fuyumi_saito
(。・ω・&...
Send a message via MSN to fuyumi_saito

Old 10-20-2007, 04:46 AM

Didn't see her on here, after looking for awhile... She's one of my favorite authors. I've read most of her books. All of which are very good. My favorite would be Alphabet of Thorns.

It went a little slowly at first, but near the middle things got good. Right towards the end, Mckillip threw in this MAJOR plot twist. It was so unexpected it sent shivers down my spine and caused me to have goosebumps. I think everyone should read most her books... ^^

goldfish67
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 10-20-2007, 12:50 PM

wow you sure like reading..i dont mind it either..you know i just have to be in the mood for it..just like watching tv..or even roleplaying..umm maybe ive something by her? idk..what age are those books for mostly...or are they the kind which any age would feel comfortable reading?

fuyumi_saito
(。・ω・&...

Old 10-20-2007, 03:29 PM

Well, there isn't anything too bad in them.. Just romance. I would say most are 13 and older.. Alphabet of thorns.. Umm due to a certain coupling I would say 16 and older for that one.

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-20-2007, 08:16 PM

I read a lot of McKillip's novels when I just need a feel-good fluff story. They're nice and quick, and a good change from the usual stuff I read. Everyone needs a fantasy novel once in a while.

"Alphabet of Thorns" is probably my favorite. It was the first one I was introduced to, and I've reread it a number of times. The entire story is beautifully planned, and her language is always gorgeous. I wish that I could write like that.

"In the Forrests of Serre" is good too, but I didn't like "Winter Rose" quite as much. The entire concept threw me off a bit. It just didn't seem as clearly planned as her other's. A lot of elements were just thrown together, and there wasn't enough closure at the end for my tastes.

Morien
*^_^*

Old 10-20-2007, 09:37 PM

I love McKillip! I don't think I've read Alphabet, yet. I did read Harrowing the Dragon which I loved, The Tower at Stony Wood which I liked, and my favorite so far The Book of Atrix Wolfe. I really fell in love with that story. They were all really amazing. And of course K Y Craft's cover illustrations make them pretty to look at, too.

I always think of her work as being poetry that's been written in prose style. All three that I've read leave me with distinct pictures in my mind and a lingering love of words.

Ah... now I want to read more... <3

fuyumi_saito
(。・ω・&...

Old 10-21-2007, 08:07 PM

Yay, there are other fans on here ^^. I've read most of her books, but most of them are a bit hard to remember... Alphabet of thorns is by far the best.. Lol.. So yeah, if you haven't read that book of hers, you should. And aren't the hard cover pictures beautiful? I just love that style of art with the long flowy hair..

Morien
*^_^*

Old 10-22-2007, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuyumi_saito
Yay, there are other fans on here ^^. I've read most of her books, but most of them are a bit hard to remember... Alphabet of thorns is by far the best.. Lol.. So yeah, if you haven't read that book of hers, you should. And aren't the hard cover pictures beautiful? I just love that style of art with the long flowy hair..
It's Kinuko Craft who does the artwork... she does a lot of Renaissance style pieces and has done the most stunning childrens' books I've ever seen.

I'll have to see if I can get Alphabet off of Amazon or something, as the local library is on strike. D:

fuyumi_saito
(。・ω・&...

Old 10-22-2007, 01:39 AM

I knew the author didn't do the art. They never do, I don't think.. I'll have to look her up, because it's just so pretty.

It sucks tht your library is closed.. Kind of weird too... Though E-bay would probably be best, I haven't seen her books at barnes and nobles.. Then again I haven't been there in four months.