Molotov21
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-11-2007, 08:17 PM

I haven't yet had the chance to read it, but I really do want to. Dorian Grey was one of the most interesting characters in "League of Extraordinary Gentleman", and it got me interested in the character. :3

Trinitydoll
(ο・㉨・&...
Banned
Send a message via MSN to Trinitydoll

Old 04-12-2007, 02:20 AM

All my students knew the character because of that movie >.<

Skada
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via MSN to Skada

Old 04-12-2007, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitydoll
All my students knew the character because of that movie >.<
modern media is not necessarily a bad way for students to learn of classic literature. like the Narina books, the movie wasn't so great - but a lot more kids read the book than would have without the movie. so i was very grateful for that.

Robot Jane
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to Robot Jane

Old 04-13-2007, 04:48 PM

I haven't read it, but I got a used copy of it from a charity book store. It's really litte, and can fit in the palm of my hand, and the edges of the pages have gold leafing.

It's cute.

Skada
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-13-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Jane
I haven't read it, but I got a used copy of it from a charity book store. It's really litte, and can fit in the palm of my hand, and the edges of the pages have gold leafing.

It's cute.
that sounds so pretty. *swoons* i love pretty books.

Robot Jane
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to Robot Jane

Old 04-13-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Jane

It's cute.
that sounds so pretty. *swoons* i love pretty books.
Yeah, you can get some pretty good stuff in places you didn't expect. Like the take a book leave a book thing at the train station. I got some pretty good gay smt there!

Skada
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-14-2007, 03:55 AM

i often scour used bookstores for pretty books, but have really bad luck with coming across them. there was once this leather bound copy of Grimm's fairy tails i didn't buy and completely regret it. i think i used up all my luck on that, and since i wasted it didn't get anymore xD

O p h e l i a
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-14-2007, 06:55 AM

Used bookstores are really useful when it come to find pretty editions... Expecially for classical book that really suit the "retrò" style [ :D ] and you can find really good prices, wich is always a good thing...
In those places I found almost all my favourite books :3

Skada
Dead Account Holder

Old 04-14-2007, 05:03 PM

good used bookstores are hard to come by though. there are none in my city, i have to drive an hour or so to get to any...

Some Random Randomness
Absolutely Malignificient King o...

Old 08-30-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucida
I didn't like Dorian that much in The League... he just wasn't the same as in the book, in my opinion. But then again, i didn't really like that movie at all... i am not a fan of action movies where you don't really get the story at all... the vampire lady, however, was kinda cool ^^
I loved this book. But I loved it just the same as any of the other gothic horror classics.

But I'm not sure if it was better than "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde". That was a great book.

And the vampire lady was Mina Harker, the finance/wife of the main character in Dracula, Jonathan Harker. (Also an awesome book.) But I didn't like how she acted in the movie. It was nothing like the original Mina Harker.

Anetra
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to Anetra

Old 10-01-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audley
I'm a big fan of Oscar and of Dorian Gray - it's the first book I recommend to anyone whenever they ask what I think they should be reading.
Of course YOU would think so!! Tsk tsk.

But yes- Dorian Gray was marvelous. I would recommend to anyone and everyone the film "Phantom of the Paradise", it takes rather direct Dorian / Faust inspiration, but apparently was a major flop outside of Winnipeg, MB (that's Canada), so like, nobody has ever heard of it.
It is very lovely though. BEEF is so funny.

Some Random Randomness
Absolutely Malignificient King o...

Old 10-01-2007, 11:04 PM

So in reference to the complexity of Dorian Gray and Jekyll/Hyde, those were both relatively easy. A real hard book to read is Tess of the D'Urbevilles. It's an awesome book, but the language is harder than others.

Immortaleyes
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Immortaleyes

Old 10-01-2007, 11:53 PM

I haven't read the book, but it sounds like it would be something interesting to read. I'll have to see if I can find it, to join the discussion properly.

Kiralisha
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-04-2007, 09:51 PM

Oh, how I love that book. The black and white movie is great too, although I've really given up hope of finding a copy. The actor who plays him is gorgeous.

I have to go now and swoon over the greatness of Wilde. *swoon*

Jimminie Krickit
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-07-2007, 04:13 AM

I loved that book. Really hard for me to read, but it did make me think and I felt really smart for a while after reading it. Reading in an older english sort of writing is really hard for me to read and understand. Dyslexia, and ADHD can be thanked for that. I do get confused easily.

Anywho, a great book.

pwny_of_doom
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-08-2007, 05:03 AM

I liked that book a lot. It's supprising how many Wilde fans there are on this site.

I like how corruption slowly eats at Dorian.. it's like fancy doom metal in text.

The Picture of Dorian Gray wasn't difficult to read. Don Quixote is the only book I've ever had difficulty with. It was interesting, but not interesting enough compared to how difficult it was.. so I quit about a third of the way through.

zumbie
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 10-08-2007, 03:07 PM

Pwny: you read that book to me..
:oops: I like when you read to me

pwny_of_doom
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-09-2007, 05:17 AM

I'm glad you like hearing it, because I liked reading it to you. I enjoyed both the book and your company. I win twice!