Eastriel
(。☉౪ ⊙&...

Old 11-27-2010, 09:44 AM

I bought my first book in ages a few days ago, felt so good.
Then again I have enough to keep me going for a while anyway xD And I think my mum will go nuts if I bring any
more books home.

My best deal I've ever got for books in bulk was a set of 50 hardback classics book - like a set (including all the greats like austen, dickens etc) for £20 (aka $30) - thats less that 50p (aka $0.75) a book - the set was brand new too!
I also picked up a 1940's copy of wuthering heights, hardback with a message in -written at the time.
'to marian from brenda, a merry christmas for 1958 xxx' (the book is older than that date though) which makes it all the better, I think it's my most treasured book - and it only cost me 10p (aka $0.15)

Does anyone else get their books second hand? Or do any of you have a special or intruiging book that has a story behind it?

Roxxxy
Sex Bomb

Old 11-27-2010, 04:40 PM

@Iltu: Borders, and they were giving away free lattes too :D
I buy tons of used books. I usually get them from the recycle center, but occasionally I buy them in sets on like eBay or something. I really like collecting old books, though none of mine are in great condition. They may not have a market value, but I adore 100-yr old books for what they are ;)

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 11-28-2010, 12:43 AM

I buy lots of used books too. :yes:

Every summer, a ton of libraries in my area have used book sales where you can get dozens for only a few bucks. I stock up then and get myself reading material for the whole year.

Iltu
do you think pigeons have feelin...

Old 11-28-2010, 02:39 AM

East- BEST DEAL EVER Seriously, that many hardcovers for so little sounds like about the best thing that's ever happened.
Oh, that's so neat! I love books with messages written in. <3 It just makes me want to know about the people who wrote them.
I generally buy my books second hand, and have definitely gotten a lot of great books that way! I especially like when I buy a cheap used book for the cover and it ends up becoming one of my favorites. :yes:

I don't have very many books that were printed before the 90's, I've got a smattering from the 50's through 80's, most of those given to me by my grandparents or bought at a library sale. My oldest ones (also the only ones I have that are from before the 50's!) are a copy of Les Misérables from 1943, Politics from 1935, and the complete poetic works of Tennyson from 1899. I got them all from the same library book sale for two dollars each. I didn't realize their age when I bought them, I just wanted them for what they were. :lol:

Roxxxy- Oh, nice! I should have gone there...
I agree, really old books are very cool! There's so much more story to them than just what's in the pages.

Eastriel
(。☉౪ ⊙&...

Old 11-28-2010, 01:07 PM

Knerd: Wow! You're so lucky, I don't think my library does book sales at all. Though my area does have a load of charity shops where the books are almost always on sale so I guess it's much of a much. Though charity shops seem to be getting more clued up on the worth of old books they're starting to charge up to £3.50 ($6.00) for used second hand books - it's just not worth it, because for an extra few pounds I can get it new.

Iltu: I KNOW RIGHT, I NEARLY DIED. My school Librarian had them given to her but had no use for them as she already had a copy of most of the books on the shelves and they're not all that popular with most of the school kids. So I was just like; HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT FOR THEM. I was expecting her to say something £50, but when she came out with £20 I nearly died on the spot. I'm planning on keeping them and passing them down to my children so over the years they can get older and older and more and more loved and hopefully more and more valuable. I'm totally jealous of your age of old books! How much did they cost you!? I have a really nice hard back copy of The wizard of oz with lovely colour illustrations in side from the early 80's - its got one of those covers with all the cold filigree patterns on. I also have the complete works of the legendry oscar wilde from around the late 70's with the same sorta cover. I also have a copy of Grimms fairy tales from the 60's with it;s original paper cover and colour illustartions. It's pretty battered but I think thats part of it's charm. My second favourite though (behind wuthering heights) is an early 60's copy of the complete sherlock holmes stories, it's such a huge book like 1,400 pages long and I love every single story.

Car'a'Carn
Berries & Cream!

Penpal
Assistant Administrator

Old 11-29-2010, 12:37 AM

Hey all! Just dropping in to say hi. Finished The Lost Hero, Going back to reading Night Pleasures now!

MedievalBeauty
\(@O@)ʌ...

Old 11-29-2010, 01:34 AM

Hey everyone. Still reading the vampire lestat but I'm halfway through, so should be finished in a few days or more. Bought two new books as well.

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 11-29-2010, 06:08 PM

I'll be on regularly again. I'm back at college!

KatMagenta
Starlet on the rise

Old 11-29-2010, 07:09 PM

I buy nearly all of my books second hand if the library doesn't have them.

Relatively recently I bought the last Lucifer Box novel by Mark Gatiss from PlayTrade (for something like £2.46) and when it arrived it was signed. It still makes me happy to go and look at it now. ^^;

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 11-30-2010, 01:43 AM

*has never had a book signed by the author*

Iltu

Old 11-30-2010, 01:53 AM

You guys. I LOVE The Sound and the Fury so far. I am on page 23, but I LOVE IT. It's super good! And I'm really excited, because I've not liked most of my required reading this year, and usually I do.

East- What wonderful luck! And how nice of her to ask for such a low low low price. There's so many books I want to pass onto my children if I ever have any, and that will be a really nice set to have for the purpose!
Only two dollars each for those geezer books! Gotta love library book sales.
Those are so cool! Especially that Grimm's Fairytales one. :yes:

Medieval- I only ever got halfway through that book, not because I didn't like it, just because I got distracted with other books. ;a;

Kat- That's awesome! What a great surprise. :drool:

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 11-30-2010, 02:00 AM

I'm finally reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I just got to where Frodo, Sam, and Pipin (trouble incarnate!) have gotten to Bucklebury.

And I'm writing another fanfic....

Car'a'Carn
Berries & Cream!

Penpal
Assistant Administrator

Old 11-30-2010, 05:24 AM

Iltu - I've not heard of that book before but I agree. Library sales are awesome! I ended up spending 20 bucks on the second book of Issac Asmov's foundation trilogy :gonk:

Taiyo - Are the books pretty good then? I have them on my shelf but I've never read them. My brother gave them to me when he smallified his library.

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 11-30-2010, 05:44 AM

So far. I haven't gotten too far into the meat of the story though.

Eastriel
(。☉౪ ⊙&...

Old 11-30-2010, 07:43 AM

KatMagenta: Okay, at first I hardly read what you said because I saw your sing. IANTTTTTTTOOOOOOO! <3 Okay....then I read it. : ) I've ended up picking up two signed copies before but they weren't by any famous authors, nor authors I head of. ;-;

Iltu: Dammit, I want my library to do a library sale now. ;-; I really want to buy some books now. I have a question. Do you ever buy books just for the sake of having them? Half my books I haven't read yet, but there are some I know I probably won;t read. >< I'm such a bibliophile :P

I have a book suggestion for everyone: 'The girl in the red coat' by Roma Ligocka.
If anyone of you have seen the holocaust film schnidlers list then you'll know that the only thing in colour is the girl in the red coat. This book is about the holocaust survivor who actually was that girl. It tells you about her life, not just during the war but after it, how she struggled to find normality after all the things she'd seen. - Even if those types of books aren't usually your thing, I'd really suggest giving this read. (I myself read mainly fantasy, so that proves how far i've strayed just to read it)

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 11-30-2010, 07:50 AM

I've gone off to watch anime again... :XP

MedievalBeauty
\(@O@)ʌ...

Old 11-30-2010, 08:26 AM

East: I finally finished reading it. It's really good, but takes ages for me to read it lol. Still a good book to read. :)

Riri
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-30-2010, 10:40 AM

50 books would be a tad too many, I think. ._."
I am not sure whether I'd be able to buy this much books or actually have time to read them. OTL" but my mom has a bunch of Sydney sheldon books I am not sure why she really likes them tho. xP They seem normal to me.

EDIT: Medieval Beauty isn't that bunny in your siggy done by -YuuCute from roliana? xD or does she have here too?

Eastriel
(。☉౪ ⊙&...

Old 11-30-2010, 03:08 PM

Medi: Sorry I lost track - what book. ^^

riri: you don't have to buy them! Why not get them out from your local library? ^^

KatMagenta
Starlet on the rise

Old 11-30-2010, 06:19 PM

Ianto ♥. He's usually pretty amazing in the Torchwood novels too.
I have a couple of other signed books but I've never been to a book signing. The Simon Pegg one here was at the same time as a tutorial I couldn't miss. My flatmate went to a Jeremy Kyle book signing. XD

I got to sit down and just read in the uni library for a change today rather than having to do some kind of work in my break which was nice. When it starts getting dark at 3pm I'm just tired all of the time so I'm not reading so much on an evening.

Iltu

Old 11-30-2010, 10:53 PM

East- I'm only allowed to go the big summer book sale. ;a; My mom doesn't let me go to their year-round warehouse sale, I would never stop bringing home books.
I don't do that so much. I might not read them for years, but I buy every book I buy with the intent of reading it! :lol:

Riri- You don't have to read fifty books! You can make your challenge 40 0r 30 or 25 or even 10. ^^

Dmitri Blair
The Avid, Slightly Crazy Kid.
Send a message via AIM to Dmitri Blair

Old 12-01-2010, 05:07 AM

I totally lacked in updating my list.. Oh dear. Either way, I finished my 50 books.. >.> Ended it with re-reading LOTR and the
Hobbit books again..

Such a good series.

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 12-01-2010, 05:12 AM

@ Kat: What's this about Ianto?

KatMagenta
Starlet on the rise

Old 12-02-2010, 07:52 PM

The random image doodad in my sig landed on Ianto which Eastriel appreciated. ^_~

Maths for Chemists is driving me mad so I might take a break for tea and reading soon.

Congrats Dmitri!

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-03-2010, 04:12 PM

Listening to the Lord of the Rings on audiobook is SO MUCH FUN! It's getting me excited about Tolkein all over again.

I haven't read these novels in a good 9-10 years, so this refresher was much needed. It's really making my time driving more enjoyable. :lol: