shadowfoot
*^_^*

Old 04-15-2009, 10:57 PM

@Dream: Deerskin is a good one. It incorporates the darker side of fairy tales that everyone seems to forget...

Iltu
do you think pigeons have feelin...

Old 04-15-2009, 11:17 PM

shadowfoot- *steals your Diana Wynne Jones books* :angel:
Oh, well, if you weren't a big fan of Dragonhaven either... I guess I ought to try another book of hers sometime.

Dream_and_Die
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to Dream_and_Die

Old 04-15-2009, 11:21 PM

In my opinion fairy tales are meant to be dark. A story is perfectly capable of being dark and still have a happy ending (Cinderella), so stop with all the gooey-ness!
Sorry, overly happy books frustrate me.

Iltu

Old 04-15-2009, 11:31 PM

Dream- I tend to agree, I enjoy dark fairy tales quite alot! The Brothers Grimm are fantastic.

Hollywood
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 04-16-2009, 12:40 AM

Hey guys!
I'm needing a new book soon.
I am thinking that on friday I will hit the bookstore to look for something new, but until then I might start re-reading the Chronicles of Narnia.... or the hitchhikers guide...
I'm thinking Narnia though. Because thats like 7 books in one!

Sinister Sassy
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 04-16-2009, 12:57 AM

@ Hollywood: I've got a couple recommendations, if you're interested.

I've re-read one of the books on my list three times... how lame is that? Well, it's a pretty good book, and one of my duties at work is to read silently for about half an hour. ::shrugs:: But a friend at work has taken pity on me and keeps sending "must-read" books my way.

Last edited by Sinister Sassy; 04-16-2009 at 12:58 AM.. Reason: to make sense!

Iltu

Old 04-16-2009, 01:12 AM

I've been meaning to reread the Chronicles of Narnia! :gonk: But I get so caught up in other books and never seem to quite have the time.

Aislin
*^_^*

Old 04-16-2009, 02:09 AM

I'm back! Hello everyone!

@Hollywood: Ditto on what Sassy said-- let me know if you need recommendations! I know of a couple of series-books in the sci-fi fantasy genres that work for people who like Narnia/ Hitchhikers. I've been in love with the genres for awhile... always happy to talk books, if you're up for it!

Fairytale discussion: Yay for dark fairy-stories, yay! Although I've noticed I like my fairy stories to be cynical and humorous, when they're not busy being dark. I get an equal kick out of Grimm's (how many depressing stories can one possibly write about a tailor? They're hilarious and soul-crushing...) as I do out of cynical re-hashings of fairy tales. Think something along the lines of The Rumplestiltskin Problem and The True Story of the Three Little Pigs.

@Iltu: I love this av too! You weren't kidding when you said you change them frequently. :P

I'm trying not to re-read books, since my goal is to have 30,000 pages of completely new material read by 2010.... but I'm failing miserably with that, of course, since I periodically get really nostalgic and have to reread four or five books in a row. :angel:

Last edited by Aislin; 04-16-2009 at 02:11 AM..

Dream_and_Die
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 04-16-2009, 02:12 AM

@Aislin: The True Story of the Three Little Pigs... WIN! I always hated the pigs. xD

Iltu

Old 04-16-2009, 02:17 AM

Aislin- I'm awful at sticking to one thing for long. XD;

I, on the other hand, really should reread new books, but I always end up reading a new one instead!

Did you get your burrito? :P

Aislin
*^_^*

Old 04-16-2009, 02:35 AM

@Dream: Yes! They were rude, scared too easily, and jumped to conclusions much-too-much-too quickly.

We should start a campaign to Free the Wolf. :boogie: :hug:

Iltu: I did get my burrito. :) Bean and cheese, which I'm told is pretty boring, but the Taqueria I go to is absolutely fantastic-- plus the burrito itself is about as big as my forearm. It has of the num.

We have completely opposite types of book-ADD. :P Yours seems a lot more productive, though. What book are you reading right now?

If I see a book I like on a shelf, even, I have the weird compulsion to pick it up and start reading. No matter how often I've read it before. I can't tell you how many times I've been at Sunday dinner and had this conversation with my relatives:

"What are you reading?"
"Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix."
"AGAIN?"

It never fails. To the extent that the last time he saw me reading a different book at Sunday dinner (Memoirs of a Geisha), my Uncle Benny assumed it was a new favorite, wrote down the title, and bought me the movie poster as a gift.

Dream_and_Die
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 04-16-2009, 03:02 AM

@Aislin: Free the wolf! Yess. ^_^
I would reread books more often but I see new books and I have to get them. I mean I'll reread often, which is why I have to read like six books at a time.
"Oh, let's reread Gifts... :two chapters in: Oooh, look! A pretty new book!"

Woo! I got my 'reading now' list down to four! :3

Edit: I love how empty the thread is because of the Easter event... T_T

Last edited by Dream_and_Die; 04-16-2009 at 03:13 AM..

Aislin
*^_^*

Old 04-16-2009, 03:30 AM

@Dream:The Easter event is making the thread empty? How so?

I'm actually not really cognizant of the Easter event. I've been much more involved in the other ones. I dunno, maybe it's the pastel. Never did much like pastel-themed holidays.

Hmmm.... I could try to learn how to draw a wolf this week, and make us both little-pixel Free the Wolf badges. Such would be pleasing. Although probably inferior, looks-wise. :)

Have you read any other Sciezka kiddie-books? He's actually quite an entertaining fellow, as far as I can tell, and pretty prolific in kidlit. I've been browsing through his work at the kids' section of the Recycle Bookstore every time I go in. :heart:

Sorry I'm so sporadic in postage-- I've discovered a new fanfic involving Werewolf Rights. I should be ashamed that I'm reading fanfiction, but mostly I think the tiny werewolf OC is adorable.

Actually, in looking over this whole post, it seems I've become some kind of crazed wolf enthusiast... :sweat:

shadowfoot
*^_^*

Old 04-16-2009, 03:42 AM

I love well written fanfic--there are some good writers out there. Look at Cassandra Clare--she started out a fanfic writer(still does actually), and now she's published 3 very well received books--City of Bones, City of Ashes, and City of Glass. I remember reading her stuff back when she was just talking about writing a book.

Aislin
*^_^*

Old 04-16-2009, 03:52 AM

There are a lot of wonderful fanfiction writers-- but they're interspersed with enough fangirl craze that it takes some chutzpah to write, say, literary essays regarding fanfiction and address the ramifications of such to a scholarly crowd. Normally, said attempt would draw some tittering. Fanfiction as a whole, though, is beautifully fun. I used to be a fanficful-kid, but I read it less now-- and miss it, actually.

I never really did get into Cassandra Clare too much; I think I only read the first of the Draco series. I was, however, a worshipful fan of Maya back when she went by that pseudonym. I cannot wait for The Demon's Lexicon to come out! There have been a couple of fanfic writers who made the publication leap. They tend to get a pretty good feel for what readers want, given how writing feedback goes hand in hand with fandom at large.

You dabble the Potter fandom, then, Shadow? :glomp:

Dream_and_Die
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 04-16-2009, 04:42 AM

@Aislin: I should try to make a Free the wolf badge too! Maybe with the pigs in jail. xD
I'm a little wolf crazed myself (oh gosh don't look at my room). XD

Whoops this was sitting in the Quick reply box so long I forgot what else I was going to add. XD

Edit: Now I remember, Why is the thread slow due to the event? Well normally there are more people on here... and it goes by faster... Even on slow days there are usually just more people even if they only post once. I surmised it's because everyone is off at the Easter forums... or maybe they're just on spring break. XD

Last edited by Dream_and_Die; 04-16-2009 at 04:56 AM..

shadowfoot
*^_^*

Old 04-16-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aislin View Post
There are a lot of wonderful fanfiction writers-- but they're interspersed with enough fangirl craze that it takes some chutzpah to write, say, literary essays regarding fanfiction and address the ramifications of such to a scholarly crowd. Normally, said attempt would draw some tittering. Fanfiction as a whole, though, is beautifully fun. I used to be a fanficful-kid, but I read it less now-- and miss it, actually.

I never really did get into Cassandra Clare too much; I think I only read the first of the Draco series. I was, however, a worshipful fan of Maya back when she went by that pseudonym. I cannot wait for The Demon's Lexicon to come out! There have been a couple of fanfic writers who made the publication leap. They tend to get a pretty good feel for what readers want, given how writing feedback goes hand in hand with fandom at large.

You dabble the Potter fandom, then, Shadow? :glomp:
Oh indeed. I've written some myself.

FeyonaSaibre
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to FeyonaSaibre Send a message via MSN to FeyonaSaibre Send a message via Yahoo to FeyonaSaibre

Old 04-16-2009, 12:09 PM

I used to write Final Fantasy 7 fanfiction. I'd say about half my stuff was crazy fangirl inspired crap. But every once in a while I'd come up with something good. Like I had an entire storyline dedicated to Vincent taking over the team after the defeat of Sephiroth when a crazy former turk started attacking cities and engineered it so he made Cid go crazy. It was awesome and amazing and the funniest thing about it was years later they made a game about Vincent (Dirge of Cerberus). It cracked me up.

KatMagenta
Starlet on the rise

Old 04-16-2009, 03:50 PM

Dream: You've head the nail on the head for why I haven't been around. I'm not getting much reading done because of being on holiday from school; I'm going to bed so late I just fall asleep. XD

With so many events on other sites I'm finding it hard to earn enough carrots for the event items. I guess some of the staff members who post here will probably be busy helping out with the event too.

Edit: I have Howl's Moving Castle sitting on my computer desk. I haven't seen the film myself but I loaned it to a friend (that's why it's on my desk, I took it out of my bag and left it there) who loved the film but hadn't read the book and she enjoyed it. I remember her saying there are bits the book that are missing from the film, but because I have nothing to compare it to I can't really comment. >.<

I haven't actually read any DWJ myself in ages but I picked up a few cheap Chrestomanci books (20-30p) at my library book sale so I'll have to look at those sometime.

Last edited by KatMagenta; 04-16-2009 at 03:55 PM..

Iltu

Old 04-16-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aislin View Post
Iltu: I did get my burrito. :) Bean and cheese, which I'm told is pretty boring, but the Taqueria I go to is absolutely fantastic-- plus the burrito itself is about as big as my forearm. It has of the num.

We have completely opposite types of book-ADD. :P Yours seems a lot more productive, though. What book are you reading right now?

If I see a book I like on a shelf, even, I have the weird compulsion to pick it up and start reading. No matter how often I've read it before. I can't tell you how many times I've been at Sunday dinner and had this conversation with my relatives:

"What are you reading?"
"Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix."
"AGAIN?"

It never fails. To the extent that the last time he saw me reading a different book at Sunday dinner (Memoirs of a Geisha), my Uncle Benny assumed it was a new favorite, wrote down the title, and bought me the movie poster as a gift.
I'm not a burrito person myself, (taquitos and chimichangas for this girl!) but I'm glad you enjoyed your dinner! Big as your forearm!? Holy cow! that's pretty awesome. And mmmmm, food that large sounds really good right now... :drool: *is very hungy*

I'm reading The Vapire Lestat, which I have gotten halfway through twice. XD It's not that I don't like it, it's a fantastic book. I'm just easily distracted. I will finish it this time though, I've only got 140 pages left. *determined to finish it tonight* That way to can start The Sword of the Rightful King by Jane Yolen. And what're you yourself reading?

Haha, that's rather amusing! X'D Was Memoirs of a Geisha good? I keep meaning to read it... And then I forget.

Aislin
*^_^*

Old 04-16-2009, 08:03 PM

@Dream: I guess it does seem pretty heterodox for a lit-obsessed thread to be slow at any time.... Most people who like to read like to write. :P

Heee-- I'm with you. I have three wolf pillows adorning my bed at the moment. Blue and black and moon-wolf motif, for all of them.

@Shadowfoot: Woot! What kind? Novel-length, or more one-off oriented?

@ Fey: ... I wish I knew what that meant! I'm not even entirely sure what Final Fantasy is, although I'm getting some mental images of anime.

@ Kat: Yesyesyes! Chrestomanci is quite fun, and a pretty easy read because everything flows so well. I hope you like! :hug:

@Iltu: :boogie: I actually just had chilli, luckily, so reading this thread hasn't completely sent my appetite roaring.

Nevertheless: mmmmmm... chimichangas...

I'm currently, actually... dorkily enough... reading a collection of essays about Harry Potter. I just finished Bill Bryson's The Mother Tongue: English and How It Got That Way, which was hilariously entertaining. Bryson also wrote A Walk in the Woods, which I loved.

Plus I'm rereading Silverlock, which is this epic, fantasy-adventure-parody/allusion-laden-romp-of-fun. I quite love it.

I'd definitely recommend Memoirs. It's not light reading, though, like most of the books I love-- the novel is pretty emotionally charged, and it definitely falls into the category of true-blue-literature. Do you know the basic plot?

Should I read Anne Rice? I've spent the last couple of years trying really hard not to...

Iltu

Old 04-16-2009, 08:22 PM

Aislin- Oooo, essays about Harry Potter? That's not dorky, that's intriguing! I'd ask for the name of the book, but I always have a hard to sitting through essays... :gonk: Silverlock sounds fantastic. I need to read it. I like epic-fantasy-parody/allusion books. XD

Okay, then I'll definitely have to pick it up. I'm happy with light and heavy reading, so that shouldn't be a problem. And I love emotion/character driven novels, so that sound fabulous! I do know the basic plot, laregely from hearing so many good things about it!

Why have you been trying not to read her books? Perhaps I can answer you question better if I know the reason.

Dream_and_Die
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 04-16-2009, 08:41 PM

@Aislin: Oo; Do you shop at the Bradford exchange by any chance? I have pillows that sound very similar... I also have a comforter set. I feel like such a kid but I need wolves in my room. I have some little statues and little metal works along with a velvet painting. Plus since I sometimes sleep in the spare room I put up these wolf canteens in there. XD

I'm in the mood for quesadilla's now...

Aislin
*^_^*

Old 04-16-2009, 08:44 PM

@Iltu: If you're interested, it's Mapping the World of Harry Potter, and it references information through to book six. A lot of the book is your traditional fare, but some of it tickles me pink-- for example, there's a more-than-amusing essay entitled "To Sir, With Love" which discusses Snape's portrayal in fanfiction. That one had me laughing uproariously all through. :angel: The essays aren't aggrandized or dense. Nothing like the "Very Deeply Profesional And Intriguing" literary essays that most professors will chuck at you.

Yay for Silverlock! I hope you do like it-- the references include everything from greek mythology to Moby Dick, Alice in Wonderland, Huck Finn and Candide. Unbeknownst to himself, the main character ends up traipsing through "The Commonwealth of Literature." The book is fun in it's own right, but looking for the references can make the whole thing into a scavenger hunt experience when you reread. :heart:

Finding a copy can be rough, but there are plenty on paperbackswap and you can usually scrounge some up at used bookstores. :)

... ah, my avoidance. Hard to describe. I don't think I have a good reason, really; it's just your traditional "Vampire Book" stigma. I like campy things, circa Rocky Horror, but most novels with vampires in develop an Uber Camp Bodice Ripping Reputation into which I'm not sure I'm quite ready to delve. I actually don't know much about the books themselves. But what I don't know-- that's where the fear lies. :sweat:

New goal for self: babble less. Sorry!

@ Dream: :P Actually, my Oma made them for me. She bought the fabric at Hancock Fabrics-- it's an outlet, methinks, but I'm not sure if it's common outside of California. I've been pretty obsessed with wolves for awhile. When I was a little girl, my dad had a Husky named Sapphire, and I absolutely adored her.

There's nothing wrong with wolf-love! I don't have any statues of wolves yet. Pictures and bedding, though, I have aplenty.

.... Wolf canteens?
:eager:

Last edited by Aislin; 04-16-2009 at 08:47 PM..

Iltu

Old 04-16-2009, 08:59 PM

Aislin- Maybe I'll check it out then, if only just for the funny essasys! "To Sir, With Love" sounds hysterical.

Ah! I must find it! <3 It sounds delightful! Hopefully my library has it. And if it does not, I'll probably put in a form requesting that they get it.

Oh, I understand perfectly! As for the Camp Bodice Ripping Repuation (hehe, that reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from Odd Thomas!) Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicle novels are definitely sensual, but honestly, I couldn't pick up on anything more than suggestion. It's a bit more obvious in The Vampire Lestat, but still nothing that deters me. *nods*

Babbling is good!