Damia Flagg
(^(エ)^)
Penpal

Old 01-14-2012, 05:51 PM

Hello everyone.
I've been here for over a year, but I've only been really active the last few months. I like to hang out in some of the chat threads, but I never could get up the nerve to start my own chat thread until now.

The idea hit me over Christmas while I was talking to a friend about recipes & how many are lost because people never share them with others. I just don't really understand that, but to each their own.
It makes me sad how many wonderful recipes are lost due to a person getting ill or dying & never sharing or writing down their treasured recipe with anyone. Or their family never caring enough to save a recipe.

A little about me.
I love to bake, but I haven't had time to do much of it lately.
I am a certified cake decorator, I even made my own wedding cake.
I love to make Hors d'oeuvre.

My dream job would be to have my own Catering business.

So grab a glass of your favorite beverage & lets chat.
I hope you will share some recipes with us.
Or if you are looking for a recipe ask away maybe someone will know it & can share it with you.
Got any good cooking tips?

Miscreant74
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 01-14-2012, 05:52 PM

Hello I'm Damia's husband & assistant baker.
I'm the master of all things bbq, cheeseball & ham.

So here is a easy recipe for Cheeseball.

1 package of cream cheese
1 packet of ranch dressing mix
1/2 small jar of dried beef (chopped)
shredded cheese (optional)

Combine all ingredients in a zip-lock type freezer bag & mix.
If you want to add shredded cheese you can, that can add some variety to it.
My favorites to add are sharp cheddar or Havarti & dill.
Make into a round shape & place on a plate.
Serve with crackers.

Damia & I have been discussing the thread & have decided to try to gather all the recipes & post them on the first page. Especially since I had to look through 22 pages to find the Sukiyaki recipe.
Sukiyaki Recipe - from page 22

SPOILERX

Quote:
I can't remember if I ever posted the original version.
Newer version: Southern Sukiyaki

This was a fun dish to make with lots of friends around. Each person helped with different stages of the dish.

Super Dashi
3 larger baby portabella mushrooms & cut into quarters
3 cups water
5 chicken (beef or vegetable) bullion cubes

In a large sauce pan put mushrooms in water, cover & bring to a boil. After boiling reduce heat & add bullion cubes. Cover & simmers until cubes are dissolved. You can remove the mushrooms, we decided not to remove them.z

Sukiyaki Sauce
1 cup of sugar
¼ of cooking rice wine
1 1/2 cup of soy sauce
Super Dashiz
2 pints of water
Make sauce by combining all ingredients.z

In a large electric roasting pan mix together & bring to a boil.

Begin cooking 2 bundles of Udon Noodles to add to Sukiyaki.z
Begin cooking 2 cups of Long Grain White Rice in Rice Cooker.

Sukiyaki
1 lb of thinly sliced beef roast (the meat dept will slice it for free) can be left like that or cut into strips
1 lb of chicken (boneless & skinless) cut into strips
1 lb pork loin or pork roast cut into strips
1 large packet of firm tofu ( cut into cubes)
1 small bag of shredded/matchstick carrot
@ 1 lb portabella mushrooms, cut into thin slices (minus whatever you used in the super dashi)
2 bundles green onions, chopped
1 head of Napa Cabbage or Bok Choy chopped
5 small red potatoes thinly sliced
2 zucchini thinly sliced
1 large onion sliced
A few sprigs of fresh parsley, chopped
2 pack of Udon noodles, cooked & drained
Vegetable oil
2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of dried or fried garlic

Melt butter in Wok, add oil when bubbling then add fried/dried garlic. Next add onions, cook until almost clear. Add one cup of Sukiyaki sauce. Begin adding meat a handful of pieces at a time. Don’t overload meat, or it will not get cooked well. As meat is browning push to side of wok & add more meat & sukiyaki sauce. Don’t let it dry out or it will burn.

As sukiyaki sauce is starting to boiling in the roasting pan begin potatoes. They will need to most time to cook.
After boiling begin adding: onions, mushrooms, zucchini, carrots, & cabbage little bits at a time & stir, continue until all are added. Add tofu, parsley & udon noodles stir every few minutes. Begin adding the meats.
Stir & reduce heat & place lid on roaster & simmer for about an 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Can be served over rice. Season to taste.

This was an experiment on altering Sukiyaki. I think it turned out pretty well.
We had ours for lunch & let it continue to simmer until dinner. The longer it cooked the better it taste. By dinner time the meat was extremely tender, but it was hard to tell the meats apart. This served 5 people for 2 meals & still had leftovers. This was a nice way to spend a day with friends & everyone was involved in preparing the dish.

Things to do different next time. (I have altered the recipe to reflect the things we would change.)
The potatoes needed more time to cook.
Less tofu (we added 2 packs - 1 would have been better).
Less cooking wine & more soy sauce.
Maybe less water at the beginning.
More udon noodles.

Kayxx - Vanilla cake in a mug - page 1

SPOILERX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayxx View Post

It's for vanilla cake in a mug!

4 tablespoons of sugar
6 tablespoons of flour
3 tablespoons of water
3 tablespoons of oil
A dash of Vanilla extract & or Rosewater
1 egg
1 large mug
I like to mix the wet stuff and the dry stuff separately, then add the dry stuff to the wet stuff. I don't think the order matters too much though. Next you just microwave for 3 minutes, and eat when it cools. Or before, whichever~

Ling's Cheesecake Muffins - from page 2

SPOILERX

Quote:
Anyway, I have a recipe for cheesecake muffins.

Ingredients:

250g cream cheese (the more solid type not the spreadable kind)
125g unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups caster sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
pinch of salt

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 180℃ and grease 18 muffin tins.
2. Beat the cream cheese, butter and caster sugar together with an electric beater until pale.
3. Add eggs one at a time while continuing to mix the cream cheese mixture.
4. Add vanilla extract
5. Fold in flour and pinch of salt
6. Spoon mixture into muffin tins
7. Bake for approximately 25 minutes until golden and middle pops up when pressed.
8. Leave to cool on a cooling rack

Hawaiian Macaroni Salad from Hummy - page 2

SPOILERX

Quote:
-recipe from Cook’s Country Magazine

Hawaiians cook their macaroni until it’s “fat,” or very soft. Turns out they know what they’re doing. Here’s what the Test Kitchen discovered:

•While overcooking the pasta seemed like a bad idea, it actually enabled the macaroni to absorb more dressing.
•The dressing had to be thin enough to soak into the pasta. We used an equal amount of mayonnaise and milk, and we used a lot—a full 2 cups each—to get the right texture.
•To prevent the cider vinegar from curdling the milk, we poured the vinegar directly over the hot macaroni.
•After the vinegar soaked in, we poured on about half the dressing, gave the mixture a stir, and let it cool. We then stirred in the remaining dressing and added grated carrot, chopped celery (for crunch), scallion, a bit of brown sugar, and some vigorous shakes of salt and black pepper.
•Don’t use low-fat milk or mayonnaise because it will make the dressing too thin.

Serves 8 to 10

2 cups whole milk
2 cups mayonnaise
1 tablespoon brown sugar
Salt and pepper
1 pound elbow macaroni
1/2 cup cider vinegar
4 scallions , sliced thin
1 large carrot , peeled and grated
1 celery rib , chopped fine

MAKE DRESSING: Whisk 1½ cups milk, 1 cup mayonnaise, sugar, ½ teaspoon salt, and 2 teaspoons pepper in bowl.

COOK PASTA: Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot. Add 1 tablespoon salt and pasta and cook until very soft, about 15 minutes. Drain pasta and return to pot. Add vinegar and toss until absorbed. Transfer to bowl. Cool pasta 10 minutes, then stir in dressing until pasta is well coated. Cool completely.

MAKE SALAD: Add scallions, carrot, celery, remaining milk, and remaining mayonnaise to pot with pasta mixture and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to serving bowl and refrigerate, covered, for at least 1 hour or up to 2 days. Serve.

Hush Puppies - page 2

SPOILERX

Quote:
Ingredients

2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup white sugar
1 large onion, diced
1 cup self-rising flour
1 cup self-rising cornmeal
1 quart oil for frying

Directions

In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, sugar, and onion. Blend in flour and cornmeal.
Heat 2 inches of oil to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C). Drop batter by rounded teaspoonfuls in hot oil, and fry until golden brown. Cook in small batches to maintain oil temperature. Drain briefly on paper towels. Serve hot.

D A R L I N G's Orange Chicken w/Orange Pecan Sauce - from page 3

SPOILERX

Quote:
4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
1/2 Quart of Orange Juice

1/3 Cup Orange Juice from Concentrate
1/3 Cup Margarine
2 Tbsp Teriyaki Sauce
2 1/2 Tbsp Packed Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Chopped Pecans

First marinate skinless, boneless chicken breast in orange juice for thirty minutes. I like to put them inside a ziploack bag, but you can also use a deep pan. Don't forget to refrigerate!

While the chicken is marinating, begin your sauce.

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine your thawed orange juice from concentrate with your margarine and teriyaki sauce. Bring to a simmer then stir until well blended.

Carefully add your brown sugar. Taste your sauce as you go - you may prefer less or more sugar than recommended! (Is there a bitter after taste? Add more sugar!)

Stir sugar into sauce until well blended. The sauce may or may not thicken (depending on the amount of sugar added).

Remove from heat and add pecans. Cover.

Remove your chicken from its marinade and place into deep pan. Add a little of the orange juice if you'd prefer. Broil until finished. (Cook time varies! My oven takes me an hour to cook six chicken breasts.)

When the chicken is done, it should be white and moist on the inside and very pale on the outside (mostly white with a hint of yellow). If it browns, then the chicken may be too tough.

While your chicken is cooking, prepare your sides. Garlic mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables go well with this dish!

Once the meal is complete, allow your family/guests to pour the sauce over their own chicken. It's a sweet sauce, and some may prefer less than others. Don't worry about presentation - the white orange chicken is gorgeous!

Recipe links

finished up to page 6

Last edited by Miscreant74; 01-26-2014 at 01:11 PM..

Damia Flagg
(^(エ)^)
Penpal

Old 01-14-2012, 08:57 PM

My wonderful friend hummy: helped me find this recipe. It is one that my Grandmother used to make every Christmas. She would make it up & try to get all her grandchildren to come over & decorate them. I have tried to find this recipe for several years. It always makes me think about my grandmother & has so many good memories tied to it. Grandma was not good about sharing her recipes with anyone.

"Homemade Salt Dough Ornaments

½ salt
½ water
1 cup flour

Knead until its elastic.
Roll out to ¼ thickness.
Use a cookie cutter & a straw to make the hole for the hanger.
Bake at 200 degrees for 4-6 hours.
Decorate as you want.
Can be varnished to help preserve them. "

*note this recipe is not to be eaten, it is used to make decorations only!*

Last edited by Damia Flagg; 01-15-2012 at 03:31 AM..

Kayxx
I thought what I'd do was, I'd p...
Send a message via MSN to Kayxx

Old 01-14-2012, 09:55 PM

Hi hi Damia! I just thought I'd pop in here and drop a recipe I found some time ago.

It's for vanilla cake in a mug!

4 tablespoons of sugar
6 tablespoons of flour
3 tablespoons of water
3 tablespoons of oil
A dash of Vanilla extract & or Rosewater
1 egg
1 large mug
I like to mix the wet stuff and the dry stuff separately, then add the dry stuff to the wet stuff. I don't think the order matters too much though. Next you just microwave for 3 minutes, and eat when it cools. Or before, whichever~

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 01-15-2012, 01:36 AM

*sniff, sniff, sniff*
ummm, smells so yummie in here!
i'll find s pepper cookie recipe to post.

thank you for pinging me, Dami sweetie.

edit: ps. if you are not posting your own recipe you should probably put them in quote tags.
i could be wrong, though.
*bookmarks threadie*

Last edited by hummy; 01-15-2012 at 01:41 AM..

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 01-15-2012, 10:29 AM

@llonka~~do you have any recipes to share, sweetie?

llonka
Momma to the Crazies!

Penpal

Old 01-15-2012, 07:41 PM

hmm i've been looking up a lot of new recipes, anyone ever try hamburger pie? :)

Clorissa
I'm a little teapot short and st...
Send a message via AIM to Clorissa Send a message via MSN to Clorissa

Old 01-15-2012, 08:56 PM

Hello!

Ooooh a recipe thread! This is a place for me!
I don't like to bake much
But I do enjoy recipes
Food
And cooking of every other sort!

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 01-15-2012, 11:13 PM

and hummy will eat it all.
perfecto!

Damia Flagg
(^(エ)^)
Penpal

Old 01-15-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llonka View Post
hmm i've been looking up a lot of new recipes, anyone ever try hamburger pie? :)
My Mom used to make a cheeseburger pie.
It has been years since I had it, she would sneak vegetable in it such as green beans.

I will see if I can get her to remember the recipe.
I know it was ground beef, I think pizza or spaghetti sauce, pie crust, Italian seasoning & shredded cheese.
She is trying to remember the recipe, but this is what we can remember. I will edit again if she remembers something else or finds the recipe. The cooking time my be a little off.

1 lb of hamburger meat cooked & drained
1 jar of sauce pizza or spaghetti (personal preference)
Season to taste (like you would for either pizza or spaghetti)
Can of green beans

In a skillet cook the hamburger meat thoroughly.
Drain off the grease & return it to the skillet.
Mix the drained hamburger meat with the sauce & season to taste.
Mix in the vegetables & heat up the mixture.
Then place in pie crust.
Sprinkle with cheese.
Bake at @ 350 degrees for about 20-30 minutes & check to see if it is thoroughly heated.
Cheese should be good & crispy.

Links:
Taco soup

SPOILERX

Last edited by Damia Flagg; 11-11-2015 at 01:23 AM..

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 01-16-2012, 12:02 AM

that sounds good, Dami.
and a good way to get kids to eat vegetables, too.

Damia Flagg
(^(エ)^)
Penpal

Old 01-16-2012, 03:09 AM

Here is a low calorie & easy to make idea Miscreant & I came up with.
Most of the time our recipes are not an exact science, we experiment a lot & don't measure much. :)

A pack of fresh mushrooms sliced (or you can use a can)
4-5 green onions chopped
added to bouillon broth (any flavor)
It depends on how strong you want it, normally use 6-7 cubes in 4-5 cups of water.
Or a couple of cans of broth.

Bring it to a boil & then it should be ready, you can adjust the cooking time depending on how well you want the mushrooms cooked.

If you are on a diabetic diet mushrooms, green onions & bouillon are all considered free foods.
The only problem with bouillon is the higher salt content.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 01-16-2012, 03:46 AM

*hummy makes the yuckie face*
mushrooms belong on the axis of ebil list for foods.

llonka
Momma to the Crazies!

Penpal

Old 01-16-2012, 04:00 AM

hmm we need to find low calorie/low fat recipes. (and not tell hubby :ninja:) i think i'm gonna start buying lowfat foods. :yes:

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 01-16-2012, 04:06 AM

yeppers.
like lowfat cheese slices,
just take them out of the packaging.
they don't say anything on the clear wrapper.
bake things instead of frying them.
and make things instead of frozen foods.
hummy's best suggestion is doing sweet potato fries but you bake them instead of fry.
they are delicious and so good for you, too.

Damia Flagg
(^(エ)^)
Penpal

Old 01-16-2012, 04:20 AM

@ llonka - Reduced fat milk is one easy thing to change, you can save 30-50 calories per glass.
Although I have never been able to take that last step to Skim Milk.
Sneak in low fat foods & more vegetables where he's not expecting them.

@ Hummy - I don't like sweet potatoes, I don't know why I just never could get a taste for them.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 01-16-2012, 04:23 AM

aw, that's so sad, Damia Flagg.
hummy eats sweet potato from the microwave.
she just microwaves them for like five minutes under a bowl.
easie peasie.
she doesn't use any butter or anything.
just plain and hummy eats the skins and all.
*ponders this action*
she sounds like an animal!
;p

llonka
Momma to the Crazies!

Penpal

Old 01-16-2012, 04:28 AM

i do bake our fries and tots, easier for me to digest. oil and grease tears me up! having no gallbladder is horrible sometimes. we do need to buy low fat milk, which i plan on getting next time. whether he likes it or not. would help a lot i think. he went shopping with me last time and that was a bad idea. he spend all my grocery money for the month in one trip!

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 01-16-2012, 04:36 AM

hummy uses skim milk when she uses it.
milk does not like hummy one little bit.
but the lactouse intolerent milk is crazy expensive.
so hummy usually eats her cereal dry.
multi-grain cheerios rock dry!

Damia Flagg
(^(エ)^)
Penpal

Old 01-17-2012, 04:26 PM

When money has been tight we have got the powder milk, it's not my favorite thing, but if you add a little bit of vanilla flavoring to it that makes it taste better.
Only cereal I like to eat without milk is Apple Jacks & Honeycombs. They make good snacks that can be easily carried around. Most of the time the store brands of both are pretty good.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 01-17-2012, 10:16 PM

ah, i forgot to get milk today.
puppie-to-be-named-later needed more pig ears.
if she doesn't have them she chews on me~yikes!

Damia Flagg
(^(エ)^)
Penpal

Old 01-19-2012, 03:23 AM

Bad no name yet puppy its not nice to chew on Hummy.

I really need to get back to baking/cooking sometime soon, but work has been a little crazy & by the time I get home I don't want to do much of anything. And its so cold right now, I just want to get under the blanket with the cat & take a nap.

I got some cookies for Christmas that I would love to have the recipe for, but I haven't been able to get the people to share the recipe. They were delicious, coconut & white chocolate. Does anyone have a recipe for them? I would really appreciate any information if you know this recipe.

llonka
Momma to the Crazies!

Penpal

Old 01-19-2012, 03:37 AM

i'm sorry i don't have that recipe. :( wish i did, sounds pretty tasty!

Damia Flagg
(^(エ)^)
Penpal

Old 01-21-2012, 10:53 PM

I tried to get a recipe from a lady today. It was one that her sister (who died last year) used to make when I worked with her. It was a baked macaroni. It was very tasty & cheesy. The lady was happy to tell me the recipe, but she only knew the ingredients, not a single measurement. T_T

So does anyone have a good recipe for baked macaroni?

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 01-21-2012, 11:01 PM

you mean like macaroni and cheese, Dami?