Remyre
*^_^*

Old 01-06-2012, 07:26 PM

This country prides itself on being number one, saying that we always think about the people of this "great nation" before anything else!! PUHLEASE!! All our government cares about is when they get their checks.. they don't care that this country is being run into the ground, or that the people they're supposed to be helping are starving and losing their homes!!!

This country, no, this whole world needs to realize that this is /not/ the way to go!! We need peace, we need to at least not focus on other countries "faults" and let them survive how they need to, and worry about ourselves for once!! All America cares about is playing world police and controlling everyone into being just like us... don't they realize that's the problem? That's why everyone hates us, we try to control them into being just like us!!

What's the top news here? Celebrities... next to that, murder, violence... this country is stuck on fairy tale celebrity life, and run on fear!!! Who cares that Ashton Kutcher is a cheating scumbag? Or that this couple broke up, or this person was seen at such and such club... why not focus on getting this country out of the gutter? Help the people that actually need help instead of giving all the greedy celebrities everything for free and treating them like the gods they aren't..

If everyone in the world, just did one, ONE, kind thing, one selfless thing for somebody everyday... this world would be such a better place!! It would catch on, and everyone would want to try and help!! But the problem? Most people are self centered, and don't care that everyone else is suffering as long as they themselves aren't!! I understand the economy is bad, and everyone is suffering, and it /is/ terrible!! But it doesn't even have to be financial things that you do for someone, hold a door open, if someone drops something, pick it up!! Pay compliments, it never hurts, and it doesn't even have to be 100% true, just make them feel like they matter for once!!

Looks are not the most important thing in the world, beauty is what's inside. I don't care if you a super model with a "perfect" body, if you're ugly and mean on the inside, that's what shows up on the outside! But no one else sees it that way... and if they do, it's like they're too afraid to admit it. We need another John Lennon, we need more people like Nikki Sixx and Maynard James Keenan, or Serj Tankian. People who aren't afraid to stand up and say that it's wrong to continue this way, that we need peace if the world is ever going to /not/ blow itself up!! That's where it's heading.. all the war and fighting... there's going to be a nuclear holocaust... but we can avoid this all!! We can make this world a better place.. we have too.

Maybe I'm alone here, but I will /never/ EVER, give up my beliefs, and I will never stop trying to achieve them. I may only be one person, but if more people will try, and voice their opinion, who knows... maybe someday, it will make a difference!!

Mystic
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 01-06-2012, 10:36 PM

America needs to make money to survive. Wars are fought over what's profitable. That's why they worry about what's going on in other countries. Trade routes need to be kept safe and they want access to resources that are cheaper across seas than they are in the US. I'm not saying that I agree with a capitalistic society but that's how things are.

Gossip makes profits. I personally don't care who does what. I don't own a TV and don't read magazines because I do not care enough. Can't say that gossip isn't good for a laugh every now and then I just do not get people's obsession with it.

One major problem in the US is civil rights. Everyone regardless of who they are should be entitled to the same civil rights and the government allows states to continue to discriminate. That's aimed towards the GLBTQ community. I think that being able to fire someone, to start with, based on gender ID and sexuality is a civil rights issue but that's a whole other rant of its own.

I think that if more people also educated themselves and not just listened to whatever BS newspapers and new stations told them that the nation would be a better place as well.

I could go on about what's wrong with the US but I could also go the other way and say what's wrong with other countries compared to the US.

My post is not complete with what I think but that would take hours of me ranting.

Pa-chinko
Ninja

Old 01-07-2012, 05:24 AM

The reason most other nations hate the US is for its contradictory policies. The US Army is extremely corrupted (this is my experience from the perspective of an outsider), the policies of your nation try to open free trade whilst closing your own borders to allow poorer nations dependent on basic agricultural goods to sell to your country and make their own wealth.
The US suffers too badly from ethnocentrism to really go policing without everyone hating you.

Every nation is run by money and greed at the top. It's the check and balances that keep them in line.

Remyre
*^_^*

Old 01-08-2012, 02:33 AM

I wouldn't say it's the Army that's corrupted, it's the government, they're the ones telling the military what to do.

Yes, every country is run on money, greed and fear. I wouldn't say America is the worst, but it's definitely up there just because it preaches freedom and unity, then shits on all of it's people! Illegal immigrants can cross the border, get married and bam, citizen. But Americans, actually born in this country, with American parents, can't marry if they're Gay... that's a different argument all together... and honestly, I'm not in a great mood tonight, my minds not working properly, so i'm not saying anymore on any of this... TBC

Glass
*^_^*

Old 01-08-2012, 08:12 AM

Actually according to most recent studies, the only people in other countries who really dislike the U.S. are old. Young people pretty much everywhere seem to like us, especially (weirdly enough) in Germany, japan, and even China.

Thing is, that because the U.S. is so powerful, and has the potential to be very wealthy (kinda incredibly in debt right now) People will be pissed with us either way.

When we don't get involved with atrocities in other countries, we get called cowards, but when we take down an evil prick who repeatedly murdered thousands of his own people in frankly despicable ways, we are called "world police" and other mocking crap, by countries who were ignoring said atrocities.

The fun part, is when we leave a region, and everything suddenly goes to crap. You know, like the crap ton of bombings and such now going on in Iraq.

Now I understand wanting to leave, and not be involved in such a powder keg of an area, and waste lives trying to fix something that can't be fixed, but still the evidence is clear. We kept them from killing each other for a while.

As for the countries we have embargoes with, we have our reasons, and it aint about money so much as their governments being kinda evil. Cuba is a good example.

All governments are hypocrites though. The U.K. promised to use an area the size of Wales (roughly) to build wind farms. Never mind the fact that they don't have that much room to spare.

The government of France basically told people "you know that money you gave us, to save for you when you get old? well, we blew it. It's gone. Have fun."

Greece. . . just no.

The governments of the world are full of crap, and the reason they don't fix education is because they don't want people to realize just how full of crap they are.

Heiyuu
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-08-2012, 02:33 PM

I'd love to know what people think is wrong with the American military. I'm a third-class petty officer in the US Navy, myself. I joined the military because I didn't know what to do with my life and I wanted to travel. Currently, I'm living on foreign soil, and on a daily basis, my job is to keep radios working. It actually really upsets me to hear people say "America's all about playing world police" or similar, because not all military forces who are stationed outside the States are where they are to control the local populace. My antenna field and radios are where they need to be to relay the signal to troops in combat-heavy areas, not because we're 'policing' anyone.

NeuzaKC
Stan.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:06 PM

From the prespective of someone who has dealt with her fair share of americans, your biggest problem is extremism or radicalism, whichever term holds your fancy. You talk about things like they're all black and white and no grey. You talk about your own people that way too. One thing you fail to realise over and over again is that not all xs are ys and not every discussion is either a or b. In all my years of socializing with americans in various ways, and all the time I've spent on the internet, I've developed this theory that you people suffer from an extreme amount of peer pressure, simply because the majority of americans on the internet hold ideas that could possibly turn your country into something better than it is, and yet, nothing ever happens and all you do is complain and not fight because "it's not worth it, everyone else thinks differently than me". It's your inability to think that the enemy of your enemy is actually your friend that has created a stall in the country's group mentality, and this type of topic shows exactly that.

None of you, put it simply, the idealistics, the complainers and the patriots are better than each other. And from what I've read here, none of you are activists, you just hold ideals and beliefs and whine and get agressive when someone says the tiniest thing that contradicts them. Some of you are probably talking out of their asses too. Not that I know anything about politics or war or how your government works; I'm not American. The most American thing I do is watch The Daily Show With Jon Stewart and eat a burger once in a while. But this is not hard at all to see, frankly, what with so many americans on the internet sharing their views and so many "It's x fault, they're corrupted!" and whatnot.

This post probably doesn't really help anything but whatever, I can share too.

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-08-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
I think that if more people also educated themselves and not just listened to whatever BS newspapers and new stations told them that the nation would be a better place as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
The governments of the world are full of crap, and the reason they don't fix education is because they don't want people to realize just how full of crap they are.
The question here is: How can people educate themselves? What would "fix" education?

There's no one magical solution to modifying education in the United States. There are so many differing theories, goals, and desires that it's impossible to placate everyone at once. That's why so many educational reforms are made each year, both on a national level and through the states. Kids from different regions require different approaches to education, experts promote different styles of teaching, and everyone disagrees on what a "successful" education should look like. Even if the US were suddenly to rise to #1 in international testing scores, we'd still have the population complaining how how dumb today's youth is.

Often, the resources for change just aren't available. Money is the thing that people think about the most - When the majority of public schools just can't be maintained with up to date textbooks, the arts, experienced teachers and safe facilities, it's impossible to focus on experimental trials. You need to provide students with the basics before expecting them to change the entire system. Sometimes it isn't even about righting our financial priorities, but of trying to change educational traditions that have already been set in stone for years.

But the problem of resources also expands to out expectation of people to educate themselves. How is that possible if each news source presents its own bias? Television and newspapers are out since they each are highly planned and often only offer one point of view. Not everyone has access to the internet, and even the most inexperienced kid knows that blogs and online postings can't always be confirmed as truth. Even if people were to conduct their own interviews and analyze primary sources in order to learn about current events, many people simply don't have the underlying political knowledge or even literacy to understand the information. That's really not their fault.

Overall, the problems inherent in education are a pretty good parallel to the "problems" that we see in the nation as a whole. All Americans are products of this environment, we all want to see change, but damned if we have any concrete ideas on what could make it better. We've got an end goal in sight, but how do you get there? Blaming other people and generally hating ourselves seems to be the most commonly chosen solution. :-/

Pa-chinko
Ninja

Old 01-08-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remyre View Post
I wouldn't say it's the Army that's corrupted, it's the government, they're the ones telling the military what to do.

Yes, every country is run on money, greed and fear. I wouldn't say America is the worst, but it's definitely up there just because it preaches freedom and unity, then shits on all of it's people! Illegal immigrants can cross the border, get married and bam, citizen. But Americans, actually born in this country, with American parents, can't marry if they're Gay... that's a different argument all together... and honestly, I'm not in a great mood tonight, my minds not working properly, so i'm not saying anymore on any of this... TBC
It's the Army itself is corrupt. My own sources in Afghanistan who deal with the US Army have told me how it's not uncommon for the US Army over there to do shady dealings for their own gain and knowingly support corruption in the country. Just to note where your tax money goes. ^^

Glass
*^_^*

Old 01-08-2012, 07:22 PM

Aye, and that's government supported. We are trying to take back the government from people who are basically trying to kill our country, but it's difficult.

If you guys want to see America change for the better, then lend your voices to someone in favor of smaller government. When our government is smaller, we do better, and we cause less issues with the world at large.

Remyre
*^_^*

Old 01-08-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiyuu View Post
I'd love to know what people think is wrong with the American military. I'm a third-class petty officer in the US Navy, myself. I joined the military because I didn't know what to do with my life and I wanted to travel. Currently, I'm living on foreign soil, and on a daily basis, my job is to keep radios working. It actually really upsets me to hear people say "America's all about playing world police" or similar, because not all military forces who are stationed outside the States are where they are to control the local populace. My antenna field and radios are where they need to be to relay the signal to troops in combat-heavy areas, not because we're 'policing' anyone.
I'm not the one that said the military was corrupt, I don't believe it is. I have nothing but respect for the men and woman who give up everything in their lives to be shipped away... it's a choice, there is no more drafts and that's a great thing!! It's not the military, it's the government, because after all, the military has to take orders form the government. Though in rare cases, some military figures /can/ become corrupt, but it's not as often I can't imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuzaKC View Post
From the prespective of someone who has dealt with her fair share of americans, your biggest problem is extremism or radicalism, whichever term holds your fancy. You talk about things like they're all black and white and no grey. You talk about your own people that way too. One thing you fail to realise over and over again is that not all xs are ys and not every discussion is either a or b. In all my years of socializing with americans in various ways, and all the time I've spent on the internet, I've developed this theory that you people suffer from an extreme amount of peer pressure, simply because the majority of americans on the internet hold ideas that could possibly turn your country into something better than it is, and yet, nothing ever happens and all you do is complain and not fight because "it's not worth it, everyone else thinks differently than me". It's your inability to think that the enemy of your enemy is actually your friend that has created a stall in the country's group mentality, and this type of topic shows exactly that.

None of you, put it simply, the idealistics, the complainers and the patriots are better than each other. And from what I've read here, none of you are activists, you just hold ideals and beliefs and whine and get agressive when someone says the tiniest thing that contradicts them. Some of you are probably talking out of their asses too. Not that I know anything about politics or war or how your government works; I'm not American. The most American thing I do is watch The Daily Show With Jon Stewart and eat a burger once in a while. But this is not hard at all to see, frankly, what with so many americans on the internet sharing their views and so many "It's x fault, they're corrupted!" and whatnot.

This post probably doesn't really help anything but whatever, I can share too.
I do agree, not a single one of us are better than /anyone/ else, in the entire world. However, a lot of people do act like that! The people who say "America's #1" and say that they should just nuke the entire middle east... a lot of people do think that, some say it... The problem here is, just like a lot of other places, those who do try to voice their opinion are called "terrorists" and they just recently passed a new law, that if you are suspected to be a terrorist, they can detain you and keep you without fair trial for as long as they see fit.

I don't blame any one person, there's many many reasons why this country, and so many others are in such a mess. However unfortunate it is, nothing can be done about it in most cases... I wouldn't be afraid to tell the government exactly how I felt.. if I didn't think they'd just have me killed and cover it up... they aren't past doing those types of things.

The posts here aren't meant to start an argument, at least I'm hoping mine don't. I like finding out other peoples opinions, and hearing things from other perspectives. All I know to do is wait for the right time to /try/ and make a difference, and make sure that I have all my facts straight, and get everything worked out.... I don't try to act like I know everything, but from what I do know, these are my opinions.

Thank you for your input!

Glass
*^_^*

Old 01-08-2012, 11:00 PM

Actually the law that was passed recently, just removes a step. The patriot act allowed the government to do that to people a long time ago.

Remyre
*^_^*

Old 01-08-2012, 11:40 PM

Ah, see.. I did not know that! There's a lot of research that has to go into this, and that's not always easy.

However, regardless what they call it, it's not fair that they do it.. with how much stereotyping is still prevalent in the world. Because they don't even technically have to have just cause, they just be feeling like an ass and lock you away and there's nothing you can do about it.

I don't hate this country, I just think it, like /everything/ else in the world, needs a little work. As do I, I'm not perfect, I don't try to be... I just want a better world for everyone.

HappyStarr
(^._.^)ノ

Old 01-15-2012, 05:02 AM

There's a lot going on in America right now, concerning politics. And it's becoming more of a concern as large, rather radical, religious organizations begin to assert power. That combined with a bought Congress, corrupt policies, and the mentality of American people is what's making everything blow up to the scale we're seeing right now.

On the group mentality, thing: yes, it's a real problem here. We categorize things black vs white (the vs is important), fear being different or standing out too much, fear actual changes and value self-reliance to the point where we shun those that ask for help. As a result, the sick and poor are abandoned and the activists get literally laughed down by the media until they get big enough to be called terrorists. The media has an incredible amount of control over American people, which whether planned or not works favorably toward the government.

Right now, I'd say our biggest problem is our unwillingness to fix the problems we can all clearly see. Personally, I'd like it if our government could at least be straightforward and honest with us but I can't really imagine any government wanting to do all of that. Instead, the best thing Americans can do for themselves are to keep reading and researching, having these kinds of discussions, attend or watch debates for all sorts of things and vote in various elections.

As for the military, I believe it would be unfair to judge the entire force based off of one branch's actions in a smaller unit. From what I do understand, the Army is corrupt on lower levels but still in tact in the higher ups. As a result, there have certainly been some nasty things done but the appropriate investigations and disciplinary actions are being pursued.

King Usbeorn
Only in time will you become a K...

Old 01-17-2012, 05:50 AM

This is a seriously poor accusation against America. You basically just addressed all the horrible things America has that many other countries have. And further more you just gave an insight to things you hate about America and not clearly stating reasons. Those topics that are Americans gives money to greedy celebrates, too many radicals, how America "only cares" about being world police, and how every American is self centered. Are you out of your mind? Then you ranted how everyone should do one kind thing and how we need another John Lennon and finally how you care so much about your beliefs. America the disgusting huh? America is a country made from great virtue and honor. And there are millions of us who are conservatives to those values and are unwilling to change them. Yes America has its problems which are being addressed and will take time to resolve. And there are millions of Americans that see these corruptions and are addressing them. This is why Democracy is one of the best governments because you and I aka the people are in charge and we elect officials. Also, if you are a follower of politics you would know right now that millions of people who "realize" these problems are tying to stop these problems for years and have stood up countless times to these problems. (Except more "radically" like getting your butt off the computer). So in my eyes, your just another cry baby complainer who hasn't seemed to even try to speak out, investigate, research, or even talk to your local government officials. Also I'm not going to waste my time to explain what the American people are doing now/have done to stop those topics you posted. Many people have worked their ass off to stop these and we are trying to pull America out of the gutter.

Last edited by King Usbeorn; 01-18-2012 at 01:01 AM..

Pa-chinko
Ninja

Old 01-18-2012, 02:54 PM

The US is well known world wide for being self centred in multiple areas such as business and world politics. It's not secret or no matter of opinion. They are the model for ethnocentricism in even my university studies in international business.

It's not the issue of corruption and so on that bothers people. It's the fact the US has a tendency to go around forcing other nations to accept that their views are better. These things don't pop straight out but they creep up here and there, especially on the international field such as their trade policies. The popular view in the US right now is to 'stop helping everyone out whether by donations or fighting and deal with out own country first'. This is a self centred view where some of the world issues are created by the US such as Africa not being able to support themself because the US employs self protectionist policies in farming, which is the only economical area of Africa's development stage to really go into.

Glass
*^_^*

Old 01-18-2012, 07:06 PM

And when we do try to help people, either in business, or by military means, people complain that we are trying to control the world that way. See no matter what we do, we're considered wrong, by arrogant people, who sit on their high horse while their countries support racist policies, and contribute nearly nothing to the world.

Let's talk about the U.K. The English are responsible for all of Africa's problems as well as many in the middle east, India, and even China in the past.

France kicked out an entire ethnic group, while Germany sold them to the people looking to kill them.

So to those in Europe who'd like to pull the splinter from our eye here, you might want to pull that beam from yours first. :)

Have a nice day.

Pa-chinko
Ninja

Old 01-18-2012, 10:41 PM

In business, the US are the biggest money suckers of any country in terms of money itself as brain draining nations worldwide. O_o
Just look at the 'Made in China' items. Sure it's made in China but the chunk of the profits go to some non-Chinese company, say Apple. And for every skilled migrant doctor you meet, remember that they could be helping someone else in a poorer nation.

Glass
*^_^*

Old 01-18-2012, 11:30 PM

well then the unions in the U.S. need to go away. That's why jobs were outsourced. If the U.S. were capitalist, this would not be a problem. However the government "regulates" (screws with) businesses that are not doing anything wrong, which causes them to do weird things to get around those "regulations." (Please note, I mean actual free market capitalism, not "crony capitalism" which is basically the same as the black market crap that popped up in soviet Russia."

Also, international corporations are just that, international. They have no real loyalty to any one country, that's why so many of them move. Many of the largest companies on earth have people from various countries on their boards of directors. So saying it's the U.S. fault is a bit ignorant.

Furthermore if England, France, Spain, and Holland hadn't completely borked the economies of most of Africa, India, and various other places, they'd probably have advanced instead of regressing to the bloody stone age for so long.

Another point, is that the U.S. is responsible for more charitable aid than any other country. Meanwhile we are chastised by others for giving free food, money, etc. to developing countries.

Pa-chinko
Ninja

Old 01-20-2012, 06:58 AM

I think you're confusing the board of directors with the major managers as well as subsidiaries of a head company. Those remain tend to remain one nation. Stocks and accounting information of all international subsidiaries all reside in the head company that remain in one nation, even if they move their operations elsewhere, and many of them are in the US which provides the largest stock exchange and public offering in the world.

Although the US is a charitable country, doing good while doing bad does not negate one of the other.

Glass
*^_^*

Old 01-20-2012, 10:04 PM

Neither does only doing bad, like most of Europe has for its entire history.

Don't forget, both world wars were started by European powers, and their idiotic politics. Not to mention rampant racism which is actually supported by your governments.

At least in America it's frowned upon, and even considered a crime in some instances.

una
God's own anti-SOB machine.
Send a message via MSN to una

Old 01-22-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
Neither does only doing bad, like most of Europe has for its entire history.

Don't forget, both world wars were started by European powers, and their idiotic politics. Not to mention rampant racism which is actually supported by your governments.

At least in America it's frowned upon, and even considered a crime in some instances.
When did this turn into a "EUROPE F*CK YOU" thread. This thread is discussion about America's problems, at what point did you think that finger pointing at other countries was a) a valid argument b) polite. Personally I'm British and I'm thinking wtf, why is someone condensing an entire continent of fifty countries into one unified mass and proceeding to make sweeping generalizations about that mass, in order to save face about their own country. Plus I find it kinda of ironic that you haven't used any contemporary issues regarding European affairs, instead its the African scramble, Imperialism and the two world wars. And as for 'our' (lol) governments supporting racism, every country in the EU has anti-discriminatory laws regarding racism. Remember Europe does not have the same history as America when it comes to racial segregation. In fact, I kinda of laughed to myself when I saw the last line of your argument about America frowning upon racism. You only have to sample your own comedy to know that 'the cops pulled me over because I am black' is so overused its virtually cliche.

My advice is stop idealizing and start being objective, I'm sure have the 'all europeans are racist evil bleeps' is just a knee jerk reaction to having someone call America 'disgusting'. Like Pa-chinko said, there is a lot of good in America, but there are some kinks that need to be worked out. Don't take it personally :)

Last edited by una; 01-22-2012 at 08:49 PM..

Glass
*^_^*

Old 01-23-2012, 03:29 AM

England specifically supports actions against "Travelers" an ethnic group similar to Gypsies. That would be racism.

France kicked the entire Romani refugee group out of their country. The Germans sold them back to authorities in Romania. In Greece they are treated as less than trash. The same goes in Italy, Spain, and Portugal.

Not to mention that many of the current problems all over Africa are caused by the diamond trade, which goes entirely through De Beers. A European owned company. Thus, the babbling about how the us steals money from other countries through business is sheer fluff. Especially considering that Diamonds are completely worthless, and one of the most common stones on the planet.

The U.S. is larger than all of Europe, and has laws, cultures, etc. which differ strikingly from not only state to state, but even city to city, and yet we are all lumped together because of the one governing body that doesn't understand us, nor do what we ask most of the time. Somewhat similar to the EU, which is clearly meant to organize Europe under one central governing body. And then pulls similar crap.

Most of the flaws she sees aren't actually there, and it's the same crap that gets spewed all over the internet. It's meaningless, useless, and for the very most part completely untrue.

Pa-chinko
Ninja

Old 01-23-2012, 06:39 AM

How aren't they there when it's been experienced first hand?

Last edited by Pa-chinko; 01-23-2012 at 06:53 AM..

Glass
*^_^*

Old 01-23-2012, 07:12 AM

Because everything people bring up turns out to be meaningless doubletalk. People just like to complain.