Connielass
Queen of Nutcases

Old 08-07-2014, 05:21 PM

I've tried a couple recipes off pinterest, and it worked out well enough for me.
I've made all the following, with yummy results!
Plum and Apple tart on Puff Pastry
Peppermint Kiss Brownie Bites
Cucumber Turkey sandwich wraps
No-bake Icebox Cake
Crockpot Apple Butter
Bacon Egg Muffin cups
Pumpkin Bread Muffins

I don't have an entire afternoon to devote to baking one single dish, so I tend to go for the easiest, least complicated recipes, and I guarantee, these aren't complicated at all!

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 08-07-2014, 05:57 PM

I've made cake in a mug... it was actually pretty tasty... not gourmet but hey... if you're making something in a mug you can't really be picky

Connielass
Queen of Nutcases

Old 08-07-2014, 11:22 PM

Why wouldn't it be gourmet? Dress it up with some pumpkin seeds/shaved almonds, or raisins - I like craisins in pumpkin bread - and the fact that it's in a mug kind of makes it feel like gourmet to me.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 08-07-2014, 11:26 PM

I dunno. it's kinda like calling cookie dough a gourmet snack

Connielass
Queen of Nutcases

Old 08-08-2014, 12:16 AM

Potato potahto, I guess. ^^

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 08-08-2014, 12:35 AM

indeed. no matter how you say it they both make fries

Damia Flagg
(^(エ)^)
Penpal

Old 08-08-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connielass View Post
I need some new hangouts! This one will do!

So has anyone on Pinterest tried any of the recipes?
I've never been to Pinterest.
I have ladies at work who keep trying to get me to go there, but I just haven't even looked at it.

Connielass
Queen of Nutcases

Old 08-09-2014, 01:37 AM

Pinterest is FULL of recipe ideas! You would not believe! You should really try it out.

Damia Flagg
(^(エ)^)
Penpal

Old 08-10-2014, 01:31 AM

I'm scared I will get sucked into it like I do on facebook every few months.
Facebook eats months at a time & you have little to show for it.

Connielass
Queen of Nutcases

Old 08-10-2014, 02:03 AM

Pish! You get SO many good ideas. Even if you don't try them out right away, you can save them for a later date, like holiday dinner/dessert/drink ideas. I have SO many pumpkin recipes waiting for fall, and mulled cranberry cider in a crockpot! And last year I made batches of crockpot apple butter for everyone's Christmas gift, and I have yet to try the stuffed baked apples, which I'm hoping to make happen as soon as the weather turns cool enough. And raisin apple bread! Brownies with roasted pumpkin seeds!

You GOTTA try it!!

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 08-30-2014, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connielass View Post
I've tried a couple recipes off pinterest, and it worked out well enough for me.
I've made all the following, with yummy results!
Plum and Apple tart on Puff Pastry
Peppermint Kiss Brownie Bites
Cucumber Turkey sandwich wraps
No-bake Icebox Cake
Crockpot Apple Butter
Bacon Egg Muffin cups
Pumpkin Bread Muffins

I don't have an entire afternoon to devote to baking one single dish, so I tend to go for the easiest, least complicated recipes, and I guarantee, these aren't complicated at all!
ASDFJKL;AASDFGHJKLASDFGHJKLASDFGHJ GIMMMEEEEEE!

Connielass
Queen of Nutcases

Old 09-11-2014, 07:20 PM

So I made cheesesteak hotpocket kind of thingies.
I took Pillsbury flaky biscuits, cut each one in half and gently spread it out. Cooked up strip steak, then put a handful of pieces on each biscuit bottom with half of a cheese slice. Meanwhile my dad had been dicing bell peppers, which I added a handful to the biscuit, then the other half of the cheese slice, then put the top of the biscuit on, and pressed the two halves together.

Bake according to biscuit directions, let cool for a minute, and enjoy!

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 09-26-2014, 02:35 AM

Omnomnomnom

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 09-28-2014, 03:14 PM

That sounds delicious

Connielass
Queen of Nutcases

Old 10-13-2014, 06:16 AM

::pokes thread:: anyone done any baking recently?

CloudDreamer
(◎_◎;)
Banned

Old 10-13-2014, 06:37 AM

Just curious, do any of you have simple, cheap, and healthy meals that I could make at school - I do have access to a full kitchen. :]
I just want to have some simple ideas that I can make and possible freeze, or put in the fridge to have left overs for a few days. :]

(One thing, I'm not a huge meat fan - so I'd rather not have to have meals that have a lot of meat in them. Or recipes that I can just take the meat out of if they do have it in them.)

Damia Flagg
(^(エ)^)
Penpal

Old 10-13-2014, 01:06 PM

@CloudDreamer ~ What we did in college was mostly add some dehydrated vegetable to ramen noodles to help make them taste better & a little more filling. Sometimes if we had some leftover meat we would add it, but not very often, usually it was chicken.
Lately we have been making a lot of soups or soup bases.
During the summer we canned some tomatoes, corn, okra, zucchini & lima beans with some seasonings. Now we open up a jar & add it over rice or put it in some soup.
One of our favorite things to do is make crock pot meals, those can last of days if can keep an eye on them & not let it burn, just add a little bit of stuff to it each day to keep it going.
When we do that the first day starts out as a chunky vegetable marinara type sauce which next becomes spaghetti sauce by adding some browned meat to it. The following day we add some chili powder & beans to it & usually another can of tomatoes.
Add some cheese the next day & make it into a dip to serve with chips or crackers.
We have made it last longer than that, but I can't remember what else we did with it.
When we did it we had house guest for almost a full week.
It might work better if you had a few people willing to help with it.

I'm trying to think of a few recipes that freeze well.
I don't think I'm awake enough yet to think of many.

Cheap recipes usually I use leftovers for these.
If we have rice for breakfast then we will add it to some chicken broth for lunch, sometimes we add some chicken if we have it if not its good without it.

Here is a recipe that my mother in-law makes
Baked bean casserole:
can of baked beans
can of biscuits
shredded cheese

Dump can of beans in casserole dish cover with biscuits & sprinkle with cheese.
Place in oven & I think she said to follow directions for the biscuits for cooking instructions.

Last edited by Damia Flagg; 10-14-2014 at 12:03 PM..

CloudDreamer
(◎_◎;)
Banned

Old 10-13-2014, 03:12 PM

Oh, thanks! I'd probably not be adding much meat as I am not a huge fan of it.

But I'm sure I can figure out alternatives to meat for most of that.
I so wish that I had a crock pot here at school. D:

That would make my life easier, but given that I have less than a year left I probably won't go out and buy one.
As I won't need it after this year.

Oh, that casserole sounds yummy! (Now I need to try to get my hands on a casserole dish. I may have a kitchen but I don't have much in terms of baking dishes. :P)

And I know about not being awake enough to think straight. That's me right now at the moment as well. curse you insomnia!

Eastriel
(。☉౪ ⊙&...

Old 10-13-2014, 03:26 PM

Yo yo yo all!

Damia Flagg
(^(エ)^)
Penpal

Old 10-14-2014, 12:14 PM

CloudDreamer: ~ One leftover casserole I really like can either be made from one of those frozen turkey meals or leftover turkey from Thanksgiving or Christmas. I put leftover potatoes in the bottom of the casserole dish, then add some dressings then some of the turkey & cover with the gravy. I know it freezes pretty well. When you get ready to use it just heat it long enough to get warm all the way through. I have a couple of different sizes of casserole dishes including a few for individual meals.
I love having a crock pot & now they have so many different sizes, they do come in handy.

Connielass: ~ Sadly no, I haven't had much time to bake lately. Been working on costumes for the Renaissance Festival most evenings after work. I did just pick up a book at a thrift store called the Professional Pastry Chef. There are so many recipes in it that I want to try.

CloudDreamer
(◎_◎;)
Banned

Old 10-14-2014, 03:38 PM

Damia: I don't have access to left overs from either of those - well I do at Christmas but that happens 8 hour drive away from where I am for school, so that is not something I can do - plus with me not liking eating meat (or rather handling meat, that is not something that I can do). Plus I will not be going home for Thanksgiving. (We don't have the money to fly me home so once again I have to spend it on my own...) Mom makes lots of turkey soup after Christmas that she freezes (not that it helps me as I can't bring that back with me as I fly home as it's so much faster than driving, because most of the time I only do carry on).
Given that I'm still in college and I'm moving around, I don't have a lot of things and I don't have the money to spend on things like casserole dishes and crock pots - I'm spending things on like books and school supplies, and even then I'm having to be careful with money.
That's why I'm looking for simple dishes that I can make that don't cost a lot of money (or really in general having to deal with meat), and are healthy. I don't have access to Christmas or Thanksgiving turkeys where I live currently.

Last edited by CloudDreamer; 10-14-2014 at 03:49 PM..

Andraus
Most shy away from conflict. I e...

Old 10-14-2014, 05:41 PM

Um, I have a recipe book that's over half a century old....maybe I can show a couple?

Damia Flagg
(^(エ)^)
Penpal

Old 10-20-2014, 05:35 PM

Cloud Dreamer ~ Sorry. I do remember about how much text books cost.
How much longer will you be in school?

CloudDreamer
(◎_◎;)
Banned

Old 10-20-2014, 05:44 PM

Mmm, I'm actually in a major where text books aren't super bad... sure they're bad, but nothing like other majors - I can get all of mine, for under 300$ (usually - this term it was a tiny bit more, but it was all because of the book for my Developmental Differences class -- if I didn't need that I would have been just barely over 200$ for all of my books, and that's 8 books, if I'm counting right... possibly 9 [but with the expensive book it was about 330$ this semester, or so] - I'm exhausted and not thinking straight - I was up till 4 am working on a paper that's due today - still not done with it...) . But I still don't have the money to throw away on casserole dishes and crock pots... (the only reason I've been able to be in school for so long is my parents are supporting me - but we are paying for three of us to go to college, and let's just say, my brother's schooling is not cheep...)

If things don't get messed up... I'm done next May (if I choose not to go to Grad School - and right now I highly doubt that I will because what's the point... there is ABSOLUTELY no point to going to grad school...) I'm so close to just giving up on my undergrad... it's almost just not even worth it to me. I have absolutely NO idea what I want to do.... and I feel like the last 8 years have just been one HUGE waste... -.-

Connielass
Queen of Nutcases

Old 10-20-2014, 08:41 PM

Damn I forgot the tater tots!