meganthemarv

Old 04-19-2011, 03:47 PM

Harry Potter. Hehe ;) Its full of twists and turns and the charectors are amazing!! Against what some people have said, i loved the epilogue!!

Twilight is awful! My friends obsessed with it! Gah, Bella is just a winey pathetic teenage girl who cant decide between a dog and a dead guy! The plot is drawn out and I just dont like Stephanie Meyers style of writing. She leaves so much for imgination. And the film is just as bad as the book. I fully enjoyed vampires suck :D

Thats just my personal opinion. Me and my friend are always arguing over Harry Potter or Twilight.

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 04-22-2011, 12:37 PM

It's hard to compare the two series as they're very different.

I've only read the first two Twilight series books so I don't know the full extent of the story...and I've finished Harry Potter. I didn't know about Harry Potter until the time the first 3 books were already released then I heard about the hype surrounding it, and got interested.

Anyway I thought the story was very interesting and by the time I finished the fourth book I was hooked. I loved trying to guess whether Snape was actually good or bad. I could kind of tell the truth from the way he was portrayed.

So, for me Harry Potter is definitely the series I prefer.

Exchange
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 04-24-2011, 06:13 AM

Why is this even a question. Even though Twilight is about vampires and Harry Potter about wizards, there's no doubt that J. K. Rowling can write a thousand times better than Stephanie Meyer. Not to mention Rowling's world is unique and interesting, as opposed to Meyer's, which honestly can be passed off for another tween series. Harry Potter is something that I won't be surprised if it ends up on an English reading list. I'd roll over in my would-be grave if Twilight was given the same treatment.

CalicoAnne

Old 04-30-2011, 09:08 PM

Personally I'd definitely say Harry Potter! I grew up reading the Harry Potter books, waiting for each one to be released so for me there's absolutely no way that I could ever consider Harry Potter not to be my favourite out of the two. It wins by a landslide majority!
J.K. invents a magnificent world and characters, her books are known to be read by people of all ages and will probably be one of those wonderful series that transcends time and will always be read again and again.

Frankly I found the Twilight saga dull, silly and too easy to take the piss out of. The writing style is that of a teenager and the story simply a teenager's fantasy. Though I commend her for it's success, I do admit I tend to look down on the whole hype about it.
But this whole thing really gets down to a question of preference (though I daresay most, if not all, are in some way influenced by the social impact of both books as well as the preferences for writing style, genre, etc. )

As such I found a rather suitable picture to share (I think, if you take it with light hearted humour, this picture can be enjoyed by both those who aren't so keen on Twilight and those who are) :

FaePinkfyre
Wiccan Princess

Old 05-23-2011, 07:00 PM

Harry Potter and Twilight are in very different genres in my opinion.
While Twilight is a fantasy romance novel because it focuses a lot more on the Belle/Edward romance and story line, Harry Potter is more of a fantasy action novel because it focuses more on all the trouble that Harry, Ron and Hermoine find themselves in and fighting Voldemort.

If I had to pick, I would probably pick Harry Potter simply because it's written better. That being said, I really enjoy the Twilight Saga and all the books.

I feel that people can enjoy both set of novels as well as both sets of movies.

say-i-love-you
(◎_◎;)

Old 05-24-2011, 06:07 PM

Harry Potter <333
I like the characters better plus the plot has tons of intricate parts which work together pretty well and Twilight has about one main theme which just isn't as interesting to me.

ElliAir

Old 05-28-2011, 11:38 AM

Hmm...With Twilight, I'm OK for the idea of it. I didn't like how she twisted the view on vamps though. Also, I found the characters quite hard to digest. But if you like Twilight, I guess it's your personal choice really! :)
But I read Harry Potter first, so I'll always be a Harry Potter fan at heart.

shinigamikarasu
(^._.^)ノ

Penpal

Old 05-28-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sho-Shonojo View Post
I don't think they are really comparable at all. The stories are completely different. A romance story vs a fantasy story? It ends up being a battle of which genre you like better rather than which story is actually better.
I completely agree with you here. The only reason they are even being compared is because of the outstanding popularity of both series. Besides this, they have nothing in common.

I still prefer Harry Potter. It has a plot, interesting characters and setting, character development, and the author actually did some research to keep the creatures closer to mythology.

Cat Eye
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 06-03-2011, 11:50 PM

Harry Potter

Twilight isn't about vampires. It is about a sparkly whiny emo faerie boy and a girl who has no personality except the loving of that faerie and she can't go on without him. It's about how important having a boyfriend is like Stephen King said. (I believe he said that) Also, there would be no way Bella could get pregnant. They're dead (male vampires) which means there should be no more production of sperm which means two days after his transformation into a "vampire".....he can't get anyone pregnant if he could even get it up without it being forced with a cattle prod or something. Sperm is viable for a max of 48 hours.

Last edited by Cat Eye; 06-04-2011 at 03:08 PM..

CuteKitten1211
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-04-2011, 01:20 PM

Harry Potter FTW! It has better characters, a much better plot, and I adore J.K. Rowling's writing style. I feel like I'm actually there witnessing what's going on.

As for Twilight, I have all the books and I've read them. I enjoyed them to an extent, I'm not going to lie, until it was shown that Edward became this stalker-ish guy and had every issue with Bella seeing Jacob. Who really wants an undead, cold, stalker, "I-want-to-kill-you-but-I-won't" kind of person for a boyfriend? It just got obsessive and creepy. I especially cringe whenever the name "Twilight" is mentioned after the movies came out. They're much, much worse than the books.

Rikku-Takaru1623
If we all learn from our mistake...

Old 06-21-2011, 06:51 PM

I like Harry Potter because I hate the main character in the Twilight series, Bella. I have read all of the twilight books but I just didn't like her because she comes off as a bitch to me. Also the movie ruined it all for me. The fact that vampires sparkle in that book turns me off. It's just not my preference. The guy who played Edward just made him looked hideous, creepy, stalker-ish, and obsessive about her. It did turn me into a Jacob fan though.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinigamikarasu View Post
I completely agree with you here. The only reason they are even being compared is because of the outstanding popularity of both series. Besides this, they have nothing in common.

I still prefer Harry Potter. It has a plot, interesting characters and setting, character development, and the author actually did some research to keep the creatures closer to mythology.
That is a pretty good point. Now that I think about, it's true about what you said.

Yeah I find Harry Potter to be much more unique and interesting :D

Last edited by Rikku-Takaru1623; 06-21-2011 at 06:54 PM..

SilverSnake
RAWR
Send a message via MSN to SilverSnake

Old 06-22-2011, 01:02 PM

Harry Potter! As most of you I grew up with it. I red books so many times I could re-tell them word in word.. Also currently they're giving me a giant nostalgia, as I realize that I grew up... I still remember times when we were just as careless like epic trio in first three books.. How we started getting more and more mature in 4th, experienced first love and great losses, realizing that life isn't this easy as it always seemed before in 5th and 6th, and in 7th we understand, that our childhood has passed.. I so want to get old good times back - in the beginning of books you could never think that any character would get killed, at least I couldn't. Harry Potter causes me a giant storm of feelings, which I just cannot put in words!

As for Twilight.. Pathetic, nothing more.

WinglessFairy
Teh Awesome
Send a message via AIM to WinglessFairy Send a message via Yahoo to WinglessFairy

Old 06-22-2011, 08:32 PM

No offense, but I feel like you are comparing two book series that are on completly different levels from each other =/

LilyRose
Crazy Rat

Old 06-22-2011, 10:25 PM

I like Harry Potter better, mainly because the characters in Twilight seem a little.. flat, in my opinion Twilight, should have ended in book one with Bella becoming a vampire.

Ven

Old 06-25-2011, 09:48 PM

I think Twilight is horrible =D

Harry Potter will be a series that our children will still love and read, I am sure of that.
Twilight... wlel, I think it will be long forgotten then.

Acobjum
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Penpal

Old 06-25-2011, 10:10 PM

Harry Potter. By a landslide. Unlike twilight Harry Potter is actually well written and has many likeable chacters with many plot twists and turns. As for twilight, it is a badly written fanfic by a grown native english speaking woman. Someone who should know better than to to overly exercise the use of adjectives and repeating a character's looks and traits monotonously over and over. I would expect this kind of bad writing from an overenergenic teen or someone not familiar to the english language.

thedarkraven
\ (•◡•) /

Old 06-27-2011, 11:59 PM

Harry Potter all the way. Twilight is okay if you are alone and completely bored out of your mind.

Lucadia

Old 06-28-2011, 06:58 AM

Harry Potter.

Wamakai
Who Am I?

Old 07-04-2011, 06:36 AM

I choose the lesser of the two evils, Harry Potter.

yoruichi222

Old 07-05-2011, 08:33 PM

harry potter is so much better!
however, they both are great reads

Seradinea
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-15-2011, 07:29 AM

Too me personally I have read both series of books and I have seen both of the twilight and harry potter and I think movie wise they are both very good but when it comes to the books I prefer harry potter. :)

-Enigma
⊙ω⊙
Banned

Old 07-16-2011, 12:38 AM

As I have said previously, I fail to see how Harry Potter and Twilight are comparable. I'm going to vote for Harry Potter because I love that series, and have so many hates and flaws and problems with the Twilight series that I don't see it even worth my time to go into detail.

Miss_Muffinz13x
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-16-2011, 02:44 AM

personally i like harry potter better because its more creative.

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 07-16-2011, 06:56 AM

I've merged these two threads, as they cover the same subject. :)

paramore444
(-.-)zzZ
Banned

Old 07-16-2011, 04:53 PM

HARRY POTTER ALL THE WAY! I even had a temper tantrum when i turned 11. Hehe..... My grandma was reading Harry Potter to me when I was 5. (of coarse by the age of 8 I could read them alone.) And besides, who names their child Renesmay???