Rochiel Silverfire
♪♪There's a song in ...

Old 03-29-2011, 08:43 PM

As a "starving college student" I have trouble coming up with cheap, easy, and (mostly) healthy dishes. Anyone here have a favorite recipe(s) to share? I also don't want to limit it to college student meals, so feel free to share your gourmet tastes too!

To start us off, I just took a whole grain tortilla, spread hummus on it, added turkey, clover sprouts, spinach, sliced mushrooms, and feta cheese. Quick and super delicious!!!

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 03-29-2011, 08:58 PM

Everyone please remember that all proper recipes (like you'd find in a cookbook, a quick description like Rochiel did is fine) have to be put into quote tags!

I could share some tasty recipes with you, but I'm vegetarian, so they'd all be meatless. If you don't mind that, I've got two super tasty ones that I make every chance I get. :)

Rochiel Silverfire
♪♪There's a song in ...

Old 03-29-2011, 11:12 PM

I'm always looking for tasty veggie recipes!

QueenPeppermint
Queen Of Broken Hearts

Old 03-29-2011, 11:27 PM

Well I'm a vegetable lover so I eat veggies most people wouldn't but here are a few recipes.

Take 1/2# brussel sprouts, pull off outer leaves, cut off the very bottom, cut eat sprout in half. Toss with 2tbsp olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Roast at 375 for 12 minutes then toss with 1tbsp maple syrup. Roast for five more minutes and eat

Quote:
1 pound fresh pasta
2 tablespoons butter
4-5 stalks green garlic, finely sliced
salt (to taste)
black pepper, freshly ground (to taste)
Parmigiano reggiano, grated (to taste)

1. Boil water for the pasta.
2. Melt butter in a sauté pan, being careful not to let it brown, and add the green garlic.
3. Saute on medium to medium-low heat until the green garlic has softened (but don’t let it brown). Remove from heat.
4. Cook the pasta. I used cavatelli, which were frozen and required a longer amount of cooking, so I started them before sauteing the green garlic.
5. When the pasta is cooked, drain it (reserve cooking liquid), and set pasta aside.
6. Return the saute pan to the range, set to medium to medium-high. When the butter starts to bubble, add about 1/4 cup of the water the pasta cooked in and whisk until the butter and water forms an emulsion. Keep whisking while the butter/water reduces slightly (around a minute).
7. Add pasta to the pan and toss, adding more water if too dry, and seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Plate and serve the pasta with grated parmigiano reggiano on top.
I like to add a dash of lemon zest to this recipe too
This one I haven't tried to make myself yet (I've had something similar at a restraunt) but I want to.
Quote:
collard greens, destemmed
seaweed
shitake mushroom caps, sliced, marinated
snow peas, cut into strips
carrots, julienned
napa cabbage, cut into strips
cucumber, cut into strips

marinate
1 tbsp ginger, minced
2 cloves garlic, derooted, minced
2 tbsp nama shoyu
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp sesame oil

Preparation:
Marinate the mushrooms for 15-30 min. Squeeze out excess marinate back into bowl and set marinate aside.
Put ingredients in the middle of the collard leaf and roll. Wrap and secure the roll with a strip of seaweed.
Use marinate for dipping. For a richer sauce, add in some nut butter or tahini.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 03-29-2011, 11:29 PM

Alrighty, here's two of my favorites!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roasted Vegetables with Tofu and Rosemary
3-4 medium potatoes, unpeeled, cut into wedges
1 slice of red onion (add more if you're big on onion)
3 thin carrots, cut into 2 inch long sections
1/2 butternut squash, cut into strips or wedges (I'll warn you, the rinds on these fuckers are hard to cut, you're going to need a butcher knife)
1/2 a package of tofu, cubed (be sure to press it if it comes in water)
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp fresh or dried rosemary (a little less if it's fresh)
A bit of salt and pepper, whatever you want

Combine all vegetables in a large bowl, add olive oil and stir. And spices and again with the stirring. Arrange on a tray (I use one of the smaller ones made for toaster ovens, you don't need a cookie sheet or anything. Best if it has four sides.) and bake for 10 minutes at 425. Stir veggies and bake for another 10 minutes. Remove again, add the tofu and more stirring, cook for a final 10 minutes (or until veggies and tofu are lightly browned)

Makes 3-4 servings
I'm considering adding 8 oz. of frozen green beans to it as well, but I've not done that yet, so I'm not quite sure how it'll be. Remove the tofu and it's a side dish!
This one's very simple to do. The hardest/most time-consuming part is cutting the veggies. I will warn you that butternut squash has a thick rind that's hard to cut through. Also, you'll want to remove the rind from your wedges (it's easier that trying to remove it before cutting it into wedges).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegetarian Cabbage Rolls
4 large cabbage leaves (the first few leaves on cabbage are always ick, so you remove those, then you'll have about four that are sizable enough to work for this. Find a use for the rest of the cabbage, I guess... make cole slaw?)
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup green onion
1/4 cup diced zucchini
1/2 cup cooked white rice (we use basmati, which is much better for you than white, but if you wanna be super great, use brown. Also, the amounts of rice you use changess if you use basmati or brown, so be sure to check that)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp dried basil leaves
1/2 tsp caraway seed
8 oz. tomato sauce with a bit of cumin (I don't know how much, mom just wrote "w/cumin" which is so super helpful!)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar

Heat oven to 350. Spray baking dish with cooking spray. Cover cabbage leaves with boiling water, cover and let stand for 10 minutes or until leaves are limp; drain.

Heat oil in a 3 quart saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion and zucchini in oil for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender. Stir in seasonings and half the tomato sauce and 2/3 of the cheese.

Place about 1/4 of the rice mixture at the stem of each leaf. Roll leaf around rice mixture, tucking in sides. Place "seam" side down in dish.

Cover and bake 30 minutes. Spoon remaining tomato sauce over rolls, along with remaining cheese. Bake uncovered for about 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.

Makes 4 rolls.

Rochiel Silverfire
♪♪There's a song in ...

Old 03-30-2011, 06:47 AM

Those sound awesome! Here's one of my favorite veggie recipes!

Quote:
Ingredients

3 eggplant, peeled and thinly sliced
2 eggs, beaten
4 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
6 cups spaghetti sauce, divided
1 (16 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Dip eggplant slices in egg, then in bread crumbs. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 5 minutes on each side.
In a 9x13 inch baking dish spread spaghetti sauce to cover the bottom. Place a layer of eggplant slices in the sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with the cheeses. Sprinkle basil on top.
Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until golden brown.
I usually cut the recipe in half, otherwise you need a BIG baking dish!! =^_^=