green_freak07
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via Yahoo to green_freak07

Old 09-29-2007, 09:11 AM

i actually love fiction stories, those with magical stuffs and adventures. i also love the idea of the witches, wizards, potions and other stuffs. but i just dislike "harry potter". i haven't read any harry potter books, or watched any harry potter movies.. it is because i really hate the idea of it.. yeah, harry potter here, harry potter there!! people are obsessed with harry potter (especially my classmate with an obsessive compulsive like attitude)!!! what the hell is with harry potter!? sh*t i hate it so much!!!

anyone hating a specific novel too?

goldfish67
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 09-29-2007, 10:44 AM

i think the whole idea of hating something is stupid really..whats the point..im not an obsessed harry potter fan..i just like it but maybe you should read it..there's this person who said they hated cooking but one day they tried and they enjoyed it..so dont critize something until you try it ok? nothing worse than ignorance and hate :D

Dearest
Master of Cupcakes

Old 09-29-2007, 11:48 AM

Hate is a really strong word... I can't really say I hate anything at all, and especially something I have as little knowledge of as a book I haven't read... That's just silly, hating something you don't really know anything about..

Besides, you haven't said why you hate it. Is it just because it's so popular, and some people get seriously worked up about it? I have a friend who is like that, and I can't half share her enthusiasm. It bugs me to see her act so childlike, when she's actually 20 years old... Sometimes I just want to shout at her for behaving like that, and get her to realise that it's just books! But I don't... I can't decide how she should react, nor is it right of me to look down upon her for reacting the way she does. It's not right.

I like the Harry Potter books a lot.. They're deep, take up some serious themes, and at the same time tremendously entertaining and well-written... They look (and sorta sound) lame at first, but you have to give them a try before judging them so harshly... If not for anything else, read/see them to have something to base your "hatred" upon...

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 09-29-2007, 01:04 PM

I agree with the above two posts. While I'm not an obsessed fan and I admit when I first heard the book titles I thought they seemed lame, but after reading them, I found them to be, for the more part, entertaining and a lot more mature than I expected.

Wordstreamer
Nifty Fairy of the North
Penpal
Send a message via Yahoo to Wordstreamer

Old 09-29-2007, 01:59 PM

Same here (Ling). I didn't want to read them, if only because I've never been fond of what other people decide is "good". If they all liked Harry Potter... Sure, they MIGHT be right, but they're probably not. My mother got me the first book and I decided that I liked it; checked out the other two (there were only three out at the time). I've got all of them, but I didn't get obsessive with it. My mother ordered the books ahead of time (it was cheaper), I got them whenever they came in..... That was it. *shrugs* You might want to try reading them, but I can see how the hype's boring.

Gwendolyr
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 09-29-2007, 03:51 PM

Well, I guess I can see why going "omg Harry is so cool" just because everyone else does is silly, but isn't 'hating' something just because everyone else likes it just as silly? =)

I remember being recommended the series before it 'got big' by my friend, and afterwards, she was always like, "I always like it and knew it was good."

mangacatgirl
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-29-2007, 04:14 PM

I dislike Harry Potter as well, however you lost me when you admitted you never read the books or watched any of the movies... Basically that means you dislike it simply because it's mainstream.

On a side note, the creator of Harry Potter didn't want all that publicity... the movies and the costumes and the action figures and what not. She was against it. She wanted it to be 'just' a book series.

As for myself... I don't care what's 'in' and what's not... I don't care for Harry Potter because I've read some, watched a few movies... I love fantasy stuff... but I can't accept the stories as... entertaining to me. My husband loves Harry Potter though (Even though he's only watched the movies). And my son owns a Harry Potter costume. I have no problem with any of that... I'm not going to try to change their minds simply because I don't like it ^.^;

Medley
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-29-2007, 05:23 PM

Try reading it before you decide to hate it. ;) I know that it can get annoying when people obsess over it like that, but the books aren't half bad.

secretdae007
The Colors of a Dae

Old 09-29-2007, 05:48 PM

... You know what I don't like... People saying they hate stuff because it is popular... Especially things like Harry Potter when they haven't read the books... Please at least TRY to read the books before saying you hate them. I enjoy Harry Potter but that doesn't mean I don't realize that there are people who don't like Harry Potter.
It's like when I say "I really don't like LotR." I've tried reading the series and just wasn't into it. But if I tell certain people that, they shout that I am blasphemous and horrible. Well, at least, I tried reading them.

Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 09-29-2007, 06:48 PM

I'm afraid I agree with the above posts. I know people who "hate" things because they're mainstream and popular and I confess, I've never understood this attitude. Why are popular things looked down upon? Just because they appeal to a lot of people and others want to appear to be more unique than the mainstream? If they've tried it out and hate it, it's understandable. At least they looked into it. If they've never tried it, though, and hate it...well, how do they know?

It's like until I was in college, I swore I hated Chinese food. The only problem is, I had never eaten it. Was forced into a situation where I had to, and now Asian cuisine as a whole is pretty much my very favorite. I never tire of it. Asparagus is a different story. I swore I hated it my whole life, was forced to eat it for the first time last year, and found that I was indeed right. But I would never have known without actually putting it in my mouth.

So maybe that's a bad comparison, but you know what I'm saying...maybe actually check something out before deciding it's awesome or terrible. Experiencing something is the only way to make an informed decision.

I admit, sometimes I turn my nose up to things that I see people around me going nuts over just because...well, they're going nuts! But I still usually look into it myself to see what all the hype's about. Sometimes I end up enjoying it (like Harry Potter), other times, not so much (like Pirates of the Caribbean).

Manga - that's really interesting about JK Rowling not wanting all the rest of the stuff. I wonder why she agreed to the movie deal then? I guess financially, it was a good move for her. But if it went against her principles, I wonder why she did it?

Kitanya
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-29-2007, 07:26 PM

I believe that what you hate is the Harry Potter fandom.

Because you can't say you don't like something if you haven't tried it ;3

Fabby
KHAAAAAAAAN~

Old 09-30-2007, 02:53 AM

Your argument would have a lot more to it if you'd actually pick up a book and read it.. ><

Honestly; I enjoyed the books. Not so much the movies, I think the whole fanbase shit is terrible, but they are good books.
They're very well written. The first one especially is very childish, but as they move on they get more and more mature and the themes get darker and more complex.

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-30-2007, 03:55 AM

It's very rare for me to actually hate a book. There are a few that I would throw into the very depths of hell if I ever had a chance, but that's because they are honestly craptastic, condescending, presumptuous, and overly egotistical. I refuse to hate something just because of the reputation it has gained with the public. Until I read through it and form my own opinion, I'm apathetic.

No one is forcing you to read Harry Potter, but at least let the fandom move by peacefully. Some people have found true magic in the story. Let them be happy with it. After all, it's wonderful to see a novel breach so many age and cultural barriers.

MessyArtist
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 09-30-2007, 05:06 AM

Sometimes it is ofensive to say you HATE a book when someone loves it, you should keep the facts to yourself and not be rude, hey, JK Rowling spent loads of years making these awesome books, for YOU! Be grateful

Seiki Nova
Wishing on Shooting Stars

Old 09-30-2007, 05:14 AM

I don't think you hate Harry Potter. I think you hate the craze, which makes you not want to bother reading the books or watching the movies.

Because really, if you like those concepts, its really hard to hate the Harry Potter series if you've never bothered to read them or watch the movies. You can't knock it before you've tried it : D

MessyArtist
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 09-30-2007, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiki Nova
I don't think you hate Harry Potter. I think you hate the craze, which makes you not want to bother reading the books or watching the movies.

Because really, if you like those concepts, its really hard to hate the Harry Potter series if you've never bothered to read them or watch the movies. You can't knock it before you've tried it : D
Exactly, you have to try and at least read a chapter of the book and see how you like it, I'm not expecting you to, But I want you to.

heartpoint
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 10-01-2007, 08:52 PM

i thought the first couple were ok but was never crazy over the series and didn't like the last couple of them at all

MessyArtist
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 10-01-2007, 09:07 PM

Either way some people lyke them some people don't, deal with it.

Morien
*^_^*

Old 10-02-2007, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Emeraude
Either way some people lyke them some people don't, deal with it.
I think what most people are commenting on is not whether or not she liked it, but the fact that she said she said she doesn't like Harry Potter and has never read the book. It's fine if someone doesn't like a book or series, but it doesn't really count if that person doesn't know what he or she is talking about.

Lithle
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-02-2007, 02:49 AM

Well, while I think it's silly to claim to hate books one has never read, it's also silly to claim that one should be 'grateful' to J.K. Rowling for a book that they've never read. Rowling has her millions, she doesn't also have an automatic right to the 'gratitude' of the entire world.

Personally, I'm not a fan of HP. And yes, I've read some of the books. Four of them in fact. I found the characters fairly two dimensional, I found the plots common and redundant. I found the pacing horrid.

I thought the idea was awesome, but I expect more than an idea out of a good book. There are plenty of magical school books out there that don't require me to show the sort of interest in irrelevant detail that HP needs.

As to the craze, it bugs me. Particularly as older, well established authors are accused of copying HP with books they wrote years before he hit the scene. That irritates me. That, and I work at a book store. HP night was pretty horrid. That said, it's cool that they're so well loved.

As long as I'm not expected to be 'grateful' for them.

`Milika
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via MSN to `Milika

Old 10-02-2007, 06:45 AM

I agree with the people who has posted.

I thought I would hate it. I decided to not watch any of the movies and read any of the books, till my friend forced me to watch the first movie and read the first book.

I absolutely love it now.

I don't care if things are mainstream. If I love it.
I'm not going to stop loving it cause it's to popular.

teddycrazy

Old 10-03-2007, 11:05 AM

I never read them before, but they sound interesting.
I only watched part of the first movie, but I heard book seven is really good. Is it true? If you haven't even touched a Harry Potter book or movie, then maybe you should try. Who knows? Maybe you'll even become one of those "Harry Potter here, Harry Potter there" type of fans. :D

Miyako
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-04-2007, 01:27 AM

I actually like Harry Potter books as they are one of my favourite series.. I know a lot of people love Harry Potter books (including a lot of my friends) but they aren't too crazy about it.. like well you know.. I guess.....

MessyArtist
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 10-06-2007, 02:32 AM

Well its your problem if you hate the book. I nomatter what LOVE it and sorry to be mean but JK Rowling is a genius! Well you might not think so. Well not the Einstein, but shes really good at making books, and if you dare abuse those books! You will have to face the consequences, I'm not asking you to worship her. Just think what life would be without books and movies? If one didn't create a book. What would it be without books? You'd be down right dumb for sure, but thats not the kind of book I'm talking about; I'm talking about fantasy and creative hilarious books, that we don't have to learn from, just read and read and read until, well you finish, and in the end you will have to re-ead the whole series because you love the books so much, and when the LAST BOOK is out ur soo sad. Thats the feeling I get.

Kiralisha
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-06-2007, 11:31 AM

I don't hate Harry Potter, but I do think it is overrated. After the first four books the series got pretty lame. While I give her credit for getting so many kids into reading, there are tons of books out there that are so much better and yet far less popular. Popular does not equal good book.

I can safely say that I hate Eragon with a passion, but not Harry Potter. It's still reasonable stuff, despite the fifth book (which was rubbish).