Lady Taurus
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to Lady Taurus Send a message via MSN to Lady Taurus Send a message via Yahoo to Lady Taurus

Old 07-30-2007, 12:33 AM

I love the smell of new books and old books but if it smells horrible then I wouldn't buy it.

Bellazure
Dead Account Holder

Old 07-30-2007, 04:06 AM

I love the smell of new books, but I hate buying paperbacks, because they never close properly after you open them the first time

eternal_black_kiss
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-30-2007, 11:07 PM

Yes I do. Especially when I buy used textbooks. I get them half price but they have to be pretty clean and not scratched. I can get guite picky too when it comes to that because otherwise I wouldn't feel like studying it or reading it. And if it looks disgusting you can't help but wonder what kind of a old geezer was using it before us lol. Did he wipe his nose on the pages because he was too lazy to get a kleenex? Sorry, I have quite a vivid imagination. I usually buy my reading books new though. Or else I just borrow them from the library. Like the classics, we should buy them but everyday silly books that I read for my own guilty pleasure, I find there's no point in buying them. For example, I used to read the Princess Diaries books. I don't think I would necessarily have to pass them on to my children.

Idiosyncratic
Dead Account Holder

Old 07-31-2007, 07:09 PM

I love the smell of books. In fact, chances are if it smells then i'm more likley to buy it. Then i'll take it home to sniff it. xD
I really love the smell of olish books, and new ones to. It's when they get crusty, the pages start to turn green and have dust ingrained in them that puts me off.
As for covers, i like to be able to see what, if anything, is ment to be there, but i dont mind the general condition and apperance of it.

Sun
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via MSN to Sun

Old 08-07-2007, 09:34 AM

I love smelling books. I find that if i can't make my mind up about one, i'l give it a whiff and if it's smell it to my liking i'll buy it.

Eimi
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via Yahoo to Eimi

Old 08-07-2007, 07:47 PM

well i love the smell of a new book..its great..but i do tend to judge a book before buying it...i do look at the covers but that doesnt really influence me but the back summary does...if it doesnt sound interesting by the back i tend not to buy it

Lovelie_Rose
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via AIM to Lovelie_Rose Send a message via MSN to Lovelie_Rose Send a message via Yahoo to Lovelie_Rose

Old 08-08-2007, 01:52 PM

I love old, hardcover books. i dont know why, but i really do. but i'll pretty much get any book if it sounds interesting to me. but i like hardcovers best, so i might end up buying a hardcover book insted.
-shrugs-

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 08-08-2007, 06:34 PM

I judge a book by its title. If my eyes spot a book that I've been looking for, I snatch it and I go. I even pick up old books that people have thrown out. I dont' care what condition its in, as long as its readable and isn't missing pages.

Kitmew
Pirate

Old 08-12-2007, 04:53 PM

x I judge a book by its title and genre. (Mostly a Fantasy reader) If the lettering is beautiful, I have a tempting belief that the book is wonderful. I don't really care how it smells or whatever condition. (I find the smell of old books comforting. O.o Weirdly) I love any book if it is what I was looking for, m judging is really picky though, so most of the time, its hard to find what I was looking for. ._.

Suika
Dead Account Holder

Old 08-13-2007, 02:56 AM

I'm a total bargian-hunter, so I adore used books, but I've never really cared about the condition. I've bought a book who's cover was ton, ripped, worn, bent, and crazily damaged, and not batted an eyelash. :3

Oooh, but on the smell of books... xD I can't help it, I have to say it, I am addicted to teh smell of old books. You know, when you open an old, book, usually when the pages are aged yellow, and worn from the years of reading, and all of a sudden there's that smell, musky and dusty, and just old-book-y? x3 I love that... That's why I sniff books. New books, too, actually, have a wonderful smell...

angel_of_joy
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-14-2007, 04:28 AM

i can't say i am like that when buying books. i admit if they smell bad even the price will not entice me to buy the book but other wise if its a book i want and the price is right and the cover has a rip or something i will get it. my problem is letting books go, even if i don't like them, i have stacks and stacks of books that i should bring somewhere and give them up but i just can't bring myself to do so. call my a pack rat but you never know if you will read them again. i am the kind of person that will go back and read a book over. i mean at least once a year i read pride and prejudice because i just get in that kind of a mood. my copy is nearly warn out and i will probably have to buy a new one someday but i will still never get rid of the one i have now.

Imaurel
Dead Account Holder

Old 08-14-2007, 04:09 PM

Hell I own half-price books by this point XD Most the time when I buy a book I get it from there. The smell can be fixed with spray and the rips with tape. and then I sell them back xD

life in red and black
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via AIM to life in red and black Send a message via Yahoo to life in red and black

Old 08-15-2007, 10:59 PM

I like the new smell and feel of opening the book for its first time.

But, I love used books because I don't have to watch the bending of the pages or spine... something I'm prone to do with a new book.

Runihura
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via Yahoo to Runihura

Old 08-16-2007, 11:51 AM

I absolutely break them xD

Sirocco
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 08-16-2007, 04:24 PM

I'm crazy about esthetic of books, so I think Iwouldn't buy book like that... Okay, maybe I would - but only if it will be book that I couldn't buy in better state... I mean, this book isn't popular and you just can't buy it in a shop, normal or online. Only way you could get it is buy it from someone else so it probably can't be like a new one.

And I love new books, this smell of novelty and ink <3 It makes me want to read this book.

Sometimes I judge books by its covers. Like that I found The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray, which I really like ^^ But generally I judge books by title and this little note on the backcover, so I'm pretty irritated when there aren't anything about plot of book, only notes from reviews - and those reviews, of course, always are good, so you don't know anything about book.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 09-08-2007, 05:07 AM

Oh, I love the smell of new books. Lately, I've been getting picky about conditions and editions of books that I get, but it depends on the books. If the book is really popular, like Lord of the Rings, then I'm picky about editions because there are so many to choose from. And I really like quality paperback editions of thing. If I'm getting books in a set, I like to get all the same edition, so that they look nice on my shelf.

I've also lately been picky about the text formatting of books. Some books, especially cheep sci-fi/fantasies, tend to have really tight spacing, while other books just have terrible layout, or a bad font. I got a copy Unspeak recently, and when I started reading it, noticed that the font doesn't have true quotation marks, only foot marks, which drives me nuts. The book is interesting enough to keep me reading, but I almost feel like writing to the publisher and telling them that the font sucks. (My family and I are all font nerds though, so maybe I'm the only one who cares.)

All of that picky-ness aside, I love used books too. I love the musty smell, and the strange little used book stores, and the history that exudes from them. I love old hardback from the days before ISBN numbers, with woodcut illustrations and inset photos. I love the possibility of finding first editions. If there is more than one copy of a book available, I'll choose the one in best condition, but if I really want to read it, I'll get it regardless, unless it's falling apart.

Burnt_Lemonade
Dead Account Holder

Old 09-24-2007, 11:32 PM

Yes, yes, new books do INDEED smell good .. mmm ..

Half-priced books I aim for as well. I say why buy the book new when you end up most likely reading it only once, then putting it on your it on your shelf to function as a dust collector? Then again .. why go to the trouble of buying the book when you have the public service of your friendly [or not so friendly] public library??

One thing that bugs me [not that it's the WORST thing to happen to this world] is the funky smell a book's pages have after it has been in the care of someone who smokes. Such a musty gas embedded into the fiber of every page .. It's strange .. why do cigarettes eventually turn paper yellow?? What chemical does it and why did it choose yellow? Yellow .. that reminds me of a rubber duckie. Are they not the cutest, yet creepiest, things you have ever seen?? I mean they just sit there in the bathtub with this look of utter amusement. Do we -really- know what they are thinking??

Wow, look at me blab! What was I talking about now??

mrwhiskers
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-25-2007, 09:35 PM

uhh...ew?

heartpoint
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 09-26-2007, 11:36 PM

i love the smell of new books and some of my old books

goldfish67
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 09-29-2007, 11:11 AM

yeah i think i kinda do like smell of books that havent been open in a while :)

Fabby
KHAAAAAAAAN~

Old 09-30-2007, 03:36 AM

I don't care if the book is a bit tattered, so long as it's still in readable condition. Highlighter all over the pages; that makes me angry though. XD I cannot stand it when people draw on the pages, even if it's just in the margins or something.

ToriKat
(ó㉨ò)

Old 10-08-2007, 06:55 PM

• @Lovvy: Oh my gosh...I hate highlighting too. 8D

One thing I cannot understand...is dogearring. WHY must people do it?! Are bookmarks seriously that hard to find?? *laughs*

Gwinivere
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to Gwinivere

Old 10-08-2007, 07:32 PM

I can understand the hardcover and softcover thing. I'm dying because I know that when I borrow the second book to a series I know it'll be hardcover. :cry: I read the first book and it was a softcover and it only feels right as a softcover.

ww2b
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-11-2007, 02:00 AM

There's something about used books that bring out the teenage girl in me (which is funny, you know, because I am a teenage girl). It's a very romantic idea, actually, a time-worn tome from eras gone...

Sorry, I tend to go off on a tangent quite often :roll:

I am fascinated with that "old book smell"--not, mind you, smelling of mold or anything, but it's great that it once belonged distinctly to someone else.

Admonish Misconstruction
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-11-2007, 02:10 AM

I've picked books by their title yes XD. Some being stupid, and some being excellent books that luckily where a series.

But I don't mind what they look like, if its a little torn I'm find, and I make sure there is no strange smell coming from the book.

Half Price is awesome to shop at by the way, love the place.