View Single Post
Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 10-21-2013, 08:56 AM

Sort of!
There's all sorts of things I would love to learn about, but I'm not so great at teaching myself things.
A few months ago I discovered this neat concept called Massive Open Online Course (Wiki: MOOC).

Whaaa?
There are a number of them already, but basically they're sites that offer classes for free. I've only tried one site so far so I can't speak for the others, but the one I'm with is pretty neat! Of course, not all courses under the sun will be available, but I'm having fun trying out the topics they do have and that interest me.

How's it done?
It's mostly video lectures with quizzes throughout and assignments to complete every week. There's also a forum area where you can talk to other students, but as far as I know, it's not required.

If you complete the course with a 70 or higher, you get a certificate of sorts. It's all free of course so whether you complete it or not is up to you, there's no penalty if not. Some courses have a paid counterpart where you pay and if you complete the course you get a more authentic certificate (I believe and possibly something else).

Who teaches?
Through the site I'm using, the teachers so far have all been professors at other universities. Their names are given as well as the university they're "representing" by teaching so information to find on them should be relatively easy.

So how about it?! Something you would be interested in?