Elmira Swift
Curator of Alluvium

Penpal

Old 10-14-2007, 05:41 PM

The Vatican is about to release reproductions of documents that relate to the Knights Templar. Some of it is supposed to be so detailed that the reproductions include smudges and stains found on the original documents.

Price tag for it is over $8k - I'll wait till it's available at the library.

Still, pretty remarkable that it's coming out!

Ankko
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-14-2007, 05:43 PM

Wow . . .

Salient Siren
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-14-2007, 05:44 PM

Dang, you must have an awesome library if they're willing to buy an $8k book... But it def. sounds like an interesting read. How would one get a hold of one of these books?

Emrysa
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via AIM to Emrysa

Old 10-14-2007, 05:45 PM

Oh, really? That sounds interesting. I'd be interested in reading what they're releasing too. But overall, because it's the church, I doubt they'll release anything of "real" interest. I.E. anything that may damage their P.R. I imagine most of what they release will be specifically chosen to display them as the penitent underdog. :D

Elmira Swift
Curator of Alluvium

Penpal

Old 10-14-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salient Siren
Dang, you must have an awesome library if they're willing to buy an $8k book... But it def. sounds like an interesting read. How would one get a hold of one of these books?
We have good universities in our system - it would HAVE to either come through a loan or I'd have to drive to the library. Our library has very good, but very outdated books.

Ankko
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-14-2007, 05:52 PM

800o$ is alot of money.
Thats like half the price of a car ._.

Elmira Swift
Curator of Alluvium

Penpal

Old 10-14-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaina Solo
Oh, really? That sounds interesting. I'd be interested in reading what they're releasing too. But overall, because it's the church, I doubt they'll release anything of "real" interest. I.E. anything that may damage their P.R. I imagine most of what they release will be specifically chosen to display them as the penitent underdog. :D
I have my suspicions as well. Seen enough historic revision to choke a horse. Still, I'm amazed that they are willing to release these at all. Wonder if the furor over the Da Vinci Code has anything to do with it.

Emrysa
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via AIM to Emrysa

Old 10-14-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmira Swift
I have my suspicions as well. Seen enough historic revision to choke a horse. Still, I'm amazed that they are willing to release these at all. Wonder if the furor over the Da Vinci Code has anything to do with it.
I imagine that to be the case. They must feel enough pressure from the stir-up caused by Da Vinci Code to justify the release of some sort of documents. I imagine they thought that Holy Blood, Holy Grail and Messianic Legacy were safely swept under the rug, but the Da Vinci Code has reawakened interest the subject in a time period that's been pretty difficult for the church already. Especially with the loss of Pope John Paul II. It seems like an attempt to make themselves look more cooperative and less mysterious in the eyes of the general public.

Elmira Swift
Curator of Alluvium

Penpal

Old 10-14-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaina Solo
I imagine that to be the case. They must feel enough pressure from the stir-up caused by Da Vinci Code to justify the release of some sort of documents. I imagine they thought that Holy Blood, Holy Grail and Messianic Legacy were safely swept under the rug, but the Da Vinci Code has reawakened interest the subject in a time period that's been pretty difficult for the church already. Especially with the loss of Pope John Paul II. It seems like an attempt to make themselves look more cooperative and less mysterious in the eyes of the general public.
I know that the Catholic Church isn't nearly as huge in the U.S. that it once was. But, I agree that this may be a PR type of action.

Solitare
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-14-2007, 06:47 PM

Now that should be very interesting! :o I also would suspect that only a few selected documents will be allowed to be published. Churches, for all of thier promotion of honesty, choose to be very protective of thier images!

Northawke
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-15-2007, 10:46 AM

I heard about this. Apparently it's going to be a very limited release. I hope a large library near me will have a copy I can use. I love everything pertaining to the Knights Templar.

Solitare
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-15-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northawke
I heard about this. Apparently it's going to be a very limited release. I hope a large library near me will have a copy I can use. I love everything pertaining to the Knights Templar.
I find thier history very intriguing also. Its sad how they were betrayed by the Church.