___emptiness___
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-27-2011, 07:36 PM

=3

Why does it take you as long as you do? Do you actually like books and why?

I'm sorry I hope this is fixing the problem...

Last edited by ___emptiness___; 08-28-2011 at 07:28 AM..

Saisei
Flying close to the sun on wings...
Send a message via ICQ to Saisei Send a message via AIM to Saisei Send a message via MSN to Saisei Send a message via Yahoo to Saisei

Old 08-27-2011, 11:20 PM

Four hours if I don't stop for a break and the book isn't too dense.

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 08-28-2011, 02:43 AM

I'd usually read in over the course of a day, I can read roughly 120 pages in an hour, so it wouldn't take me that long if I just sat down and read, but I tend not to do that.

PWEEP
Shadow Panda

Old 08-28-2011, 03:21 AM

Why not answer your own question, instead of making topics with a single emoticon; thus you contribute to the conversation?

Depending on the size of print, what I'm doing, distractions - 300 minutes minimum. So, about five hours.

Saisei
Send a message via ICQ to Saisei Send a message via AIM to Saisei Send a message via MSN to Saisei Send a message via Yahoo to Saisei

Old 08-28-2011, 04:35 AM

Perhaps instead of pretending to be a mod, you could just report the topic.

Oh, that's right, someone already did. :)

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-28-2011, 01:58 PM

Belly beat you to it, so resheath those bitch-claws :) Good to see the first post nicely edited to add some content :D

For me it depends on the print density of course. I hate a slimmish book that's been printed with quite a large font as you can get through it in an hour, and that's disappointing :( I always have a decision to make in book shops when I've decided to splash out on a new book, generally around Christmas when there's a lot of 3 for 2 offers on. Do I buy earlier works and fill up the gaps in my collection from this author, or do I buy the latest ones? Because an author's earlier works are invariably slimmer than their newer stuff.

Having said that, if you're looking for books from a prolific author who's publishing career has spanned a lot of years, the decade the book was printed will have a big impact on how thick it is. I have nearly all of Dick Francis' books, and I vastly prefer the original printings of his first books which came out in the 60s and 70s. Because they are slim but the print is small, so they take longer to get through than you thought they would. One of the things that bugs me about that larger font is you're turning the pages almost constantly.

Also, have you noticed that new paperbacks are really poorly made now, they're clearly not constructed the way books were 20 or so years ago. I buy a new book and before I've finished reading it just once the spine is often looking the worst for wear, and often the covers are starting the tear down at the bottom, where they bend round onto the spine, another reason why I vastly prefer secondhand books >_>

I tend to mainly read in bed at night, so a book will last me several days, unless I'm being dumb and reading into the wee hours and depriving myself of sleep! I think the last "new" book that I read (meaning one that I'd not read before) was My Cousin Rachel by Daphne De Maurier, a lovely cloth covered hardback printed in 1952, that has 320 pages (and smells great!) That took me about 4 sittings (lyings) to read.

I try very hard not the read too quickly, as I will skip paragraphs if I do that, so I try to make myself slow down to I absorb all the story.

Saisei

Old 08-28-2011, 02:40 PM

I also have a problem with modern paperbacks, which is why my collection is now entirely split between hardback leatherbounds and digital. I just get the page numbers from amazon if I'm curious how many pages my book is supposed to be. :)

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-28-2011, 08:33 PM

I'd honestly hate a Kindle or anything like that, it just doesn't seem right to me, I'm a fan of paper. If I had the money to do it I'd turn my junk-filled dining room into a library full of old books :heart:

Saisei

Old 08-28-2011, 08:38 PM

This summer was a real trial by fire for my Kindle, as I got all of the books for my Summer Reading List class on kindle. Eight books, about 2200 pages total.

It was not bad at all.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-28-2011, 09:08 PM

I'm sure the technology is awesome, I just like books :ninja:

Saisei

Old 08-29-2011, 12:08 AM

I like books, too, but I'd still rather read on a machine than have a zillion and four mass market paperbacks clogging up a room in my house, just waiting to fall apart in the moist air of ten coastal summers. :(

Plus, I can have all the books I own/am reading on one device with instant access. I figured I'd be making a huge trade-off for those couple things, but it turns out the kindle reading experience is quite pleasant overall. *shrug*

PWEEP
Shadow Panda

Old 08-29-2011, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saisei View Post
Perhaps instead of pretending to be a mod, you could just report the topic.

Oh, that's right, someone already did. :)
I was never pretending to be a mod. I have never claimed I was any sort of staff member on this site. I was just asking a question. I thought I was rather nice in asking the topic creator to be involved in his/her topics, and chat with others. :|

I also prefer books, over a Kindle. Easier access to material on a Kindle (or other device), but the feeling of real paper books cannot be beat. The sound it makes when a page turns. I never have to worry about the battery dying, unless my mind actually goes out.

Last edited by PWEEP; 08-29-2011 at 01:08 AM.. Reason: Typo.

Wicked
*^_^*

Old 08-29-2011, 06:51 AM

I tend to get most of my reading done at work.
So if it's a slow day and not a lot of phone calls are coming in I could read 300 pages in a few hours.

Since most days aren't like that - it takes awhile for me to plow through that many pages.
I'm checking in guests, answering the phone and doing laundry.

I can multitask with the best of them but doing all that AND reading is a bit much.

:)

Nacara
*^_^*

Old 08-29-2011, 07:16 AM

It usually depends on what kind of book I'm reading.
Example: school related, biography, boring books are ones that I NEVER get through (and if I do, then I don't remember a single sentence that I've read.)
If it is an interesting book, then I will not put it down. I get so into books that I forget to eat or do anything else!

ChocoCoveredCoffeeChick
*^_^*

Old 08-29-2011, 04:47 PM

If it's a book that I can't seem to put down it takes me approximately 2-3 hours. If I can't get into it then it can take up to 3 days if I even want to finish it. And if it's a good book, but not a don't put me down book it takes about 6hours (mostly because I would take breaks and find other things to do in between)

Javert
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-30-2011, 08:19 AM

A few days, if I like the book enough, and don't have a lot of hours in a row to read it. If it's something I don't like, a week or more. Usually more. D:. I love reading and all, but three hundred pages seems like a lot for me these days. :(.

xXMCRAngel2107Xx
MCR

Old 08-30-2011, 06:02 PM

three hours.. but thats without breaks and important things called life and sleep because i like to read at night... with life in the way it takes 2 days.

Iltu
do you think pigeons have feelin...

Old 09-01-2011, 12:21 AM

Well, if I just sit down and read it in a straight shot, anywhere from three to six hours. Maybe longer if it was particularly heavy stuff! It depends on how large the pages are and how small the font is. :yes:

Otherwise, it depends on how much time I have and what else I'm doing and how much I like the book. Might finish it in a day or three, might finish it in a week.

xrainbowstars

Old 09-07-2011, 12:38 AM

It take me five hour to read 300 page. If the book is too boring,
I probably will stop reading in the first 20 page.:)

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 09-09-2011, 06:45 AM

1500 minutes (25 hours). Because I take 5 minutes per page. I are slow reader :(
(I timed it... seriously takes 5 min)

colorsbold
barely present

Old 09-10-2011, 04:28 AM

Which book? Because I can gobble up 300 pages of a Harry Potter book in a handful of hours. But 300 pages of Edith Wharton? I am glacial, I am a mollusc, I am goo, I am braindead, I am...

Not very fast.

It all depends on the author. With a classic, 1-2 weeks per book; I don't want to risk missing anything important. With popular literature, less than a week (think Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close or Water For Elephants, something relatively contemporary). Then, with popular fiction: Mercy Thompson lasts me about 2 days.

I've noticed paperback deterioration too, Jelly. Completely. It happens more quickly with my science fiction books, though. Am I reading them particularly violently, or something? I wonder if there are different publishing standards among certain types of books... Mass Market Paperbacks tend to deteriorate faster than the full-sized, right?

emo_vamp_since_1994
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-12-2011, 06:10 AM

It really depends, sometimes maybe four to six hours, maybe weeks, or even months. It really depends on how the book lures me and keeps me focused...

Furious
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-19-2011, 07:35 AM

I think it really depends on how much I'm into a book. If it has my attention completely and totally, to the point I can NOT stop reading until I'm finished, then a few hours. Also if it's a book I've read before, even faster because I don't get hung up on every word, I can sort of skim it while not really skimming if that makes sense. I don't know how to really explain it.

But on average, if I'm not completely into it then... a few days, because I'll probably put it down and read about twenty pages at a time or so.

___emptiness___
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-20-2011, 10:27 PM

For me it also depends if I'm intrested in the book.I rember one time I had a book report due the next so I had to read the whole book in one day.It was about 200 pages and it was absolutely boring.I finished the book in 15 hours.

I'm a very slow reader. :(

I forgot to mention that I took a lot of breaks,because I thought the book was super boring.

lightkanna
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 09-21-2011, 06:32 AM

Depending on how good the book is, if I do not take any breaks, get distracted, then I probably can finish it within a day. But I usually do finish it around the second day, since I've read quite a few hundred or two pages. :) Though I feel as if 300 pages isn't enough for me. I'd like to read more than that, since books are quite an imaginative thing.