Menewsha Avatar Community

Menewsha Avatar Community (https://www.menewsha.com/forum/index.php)
-   Books (https://www.menewsha.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   Paranormal Romance (https://www.menewsha.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191146)

koolaidroxs 11-14-2011 08:11 AM

Paranormal Romance

Now I'm a sucker for a good romance but when someone throws paranormal stuff in there, I'm hooked. Right now I'm about to read Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton. The last one I've read though is Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep.

Quote:

My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy — a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest.

But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why—especially since I should have been the one who died. . .
- barnsandnoble.com

So what paranormal romance books did you enjoy? Which ones did you not enjoy?

Bearzy 11-17-2011 08:00 AM

Ok, I love Paranormal books where someone happens to fall in love, but as soon as someone actually says "It's a paranormal romance" My brain goes... Uhoh. This is doomed.

For some reason, books that put the romance ahead of the paranormal-ness always annoy me.

Roxxi Shiagami 02-24-2012 07:37 PM

There's a few good paranormal romances that I have read. They've been blended quite well (at least in my opinion). Christine Feehan, all of her books. My personal favorite is her ghost walker series. (Got a good bit of paranormal plus conspiracy theory.)

J.D. Tyler is also good. Primal Law is so far the only one out on print. I think she has one that is on ebook. I think another one will be coming out in April.

Ling 02-24-2012 11:08 PM

I think the best Paranormal romance stories I read were part of the Night World series by L.J. Smith. I read them as a teenager though and never reread them so I still have fond memories of them.

Roxxi Shiagami 02-25-2012 12:11 AM

I read them as well! Which one was your favorite book and did she ever write any more books after Witchlight?

Ling 02-26-2012 06:12 AM

Unfortunately my memory of them is not that flash, so I don't actually recall them by title. Though Witchlight does sound somewhat familiar.

Roxxi Shiagami 02-26-2012 04:25 PM

Witchlight was the third of the blue fire children. It also had a shapeshifter prince whose soulmate was the shapeshifter body guard.

zublet07 03-14-2012 12:00 AM

I've read quite alot of paranormal romances. lol... I think im in the hundreds now. lol.

Roxxi Shiagami 03-14-2012 12:35 AM

lol, I know what you mean. I'm right up there with you. :P

Linnea 04-05-2012 04:59 PM

the dark hunter series by sherrilyn kenyon is chock full of paranormal romance. there is a little bit for everybody and the 'vampire' persona is tweaked a little bit as well as shifters, gods and goddess and all sorts of fun stuff... oh and the 'bad guys' are pretty good too, i mean, sometimes it's hard to hate them cause you can understand why they are the way the are

Obsidian Raven's Song 04-06-2012 11:10 AM

I'm not really a huge romance fan but one author I do really like is Patricia Briggs. She has two series that exist in the same universe with several of the same characters. It focuses mainly on werewolves but it has a whole bunch of other supernatural creatures. The main focus in the series isn't really on the romance, though there is a little more of it in her second series, Alpha and Omega. If you do decide to look into them, I'd read the Mercy Thompson series first. Gives you a little more background information.

Vox 04-07-2012 03:55 PM

The one you quoted doesn't sound interesting to me, although it might have if I were younger, as it seems to be told by a younger voice. I do like a unique sci-fi or fantasy plot with paranormal elements, and romance is okay, but I prefer it not to be central to the plot.

Ivvy 04-07-2012 11:39 PM

I enjoy this genre but I will have to think what ones to suggest.