View Poll Results: Who wins the contest in January?
WherededIGo 3 33.33%
Xavirne 2 22.22%
Lunna Dea 1 11.11%
ISOS Duke 0 0%
Kent 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

PrincessKasumi
Stalker Ninja
Penpal

Old 01-04-2014, 04:26 AM

Some of you may remember Triquetra's 100 word challenge from 2012 which end around may of 2013. Well I noticed Akabane was interested in it, but since they haven't been on since May, I figured I should do something like this if people are interested? Anyways lets get on with the contest shall we?

You guys feel like writing something with a 250 word limit? Maybe you want to brush up on writing skills, or maybe your a roleplayer who wants to step out from their roleplays and want to do something different. Well what ever the reason it doesn't matter. We all know what you want You're hear for those gold prizes. Who doesn't like free stuff? If you say me, I will find you. And I will smack you with my water noodle.

These contest are monthly. So expect to submit one every month if you like free money! :D

Last edited by PrincessKasumi; 02-01-2014 at 06:39 PM..

PrincessKasumi
Stalker Ninja
Penpal

Old 01-04-2014, 04:31 AM

Rules

*Mene rules apply
*If your story has a graphic setting such as drugs, gore (anything not against the rules) please post a warning.
*PM me your entries titled "PK Story Contest"
*There are theme/genres to choose from. You need to roll a dice, and whatever number it is, you find the number next to the theme/genre and write a story with it.
*You may enter up to two stories
*No more than 250 words, no less than 250 words.
**1/29/2014 Rule Amendment 5 words over the limit or under is allowed but try for 250 words. My reasoning is explained in the FAQ. but basically different word counting sites count different things while other doesn't. And to accommodate that, I've made this change.

Last edited by PrincessKasumi; 01-29-2014 at 02:26 PM..

PrincessKasumi
Stalker Ninja
Penpal

Old 01-04-2014, 04:35 AM

How to Enter
Send this form to me, with the title I stated in the rules.

[b][FONT="Arial"]Username[/FONT][/b]:
[b][FONT="Arial"]Genre(s)[/FONT][/b]:
[b][FONT="Arial"]Story[/FONT][/b]:
Voting
Answer the poll. I'll let you decide how the voting should go.

Use this dice form to choose a Theme/Genre to base/start your story..

[I]Rolling the dice!~[/I]
[dice]30[/dice]

Story Genres/Themes

1) Action
2) Adventure
3) Comedy
4) Crime
5) Military
6) Romantic Comedy
7) Zombies
8) Detective/Murder mystery story
9) Mystery
10) Romance
11) Fantasy
12) Medieval
13) Historical
14) Horror (i.e. anything supernatural like ghost, vampires, etc.)
15) Science Fiction
16) Thriller
17) Famous (i.e. pop stars, actors)
18) School
19) Animals
20) Drama
21) Sports
22) Travel
23) War
24) Disaster
25) Tragedy
26) Tragic Comedy
27) Swashbuckler (a adventure story with a great hero)
28) Space
29) Underwater
30) Car chase

Last edited by PrincessKasumi; 01-06-2014 at 07:30 AM..

PrincessKasumi
Stalker Ninja
Penpal

Old 01-04-2014, 04:46 AM

Prizes

600 Gold to the First place winner.

for 5+ Entries
375 Gold to Second place

for 10+ Entries
100 Gold to Third place.

PrincessKasumi
Stalker Ninja
Penpal

Old 01-04-2014, 04:47 AM

Entries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ling
Username: Ling
Genre(s): Underwater
Story:
Everyone knows of the story of the little mermaid. You know, the one who fell in love with a human man, met an evil sea witch with ulterior motives who magically replaced her tail with human legs in exchange for her voice, but also eventually was able to get her voice back and keep the legs in order to remain by her man’s side as a human woman because her father, who just happened to be the king of the sea, also possessed the magic to be able to transform her.

Well, I’m one of her older sisters, I’m the middle daughter, the fifth mermaid in the royal family of 9 sisters and I have a very different story to tell about life as a royal mermaid princess.

Unlike my youngest sister, who had always fantasized about living among the humans on the land above the sea level; I have always quite liked life under the sea. I’ve always liked the satisfying feeling of being able to swim with the fish, and being able to keep up with them. Also being immersed in the cold salty water, while admiring the beauty of the ocean and be able to hold our breath for prolonged periods such that we are able to live underwater.

I have also like that as mermaids we have a much longer life expectancy than human people. However, I’ve also noticed the change over the years as humankind have polluted the seawaters…
Quote:
Originally Posted by waytodawn
wayxtoxdawn:
Romance:
Seventeen:

"Seventeen"
She was perfect.
Her voice, her laugh, her smile, her face, her long straight auburn hair; she was constantly praised by her peers for her outstanding beauty. She was the light in her class and she knew how to make any conversation seem interesting. She was but seventeen.
He sat in the back of the class and observed her. Every day. She was beautiful. Not just beautiful in her looks, but he noticed everything about her; her quirks, the way she played with her when in deep discussion with her classmates and the shine in her eyes when she laughed.
He sat alone for lunch.
He thought of ways to approach her, thought of things to talk about, thought about sending her Valentine's admirer notes since the holiday was approaching. He would sit at his home desk and scribble notes, scratch them out, scribble again, then toss them in the trash. His love ached...
Valentine's Day
It is here! He dashed out his house door and made his trek to school. He was mesmerized by the scenery and felt at peace with himself, finally. He did it. Everything was going to be okay, he told himself. Today was the day...
Arriving at school
His smile would not fade. She would be there. She would finally know his love. He opened the door to the classroom and saw the ill students and the news hit him like a force field. She was not there. Smile faded.
She was but seventeen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethren
Username: Jethren
Genre(s): Car Chase?
Story: ---

(Using http://www.wordcounter.net/)

"Is it still behind us?" The young man, no more than his mid-twenties, with shaggy brown hair and a lean, athletic build - a man who, but for his wide-eyed, frightened expression, looked like he belonged on Exploration Corps recruitment posters - spoke in a voice that was strained, his words carrying a note of panicked uncertainty. White knuckled, he gripped the wheel and stared straight ahead. Designed for a slow, methodical exploration of the lunar surface, the buggy he and his companion rode in was never meant for the reckless careening the man subjected it to. Every jolt and shudder of the big-wheeled buggy shook him, his body tense and stiff.

His companion, a scrawny blonde in civilian clothes, no older than fifteen, glared daggers. "Of course it's still behind us!" she hissed, leaning forward for emphasis. "You can hear it over the engine, can't you? Do you think moon rocks make that sound?" Of course, she knew what he was really asking. He wanted her to look back, because he couldn't.

It wasn't that he was driving - there was a mirror in the cab he could have easily used - but for the same reason she didn't want to look either. What was back there, what had eaten two Exploration Corps rangers and a handful of colonists, the thing that wasn't even supposed to exist...it was just too horrible to look at. Something on a primal, instinctual level just wouldn't let her look back. The ranger was the same way.

Last edited by PrincessKasumi; 03-26-2014 at 04:52 PM..

PrincessKasumi
Stalker Ninja
Penpal

Old 01-04-2014, 04:48 AM

Previous Winners

JANUARY
WherededIGo (1st)
Xavirne (2nd)
Kent (2nd)
FEBRUARY
Skipped
MARCH
tba
APRIL
tba

Last edited by PrincessKasumi; 03-26-2014 at 04:53 PM..

PrincessKasumi
Stalker Ninja
Penpal

Old 01-04-2014, 04:50 AM

Post of Fame

For those who have won more than once.

Last edited by PrincessKasumi; 02-17-2014 at 06:09 PM..

PrincessKasumi
Stalker Ninja
Penpal

Old 01-04-2014, 04:50 AM

FAQS

[Does the story have to be a full story or can it be an excerpt?]
It may be a full story or a excerpt, which ever you feel you can pull off.

[These contests will be held monthly...is it safe to assume each time it'll commence on the first day of each month with the month to write the story and submit by the last day?]
Yes this contest will start on the first of each month, but I would like if the stories were submitted at the latest before the last day of the month. So a day before the last day of the month if you guys would, please.

[I am a newbie (totally), a bit hesitant but wanna join. It's open for anybody right?]
Yes, anyone is welcomed to join.

[I have no way of counting my words.]
All you have to do if you don't have a Microsoft Word version that counts your words for you is google word counter. But wait before you do that, I have on here for you. Well two of them. This one Word Counter was given by Xavirne. And it seems to precise with counting the words. The one I've always use was Word Count Tool. But it seem with the one I use it says everyone is over, but if I use the one Xavi gave, nobody is over. So just pick a word counter. And if you read this (it won't matter if you do or don't but I would like it if you do) please tell me which counter you used.
**Xavi explains the difference in word counters.**

Last edited by PrincessKasumi; 01-29-2014 at 02:24 PM..

PrincessKasumi
Stalker Ninja
Penpal

Old 01-04-2014, 04:51 AM

Didn't quite make it.

Honorable Mentions.

Ling
Lunna Dea
ISOS Duke

Past Stories.

WherededIGoX

[Username: WherededIGo
Genre(s): Sports
Story:
“It’s totally a sport.”
“No it’s not.”
“I’m telling you it is.” Jeffrey grinned and waggled his eyebrows at Samuel who sighed, rolled his eyes and looked away.
“And I’m telling you that ‘kissing’ is not a sport.” Samuel said definitively.
“Have you seen some of the crazy stuff they do man? Kissing under water, attempting daily tasks while kissing.” Jeffrey listed the reasons on his fingers.
“It’s still not a sport Jeff. They’re just idiots.” Jeffrey snorted at this. “Why are you so obsessed with kissing lately anyway, not getting enough from your girlfriend?”
“I think it’s weird that your 16 and not obsessed with kissing Samuel. And don’t mock me, my lack of a partner hurts me deeply.”
“That’s because I’m focusing on actual sport.” Samuel accented this by loudly shoving his sweaty sports clothes into his bag. They had stayed back for tennis practise (Jeffrey had tried to avoid it viciously) and were only just heading home.

They left the courts and opted for the more scenic route that took them through a park. If they hadn’t already stayed back late enough, they probably would have dropped their bags and played on the swing set and slide because in reality you’re never too old to do that no matter what the adults said. Or they might not of, because an older couple were sitting on the swings trying to make out in an extremely uncomfortable way. Samuel looked on with disgust.

“Okay, maybe it is a sport.”]

XavirneX

[Username: Xavirne
Genre(s): School -_-
Story:
School. It just had to be school. Of all the things to get, her 30-sided dice just so happened to land on 18. Clearly, someone was out to get her. A blue glaze went across the table to a portly boy with glasses and brown curls. He was the culprit! He had to be. Just then, a scoff came from her left. Orbs bouncing over to the face of her boyfriend, Hawkeye, she mimicked his scoff. “Oh, like you could roll better.”

Silence overcame the room. The table that sat five was cleared and the dice dropped. Hawkeye’s sapphire eyes looked on in awe as the dice rolled and rolled. Finally, it landed.

“TEN!?” His chair went flying backwards.

“WHAT! How is it that you get romance?! There’s nothing romantic about you. Boy, I could school you in romance.” Rising, the blond miss decided she would do just that. School him in romance. “First, Hawkderp, you need to realize that you must respect your woman.” Her hands trailed down her body. “And to do that, you buy her things. And tell her she’s pretty.”

“You’re pretty…. when you’re not angry,” he muttered.

A ruler came to his hands. “Ahem! Never sass-back your girl. And never pick bros and games over her. And when you go to kiss her, for the love of god, don’t drown her in your slobber!” Her hands tapped on the table. “And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how you school someone in the art of romance.”
]

Lunna DeaX

[Lunna Dea:
Travel:

The tickets had arrived in the mail just that morning, a trip to the Universe renowned resort in the Cats Eye nebula. James had not wasted time thinking about why he had won the tickets. He had not entered into any drawing in the last three year. As he packed he picked out each item carefully thinking about what he would wear it for. He reached the end of his packing and sat on the suitcase trying to close it. It was not like he had been trying to pack his whole wardrobe he thought. The case and bed below him groaned below him from all the weight. Sighing he opened it up and looked through all the items he had placed in it. There was no way he was going to have the best vacation ever if he had to change out a single item in the case.

A thought struck him and he rushed down the hall into his storage room. There among the bits and bobs from his parents life was the old suitcase. He had forgotten all about it while he tried to sell off the things he knew were worth something to pay for their graves now he was happy he hand not sold of it. Lifting it from the pile he wondered why it was so heavy. 'Does not matter. They didn't put a weight restriction on luggage.' he thought as he pulled it into his room. Opening it, it was full of Gold.
]

ISOS DukeX

Username[/b]: ISOS Duke
Genre(s): Tragedy
Story She wasn't even born when her family fled her homeland; a tribe, nay, a civilization of trolls that inhabited the regions of the North. The cold climates of the North were sure to be a warm welcome compared to the blistering seasons of the southern continents that the blue skinned woman had been raised in.

The trolls of the North were fierce and feared by all, even the troll alliances could not sway them to join their forces. A formidable foe in combat, there were nary a soul that would withstand a blow from the massive creatures. They were a proud race, often saying that they were bathed in the glory and riches of the gods.

After many days the troll's trip to her homeland was coming to an end. A dangerous, thick air settled about the cabin as the flying machine pulled to roost. Eager, the female disembarked, excited to be reunited with her own kin.

Around her was not the world she had expected. All around were the remains of a once strong and powerful nation, now withered away to near nothingness by a plague of some sort. The empire had fallen to ruin; the gods had long since abandoned the trolls of the North. She fell to her knees in despair as one of these trolls staggered out before her, mad from disease, his skin tattered and eaten through. No home lay anywhere for her now; her 'alliance' feared her for her kind, her kind no longer existed.]

KentX

[Username: Kent
Genre(s): Crime
Story: “Help me steal a penguin.”
Alex choked on the water she had just started drinking. She turned away from the fridge and stared at Tyler with wide eyes and an open-mouthed frown. “Are you serious?”
Tyler leaned against the counter and folded his arms across his chest. His dagger-like eyes suggested that he was plenty serious.
“Why the hell would you want to do that?”
He rested his elbows against the counter. “For Steven. He said he loves penguins. I want to get him one.”
“Didn’t he dump you? Are you trying to win him over again?”
Tyler’s eyes turned toward the cabinets in the corner, avoiding Alex’s inquiring gaze.
Alex sighed and placed a hand on her forehead. “Never mind. Do you realize how impossible that sounds?”
He stared back into her eyes. “I figured it’d be easier if someone who worked there helped me.”
She glared at him. “I just work at the store. There’s no way I can get you close to the penguin enclosure.”
He grinned at her. “I thought you had a thing going on with one of the guys working in the Oceans exhibit.”
A faint blush appeared on her cheeks, but she continued to glare at him. The longer he grinned at her, the harder it was for her to hold back a smile. She turned her face away and took a sip from her glass of water to try and hide her smile. “I can’t believe you’re asking me to steal a penguin.”]

Not Elgible - LingX

[Username: Ling
Genre(s): Medieval
Story:
A long time ago, in medieval times, there lived a young 12 year old peasant girl. She came from a small village and was bored of the routine life of working in the fields. Like most girls in the village she wore a kirtle, a long tunic that went up to the ankles. She had always liked to run and climb trees with the boys but found the kirtle, that she was made to wear because she was a girl, extremely restrictive.

One day she decided that despite expectations she would wear the kirtle, she would take her older brother’s clothes that he had outgrown and wear them. Once she managed to take her older brother’s clothes and find a hidden spot away from everyone else to change into the simple top and pants.]

Oh happy days!!

Last edited by PrincessKasumi; 02-17-2014 at 06:11 PM..

PrincessKasumi
Stalker Ninja
Penpal

Old 01-04-2014, 04:51 AM

And open! :D

numerica
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-05-2014, 11:38 AM

Are there any rules about genre, or will there be a monthly prompt of some kind?
I have done something in the past on another site where there was a list of 100 words or so, and you rolled dice to decide which word was your prompt for your next entry, which was kind of fun, because you didn't know what you were going to get.

PrincessKasumi
Stalker Ninja
Penpal

Old 01-05-2014, 10:31 PM

Nope, you can do any genre you want! But I may occasionally throw in a genre for everyone to do. And the dice sounds like fun, but I wouldn't know what to do.. unless you mean make a list of genre with numbers next to them and you roll the dice. Omg :D numerica you are brilliant I'm going to do that. But first ;3 I have some art freebies to finish. So be back in... 6 hours

numerica
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-06-2014, 12:29 AM

Is there a way to roll dice on Menewsha? The other site had a dice roller embedded in the posting system.

PrincessKasumi
Stalker Ninja
Penpal

Old 01-06-2014, 07:06 AM

yes

[ dice][/dice] no space, this gives u 6 sided

[ dice]45[/dice] this gives you 45 sided dice, you put any number in there, it goes up to 100

numerica
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-06-2014, 02:38 PM

Rolling the dice!~
The 30-sided dice lands on 30

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 01-06-2014, 07:54 PM

This looks like fun...I do wish the word count didn't have to be so exact..but anyhow.

Rolling the dice!~
The 30-sided dice lands on 27

PrincessKasumi
Stalker Ninja
Penpal

Old 01-06-2014, 09:52 PM

;D I didn't want to do 100, even though you can get a nice story excerpt with that, but it always leave you wanting more. xD And I still wanted it to be challenging! I'm not sure about having no word limit, there will be no challenge in that!

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 01-08-2014, 05:31 AM

I think a word limit is reasonable...what I think makes the challenge a little bit difficult is having the exact word count as 250 words without a bit of leeway.

I'll see if I can work on something anyhow...a 250 word medieval story it seems I've gotten...

PrincessKasumi
Stalker Ninja
Penpal

Old 01-08-2014, 06:44 AM

I know what you mean, when I have homework assignments the teachers want 500 words, exactly. And I spend quite a bit of time to try and rearrange things and make it 500 words whether I'm cutting out words or adding alot of fluff. Well let's see how this month goes. If it's really too much of a hassle to get 250, maybe we can have up to five words under or over?

Mikio
(・ω・)

Old 01-08-2014, 02:53 PM

250 words for a story? Does it have to be a full story or can it be an excerpt?

PrincessKasumi
Stalker Ninja
Penpal

Old 01-08-2014, 11:41 PM

It can be an excerpt from a story or a full story.

sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 01-09-2014, 12:08 AM

Rolling the dice!~
The 30-sided dice lands on 9

Just for curiosity to see what I'd get, not sure I'd take part.

---------- Post added 01-09-2014 at 02:08 AM ----------

... What the heck theme.

PrincessKasumi
Stalker Ninja
Penpal

Old 01-09-2014, 09:46 PM

xD Indiana Jones! GOGOGOG! xD

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 01-10-2014, 02:49 AM

One more question, these contests will be held monthly...is it safe to assume each time it'll commence on the first day of each month with the month to write the story and submit by the last day?

PrincessKasumi
Stalker Ninja
Penpal

Old 01-10-2014, 07:17 AM

Yes first day of each month, and I like if it was submitted before the last day of the month