Gary Stargazer
Kitsune of Lust
Send a message via AIM to Gary Stargazer Send a message via MSN to Gary Stargazer Send a message via Yahoo to Gary Stargazer

Old 08-29-2009, 05:36 AM

Hey look it’s a Harbor Fishing Guide & Discussion. :3

*Game Concept*

The objective is to catch as many fish as possible within two minutes.

*Controls*

So this is explained in the game but I will break it down again anyways just for completeness sakes.

Left & Right move your boat along the top of the screen.

Pushing Down lowers your hook. To raise it back up just release the down arrow

To catch a fish you need to aim the hook around their mouth region.

*The Fish*

A … TV .. well yea its a tv ... i don't think it works but it’s worth 500 points

It's a Cat Fish! Literally. If you catch it you also get the smaller fish it's chasing so think of it as two for one. It's worth 600 points too.

It's a ... donkey .. with an afro. It's Afrodonkey. I have also been told he is a bad ass.
By the way he is worth 600 points.

It's a Bunnyfish ... why not? It's worth 800 points.

The Carrot Crab is small and hard to hit. It's worth 800 points.

The Ethereal Manta is kind of fast but also worth 1200 points.

The Whalecow is my favorite fish, its totally awesome.
It's also worth 1200 points.

The brown Sting Ray is faster than it's green cousin. However it's also worth a whopping 2000 points!

Octi is evil I hate trying to hook this guy. He is fast and hard to catch. Worth 2000 points for your trouble though.

*Score to Gold ratio*

1000 = 1 gold
5000 = 5 gold
10000 = 9 gold
15000 = 13 gold
20000 = 18 gold
25000 = 22 gold
30000 = 28 gold
33000 = 30 gold

*Scoring Tips*

~Leave slow moving fish for awhile. Don't snatch them right away. You may be able to turn them into a combo later.

~Snag fast moving fish first!

~Always keep your eyes open for combo's dont just snatch up fish the second they appear.

~Remember a large point fish may not always be your best choice.
3 TV combo = 3600 points compared to that 2000 point sting ray.

~If you are aiming for a fish try to wait til it's close to the edge of the screen and lower your hook early to come up on it. You never know what will pop off the screen.

~Snag fast moving fish on the top whenever you can. They rarely make good combo material and are quick points.

~Try to get used to leaving your line in the water. Try to get used to bringing it all the way to the bottom and back up even if a fish is on top, this is good practice for later when you are going for big combos.

~The screen is not the barrier, you can actually move your boat slightly off the right side of the screen. I have actually scooped up fast moving fish that went off the screen this way but it takes timing and luck since you cant see your hook!

~Always aim with the point of your hook. don't look at the curve of it. Think of the the sharp point of the hook as your pointer when aiming for fish.

*Multiple Fish Bonus*
You get this point bonus the moment your fish land in the boat. If you have 3 or more fish hanging on your line when you get game over too bad you dont get it!

X1 = 300 points
x2 = 1000 points
x3 = 2100 points
x4 = 3600 points
x5 = 5500 points

(if you manage to hook more fish than this please let me know so i can fill in the score. :3 )

I think that should do for now. I will add more later. >:3

Last edited by Gary Stargazer; 09-29-2009 at 10:49 PM..

Rad Lionheart
(ó㉨ò)
Send a message via AIM to Rad Lionheart Send a message via MSN to Rad Lionheart

Old 08-29-2009, 05:51 AM

I just tried the game a few minutes ago, unfortunately I can't seem to get it to do anything.
If I hold or press the arrow down key it just hovers a second and reels in immediately.
I can move the boat around fine and dandy though, and it runs smooth.

Just can't play, because the hook won't lower even close to the water.
Is there something I'm missing? Cause I'm on the latest version of FireFox available to my distro (3.0.13 I think) 3.5 isn't available yet, probably won't be for a while, it's not a big improvement anyways.
And I know I have the latest versions of Flash and Java available for FireFox too.

Any ideas?
I'd really like to play it, I've been waiting god knows how long for a new fishing game on Menewsha. XD

Last edited by Rad Lionheart; 08-29-2009 at 05:54 AM..

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 08-29-2009, 06:06 AM

To respond to some of the things noted in the guide:

- Yep! That's Afrodonkey. He's a badass. ;)
- The rainbow fish is called the Ethereal Manta.
- Its brown cousin is a a Sting Ray.
- The last one is called the Octi.
- You're missing the carrot crab. :)

Rad - Are you holding the down key? Or just tapping it?

Rad Lionheart
(ó㉨ò)

Old 08-29-2009, 06:08 AM

At first I held it, it reels in immediately, then I tapped it, it reels in, and then I just pressed it once, and it still reels in immediately after.
I checked to see if it was my keyboard acting up too, but I can easily scroll up and down the pages with no problems either.

Gary Stargazer
Kitsune of Lust
Send a message via AIM to Gary Stargazer Send a message via MSN to Gary Stargazer Send a message via Yahoo to Gary Stargazer

Old 08-29-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK View Post
To respond to some of the things noted in the guide:

- Yep! That's Afrodonkey. He's a badass. ;)
- The rainbow fish is called the Ethereal Manta.
- Its brown cousin is a a Sting Ray.
- The last one is called the Octi.
- You're missing the carrot crab. :)

Rad - Are you holding the down key? Or just tapping it?

Thanks CK i added names and changes. And i had carrot crab's picture ready just forgot to add it. XD

Nekuyo
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via MSN to Nekuyo Send a message via Yahoo to Nekuyo

Old 08-29-2009, 06:29 AM

so far I can catch one fish. I don't know what I'm missing, I aim for the fish - do you have to get the hook RIGHT at the mouth? it can't be below it or anything like that?? Maybe that's where I'm screwing up.

Anyway. The game itself is cute, but I suck at it.

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 08-29-2009, 06:32 AM

Nekuyo - You have to hook at a very specific spot on each catch type. For example - the creatures with obvious mouths have to be hooked right on their mouths. The broken television should be hooked right where the broken glass forms a bulls-eye on the screen. It takes some practice to get it. And "close" is no cigar.

Nekuyo
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-29-2009, 06:34 AM

ah! Okay, I played another game and was able to actually get a score. A bad one - but now that I know how to play it I think I'll be able to get better.

Thanks CK ^_^.

Rad Lionheart
(ó㉨ò)

Old 08-29-2009, 06:36 AM

I tried again, but I'm figuring something is clashing with the down arrow key/flash/java/firefox that's causing it to release prematurely (No joke) so I don't know what to do now. :/
Sad day.

Insomniac
Janitor
Administrator

Old 08-29-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad Lionheart View Post
At first I held it, it reels in immediately, then I tapped it, it reels in, and then I just pressed it once, and it still reels in immediately after.
I checked to see if it was my keyboard acting up too, but I can easily scroll up and down the pages with no problems either.
A little birdy told me you run Linux. If this is true then you more than likely realize that Linux doesn't exactly offer native support for Linux. On a 64bit build you either run a beta of Flash or have it wrapped. The 32bit binaries are all well and truly outdated and Adobe seems to have little to no interest in working on them. One of the unlucky downsides of Adobe's lack of support is their poor implementation of keyboard interaction. In a Flash game where a lot of sustained keypresses are necessary this problem manifests itself as not correctly reading keys. Annoying I have the same problem as I run Fedora and see it every time I play. The workaround I found is to hold right (or sometimes left) before I begin to hold down. Even then it doesn't always understand what I'm inputting. The other alternative is to run Firefox through a VM via VirtualBox. I've found no issues at all through a VM.

Rad Lionheart
(ó㉨ò)

Old 08-29-2009, 06:46 AM

Ah I see.
I don't think I'd be successful in getting any VM stuff working though.
My computer is old and only handles the lighter stuff that Linux has to offer.
The best I can get it to do is run things like Emerald and Compiz (Though with only few of it's special effects)

And the only reason why I'm on Linux right now instead of Windows is cause my PC is a bit on the borken side, so I'm without a way to use Windows right now, Linux is only my learning experience and fallback OS.

I guess I'll have to make due without it for a while, I'll hopefully be getting a flashdrive with a WinXP installer on it from a friend, since my disc drive is shot (as well as a few other pieces of hardware in my PC) so I will finally be able to play games, have fun, and enjoy little things like this.
Whereas with Linux it's just a pain in the ass to get what I want to work. XD
But I'm getting better with it, that's a good thing, more hard times = more experience. 8D

Well thanks for your help anyway. :3

Tre Le Coco

Old 08-29-2009, 06:50 AM

This guide would be a whole lot more helpful if the text colour was readable against a white background...the cyan colour is really blinding

and thats pretty disrespectful what you've put next to the manta descriptions :| I would really suggest removing that, its not in very good humor at all

Rad Lionheart
(ó㉨ò)

Old 08-29-2009, 06:53 AM

Still too soon or what?

Okay here's something that actually startled me.
I've been playing it now, with using the Left/Right first that was suggested, but now it's starting to flash inverted colours and get fairly decent lag spikes which makes it a bit difficult to tell what's going on.

But that inverted colour freaked me out the first time. o.o

Last edited by Rad Lionheart; 08-29-2009 at 06:57 AM..

Gary Stargazer
Kitsune of Lust

Old 08-29-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tre Le Coco View Post
This guide would be a whole lot more helpful if the text colour was readable against a white background...the cyan colour is really blinding

and thats pretty disrespectful what you've put next to the manta descriptions :| I would really suggest removing that, its not in very good humor at all
I never did have much respect for the dead. XD

Cyan replaced with Green just for you Coco. <3
Comments nipped for the sake of not stepping on any ones toes.

Rad Lionheart
(ó㉨ò)

Old 08-29-2009, 07:07 AM

Where the hell is the Mantas mouth? XD I haven't been able to catch the thing and I've been all over and infront of it.

Gary Stargazer
Kitsune of Lust

Old 08-29-2009, 07:10 AM

I aim right under its chin between its two whiskers or whatever those two hangy things are. :3

I thought about showing the hit points on the pictures but i thought that might be too much and the mods would yell at me. Xd

And ... god damnit i just had 5 fish on the line pulling them up when i ran out of time. so i still dont have the value for that ><;

Rad Lionheart
(ó㉨ò)

Old 08-29-2009, 07:21 AM

Yeah, I finally got a Manta by accident, he was hidden behind the cat fish I was trying to catch. :V
Still don't know where it's mouth detection is. XD

Is it wrong I'm beginning to yell obscenities at this game? XD

Last edited by Rad Lionheart; 08-29-2009 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: MOTHER...

Gary Stargazer
Kitsune of Lust

Old 08-29-2009, 09:28 AM

By the way does playing this at all remind any of you older gamers of the game jaws on the NES? gawd that was a horrible game! but the side scrolling and all the rays ... ugh flash backs XD

Last edited by Gary Stargazer; 08-29-2009 at 09:36 AM..

Rad Lionheart
(ó㉨ò)

Old 08-29-2009, 09:29 AM

Jaws was a terrible game. :V

Tre Le Coco

Old 08-29-2009, 09:31 AM

if you catch 4 together you get 3,600 points :)

Gary Stargazer
Kitsune of Lust

Old 08-29-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tre Le Coco View Post
if you catch 4 together you get 3,600 points :)

thanks i will add that. :3

Antagonist
The Great Adversary

Penpal

Old 08-29-2009, 01:42 PM

Wow, another game!
The art for the fish are so cute! At first I didn't bother with the broken TVs because I thought they were minus points...like hooking up junk and getting fined for it. But then I reeled in one and found that it was worth 500 points o_o!
Highest combo I've got was three...and that was by a complete accident. I have no idea where to hook sometimes! Where are you supposed to hook up for the TV? And the Octopus? And the Whalecow? Some of their 'mouth region's are so vague >_<

xdark_secretsx
(◎_◎;)

Old 08-29-2009, 05:09 PM

Thanks so much for this guide. I love this game, it's so fun to play. :D

Nekuyo
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-29-2009, 06:13 PM

wh00t, I was able to catch a couple mantas finally. Those buggers are difficult.

But my high score is still only 16600 xD

Rylynne
your resident bonafide coffee ad...

Old 08-29-2009, 06:52 PM

My high score's now 27.5k. ^^;;
On my mule though, not on this account. xDD;;
Guess that's a big improvement though, since my first couple tries only yielded me around 4k each. >.>;;