Kent
owo

Penpal

Old 09-13-2013, 01:18 AM

How many people on Mene are currently enrolled in or have graduated from higher education institutions? Are you planning to? What majors do/did you have? What degree(s) are you striving for? What degree(s) have you received?

I've received a Bachelor of Arts in English (concentration in creative writing), with a minor in Japanese Studies. Someday, I would love to go for a Master's degree in Publishing and Editing.

Kamikaze Kendra
Music Guru

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Kamikaze Kendra

Old 09-13-2013, 01:26 AM

I'm currently pursuing a Diploma f Baking and Pastry, and once I'm done with that this winter I'll be transferring to another school for either my Associates or Bachelors in Baking and Pastry as well.

Kent
owo

Penpal

Old 09-13-2013, 01:56 AM

Wow, that sounds like an awesome field to major in~ > w<

Kamikaze Kendra
Music Guru

Penpal

Old 09-13-2013, 02:08 AM

It's so much fun!! And tasty, because for quality control you HAVE to try some of what you make. Haha.

Seridano
Disaster On Legs

Old 09-13-2013, 02:24 AM

Much like Kent, I have a Bachelor of Arts in English. Though, in my case, my university allowed us to double up on concentrations, so I opted to go for both creative writing and lit. studies...not that it's done me much good.

At some point, I am looking to go to grad school, but I figure I ought to pay off a good deal of my undergraduate loans first. xP

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 09-13-2013, 02:29 AM

I dropped out of highschool to get my AA Degree, then later went back for an Aerospace Catia V5 Certification.
I dun want to go back to school D:

Tam Lin
when a wild young man appears a...
Send a message via AIM to Tam Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Tam Lin

Old 09-13-2013, 02:39 AM

I have an unusual set of degrees.

I started at Reed College, but transferred to the University of St Andrews where I got an unusual degree: An undergraduate Masters degree. Then I started a PhD program at the University of Sheffield, which I ended up wrapping up after the taught portion as a Postgraduate Certificate.

I guess that's like having a regular Master's degree, but in a kind of roundabout way.

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 09-13-2013, 10:15 AM

-stalks Kami from now-

llonka
Momma to the Crazies!

Penpal

Old 09-13-2013, 03:12 PM

I've changed my major many times in the last seven years. When I was just out of high school, I thought I wanted to get my Associate's in Medical Laboratory Tech. I had to drop out due to having my first son. When I tried to go back about two years later my major was Nursing. Again had to drop out due to having my second son.

I finally have been going back again, yes this is my third try and going strong this time, started as Medical Lab Tech again, but after researching and going through a nurse's aide program I decided medical was not for me. I have finally decided on pursuing a degree in English! Who knows what I will do with it, and I get ridiculed for it by my dad. He thinks I should be doing Nursing, which could be why I tried that in the first place. Anyways, right now my goal is just to get my Associates then I'll try to decide where I want to get my Bachelor's. :)

Did any of you with English degrees ever get asked what you are going to do with it? I think I may end up teaching English, but I'm not sure that's what I really want to do with it.

Last edited by llonka; 09-13-2013 at 03:15 PM..

Flowery Pit
Come fall into my abyss

Old 09-13-2013, 06:22 PM

I went to a community college but I didn't get my AA because I just could not enjoy the environment. While the campus was nice and the classes weren't crappy, it was mostly the people there and I just, I went into this "I don't care"attitude. So it ended up not working out. I took more art classes there than general education.

Now, I'm aiming to get my bachelors in Game Design. Unfortunately, because I didn't take any general ed. I am stuck with freshmen/sophomores when I could of been a third year or higher. It's okay though, I've gained some friends who are also transfer students and are in the same place as I am.

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-13-2013, 06:57 PM

I have a Bachelor's in Education and a Master's in History.

All of this is so that I'm qualified to teach high school history. New York State gives teachers a period of 5 years to get their MA, otherwise our license is revoked.

Kamikaze Kendra
Music Guru

Penpal

Old 09-13-2013, 07:06 PM

Ikuto, I do have a food thread floating around somewhere where I pretty much post pictures of what I make, and we just discuss food in general. Sounds like it might be up your alley.

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Send a message via AIM to ~LONGCAT~

Old 09-13-2013, 07:23 PM

I have a B.S. in BS.
Actually I have a B.S. in Natural History Interpretation, which is a fancy informal science education degree. My aim is to work in the national park service as an educational ranger.

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 09-13-2013, 08:12 PM

I have an Bachelors of Music Education and I'm working on my Masters of Music Education right now as well while I work as a full time music teacher :P

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-13-2013, 09:18 PM

I'm currently working towards an Associate's in Psychology. After that, I'll transfer to another college to get a Bachelor's in Psychology (or a more specific field of psychology), possibly with a minor in Literature. After that, I'm probably going for a Doctorate in Psychology - probably experimental psychology. I'm gonna be in school foreverrrr. @_@

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 09-14-2013, 04:46 AM

I'm working towards a Bachelor in Social Science...which at my uni is very similar to Social Work. So when I graduate I'll be working in a human services field, essentially. There's an ongoing joke among my peers that we'll graduate to be Social Scientists, but that's not the case at all... for most...

nemo.love_22
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 09-14-2013, 08:04 AM

I have been in college for 6 years, with no degree yet (don't get me started on why it's taking me so long -it's a sore subject for me). I am attempting to get a Bachelors in Deaf Studies.

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 09-14-2013, 08:47 AM

nemo, I just thought I'd mention that I've been studying at uni for 9 years and have yet to gain a degree. So you're not alone.

Wonderlands
Super ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ...

Old 09-14-2013, 08:50 AM

I'm currently studying a Bachelor of Business majoring in Sports and Events Management. Statistics is really getting to me at the moment though and the only things that are keeping me going are my subjects next year and the prospect of being able to go to Disneyland with a Cultural Exchange Program once I finish at least one year. I've never been the best at the whole school concept, haha.

Last year I did about... 5-6 weeks of Education, Primary. HAHAHA! *wipes away tear* What a dumb decision that was.

RoadToGallifrey
When life gives you melons, make...
Penpal

Old 09-14-2013, 07:41 PM

I'm currently doing a Bachelors in Sociology, though the first two years of my degree have modules in Psychology too.

The_Crow
Mime From Hell
Penpal
Send a message via AIM to The_Crow Send a message via MSN to The_Crow Send a message via Yahoo to The_Crow

Old 09-16-2013, 06:50 AM

My Bachelor's Degree was with the "Blended Liberal Studies/Teacher Education" program. All throughout my undergraduate classes we had our professors come to our teaching seminar to discuss pedigogy, classroom management, and such. I did my Senior Thesis my _Junior_ year, and my final semester I was in all graduate-level Education classes.

I also squeezed in a Music Minor. This was incredibly difficult because my program was the most unit-heavy of all at my institution. I had to be at or push past the limit of units we were allowed to take and also do 'Full Time Summer School' at community colleges while working full time hours.

So, basically, as it stands, I squeezed 5 years worth of coursework into 3 1/2. If I would have been able to complete as I had originally planned, I would have completed six years work in four.

Roxxxy
Sex Bomb

Old 09-16-2013, 04:01 PM

I go to Eastern Michigan University. I will graduate in 2 semesters with a B.S. in Anthropology, and then plan to enroll for a Museum Studies certificate, and possibly a Master's in something related to anthro or museum studies :D

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 09-21-2013, 03:19 AM

I have a BA for Anthropology (Archaeology focus) with three minors (Earth Science, Classics and Medieval & Early Modern Studies) and just handed in my dissertation for my MA in Archaeology. : )

I'm planning on getting a Ph D for Archaeology so I can teach at a university level.

Roxxxy
Sex Bomb

Old 09-21-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
I have a BA for Anthropology (Archaeology focus) with three minors (Earth Science, Classics and Medieval & Early Modern Studies) and just handed in my dissertation for my MA in Archaeology. : )

I'm planning on getting a Ph D for Archaeology so I can teach at a university level.
Awesome, a fellow Anthro major :D

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 09-22-2013, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythos View Post

All those degrees sound so pretty! *grabby hands*

I have an Associates of Science from Southern Vermont College and a Bachelors of Arts in English and History from the University of Vermont. I am looking into more school (moar scul fer ma bwainz pleez!!!!!!!!) in the up coming spring or fall semesters, depending on what I want to pursue. Possibly either a Masters in Education or a Masters in Nutrition Studies. I'm kinda up in the air with those.

Originally I wanted to get a Masters in Library Science or Museum Studies, but......yah. I'm on the 'I can get a real job!! Maybe...' kick with the other degrees.