Desiderata
(-.-)zzZ
n/a

Old 05-13-2007, 04:38 PM

No, I don't hate him at all. I know that he is a prize winning author but I just found his book, A Hundred Years of Solitude, a little confusing so I put it down for a while. These days, I like to do light reading just before I sleep so I read James Patterson or Anne Tyler. In the near future, I can see myself going back to Marquez because I don't want to miss out on his greatness.

Winnsome
(◎_◎;)
Send a message via AIM to Winnsome Send a message via MSN to Winnsome

Old 05-13-2007, 05:29 PM

I actually like Amy Tan, and I'm chinese. :lol:
Joy Luck Club has got to be one of my favorite books.

As for hated authors?

Scott O'Dell. I hated him ever since I was in fourth grade. I never got what was so special about living alone in the wild befriending dolphins. =/

I don't like Steinbeck that much either, but Grapes of Wrath sort of grew on me. xD

Marquez writes funny but well, so it's not something I would read in my spare time but it's okay.

I think Hardy makes charactesr that are so real we don't like them. xD
But other than that he's okay too.

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 05-13-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knave
Thomas Hardy. Of course this hatred is only based off of one book, Tess of the d'Urbervilles.
UGH.
Try reading a bit more of his stuff. I admit that he isn't for everyone, but Tess of the D'Urbervilles is very hard going if you aren't prepared for it. Is it a safe guess that you had to read it for school?

Winnsome
(◎_◎;)
Send a message via AIM to Winnsome Send a message via MSN to Winnsome

Old 05-13-2007, 07:28 PM

yeah, the mayor of casterbridge was great.
My friends thought it was a bit slow and boring, but I actually liked it. xD

And I liked Tale of Two Cities, and Oliver Twist. @__@

Adreena
De-activated

Old 05-14-2007, 08:11 PM

I don't think I really hate any authors... I just really, really dislike a lot of their work. I love to read, but I seriously hate when people try to force you to read something you don't like (school) just because it's suppose to be a classic or something they expect you to read it and love it. I think a lot of the "classics" are crap though.

Ancasta
(¬º-°)¬

Old 05-14-2007, 08:44 PM

Laurell K. Hamilton.

Forgive my language, but bitch went batshit! She's stopped accepting constructive criticism on her books, started bitching on her blog about how anyone who doesn't agree with her 'characterization' and where she's taking the books is just an evil hater and a prude who can't handle how 'cutting edge' her books are, talks about her characters like they're real people (I fully understand referring to characters as muses and joking about how they'll HATE what you're about to write, but she's not joking)... I could go on and on.

Pink Geisha
(-.-)zzZ
Banned

Old 05-14-2007, 11:35 PM

I don't like Lemony Snicket. His stories are too depressing. I like happy..ier stories. Everything that happens in "A Series of Unfortunate Events" as you might guess, are bad for the kids. Who wants to read about people dying?! D'=

SleepingPumpkin
\ (•◡•) /
Banned

Old 05-15-2007, 03:55 AM

Cannot STAND Ernest Hemmingway.......nothing but booze and women....big freaking whoop

angel_of_joy
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-15-2007, 05:04 AM

i've never been a very big fan if Stephen King. i liked secret window but that was about it. all the rest of his books just seem... so alike.

Jesmond
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to Jesmond Send a message via MSN to Jesmond

Old 05-15-2007, 05:59 AM

J.R.R. Tolkien is the first that came to mind.
I really cannot stand his writing, I just can't.
Same with William Faulker. I read As I Lay Dying and I'll say right now that I have no intentions of ever reading something by Faulker again.
I've heard that many people commend him for his experimental style, but I dislike it... I guess I'm unimaginative, but I don't really care.

bslayer
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to bslayer Send a message via MSN to bslayer

Old 05-16-2007, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knave
Thomas Hardy. Of course this hatred is only based off of one book, Tess of the d'Urbervilles.
UGH.
Aww. He's one of my favorite authors. What exactly about the book did you dislike?

bslayer
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to bslayer Send a message via MSN to bslayer

Old 05-16-2007, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingPumpkin
Cannot STAND Ernest Hemmingway.......nothing but booze and women....big freaking whoop
XD Yeah I completely agree. We read The Sun Also Rises in my Great American Novels class last year and it took me a long time to get through it x_x The drinking and the sex, combined with the bullfighting, was just terrible. I get that its supposed to be about men who were injured in war and all... but still.

fairywoman823
Send a message via MSN to fairywoman823 Send a message via Yahoo to fairywoman823

Old 05-16-2007, 07:45 AM

Personally I Hate Steven King. I detest his books and find them a pointless read.

Meirles
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-16-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morien
And Hemmingway bores me to tears. I'm generally into literature and novels and all that good stuff, but Hemmingway..... ugh.
The Old Man and the Sea~... a little more than half way into that book I realized that I had read about 100 pages and all that had happened was that an old man had caught a fish and struggled with it for three days before he killed it. Worst thing I ever read.

And I hated the style of When the Legends Die by Hal Borland. Basically the book read like this: This happened. Then this happened. Then someone died. A song was sung. Memories. Then something else happened. Dramatic change of scene. A return to the old ways. The End.

Ugh is right.

astolat
n/a

Old 05-17-2007, 12:07 AM

Isabelle Allende.

I DESPISE HER WRITING STYLE!!!!! I'm sure she's a nice person, but WHO TAKES 30 PAGES *written in point like 2* DESCRIBING A HOUSE!!!!!

BESIDES HER?!?

I know. I'm a bit upset. But it was the first time I read a book with sombody else. Two reading the same book at the same time. Amazing. We got half of the answers right each on the test though... LOLOL It was a group effort. :P

Kanamo
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-19-2007, 02:40 AM

I dislike Charles Dickens with a passion as well. >w< He's got great ideas, but he goes on and on about details or characters that don't really matter. >.>

Lilithia
(◎_◎;)

Old 05-19-2007, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroSenshi12
I'm not too much of a fan of (DON'T SHOOT ME!) J.K. Rowling. Her concepts and ideas for the first couple of books were great, but these latest editions just don't cut it.
I totally agree.

Tsubasa Rose
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 05-19-2007, 07:19 AM

i read more than i eat/sleep/breathe lol and i don' hate any authors with the passion of a thousand suns but i've got a couple who come pretty close.

i've read three books and several short stories and u know what i still hate Hemming way :P
i remember hating A Seperate Peace but i don't think it was the author i think it was the story that got to me.
Stienbeck is nothing but a migrane
and i'm sorry but i can't read shakespeare- i can watch it, i love theatre. but actually trying to figure out shakespeare alone in my room with words he made up- no :x i don't play that game

and i agree with some of u with J.K. Rowling. She's good for what she is but its the media's attention to make it like the greatest thing since sliced bread is kinda irratating.

Pink Geisha: Ur free not to like whoever but ur reasoning kind of gets to me. After all it IS called The Series of UNFORUnate Events- and right off the bat he says how is a sad book ( ^_^ ) on the back of the book. And people die in alot of books- i've actually read a certain author who managed to kill off at least a third of the characters in the first book. With the very sense of life there must be a following of death or when is someone living? Once again not saying "u suck" or anything remotely like that for not liking him- but ur reasons seem off- they just don't seem like like reasons to Dislike/hate him. just not like him.

Emily Sargent
(-.-)zzZ
n/a

Old 05-19-2007, 11:17 PM

Ann Rule.

She thinks she's tops enough in the True-Crime book biz to make re-releases of old stories in her new books. Most of her other fans are gnashing their teeth about that too. No wonder those books are hard to sell off even on Ebay.

swissfishwish1
(-.-)zzZ
n/a

Old 05-19-2007, 11:46 PM

I absolutely cannot STAND F Scott Fitzgerald....his books are incredibly confusing and dull. I also don't think much of Shakespeare, I think he was insane and his plays aren't very good at all. all of his plays involve romance, death, and battles to the end....so over-rated. also, I can't ever seem to finish a stephen king book, it's just not very interesting and I don't get what the big deal with him is. and anne rice books are all about the same thing just with different names and locations. that's kind of stupid too. although blackwood farm was pretty good.

Deidara
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to Deidara

Old 05-20-2007, 02:28 PM

Mark Twain. :( I absolutely hate his style of writing, and all the y'all's and such are killing my head!

Kasana
Dead Account Holder

Old 05-22-2007, 09:25 AM

J.K ROWLING!!!

She destroyed my faith in books with her harry potter shit, its terrible.

noirette
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-22-2007, 03:55 PM

How funny; Rowling got me reading when I was a wee lass. O:

Can't stand Francesca Lia Block. I used to absolutely adore her, went back a couple of weeks ago to read something, and just nearly puked. Who published this? There are strings of words but half the time they're not sentences. There's a girl having sex with a centaur. Does that even MAKE sense?

Steinbeck, Fitzgerald, and Hemingway have a special place of loathing in my heart. How is it none of the books I've had read from them are over 150 pages, and yet I'm bored stiff? It has to take work to be THAT dull.

Saikoguy
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-22-2007, 04:59 PM

Lemony Snicket D: I hate the way he explains the meaning of almost every bloody word.

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Melody Send a message via MSN to Melody

Old 05-22-2007, 05:34 PM

joseph conrad.

i did not get any of the symbolism or anything else that was supossed to be in his books. ugh. i saw nothing in te heart of darkness and i cant even pretend that i did.

but i did use it in my ap exam and bs my way into a 5 haha. im awesome. <3