ktbee
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 08-23-2012, 07:00 PM

I'm realizing that the Earthsea books are a little more connected than I'd thought, haha. xD Oh well, I love the characters, so it's all good and well. :)

Mimmu
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-23-2012, 07:33 PM

Someone kicked Mimmu
back to the world of books

I started on 14th August 2012. Some of the books I've read in Finnish, the Finnish name of the book is after the author's name if the book isn't Finnish originally.

1. The Sorceress by Michael Scott, Velho
2. Goosebumbs 19# Deep Trouble by R.L. Stine, Syvällä vaanii vaara
3. Time-traveling Fashionista by Bianca Turketsky, Muotimatkaaja Titanicin kannella
4. The Devil's Canvas by Akiru Chan and Disgruntled Minion, fanfic
5. Suomu by Sari Peltoniemi
6. Hämärän Renki by Sari Peltoniemi
7. Mad Ship by Robin Hobb

7/50 (14%)

Last edited by Mimmu; 01-29-2013 at 03:49 PM..

Gizensha
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-24-2012, 02:29 AM

Good luck and happy reading, Mimmu.

Just read Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth, which is... Exquisite. Relatedly, Dave McKean needs to draw more Batman; his art style is perfect for the character and the city.

Estrella
A Refined Pervert
Send a message via MSN to Estrella Send a message via Yahoo to Estrella

Old 08-24-2012, 03:47 AM

So another update to my list. I read yet another book that isn't on my list. . It was a very emotional book that I've read at least three times before but I love it. I got stuck on Moby Dick and decided to skip it for now and am trying to read The War of the Worlds and am also having issues getting through that one so I read something I knew I could get through.

I believe my official account is 29/50. But I don't feel all that accomplished because I haven't been very good about reading books actually on my list. ;(

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-24-2012, 10:06 PM

Welcome aboard, Mimmu!

Estrella - As long as you're reading, I wouldn't worry too much abut whether you pick up a book that's on your list. Sometimes you need a fun or exciting story! Maybe getting another book under your belt will give you the break or motivation you need to finish up something else. As long as you enjoy it, you shouldn't beat yourself up too badly.

Mimmu
\ (•◡•) /

Old 08-26-2012, 01:39 PM

Thank you Knerd! ^o^

Uh, I'm so slow book-reader, because I just love reading fanfics D:

KatMagenta
Starlet on the rise

Old 08-26-2012, 05:33 PM

I'm probably about to start A Game of Thrones (Katie is so hip and with the times!) but I might pick up my Kindle and read something fluffier after Snow Crash.

Autocorrect made me search Goodreads for "A Game of Throws" which I assume is about the incredibly competitive world of interior design.

Gizensha
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-26-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMagenta View Post
Autocorrect made me search Goodreads for "A Game of Throws" which I assume is about the incredibly competitive world of interior design.
I'd have thought it would be about sport Judo...

KatMagenta
Starlet on the rise

Old 08-26-2012, 09:11 PM

Can we compromise on them doing judo on a big pile of scatter cushions?

ktbee
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 08-26-2012, 10:15 PM

I like that compromise. xD

Estrella
A Refined Pervert
Send a message via MSN to Estrella Send a message via Yahoo to Estrella

Old 08-28-2012, 04:12 AM

Knerd - I think next time I need to break it up a bit next time. I am going to try and read War of Worlds this week. I hope I can get through some more books before school starts.

One of my friends' husbands just read The Game of Thrones and I think I may have to give it a go now because he spoke very highly of it.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 08-31-2012, 01:35 AM

Blurgh, if I was bad with reading before, now that college has started, I'm terrible. Unless you count textbooks. If you count textbooks, I'm reading a lot.

Quote:
Just had to let you know that made me laugh quite a bit.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-31-2012, 02:43 AM

I always counted my textbooks. If I didn't, my yearly lists would only be about 10 books long.

I went to another used book sale! Give me a moment to brag about my haul:

I've been looking for that Ntozake Shange book for ages. I used to be the only person who ever took it out of my university library. Before I got there, the library card hadn't been stamped in a good 15 years.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 08-31-2012, 04:02 AM

What's it about, Knerd? And you'll have to tell us how the rest of the books are.

Oh phew. I'll start counting mine, then! I'm not reading every single page, but since the pages are way bigger than an average book, it'll even out.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-31-2012, 04:19 AM

It's a choreopoem, which is like a play that combines poetry and dance. It has about 7 different women on stage who takes turns reciting poems about their love lives, childhoods, abuse, etc. There are parts of it where you can't help but want to cry!

You'll probably see me post sections of it on my tumblr soon.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 08-31-2012, 09:32 PM

Ohh, that sounds interesting! I look forward to seeing it on your tumblr.

Last edited by Cherry Who?; 08-31-2012 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: how to emoticon?????

KatMagenta
Starlet on the rise

Old 09-03-2012, 04:22 PM

Not as varied as Knerd's haul but I went looking in charity shops for books today and managed to get these for 75p each.

So there's my reading for the next several years sorted.

ktbee
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 09-04-2012, 12:20 AM

Cherry- Wow, that's awesome that you're reading your textbooks at least! I'm about to start school too, so I'm not getting much more reading done.. ><;; Although... I'm reading a supplementary PDF for my ACLS class in a couple days... Maybe I should count that... 83 good pages there. xD

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-04-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Not as varied as Knerd's haul but I went looking in charity shops for books today and managed to get these for 75p each.

So there's my reading for the next several years sorted.
I read the Song of Fire and Ice books on my Kindle, so sorry if this is a stupid question, but: What's the difference between A Storm of Swords - Steel and Snow, and A Storm of Swords - Blood and Gold? I bought SoS all as one edition.

KatMagenta
Starlet on the rise

Old 09-05-2012, 12:47 PM

I had to check Wikipedia, the book was split into two in some countries (including the UK) just to cut down on the length. A Dance with Dragons is available as two volumes here as well.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-05-2012, 03:08 PM

I guess it makes sense that publication houses wouldn't want to deal with such huge volumes. But those darn non-standard publications!

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-05-2012, 09:32 PM

I'd also imagine that potential readers would be more intimidated by a book that big and wouldn't buy it. And if they did, it might hurt their hand.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-06-2012, 12:20 AM

If you can't lift it, I guess you wouldn't want to buy it.

ktbee
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 09-06-2012, 05:08 AM

Haha, I'd be worried about ruining the spine of the book if it was that big. ^^;

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-06-2012, 05:54 AM

I'd be worried about ruining my wrists. I have ridiculously weak wrists, just holding a slightly larger-than-average paperback book open with one hand for a prolonged time can hurt. Forget big hardcovers. >< 300 pages is about all my wimpy wrists can take for any period of time.

Once I was carrying two bricks - one in each hand. Holding them downwards was too hard, so I held them with my arms pointing upwards (bent, though) so the weight of the brick was also on my arm. But that put so much pressure on my wrists that it was a full 24 hours before I could actually pick anything up with my right hand, it was so messed up.