hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 11-10-2017, 07:23 AM

When did it become wrong to have a difference of opinions? Isn't that what makes America and other countries a good place to live and raise your family? Everything is so politically correct anymore you can't say anything without offending someone, even if it is unintentional. I find myself having a hard time forming a sentence anymore. When did all this become the norm?
I always liked differences. If everyone is as conservative as I was life would be really boring. I learned from other people's opinions. Even if I don't agree with them I don't dislike them because they have them. I don't want to vomit on them or wish they weren't around anymore. I think I actually take away something from everyone's opinion.
What about you? What are your thoughts about how we seem to be so diverse anymore. If you don't think like me I don't want to hear what you have to say. Do y'all feel like that's the way it's becoming?

Please discuss respectfully.
Please don't take offense to someone else's opinion if it's different than yours.
Please keep an open mind and maybe we can teach each other a little something new.

Mr. Wrong
Challenge your paradigm

Old 11-10-2017, 08:15 AM

It's nifty quote time, hummy!

Quote:
To criticize a person for their race is manifestly irrational and ridiculous, but to criticize their religion, that is a right. That is a freedom. The freedom to criticize ideas, any ideas, even if they are sincerely held beliefs, is one of the fundamental freedoms of society. A law which attempts to say you can criticize and ridicule ideas as long as they are not religious ideas is a very peculiar law indeed.

It all points to the promotion of the idea that there should be a right not to be offended. But in my view the right to offend is far more important than any right not to be offended. The right to ridicule is far more important to society than any right not to be ridiculed because one, in my view, represents openness, and the other represents oppression.

Rowan Atkinson
You are welcome.

---------- Post added 11-10-2017 at 02:36 AM ----------

Here are two things my father taught me about life and words:

1. You can have thin skin and a hard heart, or you can have thick skin and a soft heart.

2. Life is like a grind stone; you can let it grind you into a powder, or you can let it shape you and hone you.

I don't mind someone respectfully disagreeing with me because it can allow me to see things from a different perspective which can increase knowledge or further insight. I can even handle teasing, mockery, and some abuse. What I don't care for is slander. The first name given to the devil in the bible is that of slanderer. To slander someone is to assassinate their character; to kill them. When you attach other meanings to what others have said or meant, this is to slander or to bear false witness. This is when you find I might me becoming a bit defensive.

Last edited by Mr. Wrong; 11-10-2017 at 09:03 AM..

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 11-10-2017, 12:22 PM

I don't think we've became less diverse at all. On the contrary. I think we're more diverse than ever, partly because it's no longer widely accepted to immediately kill for what you believe in. Underground belief systems (and even the choice to not have one) other than the big boys (Christianity,Islam, Judaism,) are being embraced because there aren't inquisitors rounding people up and putting them in ovens or on pyres anymore.

This taking offence where none was meant goes both ways. Something most conservatives don't seem to see when bringing this up.

For example:

Some might get offended when people say happy holidays, at "Christmas" time. That's fine, I personally have no problem wishing what ever holiday has been wished upon be back. However, do they ever offer the same grace they demand from other religions during this holy period? In my experience. No. And this is the problem people have.

It goes both ways. Or should, but it has remained one sided for far to long. So long that, now that people are requesting what you have expected from others you think you're being persecuted. You're not.

I DARE you to wish someone a "Safe Saturnalia" this yuletide when someone "wishes" you a Merry Christmas and see what happens. It'll tell you, and skip your embarrassment. If they don't look at you funny, unaware of what that even is they'll get offended and try and convert you. Call you names, and yes, even threaten your life or call police for putting up "the wrong kind of star".

Think how someone feels when you insist on wishing people you don't know a Merry Christmas. Particularly when Christians literally burnt your wise women and stole your Celebrations. Christians aren't even suppose to celebrate the way pagans do! There's a whole thing in he bible about not decorating the trees in worship as pagans do. And yet bunnies and pine trees come out at the same times as ours to lure good pagans to your holy wars. No thanks.

Don't get me wrong, I like people sharing yuletide/Saturnalia with everyone ect. It's nice. I also don't hold anyone's beliefs against them, because in all likely hood they were born into them.

However every-time I hear someone insist with a blind faith that, "If a Christmas tree isn't called a Holiday Tree, then why should we say Happy Holidays.", I die inside. It's not A Christmas Tree! Never was. At best you should call it a pine. But it's more than that to me and other pagans. We wouldn't expect you to know what, or how and in the past we have let it be for fear of persecution. But now, I think we're beyond feed up with your ways and are done hiding in shadows.

"We" (society/other religions) aren't insisting you change your ways at all. We are merely requesting the same grace you've demand of us from the start.

Whether it's Christmas, Yule, Saturnalia, Hanukkah, or kwanzaa (or any I missed) If we just agree to disagree and say HAPPY HOLIDAYS! or Peace on Earth We can find a happy medium and get along better. Words are powerful and mean things. So why should you be able to force your religions blessings onto strangers willy nilly? You shouldn't! Furthermore, getting upset when they won't wish it back to you is beyond ridiculous.

Amane
(ღ˘⌣˘ư...

Old 11-10-2017, 12:46 PM

I'm reminded of that "unpopular opinion: I hate these cookies" Tumblr post where someone totally flew off the handle over someone saying they dislike those nasty frosted sugar cookies. Yeah, surprise! I don't like them, either. I like the ones with colorful sugar crystals atop.

I DON'T LIKE THESE COOKIES EITHERX

I love having unpopular opinions.

On a more serious note, I'm not one for debate and persuasion. I don't believe it's possible to change someone's mind like that. Rarely have I seen an attempt at persuasion, or even just an attempt to explain the reasoning behind one's position, end in the other person saying, "Oh, yeah, you're right; I like your opinion better now/that's a good opinion to have."

I think persuasion fails so often because chances are we already know what the other side thinks. We think what we think for personal reasons. Someone else's facts and logic aren't going to change that. Personal experience changes a person. When we see our opinion fail us, then we change it.

My parents (… mainly one) taught me a number of things are so, so wrong and I should never like them. What made me start liking them? Others telling me to? Changes in laws? No. Experiences with these things, or with people who were okay with them, showed me that they were actually alright and liking them didn't make me bad. For an idea of what these things were, my parents are -ist and -phobic… *smiles and sighs exhaustedly*

Heavens, I've got a thing I am firmly not okay with. Will I reveal it? No. But say one were to try to explain to me that it is not the evil, vile thing I make it out to be in my mind. I already know that! It's not hurting me in any way when other people are involved in it. Do I care? No. I don't like it, and that is that. No matter how much the person tried, it would require an elephant of a personal experience to make me okay with this thing I do not like. *shudders* I'll give you the hint that it's becoming more accepted in recent times.

I didn't come here to argue my position on "persuasion is pointless," so please don't get into this with me. It would be a mess of amusing coincidence that would be incorrectly declared "irony," too. I legit do believe, for now, that attempts at persuasion rarely work. Personal experience is the key! Maybe I've just never seen someone who's good at persuasion.

I didn't mean for this to get so long. I better ping my wall o' text subscribers.
llonka: Menelaus: salvete: hanahaki disease: Inzanebraned:
This is a mini issue. Sorry about that! I feel it's got a strong amount of the thoughtful element that you guys said you like, so that's why I'm pinging you. And, llonka… I said I'd ping you. *winks*

This is why my religious mother won't listen to me no matter how many times I tell her tarot cards are not at their core tools for black magic. She needs to work with a tarot deck so she can see that I can't use the cards to kill my family. Paraphrase of her words, not my own exaggeration for humorous effect. *smiles and sighs exhaustedly again*

Last edited by Amane; 11-10-2017 at 01:08 PM..

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 11-10-2017, 12:57 PM

I like difference of opinion. Sometimes I like to take a side that is the opposite of another person to see how they react.

The only thing I dislike is blind faith. When you believe something because of the cause and not because of the effect it will have on the world around you.

Amane
(ღ˘⌣˘ư...

Old 11-10-2017, 01:03 PM

Oh! And I find that if you're able to look past your horror/digust/amusement/et cetera over a person's differing opinion and ask, "Why?" you could learn a lot about a person and what the world is like for them.

Does blind faith mean you think something because someone you trust thinks it, but you yourself haven't looked into the matter?

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 11-10-2017, 01:15 PM

Blind faith is when you believe something regardless of fact or reason. These people refuse to learn new things typically and are extremely odd minded to new ideas.

So true amane, I always find it interesting to learn how others live. I find nobody has the best way to live, but by combining our knowledge we take one step closer to it.

llonka
Momma to the Crazies!

Penpal

Old 11-10-2017, 01:55 PM

Amane, that was a very well thought out post! From an English teacher's perspective, you get an A+!

I agree though. Only personal experience can form one's opinions on things. My mother, who is very Christian, frowns at tattoos and more than one piercing. Guess what? I have six piercings and one tattoo right now. In my opinion, they are perfectly fine. I plan on getting more tattoos, that will be cover-able of course since I'm going to be a teacher.

Another example: Many people have an opinion that getting married at 18 is a bad idea. Well, I did it and we are still married and get along just fine. I always say, to each his/her own!

Thanks for pinging me, Amane! It got my analytical brain thinking!

Amane
(ღ˘⌣˘ư...

Old 11-10-2017, 02:16 PM

Yay! You're so welcome, llonka.

Mumsy doesn't like tattoos because she just thinks they're a big mistake. *chuckle*

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 11-10-2017, 02:29 PM

I think it depends where you put them. Some spots that stretch often aren't as good for that.
Or if you know it a gonna stretch the tattoo should be one that will stretch well.

Kory
Spooky Action at a Distance

Old 11-10-2017, 06:36 PM

I like it when someone has a different opinion than mine,
What I DON'T like is when they tell me that MY opinion is wrong or when they try to tell me that their opinion is the only one that matters.

I absolutely hate it when people constantly try to change MY opinion. I am an educated adult and I don't need anyone to make opinions for me. If I am not educated in a subject, I will be the first to tell you that I have no opinion and I am open to listening to others, but telling me that my opinion is wrong is NEVER okay.

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 11-12-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amane View Post
I'm reminded of that "unpopular opinion: I hate these cookies" Tumblr post where someone totally flew off the handle over someone saying they dislike those nasty frosted sugar cookies. Yeah, surprise! I don't like them, either. I like the ones with colorful sugar crystals atop.

I DON'T LIKE THESE COOKIES EITHERX

I love having unpopular opinions.

On a more serious note, I'm not one for debate and persuasion. I don't believe it's possible to change someone's mind like that. Rarely have I seen an attempt at persuasion, or even just an attempt to explain the reasoning behind one's position, end in the other person saying, "Oh, yeah, you're right; I like your opinion better now/that's a good opinion to have."

I think persuasion fails so often because chances are we already know what the other side thinks. We think what we think for personal reasons. Someone else's facts and logic aren't going to change that. Personal experience changes a person. When we see our opinion fail us, then we change it.

My parents (… mainly one) taught me a number of things are so, so wrong and I should never like them. What made me start liking them? Others telling me to? Changes in laws? No. Experiences with these things, or with people who were okay with them, showed me that they were actually alright and liking them didn't make me bad. For an idea of what these things were, my parents are -ist and -phobic… *smiles and sighs exhaustedly*

Heavens, I've got a thing I am firmly not okay with. Will I reveal it? No. But say one were to try to explain to me that it is not the evil, vile thing I make it out to be in my mind. I already know that! It's not hurting me in any way when other people are involved in it. Do I care? No. I don't like it, and that is that. No matter how much the person tried, it would require an elephant of a personal experience to make me okay with this thing I do not like. *shudders* I'll give you the hint that it's becoming more accepted in recent times.

I didn't come here to argue my position on "persuasion is pointless," so please don't get into this with me. It would be a mess of amusing coincidence that would be incorrectly declared "irony," too. I legit do believe, for now, that attempts at persuasion rarely work. Personal experience is the key! Maybe I've just never seen someone who's good at persuasion.

I didn't mean for this to get so long. I better ping my wall o' text subscribers.
llonka: Menelaus: salvete: hanahaki disease: Inzanebraned:
This is a mini issue. Sorry about that! I feel it's got a strong amount of the thoughtful element that you guys said you like, so that's why I'm pinging you. And, llonka… I said I'd ping you. *winks*

This is why my religious mother won't listen to me no matter how many times I tell her tarot cards are not at their core tools for black magic. She needs to work with a tarot deck so she can see that I can't use the cards to kill my family. Paraphrase of her words, not my own exaggeration for humorous effect. *smiles and sighs exhaustedly again*
thank you for the ping

Crimson Fang
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to Crimson Fang Send a message via MSN to Crimson Fang

Old 11-20-2017, 11:30 AM

When it comes to differing opinions it depends a lot on the topic being discussed. Simply having a different opinion to me doesn't on it's own guarantee I will even have a response. But certain topics tend to be more evocative than others.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 11-27-2017, 09:04 AM

That is a good point

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 11-27-2017, 05:26 PM

The U.S. is definitely becoming more diverse, not the way around.

A lot of things are labeled as "politically correct" when they should actually be labeled as "respectful." Not everything is about politics, so I don't agree with the term. People should just be nice to each other. If someone takes offense to what you said, seek to understand why.

Amane - Did you know that religious jews are not allowed to get tattoos?

Nephila - that's interesting, I didn't know what meaning pine trees had for pagans. I wonder if Christmas trees came into existence because the holiday became commercialized? Regardless, I do love the pretty Christmas trees with the ornaments and lights -- only because they are shiny and beautiful to look at, not because of any religion or belief system on my part -nods-

llonka - congratulations on your strong marriage <3 my roommate is a devout Christian and getting married soon in her very early twenties, and I have a feeling their marriage will last for a long time as well.

HIM_ROCK
NPC

Penpal

Old 11-27-2017, 08:11 PM

You can't say anything anymore without someone getting butthurt over it.

Inzanebraned
(^._.^)ノ

Old 11-27-2017, 11:22 PM

Opinions are like buttholes....everybody has one, and some smell better than others.
If we never had differences of opinions, the world would be a very boring place!

HIM_ROCK
NPC

Penpal

Old 11-28-2017, 07:43 PM

We are getting to a point of political correctness going insane.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 11-30-2017, 04:53 AM

It makes me extremely anxious. Because I'm one of those people that texts and submits and usually doesn't read what they said. And now I'm like afraid to use a pronoun. Which helps here because I guess I'll learn more Goldie's =3

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 11-30-2017, 07:31 AM

I sometimes have troubles with peoples pronouns myself. I always try and correct myself quickly if I misstep and apologize.

It's very natural for us to see what's directly in front of us and judge as a part of humans built in survival mechanisms. We've all been trained to see things in a very physical way, and to be honest the wrong way. Black or white/male or female, instead of the persons divine spirit/ higher self.

I wouldn't worry to much about it hummy. You have a good heart and head on your shoulders.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 11-30-2017, 10:01 PM

Thank you Nephie
It's just most of the time I don't have my signatures enabled and I know some people say they don't want to be called he / she and I worry about offending someone and not even meaning to. But let's face it I'm a worry wart I'm going to worry about something all the time anyway. And you know what I actually never knew that there are some people that don't worry about things. In fact I think I worry enough for lots of people to not worry about things. Working hard worrying for y'all!

Inzanebraned
(^._.^)ノ

Old 12-01-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummy View Post

Thank you Nephie
It's just most of the time I don't have my signatures enabled and I know some people say they don't want to be called he / she and I worry about offending someone and not even meaning to. But let's face it I'm a worry wart I'm going to worry about something all the time anyway. And you know what I actually never knew that there are some people that don't worry about things. In fact I think I worry enough for lots of people to not worry about things. Working hard worrying for y'all!
You and me, both, Hummy!
I worry about EVERYTHING! People keep telling me that I shouldn't worry so much, but I find that I even worry in my dreams and often wake up in a panic!

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 12-01-2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzanebraned View Post
You and me, both, Hummy!
I worry about EVERYTHING! People keep telling me that I shouldn't worry so much, but I find that I even worry in my dreams and often wake up in a panic!

OMG! I do too! I even wake up crying. I don't know how not to worry. I don't even have to be really close to someone to worry about them. I remember reading about a guy who was gay in like I don't remember the country I want to say Sweden Switzerland someplace like that and he wanted permission to kill himself you know be euthanized. And I could and still can't get that out of my head. That he felt so unloved that he prefer to be put down like an injured animal.

Crimson Fang
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to Crimson Fang Send a message via MSN to Crimson Fang

Old 12-02-2017, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummy View Post

It makes me extremely anxious. Because I'm one of those people that texts and submits and usually doesn't read what they said. And now I'm like afraid to use a pronoun. Which helps here because I guess I'll learn more Goldie's =3
If it makes you feel any better, I'm essentially like this with every word. It is amazing how difficult I make spoken communication look despite only speaking one language. Little things like "Good after... morning" and "Have a good luck." These are the most normal examples too. It's almost a game of chance when it comes to which words I string together.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 12-02-2017, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Fang View Post
If it makes you feel any better, I'm essentially like this with every word. It is amazing how difficult I make spoken communication look despite only speaking one language. Little things like "Good after... morning" and "Have a good luck." These are the most normal examples too. It's almost a game of chance when it comes to which words I string together.

I wouldn't say it makes me feel better, but it's nice knowing there's someone else as anxious about it as I am. Feel free to talk to me anytime I'll be able to decipher what you're trying to say. And if not we'll struggle together.