7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 1 2 3 4

Find Blog Entries by Zephiyr

Nail care and why we should do it more!

Nail care and why we should do it more!

Posted 10-24-2009 at 04:48 PM by Zephiyr
You asked for it and here it is, (don't say I never gave you anything!) how to take care of your weak and brittle nails. I'll tell you how you can make them stronger and harder so that they are presentable at social gatherings and events ;)

Good nail care can be pretty easy, as long as you have a good balanced diet and drink plenty of water, they almost take care of themselves. All you have to do is keep them trimmed on the sides. So, here's your guide to healthy nails:

Start taking a multi-vitamin to make sure that you are getting calcium, iron and potassium in your diet. If you don't like taking pills then consider eating more seafoods and dairy products. Since your nails are made of keratin, which is a protien, you want to make sure that you are getting enough meats and nuts!

Take a little time each day and apply a lotion to your hands and cuticles, a good one to use is anything with cocoa butter. Try not to use too much scented lotion or ones containing alcohol, these can slowly damage the nails and make them more brittle.

Make sure to wear gloves whenever you can when you are working with chemicals. Even glass cleaner is harmful to your skin and nails.

If your nails are splitting and chipping and breaking off all the time, it could mean that you aren't drinking enough water! Your daily water intake should change depending on the weather and what kind of activities you are doing, but remember, just because it's cold doesn't mean you don't have to drink water!

If you put nail polish on make sure to take a break when you change them. Your nails need a chance to breathe every once in a while, too. If you don't use nail polish that much, consider applying a thin coat of clear polish on the weekends and removing it on monday. A clear coat will actually help protect your nails and makes them seem a little thicker and stronger until your diet balances.

Avoid biting your nails! I know that this can be tough, some people do it without thinking about it or do it when they get nervous. It's a really gross habit and with all the bacteria that collects under your nails, could make you sick. If your nails need to be trimmed, use a nail clipper. Practice good hygene and you won't look like you just came out of a jungle when you are in front of people.

There is a special cream for your cuticles, they mostly use it if you are going for a manicure. It's really good for them, and you should try to trim your cuticles at least once a week with a cuticle trimmer. I've never actually used one myself but my cuticles stay pretty short. You can pick one up in the health and beauty section of almost any store near you if you're interested.

Also, make sure that you are getting enough vitamin B. If you're not, one of the tell tale signs is that you have ridges along your nails. This also makes your nails weaker because they are not growing properly.

Trim your nails at least once a week, you will probably end up doing it twice a week once they are growing nicely. Try to cut them so that they are only slightly rounded or squared off in the front, it makes them more stable and less prone to breaking. Make sure when you cut your nails, don't cut too far down on the sides, this could cause your nails to become ingrown or infected. If that happens it will have to be removed! You've been warned :shock:
Comments 1
Total Comments 1
Comments
Old Comment Posted 10-28-2009 at 09:54 AM
Helpful, however, I have heard that it's actually BAD to cut your cuticles...something about them groing back tougher and thicker....