Fin
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-12-2007, 09:38 PM

Why is it that Stephanie Meyer fans and J.K. Rowling fans seem to have this constant need to pit themselves against each other? The Harry Potter series and the Twilight series have so little in common I don't see the need to try to categorize them both together.

Harry Potter: Written in 3rd person, focuses more on friendship rather than romance, (though romance does come along later in the series), has the overall goal of defeating Lord Voldemort.

Twilight: Written in 1st person, has a strong emphasis on romance, the overall series is about Bella and Edward's relationship, no set enemies really though random vampires seem to find themselves getting involved.

And yes, I may be biased because I like Harry Potter and Rowling more and have a strong dislike for the other but I don't understand all these threads I'm seeing that like to compare the two. I understand these are both popular series but one deals with magic and the other deals with a vampire romance. It's not the same.

I apologize if this thread is 'inappropriate' or something and it will probably be locked for some reason or the other but I want to know why.

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-13-2007, 02:21 AM

With all of the fantasy novels that have been published in that past few years, of course fans are going to compare them. It just can't be helped. They'll pick out the smallest similarities and jump down the throat of authors they don't like.

I've never read Twilight so I really can't talk, but it strikes me as more of a teenage-girl fluff read, whereas Harry Potter is more of a children's epic. Even the concepts seem completely different.

People would compare the books even if they were in completely different genres. Once your writing gets famous enough, everyone looks at it with some kind of expectation. It's like they have to duke it out for the top.

Purple puma
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 10-13-2007, 03:22 AM

Maybe Because both books are very popular among many teenagers, and they both a long read. They both keep people busy reading. I personally don't like Harry Potter. I've Never raid any books by Stephanie(They are mainly for girls).

mesuchan
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to mesuchan Send a message via MSN to mesuchan Send a message via Yahoo to mesuchan

Old 10-13-2007, 03:29 AM

Personally, I am a fan of both. They both have stories that caught my attention and characters that have amazingly unique qualities and quirks that satisfies my imagination. I think it is just another one of those phenomena that one group of fans just want to think of themselves better. It is always apparent in various degrees across fandom. It is a childish act that people will continue to commit until the end of eternity.

Jynk
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Jynk

Old 10-13-2007, 03:49 AM

People will always pick sides on a debate. I don't see the comparison on these two, either. Perhaps it's more a tiff between fans on pop. culture (goth vs potter) than the actual books.

Emrysa
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via AIM to Emrysa

Old 10-13-2007, 05:23 AM

I've honestly never read Twilight.
I'll have to look into it.
I've never even noticed these fandoms fighting.
It always seemed to me you had LOTR v.s. HP
because the movies came out around the same time so you had the whole intellectual v.s. ya for adults under current. I was surprised there wern't more fans arguing Narnia v.s. HP with the whole HP "witchcraft" thing and Narnia's religious bent. I think people read too much into things. Why bother fighting over books. I just enjoy reading them.:D

Fin
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-13-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaina Solo
I've honestly never read Twilight.
I'll have to look into it.
I've never even noticed these fandoms fighting.
It always seemed to me you had LOTR v.s. HP
because the movies came out around the same time so you had the whole intellectual v.s. ya for adults under current. I was surprised there wern't more fans arguing Narnia v.s. HP with the whole HP "witchcraft" thing and Narnia's religious bent. I think people read too much into things. Why bother fighting over books. I just enjoy reading them.:D

That's what I'm saying. As for Lord of the Rings vs. Harry Potter..... they aren't even for the same age group O_o. Oh well, I just think there are different ways to show your fandom rather than bashing the other. Popularity brings out the worse in people, I suppose. Even if those people are the fans. :/