Fauxreal
Fauxreal!

Old 03-20-2010, 04:31 PM

I think using canned foods make cooking so much easier. I love throwing in a can of soup - some raw meat and some veggies in the slow cooker and coming home to an apartment that smells so damn good cause it's been cooking all day!

When I make my pork chops this week - I know they will be slow cookered. ((Is that a word?... it is now!))

Estrella
A Refined Pervert
Send a message via MSN to Estrella Send a message via Yahoo to Estrella

Old 03-20-2010, 04:42 PM

I made a chicken pizza last night. I usually only do a chicken pizza when I have leftover chicken to use but it sounded so good. When I move back in with my aunt, I'm going to talk to them about doing menus for a few weeks out so that we can have a plan of who's going to cook and what we're going to make. And I'll probably have to do a chore chart just because I know my two cousins (both male) are bums and won't clean anything until they're told to and that's just not gonna' fly with me and my two year old there.

The thing I dislike about menus is I can never think of foods when I sit down to make one. I tend to repeat meals a lot too.

BAGEL SANDWICHES ARE THE BEST! I love to make turkey-pepperoni sandwiches on bagels. Yummers.

Leerah
(^._.^)ノ

Old 03-20-2010, 04:47 PM

I made a regular ham and cheese sandwich last night~ xD

I'm pretty bad in the kitchen, so I'm afraid of trying to make difficult things.

Estrella
A Refined Pervert

Old 03-20-2010, 04:57 PM

I can manage to screw up a recipe the first time around. xD

Fauxreal
Fauxreal!

Old 03-20-2010, 05:01 PM

I was making eggplant and COMPLETELY screwed it up. It was so awful and Travis still tried to eat it - bless his heart. Yes, we call mess up a recipe.

I wonder if I can wait till tomorrow to do groceries. *smirk*

Leerah, I bet you are not that bad in the kitchen. And it's almost lunch time!

Estrella
A Refined Pervert

Old 03-20-2010, 05:03 PM

XD I once made some biscuits and gravy and used the wrong end of the pepper. My exhusband still ate it; I did not.

Jaz
Death warmed over

Old 03-20-2010, 05:09 PM

I think I am going to take the easy route for dinner tonight >.> I am going to make home made chicken noodle for dinner... Though I think I need some fresh carrots as the last time I used the carrots in our drawer they looked a little on the down hill side.. So they are probably gonezo now... I make that in the slow cooker ^_^ it is my best friend <3 I want to make homemade broccoli cheese soup soon.. Maybe on one of Dillon's days off next week ^_^

Estrella
A Refined Pervert

Old 03-20-2010, 05:12 PM

I made broccoli cheese soup once. It didn't work out too well. And it's one of my favorites. Quiznos is love for that soup. <3

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-20-2010, 05:50 PM

Awesome thread idea, Faux! :heart:

Fauxreal
Fauxreal!

Old 03-20-2010, 05:55 PM

Thanks Belly! <3

and OMGOODNESS! Quiznos Broccoli Cheese Soup = A NOMMING GOOD TIME! *so tasty*

I also love the Soupa Touscana at the Olive Garden. I want to go get some so bad!

I'm very much a soup kinda girl. I adore soup! When they ask you at your table, "soup or salad." Unless they actually say the soup of the day is exorcist split pea soup... I always get the soup.

Estrella
A Refined Pervert

Old 03-20-2010, 06:00 PM

My ex-sister-in-law makes the Olive Garden's potato soup. Oh lord. YUMMMM. I need to get the recipe from her.

And I usually get the soup when I got to Quiznos. <3 Loveeeee it.

Jaz
Death warmed over

Old 03-20-2010, 06:00 PM

I have my mom's recipe for Broccoli cheese soup... ^_~ it is the nom ^^ I've never had Quiznos though...

Man I didn't realize how late it had gotten the chicken noodle is kind of out now... I need to figure out what I can make for the little ones and I now that won't take forever to prepare ><

jehneefur
Jen

Old 03-20-2010, 06:09 PM

I just had a half a bagel with butter and artichoke spinach dip =3 nummy

Fauxreal
Fauxreal!

Old 03-20-2010, 06:12 PM

Bagels are the popular item for the day! Artichoke spinach dip = :drool:

Darn it all - I need to go get me some Olive Garden? Do they deliver? :XD

jehneefur
Jen

Old 03-20-2010, 06:15 PM

I don't think Olive Garden delivers- I know they do have a take-out, where you call in a order and then pick it up.

Fauxreal
Fauxreal!

Old 03-20-2010, 06:21 PM

I don't have a car. And the nearest Olive Garden is *so* not close to me. But I love the endless soup / salad / breadsticks combo.
:drool::drool::drool:

Jaz
Death warmed over

Old 03-20-2010, 06:21 PM

Our olive garden is all the way across town... And still on the newer side <.< I don't trust them yet >.<

Guivre
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to Guivre Send a message via Yahoo to Guivre

Old 03-20-2010, 06:46 PM

Olive Garden is kind of gross. D= I would just rather cook my own food or go to a real Italian restaurant. D=

For lunch I fixed up a nice tostada, beans, meat, lettuce, sauce, tomatoes. =D I'm trying to avoid using cheese as a condiment as we go into swimsuit season. D=

Fauxreal
Fauxreal!

Old 03-20-2010, 07:00 PM

Although - I would rather go to a *real* Italian restaurant, I just can't stay away from that Olive Garden soup! I'm going to have to try to make it one day.

And - *fie on swimsuit season!* *rofl* I have lupus so I actually am not suppose to go out in the sun so no beach blanket bingo for me. I don't mind though, I like to be pale.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-20-2010, 07:20 PM

I want to try to make Tom Kha soup.. that spicy stuff I looove to order in Thai restaurants. :drool: Anyone have any experience with cooking Thai food? I grew up cooking Italian and standard american stuff, and trying to cook Asian food intimidates me for some reason.

So far, this recipe from recipezaar.com looks promising:
Quote:
Thai Tom Kha soup (SERVES 8)

Ingredients

* 3 (13 1/2 ounce) cans low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
* 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk (regular, not lite)
* 2 stalks lemongrass, sliced in large pieces
* 2 tablespoons fish sauce
* 1 tablespoon shrimp paste (use anchovy paste as a substitute)
* 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon white vinegar
* 3 limes, zest of
* 3 limes, juice of
* 3 serrano chili peppers, chopped
* 2 tablespoons ginger, julienned in fine,short 1/4 inch strips
* 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
* 2 tablespoons brown sugar
* 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed in very small pieces
* 8 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
* 1 bunch bok choy, chopped
* 2 tomatoes, diced
* 6 ounces bean thread noodles, presoaked in hot water
* 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (leave the stems in!)
* 1-2 tablespoon lime juice, to taste (probably)

Directions

1. In 4qt or larger, heavy-bottomed pot, begin heating chicken broth and coconut milk on low-medium heat.
2. Add the other ingredients for the broth, down through the brown sugar, as you prepare them.
3. Bring broth to a slow simmer; never allow it to reach a rolling boil, and do not cover it at any time during cooking.
4. When broth is simmering, begin adding remaining ingredients starting with the chicken, as you prepare them in the order listed, stirring regularly.
5. Make sure the chicken is fully cooked by the time you add the cilantro--if you cube the chicken finely enough and use a normal length of time preparing the vegetables, this should not be an issue, but allow it to simmer a few extra minutes if necessary before adding the cilantro.
6. About a minute after adding the cilantro, taste the soup and add some additional lime juice as desired to punch up the flavor (maybe 1-2 T--don't overdo it!).
7. Serve immediately.

MeneatMomocon

Old 03-20-2010, 07:22 PM

We're eating chips here at Momocon. They're kinda nice.

Fauxreal
Fauxreal!

Old 03-20-2010, 07:23 PM

Wow - That does look like a daunting!

Cooking Asian food I also find to be very intimidating! When ever I see them cooking it on to there is always a lot of utensils I don't already have in my kitchen and a lot of smoke and sizzling.

Hi MeneatMomo! <3

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-20-2010, 07:30 PM

Tell us more about these chips, Meneat.. hee.

@Faux: I also find shopping for ingredients kind of difficult.. we have some great asian markets here, but I am a bumbling idiot when I go in there. There are way too many brands/varieties to choose from. I need a translator/little friend who can explain everything to me. But I will overcome this obstacle! Rawr!!

Chikuma
(・・^...

Old 03-20-2010, 07:30 PM

I LOVE FOOD!!! Especially red meat!

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-20-2010, 07:32 PM

Hi Chiku! :heart:

I need to go eat something, actually.. lol. Back in a few!