Faded Beauty
Imaginary Friend

Old 02-13-2012, 07:58 PM

Yeah, it's good with any fried katsu rather its chicken, beef, pork. Even on regular steaks and great with plain white rice.

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 02-13-2012, 07:58 PM

I've had katsu sauce with pork and chicken, and it's good with both.

I'll have to try that recipe, I have all the ingredients except ketchup xD

(we steal ketchup packets from restaurants, so I don't think we have enough altogether)

greendragon06
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 02-13-2012, 08:01 PM

I do the same thing for my sugar! Honestly usually I only use sugar for my coffee and the packets are the perfect size, so it works out really well.

You know what else is really good? There is this sticky rice I made once that has almonds, peas and lemon juice. I ought to dig out the recipe and share it here because its really good and in a pinch because its sticky you can eat it with your fingers.

Faded Beauty
Imaginary Friend

Old 02-13-2012, 08:09 PM

Keyori: See, told you simple enough. :)
I'm normally lazy and buy it. However here in the small town I live in had stop selling it, so its always home made. That's what I get for living in a town with hardily any asians besides my family.

Green: Sounds good, though I would have to tweak it. I'm allergic to nuts.

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 02-13-2012, 08:12 PM

Ugh, I really want to make katsu now but we don't have any chicken xD

I've had panko crumbs in my cupboard forever and I really should use it up.

Faded Beauty
Imaginary Friend

Old 02-13-2012, 08:19 PM

You buy panko?

It's easy to make your own panko and cheaper as well. I can tell you how to if you wish. You'll be surprised how your katsu taste intensify after you do it from home.

greendragon06
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 02-13-2012, 08:23 PM

I think the rice would still taste good without the almonds and would be cheaper too. It always sucks to have an allergy because then you have to always be reading the labels to find out if it is safe to eat something or not.

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 02-13-2012, 08:37 PM

We've only bought panko a couple of times... to be honest, I have no idea when we even bought the box we have. It might be stale. It probably IS stale.

Faded Beauty
Imaginary Friend

Old 02-13-2012, 08:39 PM

Green: Not really, it never really bothers me. The allergy that does, is the medical glue on bandaids, medical type and etc... basically everything that sticks to your skin.

I really have to be careful not to get hurt.

Edit:
Keyori: Yeah thats the bad thing about store bought. If you make it home made its always fresh and you don't have to worry about it being stale.

greendragon06
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 02-13-2012, 08:43 PM

Some things that are stale are still useable if used correctly.

Faded Beauty
Imaginary Friend

Old 02-13-2012, 09:01 PM

Depends really, but with panko you can use it even stale. Just taste better fresh.

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 02-21-2012, 02:12 AM

I just tried making katsu chicken... AMAZINGLY I had NO SOY SAUCE! But I had a bottle of ketchup! What is wrong with my kitchen?!

So I used some of the teriyaki sauce instead of soy sauce. I figured it was close enough. I definitely could tell there was teriyaki flavor in the katsu sauce, but it wasn't bad.

The chicken came out perfectly though. I'm normally terrible at frying things that I batter, but the texture was amazing. Overall, I call it a success! It's moved up to my go-to chicken recipe now (before I was just baking it and letting hubby pick a sauce for the side, usually bbq).

The only other thing I need to do is get decent frying oil. We only use vegetable oil, I need to switch to canola or peanut.

Liquid Diamond
Ich bin die morgen stern!

Old 02-22-2012, 06:58 PM

Hmm... I love any home cooked meal made by my mother, but I only get that treat on Sundays.

My boyfriend does the cooking (since I can't cook for crap .__.). He's a bit more adventurous then mom, which means a loooot of different variety of things that I may or may not like. I have to say, though, his home made potato soup is out of this world!!! Its my absolute favourite thing! :)

Roxxi Shiagami
⊙ω⊙
Penpal

Old 02-27-2012, 04:18 PM

I'm not really much of a cook. I help out the folks from time to time to fix meals but I've never really fixed something on my own other than pancakes and pretzels. (I do have to admit I make a mean batch of 'em too.) I would really like to get into it so that way I could take some of the pressure off my parent's shoulders and that way have some skills once I move out. The only problem is that I'm a bit of a picky eater, though I am trying to get into the habit of tasting new things. Does anyone know some recipes that are relatively easy for a beginner to try?

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 02-27-2012, 04:53 PM

What kind of dish would you be looking for?

I think the ultimate beginner dish is grilled cheese, followed by some sort of pasta.

Personally I have a really hard time with baking, but I've been known to make an awesome strawberry-banana bread (I converted a few people who "hated" banana bread with it :lol:). If baking doesn't scare you, I'd say look for a pizza recipe, since you can pretty much customize it to your heart's content.

I'm also a fan of frying things, though I haven't been doing much of that lately. Battering and frying onion rings or onion straws is pretty simple and you don't have to worry about under-cooking them like you would with chicken or other meat.

Do any of those interest you?

Roxxi Shiagami
⊙ω⊙
Penpal

Old 02-27-2012, 05:05 PM

Yeah, those sound really good. lol, my mouth is watering already. I'll have to look for some recipes now. :P

Kay
(^._.^)ノ

Old 02-27-2012, 10:14 PM

My family eats a lot of chicken, we raise our own chickens for meat, and the way we have it most often is grilled. My favorite way that my mom makes it is the Catalina chicken. Its really simple, all you need is the chicken, a bottle of Catalina salad dressing, some lemon pepper, and some ginger. Really good grilled, its good baked too. :)

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 02-27-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxxi Shiagami View Post
Yeah, those sound really good. lol, my mouth is watering already. I'll have to look for some recipes now. :P
So my husband says he's an awful cook (it's mostly a confidence issue I think) and he made some great puppy chow, so I think that'd be great for you to start with! The hardest part is just melting the chocolate, but as long as you keep the heat low and add the butter before the chocolate, it shouldn't burn.

Pkero
~VR is the Future~

Old 02-28-2012, 01:52 AM

My girlfriend makes fantastic fried chicken, and we'll generally throw that in a salad with some honey mustard. It's fantastic.

As for what I cook, I am a master of breakfast. I toast up a bagel, put barbecue sauce, bacon, an egg and some cheese on it, and it is DELICIOUS. The barbecue sauce I use is really spicy, too, which I love. Short of having spicy barbecue sauce, I just use regular and put some sriracha on it. Tastes about the same, and you can't go wrong with sriracha.

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 02-28-2012, 02:00 AM

That sounds good, I never though of bbq with eggs before!

I am totally in love with McD's breakfast bacon bagel thingers, and I tried to make it myself but their hollandaise is way better than any stuff I've found or tried to make on my own... :C

Roxxi Shiagami
⊙ω⊙
Penpal

Old 02-28-2012, 02:38 AM

Puppy chow? For a minute I thought you meant real dog food, then I saw the chocolate. ^-^;;

I'm curious about it, could you post the recipe or pm it to me?

Roxxi Shiagami
⊙ω⊙
Penpal

Old 03-10-2012, 03:25 PM

Hey! I was wondering if anyone had a fairly easy chicken recipe. It's my mom's birthday today, and I kinda decided last minute- this morning, really - to make dinner today. Except I'm not sure of a good recipe, and I don't want to simply grill or bake it. I want to try something different.

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 03-10-2012, 04:30 PM

I like to boil chicken and shred it with forks, then season it for use in chicken-based mexican dishes like enchiladas.

Roxxi Shiagami
⊙ω⊙
Penpal

Old 03-10-2012, 05:35 PM

Well, I was gonna fix twice baked potato with it, but you've given me an idea. So thanks Keyori! ^-^

I hope it turns out well. I'll let you know.

Keyori
Stalked by BellyButton

Old 03-10-2012, 06:09 PM

Oh, awesome! Glad I could help :)