Sutetchi
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-11-2013, 05:23 AM

Composer/Director Joe Hisaishi

A tiny bit about him...

Mr. Hisaishi, or Mamoru Fujisawa, has albums recorded from as far back as 1981. He has composed many different genre types; including experimental, minimalist, and classical. You may recognize from one of the videos below, that his songs are from films created by the esteemed film director Hayao Miyazaki, creator of such films as Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, Ponyo, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro, etc. Not only is he a director, but he also plays the violin and piano/keyboard.

What do you know about him?

Have you ever heard of him before, and if so - what do you know about him? Are there any specific songs you enjoy that he composed or wrote? Tell'z meh!

Do you like his music or music style?

I personally like his piano, accompanied by violin, pieces. Normally instrumental, although Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea was cute too.

Some of his songs...

Last edited by Sutetchi; 05-11-2013 at 05:26 AM..

ClockReject
(^・o・^)ノ”

Penpal

Old 05-11-2013, 05:55 PM

-flails-
I have all the works he has done for Studio Ghibli,
since I don't get to watch the movies very often,
his music makes up for it.

Sutetchi
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-11-2013, 07:20 PM

Hagchgfluhb
You lucky little bean!
I suppose in my case, it would sort of be the other way around though, which isn't bad though, but I must say - I do envy your collection of his albums

ClockReject
(^・o・^)ノ”

Penpal

Old 05-11-2013, 11:27 PM

Sute; I use to have the whole Ghibli movie collection up to 05 in original Japanese,
but then my ex lost it, or well, never gave it back and claimed she didn't know what happened to it.
; _____________________;

my collection is actually all on my computer.

Sutetchi
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-12-2013, 01:03 AM

The horror!!! I'm sorry you lost your collection.

No words can describe such dreadful treachery! We must load the canons!

At least you have the rest on you computer.

Fox Demon Areiku
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-12-2013, 11:51 AM

First let me say that Hisaishi is by far my most favorite composer. I can’t count the joy I had so far listening to his music. Sounds cheesy, but is true.

He writes some of the most amazing music ever, and sooo should have been nominated for many Oscars, if his films had received enough recognition in the U.S. This is another result of course of Disney's unfortunate little promotion of Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, etc...

He writes many themes with piano central to it, but usually with lots of string instruments as well...If you're into film scores, download the roughly 6 minute piece "Rain" from Kikujiro's Summer...I kid you not, if you like this stuff, this is probably my favorite piece of film music EVER...(I've never actually seen kikujiro's summer tho)...

His music for Castle in the Sky is some of the best as well, a very sweeping orchestral score, and as many of you may have heard when Princess MOnonoke came out, the score was highly praised....

And My Neighbor Totoro has some lighter, but still fun pieces.

His score for Spirited Away is just as incredible, though not his best. In my opinion, out of the scores I've heard so far this year, Spirited Away ranks just below Catch Me If You Can, and just above Far From Heaven. (I still haven't heard The Hours score or LOTR: Two Towers score) It's much more personal sounding...

Honestly, anyone who is a fan of film instrumental, listen to his pieces...they are some of the most stunning pieces of art in all of film music world.

Sutetchi
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-12-2013, 09:28 PM

Oh wow, you know a lot about him. I'll definitely check out his six minute piece, Rain! I like his song used for the theme of Howl's Moving Castle; which I would have right with Castle in the Sky, but under Oriental Wind.