mangacatgirl
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-04-2007, 04:12 AM

My problem isn't usually being unable to find old books... But instead, being able to remember the titles of old books so I can look for them ^.^; There are so many books I used to own that I would love to find again. Especially books from my youth I'd like to pass on to my son, because I think he might enjoy the stories... But I can't for the life of me remember the titles... which makes it hard to look for. I'll end up remembering little tid bits of plot line at best... never names or places... So even web searches end up in total failure.

So that would be my problem ^.^;

Kiralisha
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-04-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisty

The other thing- a book series(I think it was a series), about lifesize cloth dolls that were ALIVE GAHH.

The thought of it creeps me out now, I have a "phobia" of dolls and all things related to dolls (mannequins, even portraits/pictures). But the series wasn't horror- it was... sort of wistful, I think.

It was a family of live-size cloth dolls. Their creator was dead. I can't remember if he knew his dolls were supposed to become alive, or if they all became alive after he died. There were many of them, girls and boys and grown-ups, so yeah, they were basically a "family". They acted like real people. They talked and etc and when they wanted to go outside (especially the "younger" ones), they'd put on many layers as well as sunglasses, and only go out at night. There was one member of the family who was made of a weird color cloth, like blue or something, so he could never go outside and it was sad.

I think the series had a sad tone, because they aren't human but act like they are. They have to stay hidden. And I think they might have been confused as to how they came to be- like what is their purpose, their Creator's purpose, etc. There was a bratty girl doll who had the personality of a teenager- she wanted to go out more, and she didn't like being cooped up and etc.

Ugh... I want to know if the books exist or not... I think they must because I could never come up with it at the age I was. I don't know if I'd read it again though, since I'm now afraid of dolls and such. ^^;;
OHMIGOSH. I remember those books, I've been trying to figure out what the titles were. Aw, gosh, memories... The one who was blue, and the bratty doll riding her motorcycle... *sniffle* I was always afraid of dolls as a kid, but those books were so nice and comforting and adorable.
I need to raid my elementary school library for them.

The book I can never find is The Last Unicorn. I read it as a kid, and was sorely tempted to steal it from the library and pay the fee, but I never did. Ever since, I've been attempting to hunt down a copy. Hopefully with the release of the new movie, they will have the book in print again. Although I would really love one of the original copies because the cover art was beautiful.

Wisty
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to Wisty

Old 10-04-2007, 11:39 PM

:SLDJF:LSKDJF THEN THEY'RE REAL!!!
8'DDDDDDDDDD

That's really cool you've read them before too. I really want to know the title now~~~ :< XD

mangacatgirl
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-04-2007, 11:57 PM

Kiralisha - Have you tried Amazon? I thought I saw a few different versions of the book on there before. It's worth a look, if nothing else.

Kiralisha
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-05-2007, 10:38 AM

I haven't, but that would be a good idea :D

Emrysa
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via AIM to Emrysa

Old 10-11-2007, 10:33 AM

A ton of the books I love are out of print.
I just haunt Half Price Books and hope I get lucky.
Eventually, I'll start ordering everything off of Amazon.com. Makes things easier on me.

Indy Lyon
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-11-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raine dragon
out of print right now are a few old sailor moon manga. ^^; I've always been the type to fall in love with a book and then go buy it. ^^;
me too i want the Saint Tail manga, but its so expensive :cry:, plus there are really good old books like the Grimm Brothers Fairy Tales, fantasy with a good dollop of horror, plus i LOVE old legend books but finding them anywhere is finding-a-needle-in-a-haystack hard
e.g. J.E.E Gray- Indian Tales and Legends
Charles Downing- Russian Tales and Legends
L.S.Hyde- Favourite Greek Myths (i love this one cause it has the story of Eros and Psyche in it!!)
What about you?