Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 06-14-2014, 11:12 PM

It sounds really interesting and in a similar style of other series I've loved, so I'm definitely excited to give it a try! I just bought 10 books though so it probably won't be until next week, but once I get it in I'll add it to my reading list! I see there's already at least 5 books out, so I'm wayyy behind lol! If I like it hopefully it won't be too hard catching up! About how long are the books running? Is the print fairly small or on the larger side?

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 06-15-2014, 02:43 AM

Oh whoa, I didn't realize that there was a 5th book, or that there is a 6th book coming! I heard that the series was supposed to just a trilogy, but I guess it grew in the telling.

The first three books, which I have, are about 500-600 pages each, with smallish text. The type setting isn't too dense though, and the writing and story move briskly so I can read 100 pages in a sitting without too much trouble. I read the first book in a couple days.

Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 06-16-2014, 07:29 PM

Lol! Yup! According to Amazon Search anyways! Maybe the next 3 books are a spin-off or something? No idea lol!

Page length isn't too bad! A little longer than I was expecting but I've read longer lol! (Read one of the HP books that was over 1,000 pages in 1 day) Text size scares me a little though lol I have Fibro that attacked my eye muscles so it's hard to read smaller text - I think I might have to whip out a reader magnifier depending on the size! I think it'll probably cover the whole page though so I won't have to keep moving it around since my reader is pretty big - I think it came in paperback so I should be good - excited that they're longer than I was expecting though! :D

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 06-17-2014, 05:09 AM

Hopefully the text wont be too small! I think it's fairly standard sized, definitely not the smallest I've seen.

I've read my share of long Harry Potter books in one sitting too. I miss the excitement of release parties and staying up all night to read the next installment.

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 06-18-2014, 06:32 PM

I've never been to a Harry Potter release party, which is surprising considering how I'm a Harry Potter nut. But, there's a couple of reasons:
The major one--the closest one was at least three hours away, and gas is way too expensive for that trip.
The probably minor one--wouldn't have been able to get the book a the party anyway XD

But I still got the books the day they came out anyway; my godparents are geeks like me and my parents (probably why they're friends with my parents ) and their son is a Harry Potter nut as well. So, each time a new book came out, a copy would be delivered on our doorstep the ay it came out....and I'd be several chapters into it by the time I went to bed!

Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 06-18-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chexala View Post
Hopefully the text wont be too small! I think it's fairly standard sized, definitely not the smallest I've seen.

I've read my share of long Harry Potter books in one sitting too. I miss the excitement of release parties and staying up all night to read the next installment.
If it is at least I'll have a back-up! Hopefully I won't need it though :3 I've mainly used it for textbooks that are wayyy outdated and tiny lol!

Me too! I never made it to a release party because there weren't any near our area, but I always got it day of release - or sometimes Walmart or Price Chopper would have a special midnight release selling - not really a party, but you could go pick up the book - did that a few times! It's so exciting when a new book is released!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiyoTsuki View Post
I've never been to a Harry Potter release party, which is surprising considering how I'm a Harry Potter nut. But, there's a couple of reasons:
The major one--the closest one was at least three hours away, and gas is way too expensive for that trip.
The probably minor one--wouldn't have been able to get the book a the party anyway XD

But I still got the books the day they came out anyway; my godparents are geeks like me and my parents (probably why they're friends with my parents ) and their son is a Harry Potter nut as well. So, each time a new book came out, a copy would be delivered on our doorstep the ay it came out....and I'd be several chapters into it by the time I went to bed!
I know how you feel - I feel like I missed out because I heard you could dress in costume, there was trivia and other games, etc.! It would have been so amazing!! Kind of like a convention but just for Harry Potter!! I've never been to a convention either xD;

Haha! Most of my cousins were into the books as well! I once had 2 of my Aunts/Uncles give me the 4th HP book as a gift - it was funny xD; Luckily they both weren't written in so I could return one of them and get a different book!

I started reading it immediately too - it's too hard not to! It was always so horrible waiting for the next one to see what happened, so when it finally came it's like "GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!"

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 06-18-2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Corrin View Post
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]
I know how you feel - I feel like I missed out because I heard you could dress in costume, there was trivia and other games, etc.! It would have been so amazing!! Kind of like a convention but just for Harry Potter!! I've never been to a convention either xD;

Haha! Most of my cousins were into the books as well! I once had 2 of my Aunts/Uncles give me the 4th HP book as a gift - it was funny xD; Luckily they both weren't written in so I could return one of them and get a different book!

I started reading it immediately too - it's too hard not to! It was always so horrible waiting for the next one to see what happened, so when it finally came it's like "GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!"
Yeah...if I could've gotten to one, I prolly would've put together a Hermione costume. I'm that girl. XD

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 06-19-2014, 03:14 AM

I was lucky to live near an awesome local bookstore that held release parties. I went even if I didn't have the cash for the book, because they had games and swag. I still have all the little prizes I got, which I keep tucked into my books. I think my favorite piece of swag is a Quidditch World Cup patch from Goblet of Fire. I didn't go to the party for the 5th book though, because my mom forgot to tell me it was happening. I was furious when I found out and chewed her out before angrily walking into town to buy my copy.

I really wish I could have gone to some of the Harry Potter conventions when they were at their peak. I wasn't involved in those parts of the community, so I didn't realize most of them were happening, but I didn't have the money or resources to go even if I'd known. I still sometimes listen to Snapecast (a podcast devoted to, yes, Snape) and they talk about all the conventions they were going to—and here I am, years later, listening and feeling sad.

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 06-19-2014, 05:09 AM

There were...Harry Potter...CONVENTIONS?!
WAAAAH! How did I not KNOW this?! But then, knowing my dad and his lazy-cheapskateness, he would've managed to go out of his way to ensure we wouldn't have been able to afford going to any.

I can't tell you how sad I was when I saw that my high school didn't have a Quidditch team. They still don't either. Then again, I went to a high school where if you aren't high as hell and having sex with everything that's the opposite gender, you get bullied. So, anyone who admitted they were into Harry Potter usually ended up in lockers or the nurse's office...who did nothing because they were airheads.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 06-19-2014, 05:14 AM

Lately all I'm reading are comics... and single issues, too, so they definitely cannot count towards this. I would count them once I read a graphic novel's worth, though. But all the series I'm following are only about 6 issues in and are released roughly monthly, so... it'll take a while... Graphic novels are roughly 20ish issues, right? I do have some unread graphic novels, though, maybe I should knock those out so I have something to show.

But the comics I'm currently following, if anyone is interested, are She Hulk, Ms. Marvel, Harley Quinn, and Black Widow (severely behind on that one, though). Love me some lady heroes!

As sad as it makes me to say this, reading just isn't a very high priority for me right now. I have trouble finding time for it, and even more trouble focusing on it. I love literature deeply, but right now my brain says no. I like comics because they're fast-paced and brief enough that my brain can uuuusually handle them when I'm in the mood. But a side effect of anxiety disorder is shitty focus/memory which results in terrible reading comprehension for me, so... yeah. :/

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 06-19-2014, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiyoTsuki View Post
There were...Harry Potter...CONVENTIONS?!
WAAAAH! How did I not KNOW this?! But then, knowing my dad and his lazy-cheapskateness, he would've managed to go out of his way to ensure we wouldn't have been able to afford going to any.

I can't tell you how sad I was when I saw that my high school didn't have a Quidditch team. They still don't either. Then again, I went to a high school where if you aren't high as hell and having sex with everything that's the opposite gender, you get bullied. So, anyone who admitted they were into Harry Potter usually ended up in lockers or the nurse's office...who did nothing because they were airheads.
I knooooow. Whole conventions full of Potter-heads in costume.
I know a guy who plays college quidditch. He regularly invited me to games and practices, but I don't have a car, so I couldn't go over the hill to see them. Now I live even farther away. If I were more sporty, I would consider starting a team where I live, but, well, I'm not very sporty. (And honestly, I would probably do Belegarth or LARPing first.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Who? View Post
Lately all I'm reading are comics... and single issues, too, so they definitely cannot count towards this. I would count them once I read a graphic novel's worth, though. But all the series I'm following are only about 6 issues in and are released roughly monthly, so... it'll take a while... Graphic novels are roughly 20ish issues, right? I do have some unread graphic novels, though, maybe I should knock those out so I have something to show.

But the comics I'm currently following, if anyone is interested, are She Hulk, Ms. Marvel, Harley Quinn, and Black Widow (severely behind on that one, though). Love me some lady heroes!

As sad as it makes me to say this, reading just isn't a very high priority for me right now. I have trouble finding time for it, and even more trouble focusing on it. I love literature deeply, but right now my brain says no. I like comics because they're fast-paced and brief enough that my brain can uuuusually handle them when I'm in the mood. But a side effect of anxiety disorder is shitty focus/memory which results in terrible reading comprehension for me, so... yeah. :/
I have definitely gone through periods of not being able to read much. Sometimes reading just isn't the most important thing going on. I've been reading a lot of manga lately myself.

I'm sorry you are having trouble with anxiety right now though. *hugs*

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 06-25-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chexala View Post
I knooooow. Whole conventions full of Potter-heads in costume.
I know a guy who plays college quidditch. He regularly invited me to games and practices, but I don't have a car, so I couldn't go over the hill to see them. Now I live even farther away. If I were more sporty, I would consider starting a team where I live, but, well, I'm not very sporty. (And honestly, I would probably do Belegarth or LARPing first.)
I've never done much LARPing, if any. As for forming a quidditch team where I live...eh, not enough people would be interested. If anything It'd only result in potatoes and/or eggs getting shoved up the tailpipe of my mom's car (I don't have my own, but still.). I don't live in a very nice town, if you haven't noticed by my description

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 06-25-2014, 09:02 PM

I just...what? People would stuff things in your tailpipe because of openly liking something from a book? I...I...okay, stop the planet, I'll just get off here.

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 06-25-2014, 09:32 PM

Welcome to my world. It's also why I don't advertise where I live in this town.

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 07-14-2014, 07:23 PM

There! I formatted my list so it looks pretty now!

Aryaelle

Old 07-14-2014, 09:15 PM

The books I have read for 2014 are:

Columbine by Dave Cullen
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne
The Fault in our Stars, Looking for Alaska by John Green
The Crucible by Arthur Miller
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

It's not a very impressive list, but I am planning on reading Wuthering Heights and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes later this year. I don't really read much, so I'm proud of how much I have read so far this year.

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 07-16-2014, 01:20 PM

Added you to the front page!

I'm currently reading "Foundation" by Asimov. It's alright- I can understand why it's such a staple of science fiction, but the story itself is pretty dull. None of the action happens on-screen, and the characters change so often that it's tough to get emotionally invested in any of it. I don't think that I'll end up reading the rest of this series.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 07-16-2014, 06:39 PM

I've been meaning to read some Asimov for a long time. Maybe I'll start with something other than the Foundation series.

I just finished reading the Hunger Games trilogy. I ripped through all three books in a couple weeks and enjoyed them all a lot. I'm still digesting my feelings about the details, but overall I thought it was an excellent series.

Because of all the manga I've been reading, I'm just a few books away from my goal of 50 for the year, so I decided to bump my goal up to 75. XD

SuperZombiePotatoe
Spudd

Penpal

Old 07-17-2014, 11:26 AM

Book thread, why have I not posted here?

VeraDark
fgsfds

Old 07-17-2014, 11:34 AM

I read all three Hunger Games novels over the course of maybe two days.

I wonder myself why I haven't posted here.

I tend to go through about 4 or 5 books a week, except for times when I'm too busy to read. I write a lot, and Stephen King said reading a butt-load of books all the time is the key to good writing, and I agree with him.

Asimov? He's pretty good, but you have to already be a fan to like some of his stuff.

Terry Pratchett, on the other hand, there's 50 books right there, and I may just have read every single one he ever wrote. He could read the phone book to me over Skype and I'd just sit there and listen, hoping he'd make some fun little comment here and there about a particularly funny name.

I'll totally participate in this, though I'm sort of "read out" right now. I'll totally get on it and participate though.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 07-17-2014, 07:12 PM

I started reading Pratchett last year and loved every minute of it! His novels with Sam Vimes are my favorites. I've tried to venture into the other Discworld storylines, but there's just something about the Night Watch that tickles me the most.

VeraDark
fgsfds

Old 07-17-2014, 07:18 PM

Oh, and it evolves!

Just wait'll he's Commander Vimes!

Terry Pratchett's characters are the most undeniably HUMAN of any I've ever met, and even the lowliest of them all has something about them that is lovable in some way.

Unless, of course, he wants you to dislike them, in which case you can tell, and be assured they'll die or be punished.

Even then, you understand why they went bad.

He's extremely thorough, and I'm amazed the books aren't twenty times longer for all the detail that goes into them.

He is a god of writing. I would have his babies, and I don't say that about anyone.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 07-17-2014, 08:47 PM

Commander Vimes, and Duke Vimes, and the richest man in the city! Man, does he hate that.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 07-18-2014, 01:15 AM

Oh Pratchett is a such a delight. I'm ashamed to say I've only read a few of his books, but I loved them a ton. Of those few, Going Postal was my favorite. The reluctant hero is named Moist, which earns a lot of points from me, and his love interest is aloof, chain-smoking, and having none of Moist's nonsense.

SuperZombiePotatoe
Spudd

Penpal

Old 07-18-2014, 08:16 AM

Did anyone see the mini-series they made of The Colour of Magic? A friend told me about it...