Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 11-18-2012, 01:23 PM

ようこそ!
Welcome to the Kanji Clubhouse!
Our goal is to provide a fun and productive environment for learning Japanese. Simple right?

╔════════════════════════════════════╗

There are no requirements for joining in here.
You can be a hardcore learner or a casual learner.
I'm still a beginner as well; so don't be shy!

╚═════════════════════════════════════╝

Index
Post 1: Introduction
Post 2: Rules & FAQ
Post 3: Japanese Learning Resources
Post 4: All around good sites
Post 5: Additional Resources
Post 6: Japanese Sites
Post 7: Helpful posts within the thread

Last edited by Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa; 06-16-2013 at 11:06 AM..

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 11-18-2012, 01:24 PM

Rules

Follow the rules and ToS of Menewsha.
Be respectful of the level and purpose for learning of everyone. No one likes to feel insufficient.
If you're translating your posts make sure to put either the full Japanese text or full English into a quote box. This is so you're not unfairly earning double the amount of gold for one thing.

Example:
Quote:
Hi everyone!
Quote:
皆こんにちは!
Or
Quote:
皆こんにちは!
Quote:
Hi everyone!
This is okay:
Quote:
こんにちは everyone!
If you use the hide tag, you still need to use the quote tag also!

SPOILERX

Quote:
Herro~

Quote:

SPOILERX

Hi.
F.A.Q.

Q. Can I type in Roumaji?
A. Sure!

Q. Can you translate something for me?
A. Because I'm still a beginner, I probably won't be much use for that, but you're free to ask for help and hopefully someone with more experience can help you out!

Q. How do I type in Japanese?
Check out this page: TextFugu | 2. Installing Japanese Input On Your Computer Check to see if you have an IME installed already by going through the steps to add language keyboard.

Index

Last edited by Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa; 11-19-2012 at 01:40 AM..

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 11-18-2012, 01:24 PM

Resources

Hiragana
Chart and Stroke Order

Katakana
Chart with stroke order

Extra
Comparison charts of Hiragana and Katakana
RealKana- Simple website for practicing hiragana and katakana

Vocabulary
(I wish I had better/more resources here, but the vocabulary I've learned has been through a number of resources. Hopefully I can add more to this!)
Japanese Worksheets- Has a good bit of word lists to choose from to get you started!

Kanji
(A disclaimer of sorts: Learning kanji is an ongoing process. As such, there's no one good method or source for learning it. Try different methods!)
Guess Kanji Stroke Order- Now, some people like the feeling of repeated writing of a kanji to get the stroke order down and further memorize it. I stopped being one of those people a while ago, but I do think stroke order is still an important thing. But I'd rather take a guess at the order, than figure it out for each kanji as I'm already struggling to learn the readings and meanings.

WaniKani- A site that I've been finding useful for learning kanji. It's a Spaced Repetition Service (SRS) and is still in beta, but you can request an invite and it shouldn't take long. I think I waited about 2 weeks or so. There is a fee for using it, but the first two levels are free. So I recommend signing up for the beta and giving it a shot!

Read Japanese Today (book)- I haven't gotten through this, but I do like what I get out of it so far. It explains the supposed origins of kanji, making them easier to see as pictures instead of just lines.

Heisig's Remembering the Kanji(book)- I haven't tried this source out myself, but I've heard decent things about it. It is most well-known and praised for making the meanings of kanji easy to remember. The downside is that the readings of kanji is not addressed.

Kanji chart- For a while, I was simply taking either simple-meaning kanji or simple-stroke kanji, finding the meanings/readings/stroke order online somewhere and just writing them over and over. I don't do that really anymore, but a chart like this is nice to have.

Dictionaries
Wikitionary- A site I used quote a bit to discover what certain kanji meant.

Kanji Stroke Order Dictionary- Another site I used when I was just taking simple-stroke kanji and finding out the meanings and readings for.

Jisho- A useful dictionary for finding words, kanji, and sentences.

Sljfaq- A site where you can draw a kanji to discover its meaning/readings. This one takes a bit of working around and I find it easier to just use the "Multiradicals" options to find the kanji I'm looking for.

Grammar
Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese Grammar- In a number of places, this guide has been referenced and highly recommended. It's pretty straightforward stuff!

The Japanese Page: Fast Track- I like this because the lessons in each chapter are fairly short and to the point.

Verb conjugator- Type in the dictionary form of a verb and it provides a chart of its conjugations.

Index

Last edited by Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa; 11-18-2012 at 01:27 PM..

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 11-18-2012, 01:25 PM

All around good sites

All Japanese All the Time(Language)- A site with a vast amount of articles, mostly relating to immersion and motivation.

Joshu(Language)- I haven't used this myself, but it looks promising. Use the blue tabs at the top of the page to click through the site and explore!

Justhungry(Culture)- This site is mostly centered around Japanese food, but with that comes a good look into Japanese culture.

Kids Web Japan(Culture)- A cute site that explores many topics of Japan.

Renshuu(Language)- A good place to quiz yourself on a variety of things. There is a pro version, but you can still do quite a bit without that.

New!RocketNews24(English)(News/Culture)- This site is the English counterpart to RocketNews24.com which is Japanese. It's good for those moments when you need a learning break, but want to keep up to speed on Japanese happenings.

Tofugu(Culture)- A fun site filled with articles that motivate and explore the cultural aspects of Japan. It is also linked to Textfugu(Language), which is a virtual textbook of sorts. There is a fee, but you can try the first Season (chapter) for free.

Index

Last edited by Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa; 11-18-2012 at 01:28 PM..

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Additional resources

Anki- This is another SRS program you download onto your computer/phone similar that is essentially virtual flashcards. You can create your own deck, or download the decks of others.

Article of reading resources for beginners- Another Tofugu article! Pretty self-explanatory. Check it out.

New!Cafe+- A social networking app/website where you can join "cafes" (groups) to interact with others who share the same interest. There are a number of Japanese and Japanese/English Learning cafes for you to join.

JOI Teachers Blog- This site posts a weekly blog about a topic providing the blog in Japanese with and without furigana, the English translation, a speaking video, and a vocabulary list of the words and phrases used. Very good practice!

New!LINE- An app (there's a desktop version as well) to make free calls and messages. Obviously this will be more helpful when you have contacts that also use this service. I actually downloaded the app not really understanding what it was for, then eventually uninstalled it because I didn't use it. Once I joined Cafe+ though, I ended up meeting other people and exchanging Line usernames so I ended up getting back into it because of Cafe+.
I'm pimping Tofugu again, but here's an article that elaborates further on LINE and Cafe+.

Reddit's LearnJapanese- In addition to a FAQ on how to get started learning Japanese, the community is overall pretty helpful. I mostly use this source as a place to find new resources and perhaps learn a few new words or phrases.

MyKikitori- This site is really cool if you're looking for some listening practice! There are a few lessons with audio clips that you listen to and then answer questions on.

Rikaichan- A useful browser add-on which, when enabled, allows you to hover over Japanese text, then provides the possible readings and meanings.

The Great Library- The last update here was over two years ago! Regardless, they have a few reading resources on this page that are good for practice.

› ›Fluent in 3 months- This is a neat site that's run by a polyglot. Unfortunately, Japanese isn't one of the languages he knows, however, he has lots of helpful reviews and articles for staying motivated through your language learning journey.
Index

Last edited by Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa; 11-18-2012 at 01:28 PM..

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Japanese Sites

Tunein Japanaese Radio- It may take a bit of trial and error to find a station to enjoy, but worth it! I frequently listen to this station.

Rakuten- I'm sure this site has more to offer, but I'm only interested in the food/recipes.

Chatpad- Just click the red button and it connects you to a random user to chat! As with any random chat service, be mindful of the information you give out.

Index

Last edited by Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa; 11-18-2012 at 01:32 PM..

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 11-18-2012, 01:32 PM

Helpful posts within the thread
A lot of questions get asked around here, but thankfully we have knowledgeable people around to help!

Ferra's posts

Greetings
Using narau and "this year" differences
The concept of 'should' and making suggestions. Adjectives information.
Making verbs into nouns with の and こと
How to use "ちゃう" and "ちゃった"
Levels of politeness and expressing "no"

Index

Last edited by Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa; 03-09-2014 at 10:24 AM..

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 11-18-2012, 02:20 PM

やっと!日本語を練習できる場所が出た!!
皆さんいっしょうに勉強します~!

Quote:
FINALLY! A place to practise my japanese.
Let's learn together!

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 11-18-2012, 03:24 PM

こんにちはレッテさん! はい!レッテさんの日本語は上手ですね。

Quote:
Hey Rette! Your Japanese is good.

Grumman_Goose
Dainty

Old 11-18-2012, 03:36 PM

これがただしければ、だれかがわたしおたすけることあごできる、わたしわわからないのですか?わたしわえい ごでにゅりょくするのでしょうか、にほんじが、とらてnもきでいおにゅりょくするのでしょうか ?

Quote:
can someone help me, i don't know if this is right? do i type in english or do i type in japanese but with latin characters?

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 11-18-2012, 04:23 PM

うれしい!褒められました!
アニメのおかげでです。

SPOILERX

I'm flattered/happy! Someone praise me!
Thanks to anime.

What a long string of hiragana, it actually make me dizzy. XD

Last edited by xuvrette; 11-18-2012 at 04:26 PM..

Grumman_Goose
Dainty

Old 11-18-2012, 04:29 PM

わたしわあにめかかまなぶことおこころみたが、
それわわずかなふれえずだ!

Quote:
I've tried to learn from anime but it's only small phrases!

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 11-18-2012, 04:43 PM

そうだね。
でも、それだけ普通の会話が十分だ。
わたしもそんなに上通じゃない。
辞書が側にいますから。

SPOILERX

Indeed. But already enough for usual conversation.
My Japanese is not all that good too. I have a dictionary beside me.

Grumman_Goose
Dainty

Old 11-18-2012, 04:47 PM

えみわたしわごおぐるほんやくおしよしています
それはしかしただしけらbPIわけんとがつかない

Quote:
hahaha i'm using google translate :P I have no idea if it's correct though

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 11-18-2012, 04:50 PM

ちょっと難しいです。
平仮名が長い過ぎる、目眩から読みません。

SPOILERX

A bit difficult.
the hiraganas are too long, didn't read cause my eyes are dizzy.

Grumman_Goose
Dainty

Old 11-18-2012, 04:55 PM

それはだ!わたしわじっさいににほんごおべんきょしたいが、
わたしわそれのためのじかnおみつけることわできません:(

Quote:
it is that! I really want to learn japanese but i can never find the time for it :(

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 11-18-2012, 05:08 PM

時間の問題ね…
わたしはひらがなとカタカナの方から勉強しました、自分で。
その後、基本の日本語のクラスに申し込めました。

SPOILERX

the problem about time...
I started with studying and familiarising myself with Hiragana and katakana, on my own.
Then, I sign in classes for basic japanese.

Grumman_Goose
Dainty

Old 11-18-2012, 05:20 PM

かれらわわたしがすんでいるばしょのちかくににんいのくらすにいるじゃないか

Quote:
there aren't any classes near where i live :(

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 11-18-2012, 05:46 PM

それが…すごく残念です。
ネットから勉強しますたら?
長谷川さんは第三のポストにいっぱいのリンクを集めてました、あちらへためましょう?

SPOILERX

That is... such pity.
How about learning from internet?
Hasegawa collected a few links in the third post, how about trying those?

Grumman_Goose
Dainty

Old 11-18-2012, 05:53 PM

わたしわするつもりだったが、それはにほんじnとのらいぶのことだばあ、
わたしわしっぱいのよいにみえるので、わたしわこわが¥つちゃう

Quote:
i was going to but if it's a live thing with a japanese person then i'll get scared because i look like a fail

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 11-18-2012, 07:19 PM

頑張って!
今遅いだから、もう休んの時間です。お休みなさい~

SPOILERX

Good luck!
It is very late now, sleeping time, nighty night~

Grumman_Goose
Dainty

Old 11-18-2012, 07:23 PM

おやすみなさい!よくねむる

Quote:
Good Night! Sleep well

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 11-18-2012, 08:37 PM

@GG: Definitely try out the links if you're interested in learning.  And don't be afraid of making a fool out of yourself. That's held me back plenty. D;

I wish I knew the language better, so I could help critique what's being said, but alas, not far along enough yet~

@レッテさん: Oh! If you're going to use the hide tags, they still need to be within quote tags. Just because things within the hide tags still give you gold.

すごい!アニメから勉強する~ 
どんなアニメを見てますか。

Quote:
@Rette:
Awesome! To study from anime~
What kind of anime do you watch?
I watched some anime, here and there, but I never really got into it. このごろ、ドラマを見ています。
おやすみ!

Quote:
These days, I watch dramas.
Night!

Grumman_Goose
Dainty

Old 11-18-2012, 08:52 PM

わたしわいまにあにおすべきかおかんがえさでぃた!わたしわあなたがとこしたりんくをちぇっく あうとし、
わたしわれしぴのいおみてきましたし、いくつかわほんとにおいしーそ!

Quote:
I've figured out what to do now! I'll check out the links that you posted, i've looked at the recipe one and some look really good!

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 11-18-2012, 11:24 PM

すごいですね!はい。それそのサイトは楽しいです。たくさんレシピがあります。おいしそう!

Quote:
That's great! Yes. That site is fun. It has a lot of recipes. They look good!

Last edited by Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa; 11-18-2012 at 11:42 PM..