TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 08-26-2010, 03:05 AM

{Introduction}

So...what is ROTC and JROTC? Well, let's start with the meanings; ROTC stands for "Reserve Officer Training Corps" and there's two levels of it; high school and college. What kinds of people are in these programs? Just about anyone who wants to make a difference--and have some fun, of course. Here's a quick rundown of the program;

As I've already told you, there's two levels of ROTC; high school and college. Think of the high school version as a watered-down version of the college ROTC. There's five types of JROTC (one for each of the services, excluding the Coast Guard): Navy JROTC, Army JROTC, Marine Corps JROTC, and Air Force JROTC. At the college level, it's just Army, Air Force, and Navy, with the Marine Corps bundled together with the Navy.

The main things ROTC and JROTC programs teach are leadership skills, citizenship, military knowledge, drill, survival, and military history. The veiwponts taken for military history and knowledge differ depending on which branch your ROTC is. Navy concentrates on Naval history, Army on army history, Marine corps in Marine history, etc.

There's six teams in ROTC units, though they may differ depending on the branch you're a part of; drill team, athletic team, air rifle team, academic team, color guard, and orienteering team. Expand below for more information on each team:

SPOILERX

Drill team:
These are the guys who carry and spin the rifles. Believe me when I say this; spinning a rifle is harder than it looks. We make it look easy, sure, but what you don't see is all the bruises we get practicing to spin them so well. I've hit myself in multiple body parts multiple times. Having 14 pounds of rifle whack you in the head tends to hurt.

Color Guard:
They've got the flags. Usually in a parade you'll see them preceding the drill team. They usually tag along with the drill team to meets to compete in the color guard event. I apologize for the lack of informatinon on this team, but I wasn't on it!

Athletic Team:
Think of them as track on steroids. We don't just run on this team; we lift weights, we do push-ups and sit-ups, we work out like crazy. And it's probably because we are. The athletic team are the--you guessed it--athletes. You've gotta have athletic skill to be on this team, and if you don't when you join...well, let's just say we'll find ways to give you some.

Orienteering Team:
They've got a sense of direction. Orienteering team is basically plopping you in the middle of nowhere with a map, compass, and a list of checkpoints you need to find on your way back. Don't worry, we teach you how to navigate before we plop you in the woods! If you're on the orienteering team, it's probably a good idea to be on the althetic team as well, because they go hand in hand.

Air Rifle Team:
Is probably the hardest one there is. It's also the one that has the most people going out for it because of one thing; you get to shoot a rifle. It's only an air rifle, but it can do a lot of damage if the person behind it has no clue what they're doing. That's why it's the hardest team it is to be on. There's so much emphasis on safety because they're putting potentially deadly weapons in the hands of high schoolers and college kids! You've gotta have a level head and a good way of staying calm if you want to be on this team safely.

Academic Team:
This is the one I commanded when I was in high school. Sadly, there aren't that many people who go out for it because all they really do for practices is...well...study. I know, it doesn't sound too appealing, and I can see why; you're in high school or college, and the teachers are piling enough homework on you as it is without going to a team practice simply to study some more. But that's what we do; study for tests that instead of get handed in to some teacher, are entered into postals, academic events at meets, or any other type of competition for more than just a grade; a trophy!

Well, there you have it; a roungh run-down of what the ROTC and JROTC programs are about. Looking foreward to seeing you around the thread!

{Introduction}-{Rules}-{White/Black Lists}-{Links}-{Bulletin Board}-{FAQ}-{Chain of Command/Staff}-{Reserved}-{Reserved}-{Opening Statements}

Last edited by TaiyoTsuki; 05-01-2011 at 10:22 PM..

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 08-26-2010, 03:07 AM

{Rules}

1) Follow Menewsha ToS.
2) No flaming, cyberbullying, etc. This may be a military-oriented hangout, but we still want to have fun here. If you've got a problem with something/someone, either contact me (if it's a small personal matter) or one of the mods.
3) If you're gonna argue, keep it to the PMs. This isn't a thread for you to bully people.
4) What I say goes. If I say you can't do anything, then don't do it!
5) No spamming. There's a place for that.
6) Try to behave. I'm not trying to be strict, but try not to cause any trouble that's too bad. This includes getting into the arms room and grabbing a rifle shape to beat someone over the head with.
7) When you're here, you're a fellow Cadet, whether you're in ROTC or not. Thus, I expect you to treat other Cadets with respect. A joking insult here or there is fine, as long as you both know it's joking.
8) When you leave JROTC or ROTC, you don't have to leave here. Nor do you have to be in the program to chat here anyway.
9) Don't limit what you talk about to ROTC and the military. Chat about whatever you like here; within reason.
10) NO CYBERING! Yuck!
11) If you've got a link you'd like to have put up on the bulletin board, then PM it to me and I'll put it up there.
12) Want to post video and pics? Go ahead, as long as they're appropriate.
13) If you're selling something, there's a marketplace.
14) I reserve the right to change/add rules as I deem nessicary.
15) HAVE FUN!

{Introduction}-{Rules}-{White/Black Lists}-{Links}-{Bulletin Board}-{FAQ}-{Chain of Command/Staff}-{Reserved}-{Reserved}-{Opening Statements}

Last edited by TaiyoTsuki; 12-14-2010 at 10:34 PM..

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 08-26-2010, 03:13 AM

{White/Black Lists}

White list:
-Heiyuu
-robinhoodfan
-TaiyoTsuki
-Chocoboy

Black list:
-None yet. KEEP IT THAT WAY!

Last edited by TaiyoTsuki; 12-14-2010 at 10:35 PM..

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 08-26-2010, 03:30 AM

{Links}

None. If anyone wants a link put up here, the PM me the link!

Last edited by TaiyoTsuki; 12-14-2010 at 10:35 PM..

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 08-26-2010, 03:34 AM

{Bulletin Board}

Important Dates
4 September 2010: Hangout Opened
30 October 2010: Halloween is here!

Announcements/Events
30 October 2010: Menewsha's Halloween event starts!
30 October 2010: Event thread created & Masquerade Ball begins!

Last edited by TaiyoTsuki; 12-14-2010 at 10:36 PM..

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 08-26-2010, 03:38 AM

{FAQ}

*empty*

Last edited by TaiyoTsuki; 12-14-2010 at 10:36 PM..

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 08-26-2010, 03:40 AM

{Chain of Command/Staff}

Here is our Chain of Command and staff! As we're a rather small unit, there's not much to it. But as we grow, more positions will need to be added! Also, we're hoping to grow beyond a measly little platoon. Like I said before, you don't need to be in ROTC or JROTC to join in!

Commanding Officer: Cadet Lt. TaiyoTsuki
Executive Officer: Cadet LTJG *empty*
Operations Officer: Cadet Ens *empty*
Administrative Officer: Cadet Ens *empty*
Supply Officer: Cadet Ens *empty*
Public Affairs Officer: Cadet MCPO *empty*
Senior Cheif: Cadet SCPO *empty*
Master-At-Arms: Cadet PO1 *empty*

Alpha Platoon Commander: Cadet Ens *empty*
---1st Squad Leader: Cadet PO3 *empty*
---2nd Squad Leader: Cadet PO3 *empty*
---3rd Squad Leader: Cadet PO3 *empty*

Application for Positions:

Username:
Branch:
Position(s) Desired:
Reasons:
Date/Time available for interview:

PLEASE use this form if you want to be on our staff! PM this to me, and if you are chosen your name will show up here. Mind you, you can try out for more than one position; play to your strengths! Nor do you have to be the rank needed for the position; if you're given the position, then your rank in here will become the required rank for the position. By default, I'm using the Navy ranks (simply because that's the branch of JROTC I was in in high school), but if you're from another branch it will be changed to the equivalent of whatever branch you're in.

NOTE: IF YOU DO NOT USE THIS SHEET, YOUR PM WILL BE IGNORED AND YOU WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR ANY STAFF POSITIONS! BE SURE TO USE THIS APPLICATION IF YOU WANT A SHOT AT A STAFF POSITION!

Last edited by TaiyoTsuki; 12-14-2010 at 10:51 PM..

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 08-26-2010, 03:44 AM

{Reserved again}

{Introduction}-{Rules}-{White/Black Lists}-{Links}-{Bulletin Board}-{FAQ}-{Reserved}-{Reserved}-{Reserved}-{Opening Statements}

Last edited by TaiyoTsuki; 09-04-2010 at 07:37 PM..

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 08-26-2010, 03:46 AM

{Still reserved}

{Introduction}-{Rules}-{White/Black Lists}-{Links}-{Bulletin Board}-{FAQ}-{Reserved}-{Reserved}-{Reserved}-{Opening Statements}

Last edited by TaiyoTsuki; 09-04-2010 at 07:47 PM..

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 08-26-2010, 03:47 AM

{Opening Statements}

Hangout has opened!
Remember to read the rules as you come in, because I will not allow the excuse of "I didn't know"!

~TaiyoTsuki

Last edited by TaiyoTsuki; 09-04-2010 at 07:53 PM..

Heiyuu
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-07-2010, 03:35 AM

Seaman Apprentice Heiyuu Dumas respectfully requests permission to join this thread!

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 09-07-2010, 04:09 AM

Go ahead!

Heiyuu
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-07-2010, 04:10 AM

:3 Thank you. I may never have been ROTC--my brother was, as I said, NJROTC. But hey, I can still hang out with the folks who'll someday be where I am. Right?

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 09-07-2010, 04:15 AM

Of course. And with any luck, there'll be event hangouts to go with it!

Marguerite Blakeney
Kidnapped by Tumblr

Old 09-07-2010, 04:17 AM

Oh hey I was in AFJROTC back in high school. Of course I was only there for two years...I only signed up so I could be like my cousin (one of the "legendary" graduated cadets in my high school apparently. She graduated years before I entered that school). Didn't make friends, though, rather this one girl in my flight totally hated me and always tried starting shizzle against me so people would hate me.

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 09-07-2010, 04:19 AM

Yeow. That's no good at all!

Don't worry, we're much nicer here.

Simply Sui Generis
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-26-2010, 01:11 PM

Cadet Generis, reporting for duty! ;)

I'm currently in my third year of High School AFJROTC. I love it! Well... I could do without wearing the uniform every single week... but at least its only once a week :)

Your Drill Team description isn't... entirely... accurate. Well, not for the Air Force anyway... I didn't think it was too different with the other branches. Is it? That's just the Armed Team. There's also Regulation (Yay!) Unarmed, and Color Guard. Though, you have Color Guard in their own block, that's good.
The Regulation team specifically does regulation marching, and the Unarmed is... well... unarmed. I hate to say it, but almost like a military dance troup. (I hate saying it that way because that scares off all the guys...)
I'm the Unarmed Commander for our Drill Team this year. I'm so excited! :boogie:

I can't spin rifles for my life. I have tried so much... I just can't spin them. I usually act as a rifle for Color Guard though, which is good enough for me :heart:

So... yeah. Hi!

Last edited by Simply Sui Generis; 09-26-2010 at 01:13 PM..

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 09-26-2010, 06:44 PM

Hey there Generis!

That's just a quickie summary. Mostly what people see of the drill team is the armed (which, of course, are in parades). I really didn't want to crowd out the rest of the teams though, because they're all awesome in their own rights. :)

Simply Sui Generis
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-26-2010, 06:54 PM

You know... come to think of it... we don't do any parades...
Our team competes in two competitions a year. Invitationals, just a little friendly thing (We're hosting this year, YES!) and then Europeans....
We don't even start practicing armed until Euros...

Though, we have several female cadets trying to get permission to form a Saber Team. That would be SO AWESOME. I love the sabers...

How are you?

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 09-26-2010, 07:01 PM

I'm god. I wish I'd learned sabers in NJ! For the last parade I was in, some of the Cadets had gotten permission from SgtMaj to form a saber team as well, but no matter much I wanted to be in it I couldn't because I was with the drill team.

Only two competitions a year? Wow. usually we did four or five a year, excluding Area Three.

Simply Sui Generis
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-26-2010, 07:09 PM

Yeah, only two... Though we do TONS of Color Guards... football games (I was in the First Football Game Color Guard this year! Yay! Of course... I was the only one who messed up :cry: I got off step) Basketball games, retirements... We even had a color guard at the elementary school down the street for Constitution Day. Whatever we get invited to do, really...

Sabers would be part of the Drill Team for us... So if we get permission, I'll definately be in it! Especially since I was one of the original people who asked...

You're... god? That's probably the best typo ever.

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 09-26-2010, 07:17 PM

Oops! Please don't ask me where my brain's been...I've no idea.

When I left the ROTC room for last time this summer (the day before I left for college), I told Commander that if he needed a chapperone for any trips and such I'd be happy to help with that, schedule permitting. Sadly, they don't allow anyone under 25 chapperone, and I can understand that; some 18-year-olds are less mature than 15-year-olds!

As for helping out, I promised at the end of my freshman year in high school that a portion of my earnings from when I get a book published would be given to my ROTC unit. On a yearly basis. I think Commander and SgtMaj will like that. :3

Heiyuu
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-26-2010, 07:22 PM

It almost makes me wish I had learned the manual of the cutlass in boot camp, seeing talk of saber teams. Only our RCPO and ARCPO learned it all fully.

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 09-26-2010, 07:27 PM

They'd probably be afraid of me with a saber...apparently I scared enough people with an air rifle.....

robinhoodfan13
Robinhoodfan13

Old 11-18-2010, 09:43 PM

I'm in Civil Air Patrol's Cadet Program....haven't checked to see if there's a thread for that yet, probably should have. But this was the first thing I've seen relating to this sort of thing anyway. So...Cadet Senior Airman requesting permission to join this thread/chat! :XD