(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-13-2007, 04:57 AM

Classics, and yes poetry is important.

I love writing and reading poetry.

Its just so elegant.

Solitare
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-13-2007, 04:58 AM

Annabelle Lee is one of my most favourite poems! Poe was an awesome author! His "Telltale Heart" and "The Raven" are also two of my favourites. You also quoted Robert Frost whom I also like. His poem about fences making good neighbors is very true where I live. I live in a farming community and fences solve a lot of problems.

sexyspike5
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to sexyspike5 Send a message via Yahoo to sexyspike5

Old 10-13-2007, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitare
Annabelle Lee is one of my most favourite poems! Poe was an awesome author!

I love Annabelle Lee. Such a beautiful poem. I agree that Poe is awesome. I read his work for the first time int he 7th grade, and it was so inspiring. That's when I got into poetry, and started writing my own.

Emrysa
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via AIM to Emrysa

Old 10-13-2007, 05:19 AM

I enjoy writing bad poetry.
In all seriousness I don't think poetry gets the credit it deserves anymore. Most students think it's mushy crap and don't want to be associated with it. We couldn't get anyone to join our poetry club when I was in high school. It also seems like the only time it was emphasized in HS was my American Literature class and clearly Americans are not the only (or best) poets.
Not that I have anything against American poetry... but we had such a standardized curriculum.

pwny_of_doom
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-13-2007, 05:35 AM

The reason poetry doesn't get credit anymore is because it is dominated by emotional bullcrap. No one writes practical poetry that offers any sort of insight or psychology, like it did in the good ole' days.

Now poetry is just people saying, "Nature's Pretty" or "Stuff can be scary" or "I like boy/girl" in an overly complicated way.

Also.. Annabell Lee is crap. Most of Poe's work is hit and miss, his poetry being mostly miss. The Cask of Amontillado and The Pit and the Pendellum were cool, though. Howard Phillip Lovecraft writes much better macabre stories that Poe.

Kiralisha
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-13-2007, 09:03 AM

I confess, I have a thing for Poe. I like his stories better than his poems however. I really like Robert Burns too... It's so interesting to read his english, because it is very different from what we use today.

@pwny_of_doom: Whether a poet or poem is good or crap is really dependant on the reader. Personally I like Annabell Lee, if you don't that is fine, but don't be rude. Although I have to admit that I adore Lovecraft.

Nissa
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-13-2007, 01:24 PM

I adore poetery. Haiku is one of my favorite forms, there is something elegant about it's simplistic nature. I actually have some poems published, it's kind of exciting to know that they are out there being read and maybe being loved by people. (They're not my books, I just won a spot in them.)

Smiley160
⊙ω⊙
Banned

Old 10-13-2007, 10:42 PM

I Love poetry i write it i need a favor tell me how this poem sounds please
Friends

Friends Are There For You,Even If you have the Flu.
Or When Your Sad And Cant Go On.
But With That Special Bond Between Us,
Nothing Can Break Us Apart.
Because We Have Such Big Forgiving Hearts.
Were Like Sisters We Fight and Laugh,
Were There For Eachother No Matter What.
Even If We Act Like Nuts.
Nothing Will Every Break The Bond Between Us,
Even If We Are Depressed.
Were There For One Another.
We Come From Diffrent Mothers.
But Were Like Sisters And No One Will Break That.
So What I Say To That....
Bring On Anything We Will Never Stop Being Friends.
Ever!

ljosberinn
This is an obnoxious and offensi...

Old 10-14-2007, 12:34 AM

• Smiley, there's actually a special forum for posting your poetry where you're likely to get better feedback to your own poems. And this should probably be aimed at the lot of you, since it is for poetry in general.
    Here! :]

Syrinx330
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-14-2007, 02:15 AM

I have always loved Robert Frost poems. I love them because they are literally about nature, but metaphorically about life. He is an amazing poet!

Like a lot of people have mentioned, Edgar Alan Poe is another one of my favorites. I like dark things, and no matter what he has written, I have loved it. Actually, I think I read one called The Sphinx a long time ago, I can't remember if it was a poem or a short story, but I really liked it a lot.

I find that one of the things I love about some poems is to find out their deeper meaning, and I'll do the same thing with lyrics as well to some of my favorite groups (until I get the response from some of my friends that the meaning is "money", though I still try anyways). After my freshmen year in high school (I am a junior now), I have had trouble writing poetry anymore because of a project we had to do with writing poetry in a specific format about the books "I, Robot" and "Martian Chronicles". I thought that was a horrible way to get us to write poetry, and I know my best poetry comes from the heart, not from some Science Fiction novel.

Oh yes, now I remember my other favorite poet, Emily Dickinson. "Much Madness is Divinest Sense" actually I first heart when I went to Area All State, the chorus conductor had composed a piece with that poem, and it was amazing.