View Poll Results: How do you fell about CIs recolours being sold (particularly old ones)
I support this 95 67.86%
No way 8 5.71%
I'm undecided 20 14.29%
I couldn't care less 17 12.14%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 02-07-2014, 10:38 PM

I want to pick your brains!

We need information, and you are going to provide it -shines bright light in your eyes-

It's time to get some concrete opinions on recolours of past CIs; over the years a lot of wishes have been voiced, and a lot of requests have been made, for various CIs to be recoloured.

We've never actually sounded you all out to see if it would be something the majority would welcome though. So here we're starting that process. Gonna start with the basics with this thread, and see where things take us from there.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like, let's get this discussion going!

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 02-07-2014, 10:41 PM

Questions answered!

• Recolours of past CIs will NOT replace current CI releases. They will become Mennies items and most likely follow the same availability pattern.

• The same item will not be recoloured over and over again (unless it's persistently requested I suppose. Then if we do something because people bugged us for it, and it doesn't sell, we'll come round and break your windows.

• THERE WILL BE NO RERELEASING OF OLD CIS

• There is absolutely no intention of rolling out loads of recolours.

• We fully intend to involve you guys all through the process, these's going to be lots of polls and questions, deal with it B)

• Majority opinion will always decide what gets done, please respect that if this means the result is something you disagree with (this goes right across the board. Even if I really want a certain item recoloured, but most of you hate the idea, I'm not going to get what I want).

• We've said it many a time, but it benefits from being said again: Don't worry that we're going to do what Gaia does!

• Items will only be recoloured, not remade

• This discussion is about CIs only, please try not to deviate :)

• The potential devaluing of older CIs is entirely in your hands, do not forgot this. You are the people who buy and sell them.

Last edited by jellysundae; 02-08-2014 at 12:24 PM..

steelmagghia
Not ready for school to start!

Old 02-07-2014, 10:49 PM

Hope it's okay to post. I can tell you that Gaia did this. I came back and many, MANY people weren't happy with it at all. I really don't have an opinion either way, and I think that it's possible this would work a lot better here, since Mene seems to care about its community a lot more anyway. But I'm just a little leery after seeing so many people so very angry on Gaia.

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 02-07-2014, 10:54 PM

I'd love to see some colour variations on the Dryads Hollow backgrounds, or some silver and red on the steampunky stuff instead of constantly being forced to use goldy colours with red.

That being said, if it was overdone, it would quickly become an issue. I say... do the thing, but maybe one recolour every now and again, and alternate it with new cash shop items so it doesn't seem like you're out of ideas.

Pandora's Box
Everyone's Favorite Sociopath

Old 02-07-2014, 10:56 PM

I think it would be cool to recolor old CIs (mainly for people like myself who are still pretty new to Mene. We'd get to see some of the older stuff.) Just as long as we still get new ones too. As long as we keep a good balance between new ones and remade old ones, I love the idea.

M i r o
Comatose

Old 02-07-2014, 10:57 PM

I support this! It would bring them up to date.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 02-07-2014, 10:58 PM

Yeah, but Gaia just churns them out, don't they. If we went ahead with this we'd not be randomly recolouring everything just to try and gain money. We'd pick sets (or individual older CIs) that a number of people say they'd like to see in another colour, also, the thing we've mentioned before, making items that aren't in the best colour far more useable. My favourite example of this is the Garnet Dragon Sword; a totally bad-ass item, in a colour that does it no favours at all.

---------- Post added 02-07-2014 at 10:58 PM ----------

steelmagghia:

PrincessKasumi
Stalker Ninja
Penpal

Old 02-07-2014, 11:01 PM

I'm excited! :D I hope everyone says they support this or I don't car either way :D :D :D :D

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 02-07-2014, 11:02 PM

I kind of like the idea... If I have money for mennies at the time such recolors come out, I'd definitely be interested. I think people would be less unhappy about recolors than about rereleasing old CIs. I can understand people being upset about a re-release, especially if it was something they'd saved for. It's nice to have something special that not everyone has. It would probably be a good idea to have the recolors available only as long as a normal CI, just to keep them a bit rare.

That said, I know some people will have objections. I personally don't understand them, but that doesn't make their opinions invalid. And if those people with objections have more money to spend on mennies than I do, I reluctantly admit it's more reasonable for them to get more say in the matter than me, because I can seldom afford to support the site.

I guess what I'm saying is, overall I would love to see recolors of some old items, but I completely understand if people decide it's not feasible.

steelmagghia
Not ready for school to start!

Old 02-07-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellysundae View Post
Yeah, but Gaia just churns them out, don't they. If we went ahead with this we'd not be randomly recolouring everything just to try and gain money. We'd pick sets (or individual older CIs) that a number of people say they'd like to see in another colour, also, the thing we've mentioned before, making items that aren't in the best colour far more useable. My favourite example of this is the Garnet Dragon Sword; a totally bad-ass item, in a colour that does it no favours at all.

---------- Post added 02-07-2014 at 10:58 PM ----------

steelmagghia:
That sounds completely logical and helpful. It's just fresh in my mind because I tried to come back to Gaia at the same time I came back to Mene and it was...less than fun. Let's just say that I'm on Mene every day, and I haven't gotten on Gaia in well over a month. And I've only been back for like three months.
But I think Mene is fully capable in doing this in a way that is good and helpful to the community.

Roxxxy
Sex Bomb

Old 02-07-2014, 11:10 PM

Hmmm... I say do it. Why not? And some things would be awesome in other colors.
On a side note: I like the Garnet Dragon Sword and Helmet, and think they should be left as is >:P

wishie
Send me cheesecake

Pixel Pixie

Old 02-07-2014, 11:11 PM

Recoloring of old CI's won't overtake new content in the shop. To me, I see this as something that we'll do once in awhile through-out the year. There are some items that would be AWESOME in other recolors and we want to offer those options to you guys.

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 02-07-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellysundae View Post
Yeah, but Gaia just churns them out, don't they. If we went ahead with this we'd not be randomly recolouring everything just to try and gain money. We'd pick sets (or individual older CIs) that a number of people say they'd like to see in another colour, also, the thing we've mentioned before, making items that aren't in the best colour far more useable. My favourite example of this is the Garnet Dragon Sword; a totally bad-ass item, in a colour that does it no favours at all.[COLOR="lightseagreen"]
Perhaps people could petition for recolors, and get a certain number of 'signatures' to get qualified? That would give the community some say, and help get people involved in the process! I might be especially community-decision oriented right now, for some reason.

(Vote for the User Event Theme, everybody!)

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 02-07-2014, 11:18 PM

Yes as long as like wishie said it's only once in a while and doesn't stop any new items from coming out. :D

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 02-07-2014, 11:18 PM

Honestly- I think I'm going to be in the minority because I'm one of the few people who actually own most of the ancient CIs.

I can't say I'm too fond of the idea. I think it'd de-value the originals because everyone would be more interested in the "prettier" recolors.

:/ I also wish you guys would re-pixel some of the crappier looking old CIs- Like the Cloak of Healing or the Order Scarf- Instead of doing recolors.

llonka
Momma to the Crazies!

Penpal

Old 02-07-2014, 11:20 PM

Hmm I'd say I'm for it, but would the older items lose their value? I'd hate for that to happen. Though I do agree that the dragon sword colors are *cough* not desirable... red and green together always makes me think of Christmas. :P

Roachi
ϟ△⃒⃘

Penpal

Old 02-07-2014, 11:23 PM

Um i dunno i'm divided. I'd love to see the older items in recolors. But i'm also worried that it will devalue the older items as well. -torn-

Roxxxy
Sex Bomb

Old 02-07-2014, 11:30 PM

Maybe take a poll on each item? I dunno.
Wishie: Your siggy I have that T-shirt :D

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 02-07-2014, 11:31 PM

It really depends... because some items I feel should be left alone, while others like the Oriental Fan could really use an easier to use color.

So in order to recolor an item I think would take tact.

Like the King and Queen Crown, would be a definite no as well as the Order and Chaos items. While the Pudao may be able to endure a recolor. I think it really just depends on the item in my opinion and how hard it is to use in it's current color.

I think the primary concern will be devaluing of older CIs

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 02-07-2014, 11:48 PM

I'm kind of torn either way. It'd be neat to see what kind of things you could come up with, but at the same time I feel like it may end up to being overkill... You're talking with the person with a major collection OCD though.

I kind of like the idea of letting the community vote on options for the recolors. It may be a major pain in the tuckus, but then at least we would have more say in what gets recolored and because you'd have to poll us it would take longer for the recolors...

I guess as long as you guys stagger it out I'm cool with it.

maidenroseheart
Can I please come down? ~Simple ...

Old 02-07-2014, 11:52 PM

I would love this. Especially as some things would work great with my avatar but they are the wrong color scheme. My only concern is the inflation in the marketplace I have seen in the last 10 months. It used to be that if you wanted a CI, you had but to play games in the arcade until you earned the max 200... in 15 days you could afford a CI. Now... it takes an entire month minimum...

Cat Eye
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 02-08-2014, 12:02 AM

I'd be more supportive of a way to dye those items instead.

But that's just me.

Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Penpal

Old 02-08-2014, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Eye View Post
I'd be more supportive of a way to dye those items instead.

But that's just me.
Isn't that what a recolor is?

EDIT: Ohh... or did you mean if you had the original you could trade it in for a recolored version?

Liztress
Mommy Zellony's Lizard ♥
Send a message via AIM to Liztress

Old 02-08-2014, 12:13 AM

I'm undecided on this. Like mentioned above, I worry that a recolor would make the original item decrease in value. I don't want to see (as an example) something like the Oriental Fan go from its current value all the way down to 5k or 6k or however much the recolor would be valued via those who sell them in the MP. Not that i wouldn't mind the cost of some CIs dropping a little. Just not a huge drop.

Also, I'd wonder about how often/color options/ etc and how that will be decided. I assume they would cost he same amount of Mennies as all current CIs.

shinigamikarasu
(^._.^)ノ

Penpal

Old 02-08-2014, 12:14 AM

I think it's a great idea. As Jelly said before, some items are kinds difficult to use just because their coloring makes them difficult to fit with other items.

I can think of a few fun ones. Ink Blot might be fun to have a recolor of, with different colored inks. Or maybe some differently colored Gargoyles? Ones that would fit with the recent Naias and Calesco items' temples and caves?