View Single Post
pprmint
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-31-2009, 10:12 PM

Silence
Username: pprmint
Word count: 396
Entry: Tonight, the sky is dark. Nothing important happens at night anyway. I shiver and suddenly realize that I had forgotten my jacket at the Halloween party back at my friend’s house. What a shame. I’ll just pick it up tomorrow.

I sigh and glance at the sky as I hurry down the street. Hopefully it doesn’t rain tonight. As I approach the house, I see a figure standing on my front porch. How odd. It’s too late for trick-or-treaters. I walk up the front steps and stare at the grotesque creature. It’s drooling blood. I’m a little disgusted, and make an attempt to shoo it off my front porch. Instead, it hands me my jacket. The jacket I’d left back at that Halloween party.

“Jane? Is that you? Oh my god, you should have gone trick-or-treating in that costume,” I squeal, “Come on in, it’s really cold. Here, wait, let me get my keys.”

I stumble and look down. It’s a limb.

“Wow Jane, you went overboard this year. I mean seriously.”

I bend down and pick up the arm to inspect it. I laugh as I see a silver chain.

“It even has jewelry,” I chuckle.

I inspect that chain and nearly drop the arm. It’s Jane’s bracelet. I glance over at the menacing creature. It’s not Jane. I know it’s not. Flinging the arm to the ground, I race down the front steps of my porch. Run.

Where is the safest place? As I run past Jane’s house, I chance a look. The lights of her house are on. Her parents’ car is in the driveway, and yet the house is quiet. The house is calm. I trip and land face down on the cold hard pavement, and yet I feel no terror. Perhaps the tranquil atmosphere of Jane’s house has calmed me, and so I watch as the monster draws nearer. It’s Jane. There’s no doubt about it. Only Jane would go so far to scare me on a Halloween night. But tonight, I’ll humor her. I’ll fight back. I reach for the object I tripped over. It’s wet. I’m certain it didn’t rain tonight. I look.

A silent scream rips from my throat as I drop Jane’s bloody head. And the creature is upon me, its gnarled claws at my throat.

Tonight the sky is dark. Nothing important happens at night anyway.