Estrella
A Refined Pervert
Send a message via MSN to Estrella Send a message via Yahoo to Estrella

Old 06-27-2012, 03:24 PM

I may not make it by my deadline. I start grad school this fall. :drool:
I'm going to try and do as much as possible this summer.

I wish I could remember the title of a book I read. Pride and Prejudice made me think of it.
I read the book then watched the movie. But I can't remember!

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-27-2012, 03:33 PM

Grad school? Oh, exciting! What are you going for?

You'll be doing a lot of reading this year, just not for pleasure. :lol:

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 06-27-2012, 05:25 PM

What happened in the book? Maybe we know it.

Estrella
A Refined Pervert

Old 06-28-2012, 01:16 AM

Knerd - Technically it's a professional program. I am going into a pharmacy program to get my doctor of pharmacy. I say grad school because once I am done with everything it'll have been 8 years of school.

Cherry - It was about a woman who is having an affair with a very important person in town. When her husband finds out, he "punishes" her by taking her along with him while he does some research in a disease-inflicted city. It ends up the wife realizes how vain and inconsiderate she was. If I'm remembering correctly it was set in China? Maybe. :oops:

Kamikaze Kendra
Music Guru

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Kamikaze Kendra

Old 06-28-2012, 03:16 AM

I'm not a huge P&P fan, but I have enjoyed revamped or modernized versions of it... so I might have to check out the Lizzie Bennett Diaries! It sounds interesting!

I really need to get back to reading. I'm behind on Alohomora reading, and so stressed about getting this driver's license before school starts in two weeks that I haven't been opening books very often. :(

However, I did finish all my OWLs before they were taken down on Monday!!
2 O's, 7 EE's, 2 A's and a P!

Skrae
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to Skrae Send a message via Yahoo to Skrae

Old 06-28-2012, 04:01 AM

@Knerd
FINALLY DONE.
Skrae's Last Batch of Books!
Skrae's Reading List, Part II
(101-200)
101) Selling Olga- Louisa Waugh
102) Same Soul, Many Bodies- Brian L. Weiss
103) Hexed- Ilona Andrews
104) Prince of Thorns- Mark Lawrence
105) Black Night- Christina Henry
106) The Unquiet- J.D. Robb
107) When You Dare- Lori Foster
108) The Hero Strikes Back- Moira J. Moore
109) Heaven's Shadow- David S. Goyer
110) Library Wars v.2- Kiiro Yumi
111) Library Wars v.3- Kiiro Yumi
112) Library Wars v.4- Kiiro Yumi
113) Library Wars v.5- Kiiro Yumi
114) Blood Red Road- Moira Young
115) The Wild Ways- Tanya Huff
116) A Caress of Twilight- Laurell K. Hamilton
117) Divine Misdemeanors- Laurell K. Hamilton
118) More Than a Mistress- Mary Balogh
119) Compact with the Devil- Bethany Maines
120) Hellbent- Cherie Priest
121) Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand- Carrie Vaughn
122) Etched in Bone- Adrian Phoenix
123) Game of Cages- Harry Connolly
124) Monster Hunter Alpha- Larry Correia
125) Burn the Night- Jocelynn Drake
126) A Rush of Wings- Adrian Phoenix
127) The Betrayal Knows My Name v.1- Hotaru Odagiri
128) Vanish in Plain Sight- Marta Perry
129) Another Kind of Dead- Kelly Meding
130) Do Cats Always Land on Their Feet?- Marty Becker
131) Grave Dance- Kalayna Price
132) Hard Bitten- Chole Neill
133) Gunslinger Girl: Omnibus Collection 1- Yu Aida
134) Over Hexed- Vicki Lewis Thompson
135) Mastiff- Tamora Pierce
136) Blonde with a Wand- Vicki Lewis Thompson
137) Fitzwilliam Darcy Rock Star- Heather Lynn Ridaug
138) Admit It, You're Crazy!- Judy Reiser
139) Star Wars vs. Star Trek- Matt Forbeck
140) Hot Lights, Cold Steel- D. P. Lyle
141) How Starbucks Saved My Life- Michael Gates Gill
142) A Practical Handbook for the Boyfriend- Felicity Huffman
143) Wayfinder- C. E. Murphy
144) Bloodstone- Nancy Holzner
145) Dust of the Damned- Peter Brandvold
146) Skin City- Jack Sheehan
147) Kitty Goes to War- Carrie Vaughn
148) Kitty's Big Trouble- Carrie Vaughn
149) Heart of Steel- Meljean Brook
150) 14- J. T. Ellison
151) Judas Kiss- J.T. Ellison
152) Raven Calls- C.E. Murphy
153) The Coelura- Anne McCaffrey
154) Changes- Mercedes Lackey
155) The Cold Room- J.T. Ellison
156) The Dark Enquiry- Deanna Raybourn
157) Your Cat Interpreter- David Alderton
158) The Girl in the Steel Corset- Kady Cross
159) The Legend of Eli Monpress- Rachel Aaron
160) The Murderer Next Door- David M. Buss
161) Aftermath- Ann Aguirre
162) Against All Enemies- Tom Clancy
163) The Bride Wore Black- Simon R. Green
164) Touch of Power- Maria V. Snyder
165) The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man- Mark Hodder
166) Expedition to the Mountains of the Moon- Mark Hodder
167) No Animals Were Harmed- Peter Laufer
168) Dewey- Vicki Myron
169) The Doomsday Vault- Steven Harper
170) Social Q's- Philip Galanes
171) Blood Engines- T.A. Pratt
172) Best Android Apps- Mike Hendrickson
173) A Discovery of Witches- Deborah Harkness
174) Where All the Dead Lie- J.T. Ellison
175) Taft 2012- Jason Heller
176) Dating the Undead- Gena Showalter
177) Vengeance Born- Kylie Griffin
178) Poison Sleep- T.A. Pratt
179) Third Grave Dead Ahead- Darynda Jones
180) Dead Reign- T.A. Pratt
181) Much Ado About Loving- Jack Murnighan
182) The Bitter Seed of Magic- Suzanne McLeod
183) Song in the Silence- Elizabeth Kerner
184) Try This- Danyelle Freeman
185) Yours Truly, Jack the Ripper- Robert Bloch
186) Lothaire-Kresley Cole
187) Beautiful People- Wendy Holden
188) Spell Games- T.A. Pratt
189) Oh My Gods- Philip Freeman
190) Waking Hours- Lis Wiehl
191) Black Heart Loa- Adrian Phoenix
192) The Concise Guide to Sounding Smart at Parties- David Matalon
193) The Secret Language of Astrology- Roy Gillett
194) Exogene- T.C. McCarthy
195) A First-Rate Madness- Nassir Ghaemi
196) Seven Princes- John R. Fultz
197) Theft of Swords- Michael J. Sullivan
198) It's Classified- Nicolle Wallace
199) Black Howl- Christina Henry
200) The Genetic Strand- Edward Ball

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-28-2012, 10:36 PM

Updated. :yes:

KatMagenta
Starlet on the rise

Old 06-29-2012, 12:09 PM

I was in an online queue for 3 hours but I got some tickets for the Edinburgh book festival. :boogie:

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 06-29-2012, 05:14 PM

Augh, the copy of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo that I'm borrowing from the library is due today and I'm out of renewals. I was just getting into it! :lol: I'm going to have to use Goodreads to remember my place and check it out again in a week or so. Fingers crossed no one else checks it out for as long as I did. >>

Skrae
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to Skrae Send a message via Yahoo to Skrae

Old 06-29-2012, 07:15 PM

Kat: A book festival? What does that entail?

Thank you Knerd~ <3

Cherry, I'm sure you'll not have a problem getting it checked back out; most people who wanted to read it read it when it was super-popular. I usually wait for the NYTimes books, since that means EVERYONE wants to read them. Then I get them for two months from the library. :3

KatMagenta
Starlet on the rise

Old 06-29-2012, 09:02 PM

Edinburgh Book Festival. It's a bunch of tents where you can buy books and read books and there are lots of events and workshops with writers. I only went to one talk last year (Neil Gaiman) but I have tickets for three this time.

It's on at the same time as the Fringe as well so it's a good time to just walk about in Edinburgh.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 06-29-2012, 09:31 PM

Skrae - That's what I'm hoping will be the case! Of course I had to take it back just as I was getting sucked into the story. :lol:

I checked out Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell to read in the meantime. I'm hoping it'll be as interesting as it looks. :)

Also, I have a question for those of you who regularly use libraries. Do you ever read a book from the library, finish it, and then buy a copy for yourself? With most of the books I've checked out so far, I'm fine with taking them back, but there were two in particular that I loved so dearly that I didn't want to part with. :lol: I'm thinking I'm going to have to buy my own copies for future rereadings. It just seems so silly to buy a book I won't be reading that soon. :lol:

Kamikaze Kendra
Music Guru

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Kamikaze Kendra

Old 06-30-2012, 12:37 AM

I used to do that pretty often, Cherry.
There's something to be said for the rereadability of a book. You might not want to read it again soon, but the fact that you liked it enough to know you'll want to reread it makes it worth buying.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 06-30-2012, 01:20 AM

And also because I'd like to have the ability to loan the book to people. Spread the good word and all that. :lol:

Only people who are good to books, though... the condition some of these library books are in is appalling. What are they doing to these books?! :gonk: I mean, a cracked spine is one thing but wow.

Gizensha
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-30-2012, 09:39 AM

OK, lets give this a shot. Not a clue if I'm going to get to 50, mind, but... Using today as a start point, since, well, may as well start just as I've read something I guess.

Since there are going to be a fair few graphic novels and comics that I'll be reading this year, for the purpose of this list, and I'm mainly putting this here so I remember how I'm handling it when I update the list, if it's a Trade Paperback or Graphic Novel I'll count it, if it's a comic book, then I'll count each six in a series as a book.

I guess for republications of books compiling multiple volumes into one, for both comics and prose, I'll count it as multiple books if the distinction is made obvious within the volume, and one book if the distinction is seamless.

Challenge Started 30th June 2012

My List
  1. Joker by Brian Azzarello (Art by Lee Bermejo)
  2. Chew: Taster's Choice by John Layman (art by Rob Guillory)
  3. Wolverine and the X-Men Volume 1 by Jason Aaron (Art by Chris Bachalo and Nick Bradshaw)
  4. Superman: The Black Ring Volume 1 by Paul Cornell (Art by Pete Woods)
  5. Captain Britain and MI13: Vampire State by Paul Cornell (Art by Leonard Kirk and Mike Collins)
  6. Chew: International Flavour by John Layman (art by Rob Guillory)
  7. Green Lantern: Secret Origin by Geoff Johns (art by Ivan Reis and Oclair Albert)
  8. Blackest Night by Geoff Johns (art by Ivan Reis, Oclair Albert and Joe Prado)
  9. The Killing Joke by Alan Moore (art by Alan Bolland)
  10. Chew: Just Desserts by John Layman (art by Rob Guillory)
  11. Black Orchid by Neil Gaiman (art by Dave McKean)
  12. Demon Knights: Volume 1: 7 Against The Dark by Paul Cornell (art by Diogenes Neves and Oclair Albert)
  13. Chew: Flambé by John Layman (art by Rob Guillory)
  14. The Atrocity Archive by Charles Stross
  15. Major League Chew by John Layman (art by Rob Guillory)
  16. Action Comics: Volume 1: Superman and the Men of Steel by Grant Morrison (art by Rags Morales and Any Kubert)
  17. Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth by Grant Morrison (art by Dave McKean)

Ongoing sets of six in a comic series:
  • Earth 2; 2/6 (#3-4) - James Robinson (3-4); art by Nicola Scott (3-4), Trevor Scott (3-4) and Eduardo Pansica (4)
  • World's Finest; 2/6 (#3-4) - Paul Levitz; art by George Pérez, Kevin Maguire and Scott Koblish
  • Chew: Secret Agent Poyo; 1/6 (#1) - John Layman; art by Rob Guillory
  • Action Comics; 4/6 (#9-12) - Grant Morrison (9-12; art by Gene Ha (9), Rags Morales (10-12), Rick Bryant (10-11), Brad Walker (11-12) and Cafu (12)

...I really said I'd be doing these by series, huh? Fine.

...Ok. Maybe I should change that by series idea considering I believe Poyo is a one-shot rather than an ongoing series... Erg... So doing it by page count next time...

Last edited by Gizensha; 08-24-2012 at 02:30 AM..

Estrella
A Refined Pervert

Old 06-30-2012, 04:33 PM

I do that all the time, Cherry. :lol: I don't go to the library much anymore because my daughter becomes a demon as soon as we enter one and it stresses me out because I feel like I don't have the leisure to really look through the books. Even the promise of getting her a chance to play/pick out books in the kids' section doesn't chill her out.

It's partly because my library is so small that it's easy to become extremely disruptive.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 06-30-2012, 05:10 PM

Gizensha - Good luck!

Estrella - Oh, yikes. Who knew a visit to the library was something a babysitter was needed for? :lol: Hopefully she'll grow out of that stage soon.

Gizensha
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-30-2012, 06:09 PM

Estrella: Ouch. At least the kids section at the library I went to growing up was in a separate room to the adult section, so there wasn't too much disruption to the majority of users from rowdy kids.

Cherry: Thanks. If nothing else, when I've got some more free time on my hands than I currently do it might motivate me to finally get round to looking at some of the books that have been sitting on my shelf waiting to be read for some time now.

Estrella
A Refined Pervert

Old 07-02-2012, 07:30 PM

My daughter is just extremely active and full of energy. It's easier, though tiresome, to jut be outside wih her.
She's getting glasses soon so I am hoping she'll be more interested in reading once she has them.

Also, I finished The Brothers K. I laughed and I cried and I loved it. It was a great and touching story. :)

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 07-02-2012, 08:52 PM

Bleh, I miss having a good library at my disposal. That's the one big thing I miss about college! Being able to walk to a huge library on campus every night was lovely. Now I'm stuck with the local town one, which isn't nearly as impressive.

Thank the lord I have a kindle now. :lol:

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 07-03-2012, 12:07 AM

Yeah, the local library isn't that impressive. I have a huge to-read list and they have less than 10 books from it. But hey, that's still free readin'. I'll have access to a college library pretty soon anyway.

Gizensha
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-03-2012, 12:31 AM

Not too bad a local library round here, and interconnected with every other library under the same council so I can order anything that's in the county in without problem, just slight expense - Heck, the UK library system in general is pretty well connected to each other so it's only a bit inconvenient if I have to order something that only two lending libraries, one in London and one in Edinburgh has. It just takes a couple of months. That... Actually has happened before (Patricia Terry's translation - the only one I could find when I was searching for one to a verse to verse translation rather than a verse to prose translation - of Reynard the Fox being the only time I recall it happening)

What I really miss about my college library is librarians who actually knew that ordering copies of white papers, when I occasionally need to get hold of them, was a service offered by libraries and had paperwork designed for dealing with it. General libraries... Since no-one uses that service librarians are always unsure if they're doing it right and there's no actual paperwork, electronic or otherwise, for them to fill in to make the process streamlined. Thankfully, that's rarely needed, but... It's come up before now.

The copyright declaration you have to sign to get hold of them via a library service, college or otherwise, is freaking hilarious, mind, and, really - If you've got access to the white paper you need via something like Athens, use that instead.

spunky
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 07-03-2012, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estrella View Post
Cherry - It was about a woman who is having an affair with a very important person in town. When her husband finds out, he "punishes" her by taking her along with him while he does some research in a disease-inflicted city. It ends up the wife realizes how vain and inconsiderate she was. If I'm remembering correctly it was set in China? Maybe. :oops:
Hey Estrella. Not sure if anyone answered your question but is it The Painted Veil? I know that they made a movie out of it too.

Estrella
A Refined Pervert

Old 07-03-2012, 04:19 AM

My library's ok. Very small but what's nice about it is the inter-library loan that lets me get books from any library in Central Oregon. It's pretty cool. I just have too hard of time with my daughter that I don't go very often. :lol: I am moving, soon, though, for school so I'll be in town with the campus library again. x3

YES!! spunky! I could kiss you. Haha. It was The Painted Veil!

spunky
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 07-03-2012, 04:26 AM

The movie was fantastic. It had phenomenal actors to follow the story.