Briar Rose
Professional Procrastinator
Send a message via MSN to Briar Rose

Old 03-09-2010, 04:53 PM

I've seen a lot of threads discussing what your favorite book is, what your favorite this and that are...so I thought I would go into the opposite direction and ask everybody what your least favorite genre/book is!

A why is always appreciated too. It's not much fun to read:

Quote:
I hate [x]. It sucks.

So I'll start off.

My least favorite genre is probably science fiction. Now to qualify that, I must add that it's really only my least favorite when it's not written well or there is too much modernism in it.
If I'm going to read a scifi book, I want to be in the future of futures. Fly cars, living on other planets, taking a vacation on another galaxy's planet...Not in 2030 with newly invented things that barely work, and people still wearing fashions from the 2000's. It's just not as interesting to me.

There you have it. Rebuttal? Anyone?
Or just post what you don't like.

*I must add that nobody is to make fun of anybody for not liking something they do. It's not nice, and honestly, your opinion may not be that great either :D It's not alright to be derogatory about something you don't like. Please keep it OUT of my thread.
Just get along please!

Last edited by Briar Rose; 03-28-2010 at 12:12 AM..

SugarRos
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to SugarRos

Old 03-09-2010, 05:27 PM

Let's see, least favorite genre....

I actually despise high fantasy, I'm not big into magic systems and elves and dwarfs. Most of the time it simply bores me. Some fantasy is okay, but most of the time it's badly done.

Lol, also, Science Fiction is my FAVORITE genre, lol.

Briar Rose

Old 03-09-2010, 05:55 PM

Lol. So you're not a fan of things like Lord of the Rings? XD That's my favorite of all time. Well, not that legend in particular...I just love Tolkiens worlds. He's got like, twenty books or something like that all about Middle Earth and it's history of the races...

I don't mind SciFi if it's well done, kind of like fantasy for you XD

SugarRos
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-09-2010, 08:26 PM

I enjoyed the LOTR movies, but I couldn't trudge through the books. However, I REALLY enjoyed G.R.R.M.'s fantasy series: A Song of Ice and Fire. Probably my favorite fantasy series. I also enjoy Dragonriders of Pern and the Harry Potter series, but unless it's done REALLY well and has something incredibly unique, it just doesn't perk my interest.

As I said earlier, magic systems bore me, simply because I feel a lot of magic systems create excuses for things that shouldn't be able to happen. I also just don't care about spells and witchcraft and all that jazz, so books that rely heavily on that sort of stuff I tend to stay away from.

Twilight aside, I tend to stay away from Vampires and the such as well. I'm not into dark, urban fantasy.

Science fiction, on the other hand, really interests me. I really enjoy spaceflight and new/different worlds and I love sci-fi action books.

However, on the flip side, I really can't stand the heavy science in sci-fi. If a SF book explains or lingers way too long on how the science behind the fiction works I get bored and don't care.

Some of my favorite Sci-fi books are the Ender's Game series, Uglies (so original!) and Fearless. I'm working my way through reading all the books on the Nabula's winner's list. :)

What are some of your favorite Fantasy books, Briar?

Kid Disaster
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-09-2010, 08:32 PM

I don't really like high fantasy OR science fiction. My only problem with them is that they usually end up getting so convoluted and obscure within their own mythos that they wind up getting nearly impossible to fully comprehend without a significant number of appendices or source materials. I lose interest pretty quick when books immediately dive into usage of author-created terms without any attempt to define their meaning (aside from a glossary in the back).

That being said, their are individual pieces out of every genre that appeal to me; they just have to be well-written, and it seems that fantasy and sci-fi are the genres most plagued by bad authors with no idea about how a story should be carried.

ButterflyDemise
Cupcake Zombie

Old 03-09-2010, 08:51 PM

I can't really stand to read anything with a too heavily Christian overtone. I know that passes beyond the genre known as "Christian", into many genres, depending on the author though. Why? Well it annoys me to no end. I can't really explain it.

haha, just for clarifing, I'm not anti-Christian. I'm non-religious, but tolerate, and even interested, in all religions.

fuyumi_saito
(。・ω・&...
Send a message via MSN to fuyumi_saito

Old 03-09-2010, 10:54 PM

I am not really a genre person. I find myself reading a lot of blended genres that are so popular recently. Like those fantasy, suspense, mystery, romance books. I like blended stuff. I do find myself skipping over some action that is in books. I don't really care for pointless fighting scenes where no one is injured or dies(except the bad guy) it's just kinda blah for me. So I guess you could say action then. Sports as well..and all those books about people and their pets(So overdone). Not really a genre but certain things..

LadyColetteTheChosen
Don't forget me...

Old 03-10-2010, 12:10 AM

My least favorite is historical/nonfiction books. I do like a few historical books, but I usually find them dull and unentertaining. I understand that sometimes these aren't meant to enertain, in fact they are more informative. I'd rather feel what the people of the time felt through description than read this happened, then this happened, etc. I believe a good writer can keep a book fairly factual, but still make the reader feel what has been felt. I noticed that most historicle books don't bother.

Demoncat
Unknown species
Send a message via MSN to Demoncat

Old 03-10-2010, 01:22 AM

I don't like high fantasy most of the time unless it is written by a humorus or interesting author. I also can't stand book where there are like 12 chapters on some sort of war, i'm fine with a fight or a battle but a all out war for 12 chapters straight gets boring after a while. :/ I guess I like stuff that has a supernatural or fantasy touch to it but it is still modren and not too off where its in a COMPLETELY different world where customs are different and so on. I can deal with a couple that start off in a different world like Poison by Chris Wooding. But really other than that i'm fine with just about anything, heck I read a really long biography on Charlie Chaplin and didn't mind. :)

Last edited by Demoncat; 03-10-2010 at 01:25 AM..

SugarRos
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-10-2010, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyColetteTheChosen View Post
My least favorite is historical/nonfiction books. I do like a few historical books, but I usually find them dull and unentertaining. I understand that sometimes these aren't meant to enertain, in fact they are more informative. I'd rather feel what the people of the time felt through description than read this happened, then this happened, etc. I believe a good writer can keep a book fairly factual, but still make the reader feel what has been felt. I noticed that most historicle books don't bother.
Have you ready any historical fiction by Philippa Gregory? I'm not big into Historical fiction either, but those books are yum. :)

JennyVonDoom
(-.-)zzZ

Old 03-10-2010, 03:14 AM

I really dislike murder mysteries... they are probably the only genre where I would prefer to just watch the movie or have my mom sum up the story for me since she loves them. I might be able to get on board if the author is really detail oriented and doesn't leave plot holes glaring at me but I have found that this is typically not the case. I can forgive some plot holes in other genres but come on... it is a mystery... everything that you are being told should be taken into account and I should be kept guessing as to who did it at least 3/4 of the way through the book.

I am also not a huge fan of high fantasy that insists on focusing on over describing everything instead of focusing on characters and character relationships. Example: Lord of the Rings I had to force myself to finish but the Dragonlance Chronicles Trilogy has just the right balance of description/fighting to actual character interaction for me.

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 03-10-2010, 03:20 AM

My least favourite genre would have to be those period dramas that people call "classics" Jane Eyre etc.

Briar Rose

Old 03-10-2010, 05:31 PM

Those are all very interesting opinions! And I'm so glad there is such a diverse book-reading populace on Mene :D

SugarRose: Hmm, that's a really tough question. xD Some of the very first books I read when I was younger have stayed my favorites; every book written by Cornelia Funke. Although I hated the way they massacured her Inkheart book in the movie. I sooo couldn't picture that Mummy actor playing a main character...But anyway...I did enjoy the Harry Potter series, but I was super annoyed when she killed Sirius >.< OH! I forgot to add every book by John Flanagan and Jim Butcher. I adore them both. My favorite series by Butcher has to be The Codex of Alera by far though.

Kid: I totally agree with that. I hate it when authors use their own words. Because then I start thinking that I'm the crazy one who can't remember a word and can't find it in the blasted dictionary >.<"

Butterfly: Do you mean like the blatent Christian tones in Lion Witch and the Wardrobe? I tend to stay away from anything labelled Christian, mainly because I was raised in the church and now that I'm older and allowed to somewhat think on my own via the church...I've found that it's full of holes, hypocrocities, and really ignorant people. But anyway...:D I know exactly what you mean.

Saito: What are some of you favorite blended books? I don't think I've ever read one. I probably have, ust not known it xD

Carzee: Why don't you like them? Just don't care for the drama aspect or are the periods just...sucky? xD

akhmonster
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-11-2010, 04:11 AM

i hate romance novels, i dont mind romance in a book, but when that is all there is i kind of want to vomit. to much gooey mushy affection is too much.

Briar Rose

Old 03-11-2010, 05:00 AM

Oh I know what you mean. For me, it's fine if that's what I'm reading the book for...but when it's supposed to be an adventure or something and there's romance a-bloom everywhere...it just gets way annoying.

Scarebear
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-11-2010, 05:01 AM

I read various genres but have yet to find a books I liked in the... old romance type genre... Like the romance set in Little House on the Pairie type settings.

Briar Rose

Old 03-11-2010, 05:19 AM

I haven't read any books like that...Heck, I have only seen one little part of the movie XD

EDIT: Where did you get those eyes? I didn't see a new eye thing in the Avatar area...

Scarebear
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-11-2010, 05:37 AM

My eyes?

Briar Rose

Old 03-11-2010, 06:05 AM

On your avatar. They look different from the ones in the Avatar thing.

Scarebear
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-11-2010, 07:54 AM

They were there. I picked the pair that has one green, one blue. :)

Briar Rose

Old 03-11-2010, 04:52 PM

Huh. *Shrug* Weird. Which Eye is it?

youknowimaidiot

Old 03-12-2010, 04:30 AM

My lesat favorite genre has to be non-fiction. If it doesn't have a dragon in it (or at least mentions one) I can't read it. I'm not saying I enjoy dragon books it's just that I like magic in the books. High fantasy is my favorite. When I'm forced to read a non-fiction or a historical fiction book in school I hardly ever read it because I simply get bored and usually don't finish the book. For example I think I read four pages of To Kill A Mockingbird because I was so bored with it and I'm not exaggerating lol.

ElysiumFate
There is beauty everywhere.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:27 AM

(Sorry, don't know if I've posted here, so if I have: disregard this comment) ^_^

I don't hate this genre, but I am sick of it...Mystery. I just read too many of them as a kid.

TalkingBackwards
Grim
Send a message via AIM to TalkingBackwards Send a message via MSN to TalkingBackwards

Old 03-12-2010, 04:29 PM

GAH. To Kill a Mockingbird is my favorite book. */wrists*

My least favorite genre is... whatever is popular now-- those romance books? Especially the ones with vampires. There is/was a big discussion going on about this in the vampire books threads, but seriously. I hate all the new books coming out about how some chick gets pulled into the vampire "world" cause she has some special ability or something. My mom eats those books up like candy, then tells me all about them. XD

Briar Rose

Old 03-12-2010, 10:40 PM

Talking: Oh I sooo agree with you. I have several friends that find it impossible to shut up about it, and with each word they speak, I want to strangle them >.< Especially since they're the kind of friends that hardly ever read anything worth reading and are...rather excitable. Followers basically. *Shrug* But that's small town living for ya.

I only read Mockingbird once, but I have seen the movie twice XD All times for English classes. I do like how the book is written, but I find myself getting very angry at a few of the characters XD