salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 08-06-2017, 04:27 PM

Hi everyone, I am curious to know how many people here have siblings versus are an only child :D

If you have siblings --
Are your siblings older or younger?
What sex/gender are they?
What is your experience like with your siblings?
How do you think the experience of growing up with siblings compares to that of people who are an only child?

If you are an only child --
Have you ever wished you had siblings?
If so, any preference for older, younger, and sex/gender?
What has your experience been like as an only child?
How do you think your experience growing up compares to that of people who have siblings?

Kory
Spooky Action at a Distance

Old 08-06-2017, 09:18 PM

I was raised as an only child,
But I have an older half-sister. She is much, much older than I am so by the time I came around she was already on her own.

I've never met her either, we are friends on Facebook, but other than that, we don't talk much.

uncledaddy
swamp troll

Old 08-07-2017, 02:22 AM

both
i have younger siblings from my mom/stepdad (1 sister) and my dad/stepmom (2 sisters, 2 brothers), but i'm the only one from my mom/dad and i was raised alone by my grandparents.

early on (between the ages of 5 and 9), i saw my dad on weekends and got to play with my little brother (the others were younger, babies/toddlers so we didn't do much with them). i always wished i had an older brother, though, someone to "show me the ropes". closest i had to that was an older cousin that i saw sometimes while visiting my dad's side of the family. i loved him, but he seemed so much older at the time that we didn't really get to be very close.

i lived with my mom/stepdad for a few miserable years, too (from around 9 to 16). during that time, my father was mostly absent, though i saw/visited them a few times--but by then, my brother and i had been apart so long that we weren't close any more like we had been as little kids. my sister (from mom/stepdad) was born when i was 12. i spent the rest of the time i lived with them watching after her, playing with her, etc. but after i moved back in with my grandmother a few years later, i didn't really see/hear from her again.

i moved out, was gone for about 5 years, then was forced to move back by unforeseen circumstances. during the time i was moved out, i made a few visits and saw my siblings during at least some of those, got to know my little brother/sister on my dad's side, got to hang out with my brother a bit. didn't see or hear much from my sister on my mom's side.
after i moved back, i spent about a month living with my dad while trying to find work. my little brother joined the navy, my sister had a boyfriend and had become kind of a spoiled bitch. the youngest two siblings were kind of wild and annoying as children tend to be, but somehow i connected most with my little sister (the youngest one). i don't remember how, but a good while after my last visit, we got into contact through text messages and have been talking ever since. i tried to meet up with my dad and brother, but my brother flaked out on me and didn't speak to me again after that. i'm not going to chase him down and try to force him to get to know me; if he wants to reconnect, he knows where i am. my sister on my mom's side doesn't talk to much of anyone except her friends, though she'll talk to me a little whenever we're stuck at some family gathering. but i don't see her outside of those.

so as of now, the only one of my siblings i feel like i know at all is the youngest sister on my dad's side. she's about 18 now, it's been years since i've seen her, but we text off and on most weeks. i never got to have a big brother, but i guess i sort of get to be one...

Amane
(ღ˘⌣˘ư...

Old 08-08-2017, 03:46 AM

What if I told you I'm not the sibling who tried to knock off one of my siblings?

Inzanebraned
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-08-2017, 07:55 AM

I had a half-brother on my mother's side who was 8 years older than me...we only lived together for a short time when I was very young before he went to live with his dad. He passed away about 10 years ago from a brain tumor.
I had a half-brother and a half-sister on my dad's side who were older than me. I only remember meeting them once and I have no idea if they are still living or not.
I was raised mostly like an only child by my Grandma and step-Grandfather, until my Grandma died, forcing me to live with my mom after that.
I knew very little about my half-siblings.
I rather enjoyed living as an only child in my Grandma's care.

Wonderlands
Super ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ...

Old 08-08-2017, 08:02 AM

I call myself an only child but I have a sister that is 20 years older than me so I have never lived with her. She has a different father, thank god. Anyway, our relationship is pretty good, we only talk to each other every now and again because she lives in a different city. I do kind of wish I had a sibling that I lived with because I feel I missed out on so much. I envy people with sisters where they can talk, argue with, grow and cry with. It would have been a huge social boost for me because I am shy as hell. Having one would have brought me out of my shell more. However being an "only child" has its major perks because I get all of the attention... and more money spent on. Maybe too much attention but hey, I'm alive and my parents love me. (And my sister :P)

Mystic
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 08-08-2017, 09:35 PM

I have both an older brother and two younger sisters that are biologically related to me. I have someone that I call my younger brother but he's actually my brother in law. We've been close for most of our lives and I've always just called him my brother.

I don't get along with my younger sister any more since she started dating this controlling jerk that nobody in the family likes. Sadly, it destroyed the relationship we had and I have not spoken to her in months now. I'm just hoping she sees how much of a jerk he is. Noone else in my family had the guts to say anything to her face until I did. After that my mom made it clear she did not like how he treats her.

My second youngest sister I get along with just fine. She's pretty much my best friend and we talk daily and meet up when when have time to.

My older brother and I don't speak often but we get along well enough. He only really calls when he needs something, which I'm mostly fine with. He lives in another state so I rarely see him.

We all got along growing up but once we all started having our own lives and grew up a bit more, it caused some rifts.

Ecchi

Old 08-09-2017, 08:12 AM

I have a half brother and a sister!

Dutchess Diehly

Old 08-10-2017, 12:16 AM

I am an only child, but I love it! I never really wanted any siblings and I can keep myself very busy. All my friends have multiple siblings, I love how close they are but I don't think I myself would be happy with any siblings.

Wiesteria
Goddess

Old 08-10-2017, 12:18 AM

..Only child, my mum wanted more children,but she had an hysterectomy.
But it's okay I don't mind lol I'll just find a best friend to call a sister!

Eldweena
Gaming FFXIII-2

Old 10-01-2017, 02:20 PM

I have two younger brothers. I kind of liked being the oldest because I got to do a lot of things first. Except drive, because my parents are extremely sexist and didn't feel I, as a female, needed to have a drivers' license. I can't explain that, so please don't ask.

One of my brothers is only a year and a half younger than I am, and lives and works nearby, and as a result, we're pretty close. My other brother is significantly younger than I am, so although I cared for him when he was a baby and young child, I moved out as soon as I turned 18 and moved far away, so we lost touch and are basically estranged now. I'm kind of sad about it, but mostly disappointed about how he was raised after I left. He's gotten into drugs and drinking, had run-ins with the law, and has become basically a neo-Nazi.

Viveka
:3

Old 10-01-2017, 06:28 PM

I have a half-sister who is about 20 years older than me. My mom gave her up for adoption when she was born, so I have never met her. I only learned of her existence about two years ago. o_o

My dad was briefly engaged to someone who had two children, probably 6 and 10 years older than me. I consider them my honorary stepsiblings :3 Since I am estranged from my dad now, we don't talk much.

sailor star rainbow
\(@O@)ʌ...

Old 10-01-2017, 11:10 PM

I'm a middle child I have a older sister how is about 5 years older then me. plus a brother how is a year younger then me. I also have a step brother how is I guess 12 years younger then me.

I get a long okay with my big sister she and I. did not get a long that much growing up as kids. but as adults we are doing okay she is more busy now a days. as for my brother we live with each other in the same house. I see him all the time we get a long alright.

As for my step brother he is my 2 step dad's son. him and I do not get a long well when he was younger. I'll put it politely he was spoiled rotten jerk.

PrincessMiah

Old 10-03-2017, 05:34 PM

Sadly i'm a only child
i've always dreamed and thought about how nice it would of been to have a sibling. Sometimes it got kinda lonely , so growing i would just spend lots of time online or playing video games. Now i have two kids of my own but i still want more. i feel that the reason for that is because i didn't any any siblings so i don't want my children to grow up bored or lonely

Apicula
Mountain Dweller

Old 10-05-2017, 04:34 AM

I'm the youngest of two.

Our relationship is pretty complicated, made even more complicated by the fact she refuses to acknowledge it's complicated. Without going into too much detail, there was a lot of abuse that went on, but now that I live/work in a place where I'm well respected she likes to use our sibling connection to make herself "cool" by association. This is without ever admitting that she messed me up in a lot of ways.

I wish things had played out differently because I'm surrounded by people who had great relationships with their siblings and it always seemed like it would have been cool to have a sibling relationship that was rooted in mutual love/support.

Misscreannt

Old 10-05-2017, 06:30 PM

I have 3 sisters. Two are older and one is younger. My younger sister and I have always been close. Growing up, I was teased and I had only 1 friend (literally). My sister was my best friend and at times my only friend. That's the best thing about having a sister, in my opinion. Always having that one person who has your back. No matter what goes on in my life, my sister has been there to support me.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 10-06-2017, 12:51 AM

I have two brothers, one older by a year and a half and one younger by two and half years. At various points in time growing up, I have been closer to one or the other. However, we share very few interests and do almost nothing together. Even when living in the same house in later years, I wouldn't speak often with my younger brother. My older brother has lived in a different city for quite a few years already so we don't speak often. I'd say I'm neither close or in poor relations with them.

I think it would be interesting to have a sister and maybe I would be closer if that were the case. However, I find it hard to imagine. I admire siblings with close relations, but then...I don't really get it either.