Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Melody Send a message via MSN to Melody

Old 05-22-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasana
J.K ROWLING!!!

She destroyed my faith in books with her harry potter shit, its terrible.
i like Harry Potter. it helps kids learn to read nad keeps them interested. i've read the books to kids at the library during story hour and the kids loved it. i guess it depends on your age group as to how you think the writing is. since its for little kids i think its awesome. (: and it captures their immagination which is something that most books dont do for little kids now a days.

SonyTwilight
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to SonyTwilight

Old 05-22-2007, 11:32 PM

Agatha Christie

cookskill3r
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-23-2007, 12:24 AM

Jrr Tolkien

He came out with the book the unfinished tales of middle earth wich was a complete and total bummer it made it sound like a book where he would tell us what happend before gandalf came to middle earth and came for bilbo baggins but no thats not even close to it he just tells us what happend to that piece of writing and that he cant publish it because his son didint want that piece published

He includes way to many fantasy vocabulary that almost everyword you have to look in the back of the book for the meaning.

-This is just an opinion

Elie Mei
(-.-)zzZ
n/a

Old 05-23-2007, 02:03 AM

Ooh... Camus. It's not that I hate him so much as that it's not really my thing, I guess. I just don't understand his popularity. It's not because of the existentialism, either (I suppose I'm a bit of an existentialist myself), just him in general. Maybe there's just something getting lost in translation.

javey
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-23-2007, 05:44 PM

Stephen King.

The man is a machine! And the writer in me cringes at the idea of him churning out lackluster book after lackluster book. I've read quite a few of his works, always hoping that one of them will be interesting. And though The Shining came close, it does not redeem his assembly line publication.

Dean Koontz is another one of these writers.

Where there is lots of productivity and little creativity, you will find me standing just off screen, tearing at my hair.

javey
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-23-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saikoguy
Lemony Snicket D: I hate the way he explains the meaning of almost every bloody word.
The dictionary quality of some of the books are tedious, but there are also desperately funny moments.

"It is never a good idea to put things which you are allergic to in your mouth. Especially cats."

And for children's books, I found the series absolutely brilliant.

Ellendar
Dead Account Holder

Old 06-18-2007, 03:05 AM

I've cone to detest most of Tolkeins work, The Hobbit was good, but otherwise ughh... Then anne rice... ughh once tried to drag myself through one of her books... it was awful...

Shoujoka
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to Shoujoka

Old 06-18-2007, 03:38 AM

Faulken. And RL Stein. And whoever wrote Catcher in the Rye I can't recall his name atm.

=/

mekado
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-18-2007, 04:08 AM

I dislike many many others... Some for how they write others for how they end books but there alot I don't like and I don't think I can remember them all.

sayuri_nitta
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via MSN to sayuri_nitta

Old 06-18-2007, 10:10 AM

I dont know if I could narrow anything down to one author, I mean I've read books that have made me go 'urgh' but have never really had the 'hate' for an author XD
(although I dont get how Tolkien managed to make the Hobbit such an absorbing book, and the Silmarillion downright boring - I could not get through that book XD)

DreamEmpress
*^_^*

Old 06-20-2007, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayuri_nitta
I dont know if I could narrow anything down to one author, I mean I've read books that have made me go 'urgh' but have never really had the 'hate' for an author XD
(although I dont get how Tolkien managed to make the Hobbit such an absorbing book, and the Silmarillion downright boring - I could not get through that book XD)
The Silmarillion was mainly taken from unpublished work and much was unfinished. That is why it is hard to really read cause his son did most of the editing.

I love Tolkien's work anyway. He revolutionized fantasy for a new decade.

Indy Lyon
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-12-2007, 07:57 PM

JRR Tolkein
Phillip Pullman

I don't like them simply because you heard all the buzz about the books then the film and you read the books and just so disappointing, i thought they were going to be good and instead were complete and utterly boring i staggered through both trilogies and others just to try and find what everyone else was mooing over and couldn't find it. Tolkein partly redeemed himself in the Hobbit but that was still Lukewarm though better the The Lord of the Rings ever was :evil:

Excuse the rant but force and frustration of feelings are erupting to the surface :shock:

Raven Koudelka
Send a message via AIM to Raven Koudelka Send a message via MSN to Raven Koudelka Send a message via Yahoo to Raven Koudelka

Old 10-12-2007, 08:02 PM

Christopher Paolini - cliche, unoriginal, boring.
J.K. Rowling - see above.

SerenityLives
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-12-2007, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Koudelka
Christopher Paolini - cliche, unoriginal, boring.

I agree with that statement ._.
He lost me before I'd even finished reading the first page DDD:

Emrysa
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via AIM to Emrysa

Old 10-12-2007, 11:24 PM

I'm going to say Anne Rice and L.K. Hamilton are close ties.

L.K. Hamilton for butchering a really awesome series.
Her Anita Blake novels started off really great and then wam no plot.

Anne Rice because she's such a crazy *****, she too started out great and then developed an ego the size of an 18-wheeler. I haven't been able to bring myself to buy her stuff since she stopped using an editor and went on her crazy little tirade on Amazon.

Nightgaunt
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Nightgaunt Send a message via MSN to Nightgaunt

Old 10-12-2007, 11:29 PM

Anne Rice definitely: I only liked "The Vampire Lestat", and that was because it felt like she was actually trying. Everything else might as well be on the erotica or 'pointless' shelves. I despise most of her characters, and the entire rest of the "Vampire" Series so much I don't think I could even stomach her other works.

Purple puma
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 10-13-2007, 12:58 AM

I would have to say J.K Rowling. Mostly because she wrote Harry potter. Which is the book I hate so much. I hate the books and movies so much.

Kiralisha
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-13-2007, 09:11 AM

Terry Brooks. Why he was never sued for attempting to copy Lord of the Rings, I will never know, but both his plotting and writing are terrible. And the guy is prolific. Why is it that bad writers always seem to write a lot?
Like Robert Jordan. He never did finish that incredible long and painful series... Ug.
And Paolini. Because he copied Terry Brooks who copied Tolkien... The horror.
And Arthur Miller. His plays are the most boring thing ever.
And Stephen King, because there comes a point when his stuff just isn't interesting anymore. It gets lame quickly.
And Tanith Lee. How can they continue to publish her horrible mary-sues? Who reads that stuff? Who likes it?
Whoever it was who wrote "Bloody Jack" and the following series. Flat characters, dumb plot, everyone in love with the main character for no good reason. I want to burn every copy that ever existed.

I could go on, but I think it's time to stop now :wink: . At least there are plenty of good authors out there to make up for the bad ones.

Yue-Yue
(-.-)zzZ
Banned
Send a message via MSN to Yue-Yue

Old 10-13-2007, 05:41 PM

I really hate well I don"t know who I hate who do u hate?

Emrysa
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 10-14-2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiralisha
Like Robert Jordan. He never did finish that incredible long and painful series... Ug.
Got to agree with you on that one.
Seriously, wtf was he thinking.

Actually *edit* it appears that he died.
But still... that was a long ass series that just kind of tapered off. Maybe they'll get someone else to finish it.

Nightgaunt
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Nightgaunt Send a message via MSN to Nightgaunt

Old 10-14-2007, 09:59 AM

Oh man, why didn't he pop into my head? My ex was -obsessed- with that series. I couldn't read it at all. It was like everything you'd read just fell back out of your brain the second you looked away from the page.It just wasn't interesting enough to retain. Otherwise I remember what I read very well.
A similar author I just remembered is Janny Wurts. Her cover paintings, which I think she does herself are quite interesting, but her story line seems to entirely revolve around the idea of 'good twin/bad twin' which is defined apparently by hair color. Ooh. Black baaaad. Or...something inane like that. She also I remember from my attempts to get into the series, spends an inordinate amount of time describing not what people are doing, not what they're thinking, not even what they themselves look like.... but what they're wearing.
It's like the chapter in Moby Dick on describing the color of the whale. Only somehow ten thousand times dryer and less relevant to anything. If a messenger comes in with some drastically important news, I don't want an forty page discourse on weather the fabric of his pants goes with the fabric on his shirt collar and handkerchief. Or where the embroidery on his handkerchief came from, or what happy little gnomes made his shoes. [/rant].

Kendergal
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-14-2007, 03:46 PM

Stephen King.

Enough said.
He is just mentally deranged, there is nothing good about his work.
It is perverse. And not just sexually.
Any guy who fantasizes about killing his own dog and other people, shouldn't get rich, they should be put in jail. There is nothing worth reading about in his books... but he has managed to get into our classrooms.
That is so gross I can't even say.
-Rants for a good few minutes.-

I'm sorry but any guy who writes about a girl who is lost in the forest, and has the father thinking about how the mother isn't wearing anything under the nightgown... that's messed.
>>
If my kid were to go missing, and my ex were holding me.
If I even thought he was thinking about anything but our daughter, I'd stab him.
Repetitively.
I feel bad for his kids. o.o

Kendergal
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-14-2007, 03:51 PM

JRR Tolkein is an interesting one.

I found his books too detailed, but I loved the stories.
I tried reading his other novels, and I was unable to because of the fact that there was so much being said and so little being done. You spend hours learning about things and having no clue what they relate to.
I gave up.
I admit it, I gave up.

Granted, these books weren't published by him, they were edited by his son, after finding notes by the great author. But still.

Don't read his other books unless you are really good at separating things in your mind, cause otherwise you are doomed.

Emrysa
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 10-14-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendergal
Stephen King.

Enough said.
He is just mentally deranged, there is nothing good about his work.
It is perverse. And not just sexually.
Any guy who fantasizes about killing his own dog and other people, shouldn't get rich, they should be put in jail. There is nothing worth reading about in his books... but he has managed to get into our classrooms.
That is so gross I can't even say.
-Rants for a good few minutes.-

I'm sorry but any guy who writes about a girl who is lost in the forest, and has the father thinking about how the mother isn't wearing anything under the nightgown... that's messed.
>>
If my kid were to go missing, and my ex were holding me.
If I even thought he was thinking about anything but our daughter, I'd stab him.
Repetitively.
I feel bad for his kids. o.o
Eep, going blind squinting at your text. XD
I'm slightly with you on Stephen King.
He's got some really awesome stuff. You've got to be at least somewhat awesome to sell as much as he has but I kind of have to agree with the skit on family guy where he goes into to talk with his publisher and he's like... "Hey what do you have for me?"
King kind of looks around and then grabs the desk lamp like "I know, I know, it's a lamp monster.! Rrrr Gurr Growl. And it's EEEEVIL!" And the publisher just sighs and asks when he can have it. :wink:

Nahalethe
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-14-2007, 05:58 PM

I don't exactly hate him, but I sincerely don't like Christopher Paolini. His books are rubbish and cling to the stereotypical, predictable route of fantasy like stink on a dead squirrel.