`Kitami
The girl with kaleidoscope eyes.
Send a message via MSN to `Kitami

Old 09-15-2011, 04:38 PM

Now that I've moved in with my boyfriend and things are somewhat calmer, I have time to read again. :D
And John and his mother have books stashed all over the house! 8D
Kita is a happy kitty!

But I still won't finish my challenge this year. I'm going to try really hard though. :yes:

Isendor
*^_^*

Old 09-18-2011, 03:32 PM

Oh my... O.O I read books in 3 languages and now I've really noted the problems with it. The book that has only 50 pages in Swedish has around 80 pages in Finnish, and English usually has lesser pages too. And this doesn't always depend on the font size they use...! :D

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-18-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isendor View Post
Oh my... O.O I read books in 3 languages and now I've really noted the problems with it. The book that has only 50 pages in Swedish has around 80 pages in Finnish, and English usually has lesser pages too. And this doesn't always depend on the font size they use...! :D
Wow, I can see that turning into quite a problem. :lol:

Are you counting page numbers for your challenge too?

Isendor
*^_^*

Old 09-22-2011, 07:34 PM

I do both, just in case. :D I sometimes read books that have only 100 pages, but sometimes I end up taking the 1000 paged books. But I'm not really stressing for this challenge, this is just one way to keep track on my progress!

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 09-24-2011, 12:49 PM

this seems like a really good challenge.
not a great time of the year for me to start it though.
i may try to start it during the New Year.
congratulatins to the members who have completed the challenge!

Skrae
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to Skrae Send a message via Yahoo to Skrae

Old 09-26-2011, 07:57 PM

I'm almost a quarter of the way to my goal. :3
Haven't been able to read as much as I usually would, since life keeps getting in my way. It also doesn't help that I'm basically the only one doing laundry/dishes at my house lately. x_x;;

So, five more books, and then I'll post my updated list. So that should be during this next week! :D

mikuhiko
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-26-2011, 08:33 PM

but i already read over 60 books this summer alone... >.>;;

`Kitami
The girl with kaleidoscope eyes.
Send a message via MSN to `Kitami

Old 09-29-2011, 01:27 AM

mikuhiko: Your goal doesn't have to be fifty. You can make it higher. :yes:

mikuhiko
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-29-2011, 03:50 AM

good point ^^

Skrae
(^._.^)ノ

Old 09-29-2011, 05:00 AM

Yep. :3
My goal is 200 books. I guess I'll up my goal when I hit that.

ObviouslyAya
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 09-29-2011, 05:04 AM

I like this thread! Probably because I love to read xD I'm moving to a city about 40 miles away within a week, and it has an awesome library! I'm very happy :'D Just yesterday I rented the equivalent of five books, but they re-printed them in two volumes to make it easier. I've read the series at least twice but not in quite a few years <3 I still love it~

colorsbold
barely present

Old 09-29-2011, 07:45 AM

Banned Books Week! Did anybody celebrate? The only thing I've been reading lately is a compendium of short stories and a book on historical geology. Nothing edgy enough to make the Top Ten Challenged list, I'm afraid.

And Tango Makes Three moved down a spot this year! Meyer's on the list, now, too.

Skrae
(^._.^)ノ

Old 10-03-2011, 06:08 AM

Colorsbold- I try to read them during the whole year. I would like to get more involved in promoting banned books though. If we only read what we felt safe with, we'd lose a lot of potential knowledge/understanding I think.

Also...Meyer is on the list? o0;; I did not see that one coming.

colorsbold
barely present

Old 10-03-2011, 08:08 AM

Yep! She's on the list. There's no quality filter-- what is banned in libraries will be listed. And the abstinent-until-marriage-Vampire's sexlife is fairly detailed in the plot, so... :shrug:

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-03-2011, 03:13 PM

I've never put too much stock in banned book lists. The United States is very free and vocal about making literature available to everyone. Especially with the internet at our fingertips. So while banned books might have had more of an impact to the last generation, for us it isn't really covering any material that we don't have access to anyway.

Of course it's a great way to find recommendations, but like you said - There's no quality filter, so you'll end up with a lot of books that were challenged just because of language or sex scenes. :lol:

Skrae
(^._.^)ノ

Old 10-04-2011, 07:33 PM

Very true.

Ta-daaaaah! Update!

Skrae's Reading List:
(50/200)
1) The Unincorporated Man- Dani & Eytan Kollin
2) Graveminder- Melissa Marr
3) Unnatural Issue- Mercedes Lackey
4) Late Eclipses- Seanan McGuire
5) Night Veil- Yasmine Galenorn
6) Kindling the Moon- Jenn Bennett
7) Pale Demon- Kim Harrison
8) Hit List- Laurell K. Hamilton
9) Spirit Dances- C.E. Murphy
10) Truthseeker- C.E. Murphy
11) The Dead Detective- William Heffernan
12) Clover (omnibus)- CLAMP
13) Chicks Ahoy (omnibus)- Ed. Esther Friesner
14) Blood Trinity- Sherrilyn Kenyon & Dianna Love
15) The Werewolf Upstairs- Ashlyn Chase
16) Counterfeit Magic- Kelley Armstrong
17) Night Magic- Jennifer Lyon
18) Cinderella Ate My Daughter- Peggy Orenstein
19) First Grave on the Right- Darynda Jones
20) Demon Marked- Anna J. Evans
21) Troubled Waters- Sharon Shinn
22) Wicked Lovely- Melissa Marr
23) Blood Spells- Jessica Andersen
24) Born to Run- Mercedes Lackey
25) Beautiful Creatures- Kami Garcia
26) Mona Lisa Eclipsing- Sunny
27) The Kensei- Jon F. Merz
28) City of Bones- Cassandra Claire
29) Kill the Dead- Richard Kadrey
30) The Gates of Sleep- Mercedes Lackey
31) Knight of Ghosts and Shadows- Mercedes Lackey & Ellen Guon
32) A Clash of Kings- George R.R. Martin
33) Dead on Delivery- Eileen Rehndahl
34) Don't Kill the Messenger- Eileen Rehndahl
35) The Neon Court- Kate Griffin
36) Rebecca- Daphne du Maurier
37) Bloodshot- Cherie Priest
38) Tracking the Tempest- Nicole Peeler
39) Eye of the Tempest- Nicole Peeler
40) Tempest's Legacy- Nicole Peeler
41) Everdark- Elle Jasper
42) Kraken- Wendy Williams
43) Born to Run- Christopher McDougall
44) For Heaven's Eyes Only- Simon R. Green
45) The Wizard's Dilemma- Diane Duane
46) Fort Freak- Ed. George R.R. Martin
47) Chicks Kick Butt- Ed. Rachel Caine
48) Rule 34- Charles Stross
49) Viper Moon- Lee Roland
50) Heat- Bill Buford

Knerd

1/4 of the way to my goal~!

KatMagenta
Starlet on the rise

Old 10-04-2011, 07:47 PM

Ah, Rule 34! I need to track down a copy once I've reread Halting State.

Skrae
(^._.^)ノ

Old 10-05-2011, 01:13 AM

Kat- It's really good! It's actually the first book by that author I've read, and I'm thinking about trying to track down some more to read. :3

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-05-2011, 01:49 AM

Wow, good going Skrae! You've made it through more books than I have. :lol:

colorsbold
barely present

Old 10-05-2011, 03:24 AM

Hey guys-- one of my classes has a running poetry journal assignment through the semester. Simplest explanation: we choose a poem, read and briefly analyze it. Analysis is an old hat for me, so no worries there... I am looking for new poems, though. Anyone got anything interesting and out-of-the-way? It should be published somewhere, in print source, as per assignment restrictions. I'm looking for new material to go on, that way I don't have to crack out my old anthologies.

Let me know! :)
Thanks. :heart:

KatMagenta
Starlet on the rise

Old 10-05-2011, 07:55 PM

Halting State (set in the same universe as Rule 34) was the first Charles Stross novel I read and rather embarrassingly I only picked it up in the library because the isometric pixel art on the UK cover looks really cool. ^^;

His Laundry series is my favourite, a proper mash up of spy novels, Lovecraft and computer/maths geekery.

I'm not knowledgeable about poetry in the slightest but I enjoy the work of Simon Armitage.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-06-2011, 03:07 PM

So I've been listening to the Hunger Games trilogy on audiobook for the past few weeks. It's not bad - There are a couple little problems I have with the books (stop using Katniss' stupidity as a way of explaining junk to the audience!), but it's fun and has a pretty exciting plot to go with it. It's something really entertaining to listen to as I'm driving to campus or working out in the gym. :lol:

Aside from that, my reading has stalled a little bit again. I finished a couple more books from school, but that's just forced reading. Maybe I'll have more time to read my Big Pile O Books by the end of the month.

colorsbold
barely present

Old 10-06-2011, 07:42 PM

The Hunger Games!-- is good, solid fun. We're actually going to be reading it soon in my Children's Lit class, which excites me to no end. Warning about the third book, though: the author completely falls apart by the end. Noooo idea what happened, there.

Please update us on what you think! Knerd perspective= fun sharing time.
I like when you talk about books that I have read, being that I have not read as many books as you have... :sweat:

Kat-- you're a genius-- I love "I Say I Say I Say." Rhythmic brilliance, dark and beautiful. Mmmmmm.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-07-2011, 01:16 AM

Well I've already made my way through the first two books, so I'm happy to talk about them. :)

The whole idea behind the series is so appealing to me. I love dystopian novels. And to see such a fully fleshed out idea in a YA book is pretty awesome. The book is literally about children slaughtering each other, but the story is weaved in such a way that you don't focus on it. Katniss' attention is instead on her friends, family, and survival instincts. Managing to include such horrible bloody deaths without being completely traumatizing is impressive.

I also like the character of Katniss. When you compare her to someone like Bella Swan, there's no competition: She's independent, strong, inventive, and not so quick to give away her love to anyone who looks her way. She's dead stupid though. :lol: That's my one biggest complaint: Collins makes her incredibly dense sometimes so that another character will have an excuse to break down and explain things to the audience. "ZOMG Peeta/Johanna/Finnick is trying to kill me!" "Uh, no, we actually love you." "Oh, okay." I can see why younger readers might need things to be so explicit, but there's no subtlety to the writing and it just doesn't mesh with the idea that Katniss is supposed to be halfway intelligent. She can devise intricate hunting traps and read every movement and emotion from an animal, but can't even deal with humans on the most basic level. It's odd.

I also have little complaints about that writing, but I suppose that's going to happen with any YA novel. The vocabulary is nothing special, there aren't many nuances, and most of the plot is straight as an arrow. Nothing special to write home about.

Skrae
(^._.^)ノ

Old 10-07-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knerd View Post
Wow, good going Skrae! You've made it through more books than I have. :lol:
Thanks. :3
I probably have a bit too much free time, but at least I'm keeping my mind working during it. XD

Kat- I'll have to look into that series, then. :) Thanks!

I like Hunger Games, but I prefer Battle Royal to it, honestly. It's a bit less...hrm. It's more graphic, but it's along a similar story line. Then again, I did read it first, so I might not be as objective as I'd like to be in comparing similar stories.