Masaki
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Masaki

Old 10-14-2007, 01:00 PM

It's a great book. I love it alot. I probably wouldn't of read it if my friend, Feather, on gaia didn't tell me to. [Sadly, cause if she didn't I wouldn't have read a great book]

Talk about your favorite parts and anything about the book.

elishaxk
⊙ω⊙
Banned

Old 10-14-2007, 01:01 PM

i've never even heard of it really?
but i m Quiet intersted to know what it is like.hehe
Anyway hii

Masaki
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-14-2007, 01:08 PM

You should read it, it's by Richard Adams.
=3

CandyStripes
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-14-2007, 02:15 PM

My dad gave me it-- it made me cry. I loved it, but it was really sad..

Masaki
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-14-2007, 02:42 PM

It made me cry too. ._. But if your emotional for a book, that means it's good.

Solitare
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-14-2007, 06:51 PM

This is a book I have to re-read every few years! :D
I agree that it a sad story though but as you said, if a book makes you emotional, its a good book! :D

Aylar
*^_^*

Old 10-14-2007, 06:55 PM

I have not yet read the book, but everyone else in my family has, I hope to read it at one point, but I have not yet had the chance to.

`Malachite
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-14-2007, 07:06 PM

Ooh, good book. :3 I watched the TV series for a while when I was just tiny (7 to 10-ish, I think), and as terrible and out of character it was, it did inspire me to read the book later on. I got this nagging little "I should have forgotten this but I haven't" type memory a couple years ago, of this silly show about rabbits. xD

Sooo... I googled "animated show rabbits", got "Watership Down", did a little research and found out it was a book first. ^__^ Looked it up at my school library, and there it was. :3 Took me a little longer than it should have to read it, but I'd just started at a new school and all.. xP It's funny, when I think of my first while at that school, I remember reading WD and eating my lunch in the caf between classes. xD And trying to sweep the croissant crumbs out from between the pages. .__.;

But yeah.. Getting back on topic. ^^; It's a wonderful book, and a really detailed story. I love Adams' style, and the way that he manages to make a book about rabbits be so emotionally charged and even downright scary at times. I've heard that the movie from the seventies or so is really gruesome, though I've yet to find it anywhere I could rent it from. xP

I also love that he doesn't cutesy up or change the rabbits -- he lets them be rabbits, and portrays them as rabbits. ^^; As much as teh boundaries of storytelling allow, anyway. xD Obviously they have to 'talk' for the plot to progress.

Anyway... Last paragraph! I just have to say how utterly awesome Blackberry is and how much I love him. :3

Done.

Heysuesita
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-14-2007, 07:27 PM

I read the book a few years ago, and really don't remember all that much. There was a second book, more like a gathering of short stories that take place after the first had ended.

I read parts of Plague Dogs, by the same author, and really enjoyed the parts I did read.

Akai
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-16-2007, 11:34 PM

I have to say that you people are some of the first I've heard that praise the book. I, personally, loved the book, and will want to read it again soon...but before I read it, whenever I asked about it, people kept telling me that it was a stupid book; long, boring, and hard to follow. I guess the people I talk to don't know what good books are, because whenever they say a book is boring, I end up loving it. I love books that go into a lot of detail, like Watership Down does. And I only vaguely remember seeing the cartoon and remember having nightmares about it as a child....I really want to watch that again as well!

Jynk
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Jynk

Old 10-17-2007, 02:38 AM

The cartoon show gave me nightmares as a kid, but then I found the book when I was nine and read it. It was fantastic. I loved the flow of the story and how Adams really brought the characters alive. My favourite character is Bigwig.

I have to say I definately liked Watership Down a lot better than Plague Dogs, which is also good if you've never read it.

I don't really have favourite parts, but I loved all the rabbit lore stories. Also, anytime Bigwig and the seagull (who's name escapes me at the moment) had scenes together were great.

Kiralisha
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-17-2007, 10:36 PM

*Squeal* I love that book. Reading it is a childhood memory for me. It always makes me cry, but it a good, warm and fuzzy sort of way.

Masaki
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-19-2007, 10:46 AM

I never watched the show/movie, but I saw part of it on youtube. It seems weird.

Chaitealatte
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-19-2007, 03:31 PM

Didn't it win the Carnegie prize some years back? I vaguely recollect seeing its front cover on the history-tree thing this year. : O

Weeell, my mother read it to me when I was about seven, mostly when we were in Northern Ireland. I remember sitting in our friend's bath (with LOTS of bubbles and wet hair) and her sitting on the toilet seat and reading it to me. I think Hazel was just getting shot then. ;o; My father was usually the one to read to me, so this memory is really strong.

I really love rabbits. You have NO idea how much I love rabbits. x3 Most of my soft toys were rabbits, and my very first toy - thatIstillsleepwithImightadd - was a rabbit from mothercare. She has no stuffing now, is all faded and, like her longterm name, Floppy. <33333

After having Watership Down read to me (and I want to read it again - I love the song Bright Eyes but all the TV/Movie adaptions scare me senseless) I started up a warren with all my rabbits. I think I still have my Hazel and Pipkin, actually. xD

My Bigwig was bright purple.

Hmm. x3;;

I really ought to re-read it sometime, I loved it so much. What's great is occasionally coming across fanart...