The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 09-02-2017, 02:31 AM

So I was browsing the net as usual after work and came across this video of a nurse being arrested for following not only her job but also company policy. Insane and scary. It's things like this that make me afraid of the police =/
News Article

Opinions?

As someone who is a registered nurse aid this scares me to no end... because I've dealt with the police before.

Inzanebraned
(^._.^)ノ

Old 09-02-2017, 06:54 AM

I think the nurse should file charges against the officer and sue for damages for the trauma that this event caused her.
Just because someone is wearing a badge does not give them the right to intimidate someone into giving up their civil rights.
The nurse was standing up for the rights of someone not capable of standing up for themselves at the time...so she should stand up for herself, now, and press charges and sue!
The officer should be relieved from his position as a law enforcement officer and be made to undergo extensive mental evaluation.
What in HELL was he THINKING?
I applaud the nurse's actions and I hope she chooses to file charges so as to make an example of this officer as how NOT to behave while wearing a badge!

MercyGrim96
It's tea time!

Old 09-02-2017, 01:43 PM

Wow that's terrible, honestly police go on power trips all the time. That was insane!

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 09-02-2017, 02:30 PM

Yup... goes to show it's not just people of color they'll grab. It's anybody and everybody they can intimidate.

Honestly, I think that officer needs to be fired, not relieved. No benefits.

MercyGrim96
It's tea time!

Old 09-02-2017, 05:30 PM

I agree, what they did was unprofessional and unacceptable. If it were any other job where someone messed up like that they would be fired immediately, so he should too.

Viveka
:3

Old 09-03-2017, 12:52 AM

Oh, that's so terrible :( Nurses don't get the respect they deserve.

When I was little, I was sometimes involved in domestic violence situations where the police were called out to my home. They were always very caring and respectful towards me, and I've always respected the police in turn. The older I get, the more I realize that not all police are like the ones I interacted with in my childhood - unfortunately. :(

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 09-03-2017, 02:46 PM

That's the same for me. I had officers at my schools that loved kids, and I had a lot of positive experiences. But with all this news like this seeing a cop instills fear.

Mystic
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 09-05-2017, 10:20 PM

The police broke the law here. She did nothing wrong. It's really messed up that she got assaulted for doing her job. She handled the situation as well as she could have. The officer has no right to be an officer any longer if he can't even follow laws.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 09-06-2017, 01:44 AM

Sadly this is an ongoing trend lately. They're being trained to be more like a military, so they intimidate people until they get what they want. In the past they would interact with the police in a more friendly manner.

I have the fortunate benefit of being quite large (6ft), but I can't do much against the grenade launchers they're being authorized to have.....

Mr. Wrong
Challenge your paradigm

Old 09-12-2017, 02:09 AM

I hate to say it, but this wrongful arrest of a nurse is a vulgar display if police as bullies and it's precisely instances such as these that cause otherwise law abiding citizens to be fearful of the police. And rightfully so. Watching this nurse being abused by a sworn peace officer who took an oath to uphold the law is sickening to watch.

Even more disturbing is learning from the follow up articles that this officer was not disciplined in any meaningful way. This obviously indicates this type of police bullying is an intrinsic part of the local law enforcement culture from the top down.

Many moons ago, I had the opportunity to talk candidly with a man who ran for sheriff in an Arizona county who told me then that the trend in policing was changing from the beat cop mentality to virtually becoming soldiers. And this is so easy to see these days. Granted, today's police have to deal with the most brutal of felons, but still, a balance must be sought, and none is. More and more, it is becoming increasingly evident that an attitude of Us vs.Them is taking hold among law enforcement.

We are living in the Last Days. Watch. Listen. Learn.

Last edited by Mr. Wrong; 09-14-2017 at 01:24 AM..

Consarn
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-12-2017, 02:14 AM

This is messed up.
It's also sad how this is becoming the "norm".
Whatever happened to serve and protect?

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 09-12-2017, 04:36 AM

I remember hearing something at one point that they don't have to actually protect you. They are not obligated by law so they could sit there and watch.

monstahh`
faerie graveyard

Old 11-02-2017, 07:19 PM

I think at this point the cop got fired and is also facing charges

Mr. Wrong
Challenge your paradigm

Old 11-02-2017, 10:35 PM

https://youtu.be/ihQ1-LQOkns

Quote:
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 2, 2017

Utah nurse reaches $500,000 settlement in dispute over her arrest for blocking cop from drawing blood from patient

(Salt Lake City Police Department/Courtesy of Karra Porter) In this July 26, 2017, frame grab from video taken from a police body camera and provided by attorney Karra Porter, nurse Alex Wubbels is arrested by a Salt Lake City police officer at University Hospital in Salt Lake City. The Utah police department is making changes after the officer dragged Wubbels out of the hospital in handcuffs when she refused to allow blood to be drawn from an unconscious patient.

University Hospital nurse Alex Wubbels has agreed to a $500,000 payment to settle a dispute over her arrest by a Salt Lake City police officer after she barred him from drawing blood from an unconscious patient, her attorney said Tuesday.

Attorney Karra Porter said at a news conference that the agreement with Salt Lake City and the University of Utah covers all parties and takes the possibility of legal action off the table. “There will be no lawsuit,” she said.

The arrest drew widespread condemnation after Porter released police body camera and hospital security footage of the encounter on Aug. 31.

Wubbels will use a portion of the money to help people get body camera footage, at no cost, of incidents involving themselves, she said at the news conference. In addition, Porter’s law firm, Christensen & Jensen, will provide for free any legal services necessary to obtain the video.

“We all deserve to know the truth and the truth comes when you see the actual raw footage and that’s what happened in my case,” Wubbels said. “No matter how truthful I was in telling my story, it was nothing compared to what people saw and the visceral reaction people experienced when watching the footage of the experience that I went through.”

Wubbels said she also will make a donation to the Utah Nurses Association and will help spearhead the #EndNurseAbuse campaign by the American Nurses Association.

Porter said she hopes the discussion about the need for police body cameras continues and noted that the footage also protects law enforcement officers.

The July 26 encounter leading to Wubbels’ arrest began when she refused to allow Salt Lake City Detective Jeff Payne to draw blood from an unconscious patient who had been involved in a fiery crash in Cache County earlier in the day.

Wubbels pointed out that the crash victim was not under arrest, that Payne did not have a warrant to obtain the blood and that he could not obtain consent because the man was unconscious.

Payne insisted he had implied consent to get the blood and eventually arrested Wubbels. He handcuffed her and placed her in a police car outside the hospital, then released her after about 20 minutes. Charges were never filed against the nurse.

RELATED ARTICLE

Salt Lake Valley police, nursing group announce policy for hospital interactions after Utah nurse’s arrest

Wubbels is heard on footage of the incident asking a University police officer to protect her because Payne had threatened her with arrest. The U. officer informed the nurse that if she interfered with Payne’s investigation, she would be obstructing justice and he would not prevent the detective from arresting her.

The footage shows that as Payne moves to arrest Wubbels — grabbing and chasing her — she screams and backs into the U. police officer. The officer places a hand on Wubbels’ shoulder, apparently assisting Payne. (Other hospital employees appear to try and talk Payne down as the arrest is taking place.)

On Sept. 13, Salt Lake City Mayor Jackie Biskupski announced an internal affairs investigation had found Payne and Lt. James Tracy violated several department policies during their interaction with Wubbels. A review by the city’s independent Police Civilian Review Board also found the officers violated department policies.

The two reports also single out U. officers and security for not trying to defuse the situation.

Police Chief Mike Brown fired Payne on Oct. 10 and demoted Tracy to the rank of officer. Both men have appealed the punishment to the Salt Lake City Civil Service Commission.

Wubbels said Tuesday she hopes the disciplinary measures are upheld. “I will be very disappointed if they aren’t,” she said.

The patient at the center of the controversy was 43-year-old William Gray, a full-time truck driver and a part-time reserve officer with the Rigby, Idaho, police department. He was severely burned on nearly half of his body in the July 26 crash and died Sept. 25.

A man in a pickup truck who was fleeing from the Utah Highway Patrol collided head-on with Gray’s semi on U.S. 89/91 near Sardine Canyon, according to Logan police, who investigated the crash. The pickup’s driver, Marcos Torres, 26, died at the scene.

After the crash, Logan police requested that Salt Lake City police obtain a blood sample from Gray.

Greg Skordas, Payne’s attorney, has said a federal regulation requires a blood sample when a driver with a commercial driver license (CDL) is involved in a fatal accident, and that by getting a CDL, a driver is assumed to have consented to a blood draw. Gray had a CDL and Payne wanted the sample so the injured man could keep that license, according to Skordas.

Porter has countered that the CDL regulation covers what an employer — not a law-enforcement officer — is supposed to do after an employee is in an accident. Another CDL regulation adopts states’ implied consent law but Utah’s statute specifically requires reasonable suspicion that a person was intoxicated before a sample can be taken, she said.

A criminal investigation into the arrest — which involves the Unified Police Department, the FBI and the Salt Lake County District Attorney’s Office — continues.

Comments (433)

[email protected]

Follow @PamelaMansonSLC
Finally, justice prevails. Thank you, Monstahh for bringing attention to this unfortunate incident.

Last edited by Mr. Wrong; 11-02-2017 at 10:44 PM..