insecurities. Making them feel like they HAVE to fish for compliments to make themselves feel better, because they're too damaged inside to find their own strength.

If everyone keeps looking at one another and seeing only the parts, seeing only the apparent imperfections, seeing the things that make people different, things that make them hate one another for reasons they don't fully understand because they are irrational, the already-vast number of people who feel uncomfortable in their own skin because someone else has made them feel uncomfortable in their own skin will just keep growing, until eventually a shambolic, corpselike version of happiness will be the only thing the unlucky majority caged within the opinions of others will know.

Perhaps we are already there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal
Iv'e been called both ugly and pretty. It is too contradicting. Personally, I think I am pretty darn cute. I have off days of course.
It's all I can do really since I get called both evenly.
THIS is a perfect example of the subjectivity of beauty, and the objectification of the beheld. THIS person is lucky. They feel comfortable with their own appearance. However, another person may not be so fortunate. And what if, one day, the person who felt confident in themselves suddenly realises that their shred of contentment has been chipped away?

What in the hell right does a person have to look at another person and tell them that they aren't beautiful? What right do they have to even THINK it? Beauty IS more than the sum of the parts, and everyone has the right not only to feel comfortable with themselves, but to feel beautiful.

Stop making yourself feel better by sitting on a peg above other people. Make a goddamn effort to see people as people, rather than decorated shells.

Last edited by Lorika; 01-29-2011 at 07:55 AM..

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-29-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorika View Post
What in the hell right does a person have to look at another person and tell them that they aren't beautiful? What right do they have to even THINK it? Beauty IS more than the sum of the parts, and everyone has the right not only to feel comfortable with themselves, but to feel beautiful.

Stop making yourself feel better by sitting on a peg above other people. Make a goddamn effort to see people as people, rather than decorated shells.
I think it's fine to think it. That's no different to finding a building or a car unattractive. But it's cruel to tell someone else that you don't think they're attractive though, because you don't need to find them attractive. A person can still look good, even if to you their face is "ugly", but that's really immaterial.

It's all down to personal taste again. I've said this in Avatar Chat but it's relevant here because it's exactly the same. People can't differentiate between what is good and bad and their own personal taste. And let's not forgot that personal taste is massively effected by where a person has grown up.

Armpit hair is a good example. I'm British, in general British women shave their pits. In 1984 when Nena hit the charts with 99 Red Balloons she caused a big old stir. She was on Top of the Pops performing her song and while she was dancing about she lifted her arms and waved them above her head, and the entire British viewing population recoiled in horror and disgust because she had hairy armpits.
As Brits that grossed us out, as a German it was totally normal for her. See? She was judged for something that was completely the norm for her, just because it was not the norm to us.

Often what people class as "ugly", is actually just "different". I'm adult enough to know that a person who's face I might think of as ugly will not appear so to someone else.

Interestingly enough, when I was at school a girl I hung around with started going out with this guy that I definitely thought of as ugly, but, the more time I spent with him, the less ugly he looked. I absolutely do not mean that I started to find him attractive, because I didn't, but his face ceased to have the impact that it had originally had on me, and after a while I couldn't see why I'd found him ugly, he was just him.

I honestly think that someone asking someone else if they think they're ugly is one of the cruelest things you could possibly ask another person! It's right up there with a child asking its parents whether they love them or their sibling more.
Because taste is so subjective there are always going to be people who find you drop dead gorgeous, people who find you completely hideous, and every single grey shade inbetween. Even the most typically "gorgeous" celebrities, the kind who get voted most beautiful person ever! and all that, will have people who think they're disgusting.

But people seem to focus on the ugly bit, but like I said earlier, you don't have to have a face that 100% of people find attractive to look nice. If you look after yourself and present yourself nicely you can still look great and feel confident and happy in yourself and like yourself, without having to be judged by others for that one small bit of you that is on display on the front of your head. Isn't it kind of harsh that people get judged/treated so differently for what is such a small part of them?

Hmm, I reblogged something on Tumblr earlier today and the comment I made on that is very relevant to this topic.

IadulDraculai
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 01-29-2011, 08:34 AM

Lorika: I would like to point out that these aren't necessarily my personal views, but rather views I 'adopted' temporarily for the sake of debate. No need to point your argument at me! :D

I have been told multiple times that my 'lovely personality' makes up for me physical flaws.

Alternatively, subjective beauty was not supposed to be a discussed topic; this is not about 'what beauty is', because that falls into the purview of our own philosophy.

What I'm asking is: whether or not women, and even men (though the original comment that lead me to this was aimed at women) , find ways to fish for compliments, and what, if anything, leads them to this behavior.

Also, I'm a girl, dear. No need to call me sir!

Last edited by IadulDraculai; 01-29-2011 at 08:36 AM..

Lorika
I am poop now

Old 01-29-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Lorika: I would like to point out that these aren't necessarily my personal views, but rather views I 'adopted' temporarily for the sake of debate. No need to point your argument at me! :D
I apologise, as my intention was not to direct my argument at you, but rather a more general shallow "you." This also covers the "sir."

Quote:
Originally Posted by IadulDraculai
I have been told multiple times that my 'lovely personality' makes up for me physical flaws.
I'm sorry that you had to go through that. =[

Quote:
Alternatively, subjective beauty was not supposed to be a discussed topic; this is not about 'what beauty is', because that falls into the purview of our own philosophy.
In that case, why in the world do some of your proposed discussion topics merit responses such as this? *EXTRAVAGANT DOWNWARDS GESTURE*

Quote:
As for #5

Last edited by Lorika; 01-29-2011 at 08:47 AM..

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-29-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:

I hope you told the people who said that to go fuck themselves. Who are they to decide that you have physical flaws? Who are they to clearly think that they themselves are a pinnacle of perfection, or at the very least are better than you?

God, people are arseholes.

But then again, so often a person who has been told over and over again that they are beautiful and pretty feels that that makes them better than other people, sad but true. I love it when I meet a person who is attractive to my eyes but is humble about it and hasn't let it give them a huge ego like it does with many. But it must be pretty hard to remain grounded if you have people fawning over you because of your looks.

you can tell from this that I'm a very normal-looking person who doesn't have this happen to them xD I got called ugly more than enough when I was at the worst possible age to be called that, during my school years...but that was just by people who were happy to have a less attractive person about so they could feel better about themselves by comparison.

Philomel
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 01-29-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Fantom View Post
So do you believe you should not tell someone who says they are ugly that they are not ugly?
Simply put, yes. Not-so-simply put, I think it's fine to discuss it with them and find out why they believe themselves ugly, but it should still stop at that. You're not going to convince them they aren't ugly, at least through words, so now they not only feel ugly but belittled, because you have essentially told them that their standards of beauty do not matter, even when applied to themselves, and that yours should override theirs.

Night Watcher
⊙ω⊙

Old 01-29-2011, 04:18 PM

In my opinion, Everyone is pretty in their own way, regardless of height, weight, looks etc.
Being pretty doesn't necessarily mean looking attractive. So technically there is no 'Uglier' or 'Prettier' we are all pretty much the same, we just come in different packages.
Speaking from experience, I grew up being told by so many people I was ugly and fat, an unattractive girl. No one really liked being around. I didn't fit into the typical norms of society, Skinny and into all these new fashions you find in H&M, New Look, Dolce and Gabbana etc.
So naturally, I thought that, being told it for such a long time, that I was very ugly, and too fat to be even looked at twice, I started to think like that, and every day I believed I wasn't good enough, however now I know differently. I am a pretty girl, and yes, I do have some weight on me, but I can lose it, it isn't the end of the world, and I also know that, Personality is more attractive than someone's looks.
When someone told me I was pretty, I didn't say that I wasn't to gain the attention, it wasn't like that at all. I said it because it was generally how I felt I looked.
I also believe that today's society is very cruel on the way people should look. If your just one tiny speck over the IBM guidelines of being healthy, your considered obese. I think society has made people psychologically paranoid about the way they should look. For example all these dating channels that are advertised, I havn't seen ONE person on them that are chubby, each one has tons of make up on and wears very small underwear. That puts in peoples heads, more actively in womens, that they need to look like that to be considered attractive. I think that's wrong. People should be allowed to feel good about themselves and make a decision about how they look, and not be constantly criticised or judged by anyone.

Last edited by Night Watcher; 01-29-2011 at 04:20 PM..

IadulDraculai
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 01-29-2011, 08:38 PM

@Lorika
Quote:
In that case, why in the world do some of your proposed discussion topics merit responses such as this? *EXTRAVAGANT DOWNWARDS GESTURE*

Quote:
Quote:
As for #5
This fall into the previews of my own concept of 'beauty'. While someone may call someone like Snookie or Paris Hilton beautiful, I personally, find them repulsive. Obviously, they believe they are 'beautiful'.

People are so concerned about beauty over humility, and frankly, I've met some girls who are what many people would call
'plain', whom I found to be possible some of the most beautiful women on the face of the planet.

@Feral phantom:
Quote:
This actually raises an interesting question in my head.

On one hand, people need to keep in mind that beauty is solely in the eyes of the beholder, but on the other hand, lying isn't good, either, even if they're white lies.

It's a very 'gray' issue when people tend to paint things black and white.

This is where it gets confusing; people shelter other people to the 'truth' (if it can be called that), but then in the next breath they rip them down.

It is, in many ways, a cultural and social circle-jerk.
One minute one is told they are beautiful and attractive, and the next they are told they were ugly.

@Night Watcher
Quote:
People should be allowed to feel good about themselves and make a decision about how they look, and not be constantly criticised or judged by anyone.
While I agree with you here, our society puts a ridiculous amount of importance on physical appearance, so it's impossible to ignore the concept of 'pretty' and 'ugly', and that, unfortunately, make it an issue we can't dismiss easily.

Our world is very 'black and white' about these sorts of things and from an early age, we''re taught to determine our worth based on our appearance. Are we Cinderella, or are we the Ugly Step Sister?

BlackEggIceBird
*^_^*

Old 03-02-2011, 12:19 AM

Too me its a low self esteem issuse. If they can't see if they are beautiful no matter what. They won't ever. Or they just seek attention it all depends. I been told I'm beautiful and ugly doesn't bother me. I know what I am

jupiter
inactive account

Old 03-02-2011, 10:58 PM

I think there's just a need to have your esteem constantly reinforced.
You know what you look like. You know how you're viewed by your own culture; some of it can be a false modesty and some of it can be the earnest lack of confidence.

angelbabe1
Account OC is Sekhmet (my avi)

Old 03-03-2011, 01:30 AM

personly guys tell me I am pretty and cute all the time.. but I always saying "your lieing" or make a joke out of it.. cuz I feel like I am braging if I agree with them.. I dont really think I am ugly just I dont want to sound rude ><...

I was told it is rule to call yourself pretty and also that its rule to disagree with a complment, but I just cant help it... I dont want to be rude so I disagree with them.